What the 14 MDX should have looked like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What the 14 MDX should have looked like?

Mind my photoshopping skills as this was done very quickly and there are some rough bits lol. What are everyones thoughts? Few changes. I personally think it makes a big impact in the overall design. I attached the images in this post, not sure how else to attach them

- Body coloured lower mouldings
- larger stock wheels
- Grille taken from the nsx concept
- Glass roof
- Front & rear facias revised
- Actual exhaust finishers
- LED DRL in front & rear bumpers
Attached Thumbnails What the 14 MDX should have looked like?-15mdx.png   What the 14 MDX should have looked like?-15mdxrear.png  
Old 12-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
It pisses me off when people can design vehicles better in their house using photoshot than the Torrence studio!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by weather
It pisses me off when people can design vehicles better in their house using photoshot than the Torrence studio!
LOL thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 03:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
not feeling the grill or the body color matched lower bumper regions...

honestly how much larger do you want the wheels to get? it's an SUV/CUV not a sports car. 19's not big enough?

your glass roof is going to add weight to the car...it would be nice, but not everone actually likes the sunroof in their cars (i like mine fine, but i have friends that dont' care for a simple sunroof in their car).

all the other add ons look good.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
not feeling the grill or the body color matched lower bumper regions...

honestly how much larger do you want the wheels to get? it's an SUV/CUV not a sports car. 19's not big enough?

your glass roof is going to add weight to the car...it would be nice, but not everone actually likes the sunroof in their cars (i like mine fine, but i have friends that dont' care for a simple sunroof in their car).

all the other add ons look good.
Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to go for a more BMW X5/Audi Q7 sporty look with the colour matched cladding, hell maybe even a Type S version of the mdx . As for the glass roof, I think an SUV the price of the MDX really should offer this at least on the top trim model - again if it were to be a Type S model perhaps more HP would solve the weight issue
Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i wouldn't count on a performance model MDX...it's all about being green these days. the type-s...doubtful it would ever make it back into the sedan line up let alone the CUV line up.

keep in mind Acura is trying to cater to the masses...not to the performance nerds like us. personally, i really dont' care for a panoramic roof. i miss the days where cars weren't considered to be a house on wheels with all the little conveniences...i'm waiting for the kitchen sink and a expresso maker and juice bar to be installed in cars.

the MDX needs it's own image which it has with the jewel eyes. it doesn't need to look like a bmw or an audi does it? the '14 MDX has softened in it's looks and leans more towards a oversized wagon at certain angles. the 2G MDX...has much more muscular lines and presence.

have you seen the ronjon renderings?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
All of the new Acuras have shifted from a chiseled look to a more organic stance: more curves, more flowing lines, etc. At least the two recent additions to their lineup. I'm curious if Acura will stick with this theme for the new TL?

Maybe they were sensitive to some of the criticism in the press and from the public regarding their "transformer-like" theme they recently went through and tried to shed that image?

It's kind of funny but Lexus was really into the "organic look," in the mid 2000s and moved towards a more chiseled, edgy appearance (like the new LS460). I personally like the appearance of the last LS460, and considering the amount of those cars I see on the road versus new LS460, maybe that look, that theme appealed more and worked just fine.

Around and around they go. I guess only time will tell how successful this change will be, but I personally think the new MDX is great after driving one and yes, I'm no longer heavy-footed if that says anything.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Given the purpose of the MDX, I don't think that glass roof makes sense, especially since the Advanced models have the rear seat entertainment systems. The other changes you added are largely cosmetic and could probably be addressed with some aftermarket pieces. As for LED DRLs, I get them as a styling exercise and maybe for some specific brand identity things, but I honestly feel like since everyone has them now, they are no longer unique or interesting.

Overall, I feel like the 2014 MDX is a reasonable evolution of the 2G design and for what amounts to Acura's best selling vehicle at the moment, it makes sense not to mess too much with success.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:50 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

Overall, I feel like the 2014 MDX is a reasonable evolution of the 2G design and for what amounts to Acura's best selling vehicle at the moment, it makes sense not to mess too much with success.
Absolutely agree.

Acura should have learned it's "messing with success" lesson well with the 4G TL.

Back some time ago, the 2G/3G TL's were once Acura's best selling vehicle model. But Acura decided to give the 4G TL the dreadful "Power Plenum" styling treatment, which then fucked up the 4G sales real good.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Absolutely agree.

Acura should have learned it's "messing with success" lesson well with the 4G TL.

Back some time ago, the 2G/3G TL's were once Acura's best selling vehicle model. But Acura decided to give the 4G TL the dreadful "Power Plenum" styling treatment, which then fucked up the 4G sales real good.
Let's just hope that they learned their lesson well enough when it comes to the TLX. I am antsy to see what they have in store and rumor has it we will see the first iteration at the NAIAS in Detroit in about a month.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
...rumor has it we will see the first iteration at the NAIAS in Detroit in about a month.
That moment can not come soon enough!!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Absolutely agree.

I third this motion! I like it as is, a simple refreshing of the previous look. Enough to look new and fresh without messing with the previous overall design. Our previous MDX had the original shield which was god awfull ugly. After the MMC the grill was less bad (as is now) but they added a just as ugly mustache over the bumper. The new front, though far from excellent, is the best it has looked in in a loooong time, the rear is almost the same, the rear LED frames look cool. In regards to the side look, after adding the sport step and the side moldings it looks just as sporty if not more than the previous versions, without them it looks a little less interesting than before. The interior I find a lot better than before, the more I use the car the more I like the double screen arrangement.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
As for LED DRLs, I get them as a styling exercise and maybe for some specific brand identity things, but I honestly feel like since everyone has them now, they are no longer unique or interesting.
I respectfully disagree. LED's on our new MDX look waaaaaaaay nicer than the circa 1995 Geo Metro halogen DRL's in my 6MT TL.

ADVANCE
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I respectfully disagree. LED's on our new MDX look waaaaaaaay nicer than the circa 1995 Geo Metro halogen DRL's in my 6MT TL.

ADVANCE
Also factually incorrect, there is only one other manufacturer that supplies LED headlights, Audi, and only as part of the hyper expensive package in their most expensive sedans. All the other LEDS on the market are for decoration or DRLs, none replace the main headlamps.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by RL06tech
Also factually incorrect, there is only one other manufacturer that supplies LED headlights, Audi
Not sure what was factually incorrect. I was responding to his knock on LED DRL's (aka Daytime Running Lights).

I will take LED DRL's over Halogen DRL's all day long.

Wasn't talking about headlights.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Not sure what was factually incorrect. I was responding to his knock on LED DRL's (aka Daytime Running Lights).

I will take LED DRL's over Halogen DRL's all day long.

Wasn't talking about headlights.
Not saying they don't look nice, but just saying that they are so me-too these days that it doesn't feel unique or special anymore.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RL06tech
Also factually incorrect, there is only one other manufacturer that supplies LED headlights, Audi, and only as part of the hyper expensive package in their most expensive sedans. All the other LEDS on the market are for decoration or DRLs, none replace the main headlamps.
Actually, I believe the recently introduced Kia K900 sedan also has LED headlamps.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 PM
I feel the need...

Not saying they don't look nice, but just saying that they are so me-too these days that it doesn't feel unique or special anymore.
Point taken. But for a company with the marketing tagline ADVANCE, it sure is nice that they've finally gotten around to dumping the circa 1995 halogen DRL's.

Acura's all growns up and she's all growns up!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
then you should not be PO by this photo shop because that design sucks...
Old 12-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the Cadillac Escalade Platinum in 2011 has LED headlights and I believe are now standard on the 2013's...I could be wrong on the std. part but I know the platinum Escalade has had LED headlights for at least a couple years.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nothing wrong with the current look