TSB fixes fuel door gap - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

TSB fixes fuel door gap

Old 04-29-2018, 10:08 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
andysinnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Merrimack, NH
Posts: 448
Thanked 80 Times in 69 Posts
TSB fixes fuel door gap

At my last visit to the dealer I asked them to perform TSB 18-007 in order to add a new gas filler door liner that adds a cover to deflect water away from the cap less filler flaps. A side effect of that replacement is that the filler door now fits much more flush with the body. Must have changed the striker latch distance. Happy.
andysinnh is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 11:00 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
p07r0457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 250
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
You just “asked” and they did the TSB? I went to two different dealers and both refused. I even called Acura Client Relations and complained and they refused to instruct a dealer to perform the TSB for me. They said unless I had experienced a frozen fuel filler and gotten stranded, they wouldn’t help me. No “preemptive” fixes. I ended up paying out of pocket at the parts department to buy the new parts and installed them myself.

It’s frustrating that Acura knows about problems, releases fixes, and then tells me they’d rather I get stranded than fix my vehicle. It’s doubly frustrating that they then fix your MDX and demonstrate they just don’t give a shit about me or my business.
p07r0457 is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 08:51 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
andysinnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Merrimack, NH
Posts: 448
Thanked 80 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
You just “asked” and they did the TSB? I went to two different dealers and both refused. I even called Acura Client Relations and complained and they refused to instruct a dealer to perform the TSB for me. They said unless I had experienced a frozen fuel filler and gotten stranded, they wouldn’t help me. No “preemptive” fixes. I ended up paying out of pocket at the parts department to buy the new parts and installed them myself.

It’s frustrating that Acura knows about problems, releases fixes, and then tells me they’d rather I get stranded than fix my vehicle. It’s doubly frustrating that they then fix your MDX and demonstrate they just don’t give a shit about me or my business.
I don't know how to respond to this. I did have a situation this winter where water had gotten into the first flap area and had ice in the filler drain area, but wasn't bad enough to prevent me from filling the tank. At the time I sort of chalked it up to the design, but when I stumbled across the TSB (when the navigation one showed up) I mentioned it to the dealer and they performed the TSB without question. I do believe that much of this lies with the specific dealer, and in many cases the relationship each of us have with them.. In my case I've been buying/leasing Acuras from the same dealer since 1990, and we have a long-standing relationship of working to isolate/resolve oddball issues and do ongoing maintenance - sort of a partnership if you will. There are many TSB's that are there that cover areas I've not had issues with, and I don't press those issues. But when I have experienced a problem in a TSB area, this dealer has been more than reasonable in working with me to get the problem resolved.

andy
andysinnh is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 09:01 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
p07r0457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 250
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Maybe. But if that's truly the issue, then I think it's bullshit for Acura or any dealer to hide behind it. Over the last 10 years I've purchased 3 Honda car/SUVs, 1 Acura SUV, and 3 Honda motorcycles. All except my Acura were purchased on the West coast, where I did have good relationships with the dealers. The last three times I even financed with AHFC/AFS. I relocated to the East coast, so I don't have the luxury of leveraging "history" with a dealer... But I did buy my MDX locally. Dealer still wouldn't do the TSB. But even if I hadn't bought the MDX from them I think it's offensive to be refused the repair. The dealer gets paid by Acura to do the work, so it's not like they lose money. And dealers should be trying to earn the NEXT sale -- not punishing me because I moved my family across the country.
p07r0457 is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 09:04 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
andysinnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Merrimack, NH
Posts: 448
Thanked 80 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
Maybe. But if that's truly the issue, then I think it's bullshit for Acura or any dealer to hide behind it. Over the last 10 years I've purchased 3 Honda car/SUVs, 1 Acura SUV, and 3 Honda motorcycles. All except my Acura were purchased on the West coast, where I did have good relationships with the dealers. The last three times I even financed with AHFC/AFS. I relocated to the East coast, so I don't have the luxury of leveraging "history" with a dealer... But I did buy my MDX locally. Dealer still wouldn't do the TSB. But even if I hadn't bought the MDX from them I think it's offensive to be refused the repair. The dealer gets paid by Acura to do the work, so it's not like they lose money. And dealers should be trying to earn the NEXT sale -- not punishing me because I moved my family across the country.
Final thought - given you're down in the NC area it might be that the frequency of seeing a filler-neck freeze up is either non-existent, or in the belief that it couldn't happen that far south (speculation on my part). I'm in NH, and it's far more frequent that ice/freezing issues cause problems. I haven't seen any unwritten details, but maybe this TSB is regionally-limited? Hard to tell.....
andysinnh is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 09:09 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
p07r0457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 250
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh View Post
Final thought - given you're down in the NC area it might be that the frequency of seeing a filler-neck freeze up is either non-existent, or in the belief that it couldn't happen that far south (speculation on my part). I'm in NH, and it's far more frequent that ice/freezing issues cause problems. I haven't seen any unwritten details, but maybe this TSB is regionally-limited? Hard to tell.....
Yes, that may be why the dealers resisted, initially. I do think the dealers should have performed the repair, anyway, after I pushed them. Acura Client Relations should have absolutely instructed the dealer to perform the repair, imo. NC had two uncharacteristically bad freezes, this year (so I'm told -- it was my first winter here, and it wasn't any worse to me than any Oregon winter). My wife did experience some freeze-related issues with her Infiniti while she was parked outside. Thankfully I have the luxury of using a garage both day and night... But we do take road trips up north, exploring our new side of the country. We also plan to go back to Oregon, at some point, and OR, ID, WY, CO, NE, etc are along the way and they get plenty cold.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread.
p07r0457 is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 09:14 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
andysinnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Merrimack, NH
Posts: 448
Thanked 80 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
Yes, that may be why the dealers resisted, initially. I do think the dealers should have performed the repair, anyway, after I pushed them. Acura Client Relations should have absolutely instructed the dealer to perform the repair, imo. NC had two uncharacteristically bad freezes, this year (so I'm told -- it was my first winter here, and it wasn't any worse to me than any Oregon winter). My wife did experience some freeze-related issues with her Infiniti while she was parked outside. Thankfully I have the luxury of using a garage both day and night... But we do take road trips up north, exploring our new side of the country. We also plan to go back to Oregon, at some point, and OR, ID, WY, CO, NE, etc are along the way and they get plenty cold.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread.
No worries - welcome to the east coast! The Northeast is a pretty crazy region in the winter - and in the central area of NH it can become frozen-tundra like - and things freeze up that you'd never think would be an issue. I just took the studded snow tires off my son's ILX this weekend since he travels further north - and even in late April - you just never know.....

andy
andysinnh is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 12:20 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 71
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I have a one-week old, 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid, and it has the fix (the hood over the filler opening) described in the TSB. But in my car the door is still misaligned, so I think the OP is lucky on that score. The latch looks unadjustable to me.
wallyo is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 01:41 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
andysinnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Merrimack, NH
Posts: 448
Thanked 80 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
I have a one-week old, 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid, and it has the fix (the hood over the filler opening) described in the TSB. But in my car the door is still misaligned, so I think the OP is lucky on that score. The latch looks unadjustable to me.
I think that in general the filler door sticks out further in the MDX than it does with the wife's TL or my RDX did - but the specs do say that it it supposed to stick out about 1mm from the body panel at the rear of the door. In my case it's now about that distance, but before it stuck out a lot more. I guess "misalignment" is a relative term.....
andysinnh is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 02:59 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 71
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Mine's one or two mm, and it doesn't really bother me, though I notice it. The rest of the car, interior and exterior, is really quite well put together. I came from a 2016 Subaru Outback, which is another story altogether, except for the drive train, which is excellent (an H-6 and very good CVT, which I normally don't like) .
wallyo is offline  
Old 08-23-2018, 04:46 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
hawkeye62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 381
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
I have a one-week old, 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid, and it has the fix (the hood over the filler opening) described in the TSB. But in my car the door is still misaligned, so I think the OP is lucky on that score. The latch looks unadjustable to me.
I had the TSB installed Wednesday. I see no change in the fit of the filler door.
Regards, Jim
hawkeye62 is offline  
Old 08-23-2018, 05:19 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 71
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
I had the TSB installed Wednesday. I see no change in the fit of the filler door.
Regards, Jim
I don't think the TSB has anything to do with the fit of the door--it's aimed at keeping water from gathering in the filler neck. I found a very easy solution for the door fix, and posted it here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...l-door-971743/
wallyo is offline  
Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
hawkeye62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 381
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
I don't think the TSB has anything to do with the fit of the door--it's aimed at keeping water from gathering in the filler neck. I found a very easy solution for the door fix, and posted it here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...l-door-971743/
Yeah, BUT my 2017 MDX doesn't have a "bolt" sticking out. It has a square post that fits in the square hole in the filler door bracket. And the fit is snug, so there isn't room for any "cap" fitting over the post. Maybe a gob of epoxy on the end of the square post would work.
Regards, Jim
hawkeye62 is offline  
Old 08-23-2018, 07:58 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 71
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
Yeah, BUT my 2017 MDX doesn't have a "bolt" sticking out. It has a square post that fits in the square hole in the filler door bracket. And the fit is snug, so there isn't room for any "cap" fitting over the post. Maybe a gob of epoxy on the end of the square post would work.
Regards, Jim
They're all square posts that fit into the square hole on the door bracket, including mine. The cap will work, but you may have to try a few different ones. None are too big to fit in the square hole, but some are too tight on the square post and some are too loose. Select one that's snug.
wallyo is offline  
Old 08-23-2018, 08:24 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 71
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I should have said it in the previous post, but if the door is high, you can push on it and make it flush. If the square bolt was really too big, you wouldn't have that play. The rubber cap takes up the play.
wallyo is offline  
Old 08-24-2018, 08:41 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
hawkeye62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 381
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
They're all square posts that fit into the square hole on the door bracket, including mine. The cap will work, but you may have to try a few different ones. None are too big to fit in the square hole, but some are too tight on the square post and some are too loose. Select one that's snug.
Sorry, no way ANY cap will fit in the square hole in MY door bracket. The only thing that would fit would be a square cap about 1/32 inch thick.
Maybe I will try one of those little rubber "feet" that are used to keep stuff from sliding on table tops.

Regards, Jim
hawkeye62 is offline  
Old 08-27-2018, 06:10 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 71
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
Sorry, no way ANY cap will fit in the square hole in MY door bracket. The only thing that would fit would be a square cap about 1/32 inch thick.
Maybe I will try one of those little rubber "feet" that are used to keep stuff from sliding on table tops.

Regards, Jim
You must have a smaller square hole than I have.
wallyo is offline  
Old 08-27-2018, 06:26 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 37
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
You must have a smaller square hole than I have.
Wow, his must be a virgin, lol.
VMDX is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 08:31 AM
  #19  
Forum Contributor
 
EE4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago NW Burbs
Age: 42
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,060 Times in 457 Posts
See TSB 18-073 - Fuel Fill Door Rear Edge Does Not Line Up in the 2017-2019 TSB threads.
EE4Life is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
recycledpaper
First Generation CL Discussion (1997-1999)
31
10-30-2005 12:03 AM
jkozlow3
First Generation TSX Discussion (2004-2008)
29
10-10-2005 04:04 PM
greendestiny
First Generation TSX Discussion (2004-2008)
7
10-10-2005 12:35 PM
MoFocker
1G TSX Problems & Fixes
6
06-03-2005 11:04 AM
ArN 2000 TL
Car Parts for Sale
3
07-23-2003 06:43 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSB fixes fuel door gap


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.