AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   Transfer case & Rear differential oil change. (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/transfer-case-rear-differential-oil-change-976364/)

Reinnie 01-12-2019 01:08 PM

Transfer case & Rear differential oil change.

After reading through the forum and google, I read that rear differential fluid should be changed every 15k. The dealer told me they never change the rear...fluid oil. Therefore I decided to do it myself. After watching some YouTube videos and how to, the transfer case is at front and Rear D. Is at back.
Here’s what I’m confused about:
1. Is Acura Hypoid oil same as Acura DPSF oil?
2. Do the transfer case & Rear D use the same oil? And do they both need to be changed at the same time?

Thank you!

Reinnie 01-12-2019 01:25 PM

I’m confused because a post from 14’ in TL forum stated DPSF is used for Rear and Hypoid is used for Transfer, but according to videos on YouTube, I see them using Hypoid for Rear.

Wander 01-13-2019 10:18 PM

NO! Hypoid gear oil is NOT the same as DPSF.

The front transfer case requires hypoid gear oil. It doesn't have to be Acura's. I usually use Mobil 1 75W-90. It helps to have a small fluid pump. The transfer case lube is typically replaced on the same schedule as the automatic transmission fluid, but they are completely separate. It doesn't need to get changed very often.

The rear differential requires Acura DPSF fluid. If you get confused, DPSF is embossed on the differential case right above the fill port. No joke. This is to remind people not to put VTM-4 fluid or anything else into the thing. ( VTM-4 fluid was used in 1st-gen MDXs ).

Always loosen the fill port first, then loosen the drain port. That way you know you can refill the thing after you drain it.

You need a small fluid pump, preferably not the same one you used for the hypoid gear oil or anything else. I keep my pumps in labelled ziplock bags to keep them clean. They don't need to be completely drained, just clean.

Service schedules aren't published for 2014 MDX, they go by the maintenance minder, but the "severe service" schedule is 1st change at 7500 miles, then every 15k miles thereafter. The severe service schedule is half the "normal service" schedule, so that works out to 1st change at about 15k miles then every 30k miles thereafter. The MM will shift the schedule to coincide with an oil change, as a matter of convenience to minimize service visits. The oil change interval is adjusted on the basis of driving conditions, but everything else is on a fixed schedule.

Wander 01-13-2019 10:29 PM

BTW, the Sport Hybrid rear differential is different from the mechanical SH-AWD rear differential. It does not use DPSF. I believe it uses hypoid gear oil, but I could be wrong.

Reinnie 01-14-2019 06:14 AM

Thank you so much for a detailed description!! I still don’t understand why dealer told me they never change the Rear Def. oil.

Wander 01-14-2019 04:18 PM

Dunno. But rear diff service is code "6" on the MM ( maintenance minder ) display.

This is for SH-AWD, not FWD. It doesn't make much sense to replace rear differential fluid on a front wheel drive MDX, because there isn't a rear diff.

The Sport Hybrid has a very different mechanism. Per the Owner's Manual, Sport Hybrid requires "twin motor unit fluid", code 6 on the MM, and appears to have the same service schedule as SH-AWD, 15k miles then every 30k miles, or half those numbers for "severe service" in mountainous terrain.

Reinnie 01-14-2019 05:29 PM

B126 showed up on display, therefore I looked up all the codes and saw the R. Def. Inquired that at the dealer and was told they’ve never done R. Def. change for any of the cars. Advisor told me to ignore code 6. To be on safe side, I don’t believe him that’s why I’m going to do it myself. Thanks again for your help!

Wander 01-15-2019 08:16 AM

If you are not completely comfortable doing the fluid change, I would ask to speak to a district Acura representative. I'm sure they will be very interested in this dealer's refusal to perform service that is required under the standard maintenance schedule. The SH-AWD rear differential is similar to a limited slip differential, and the fluid has friction modifiers that degrade over time. Failure to replenish these additives by changing the fluid will eventually cause the differential to shudder and may cause premature wear of the clutch plates in the differential.

The fluid change itself is trivial for any competent mechanic. But it does require the proper fluid.

This may just be a single incompetent service writer ( not exactly a novelty ). Are you located in the south, where AWD is less common?

andysinnh 01-15-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Reinnie (Post 16365296)
B126 showed up on display, therefore I looked up all the codes and saw the R. Def. Inquired that at the dealer and was told they’ve never done R. Def. change for any of the cars. Advisor told me to ignore code 6. To be on safe side, I don’t believe him that’s why I’m going to do it myself. Thanks again for your help!

An Acura dealer who's never done a rear diff change - and tells you to ignore the "6" minder code - is a dealer I'd avoid for most any work. IMHO.

Reinnie 01-15-2019 11:20 AM

I’m in the NE which requires AWD. I think it’s a great idea to contact the Acura district and inquire about dealer not doing Rear D. Change.

Thanks!

neoshi 01-15-2019 02:17 PM

Just a FYI, but the hybrids use ATF-DW1, 2.56 qts. Same for the DCT, but 3.7 qts, so it makes it somewhat easier to just get one fluid for all that drivetrain stuff.

As for Service Advisors, they are just sales people. Don't listen to them about anything technical, EVER. I'm sure all of you will agree that in your lifetime of driving and dealer services, you have probably only ever seen less than a handful competent SAs.