AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   What IDS mode do you drive in traffic (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/what-ids-mode-do-you-drive-traffic-977923/)

Michael2NB 03-13-2019 01:32 PM

What IDS mode do you drive in traffic

Hi Everyone,

Please share here what IDS mode you choose when you are driving in very terrible traffic(stop and go).

Thank you

neoshi 03-13-2019 01:57 PM

Sport

Michael2NB 03-13-2019 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 16397460)
Sport

I figured out Sport is the only IDS mode that I can drive smoothly in the stop and go traffic, in other 2 modes, I always let go of the gas when it is shifting to 2nd gear, and that causes the car to jerk/jump, so I guess Sport extend the shift point, so it is smooth.

neoshi 03-13-2019 02:03 PM

Yeah the other modes are a bit too delayed in throttle response, so I always just drive in Sport.

JSakaBuck 03-13-2019 04:46 PM

Here in the Northeast, with winter road conditions, I travel around in comfort. Once the weather and roads improve, I normally drive in normal.

bmoua15 03-13-2019 11:56 PM

Sport mode, sometimes when it's the family and I Comfort.

bobby2478 03-14-2019 10:32 AM

2019 and I started to use Comfort mode but otherwise would use Normal.

FYI, for IDS mode Sport doesn't change shifting pattern I don't believe, for that you need to enable Sport mode on the transmission shifter correct? They are 2 separate settings

TSX69 03-14-2019 12:01 PM

Comfort Mode 24/7

Altho I prefer the firmer steering of the other modes, I keep it in comfort mode out of fear of negatively affecting the mileage.

I believe that only Sport & Sport + would lower your MPGs but I have not tried gambling with Normal Mode yet.

Michael2NB 03-14-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by bobby2478 (Post 16397892)
2019 and I started to use Comfort mode but otherwise would use Normal.

FYI, for IDS mode Sport doesn't change shifting pattern I don't believe, for that you need to enable Sport mode on the transmission shifter correct? They are 2 separate settings

Hi Bobby, thank you for the reply, but as I search online, the IDS mode sport does effect the shifting point, please check the below link.

https://www.acura.com/tlx/features#driving-modes

Michael2NB 03-14-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TSX69 (Post 16397951)
Altho I prefer the firmer steering of the other modes, I keep it in comfort mode out of fear of negatively affecting the mileage.

I believe that only Sport & Sport + would lower your MPGs but I have not tried gambling with Normal Mode yet.

When I am in sport mode, I felt like the mpg is drop by 1 or 1.5.

bobby2478 03-14-2019 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Michael2NB (Post 16397977)
Hi Bobby, thank you for the reply, but as I search online, the IDS mode sport does effect the shifting point, please check the below link.

https://www.acura.com/tlx/features#driving-modes

After reading the manual it says there is a setting to sync the transmission sport mode with IDS sport mode, or they can be controlled separately. I didn't realize there was a setting to sync these

bobby2478 03-14-2019 03:40 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but i just tried on my 19 advance and if I'm in Drive and select SPORT via IDS the transmission remains in DRIVE. I have to manually press the D/S button to get to SPORT. Same thing the other way, If I'm in Drive and NORMAL/COMFORT IDS and I press D/S then only the transmission changes to SPORT, IDS remains in the mode it was in previously. Only way to tell it's in SPORT IDS is the color/shading in the MID is in red. I looked through all settings and I couldn't find anything that syncs the 2 together. Am I missing something? It appears they are 2 separate settings and not synced together....

Michael2NB 03-14-2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by bobby2478 (Post 16398090)
Maybe I'm missing something, but i just tried on my 19 advance and if I'm in Drive and select SPORT via IDS the transmission remains in DRIVE. I have to manually press the D/S button to get to SPORT. Same thing the other way, If I'm in Drive and NORMAL/COMFORT IDS and I press D/S then only the transmission changes to SPORT, IDS remains in the mode it was in previously. Only way to tell it's in SPORT IDS is the color/shading in the MID is in red. I looked through all settings and I couldn't find anything that syncs the 2 together. Am I missing something? It appears they are 2 separate settings and not synced together....

The sport I was talking about, it refers to the "Sport" in IDS, not the transmission "D/S", also, "D/S" button refers to "Drive/Sequential", not "Drive/Sport", in the sequential mode, you are able to use the pedal shift.

bobby2478 03-14-2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Michael2NB (Post 16398093)
The sport I was talking about, it refers to the "Sport" in IDS, not the transmission "D/S", also, "D/S" button refers to "Drive/Sequential", not "Drive/Sport", in the sequential mode, you are able to use the pedal shift.

I had assumed that like with other vehicles pressing "D/S" was to get into "S" mode, and that this would dictate the transmission holding gears longer and also alter shift pattern to make it more aggressive towards sport/performance, hence me referring to it as "Sport Mode", while still having sequential shift mode available via paddle shifters. In the owners manual all it says for D/S in the "S" setting is that this is Used for Automatically changing gears between 1st and 7th (7th gear is used only at high speed) and Driving in the sequential mode.

Since even in "S" you can either have sequential mode on (Indicated by M and the gear number) or off (just displays S), then if the only other change is that it tops out in 7th gear, does it do anything else in terms of holding gears longer to bias it more towards performance? Or is this only controlled by "SPORT" IDS mode?

bobby2478 03-14-2019 04:23 PM

Reading several other posts across multiple forums and press releases from Acura it would appear that "S" from the shifter while this refers to "Sequential mode", you don't have to shift manually, it will automatically shift gears for you unless you use the paddle shifters, which then it enters manual shift mode. This doesn't allow you to use 8th or 9th gears (it stops at 7) and appears to also have a more aggressive shift pattern and holds gears longer for performance.

While the separate "SPORT" IDS mode tightens the steering responsiveness on the steering wheel, more aggressive throttle response (accelerator / gas pedal is more "touchy" but doesn't do anything about shifting pattern or holding gears longer), altered sound control (pipe engine noise through speakers) and tighter suspension (via active dampers).

So in the parlance of other automakers if you want true "Sport" mode, then you have to go into "SPORT" for IDS for tighter steering, throttle response and suspension while also pressing "D/S" to go into "S" mode for more aggressive shifting patterns and to hold gears longer (which I'd imagine would have largest impact on MPG compared to making the gas pedal more "touchy"). Meaning 2 separate settings, where it would make more sense to have the ability to link or "sync" them together so you only had to press 1 button instead of 2.