What to look for in a CPO '14 or '15 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
What to look for in a CPO '14 or '15 MDX

Hi there. First, a quick intro. I'm Andy and I live in southern NH. I've owned/leased many Acuras over the years. Current stable includes the 3 vehicles in my signature at the bottom. Previous to my '15 RDX I had a '13 MDX SH-AWD base model, so am familiar with that gen of the MDX. When I made the jump to the RDX I was convinced that the smaller size, move from SH-AWD to AWD, and the overall capabilities of the RDX would be the right move for me. Now that my lease is nearing the end, I've decided that those reasons weren't really sound ones. In particular, the creature comforts / capabilities of the MDX are things I've missed, and above all, the SH-AWD is something I don't want to go another winter without. I could go and lease a '17 MDX and move onward. However, as I head towards retirement, I'm thinking that owning is a better option since the income will go away at some point.

So my initial search has found a decent number of '14 and '15 MDXs coming off of lease. Overall I like the changes made to the 3rd gen, and understand the change of transmission from 6 speed to 9 speed happened in the '16 model year. I'm trying to focus on Advance SH-awd models to maximize what I get, and looking at CPO's primarily to get what I can out of a remaining warranty. My question is - what should I be looking for when checking these out? Are the first year of the 3rd gen's more prone to issues (transmission, suspensioni, etc) than the second year? Would love to get some input from '14 or '15 owners as to what they like, and what would push them to a newer model year.

thanks - andy
Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX SH-AWD tech and have been very happy with it. I selected it over the 2016 as you have mentioned because I like the way the 6 speed shifts over the 9 speed. If the choice is between the 14 and the 15 all things being equal I would go with the 2015. The reason for this is the audio display on the '15 displays more music information on the lower screen than the '14 does.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX Tech manufactured in July 2014.I love the car.I have had a few small problems,but if you go with a 2014,get one made later in the model year if you can.The first year bugs may have been fixed.I like the 6 speed tranny also over the 9 speed.I will keep mine until the new model appears,at least.There is a suspension update that they did to eliminate rear end thumping noise you should check into.

Last edited by funtogo; 06-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Iirc the 2014 6 speed was the same one used from 2010-2013 in the MDX. I have heard of very few issues related to that transmission, I think none for the 3G MDX. I also recall that in 2015 Acura did a bunch of little updates that enhanced overall use ability of the car. So my vote is for a late model 2015 MDX because it gave them a year to work out the kinks and also you avoid that nasty (by design) 9 speed auto. The only thing you miss out on by not going with a 2016+ model is the SH-AWD Gen 2.0. It can apparently overroatate the rear wheels by 2.7% vs 1.7% but is now electromagnetic vs hydraulic.