Traded '11 MDX for '14 MDX (Canada) - My Observations

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:02 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
Traded '11 MDX for '14 MDX (Canada) - My Observations

I recently traded my 2011 MDX Nav for 2014 MDX Tech. (My fifth Acura, still have an 08 TL-S which I will never trade.)

Since Acura went from three trim levels to four, they obviously spread the “goodies” around a bit. I would have been happy with the 2014 MDX Nav but they had the lower grade (non-perforated) leather seats, which I didn’t want. The rear heated seats and 9” entertainment system were also “moved up” to the Tech trim and since I had them in the 11 MDX that is a bonus… (Some items appear to be different in Canada compared to the US trim levels – the heated steering wheel for example is awesome and heats instantly.)

Other miscellaneous observations:

Styling – always subjective and I consider it a toss-up. The 11 MDX looked sportier and the 14 MDX looks more refined. I thought I would miss the twin exhaust on the old MDX but the lowliest Kia has them now so it’s a good time to move on.

Headlights – wow! The 14 headlights are easily the brightest and longest throw that I have ever seen. On a dark road at night my daughter thought I was driving with the high beams on.

Seats – still very comfortable but the 11 MDX seats could be adjusted to be perfectly flat (i.e. more forward tilt).

Controls – obviously a less cluttered look but you will not just throw the keys to a buddy and say “take it for a spin” … a short tutorial will be required. I think they should have left the seat heater buttons where they were. The new MID and some of the options (I.e. compass) are neat and the temperature display is separate, which is nice.

Ride and NVH – this is where the 14 MDX really shines compared to the 11 MDX. Much smoother and quieter ride – one of the reasons it feels “less sporty” even though the numbers tell a different tale. This will be much appreciated on longer road trips. I should mention that I kept the all-season tires on the 11 MDX all year round, whereas I am now using winter tires (Michelin X-Ice 2 on 18” Acura OEM wheels) – I suspect that when I go to the all-seasons the ride difference may be even more noticeable.

Brakes – initial impression is that the 14 MDX brakes are softer and require more travel before they bite but it is very early in the break-in period so this may change. (Less than 300 km or 200 miles.)

Fit and finish – I don’t miss the acres of shiny fake wood on the 11 MDX. My 14 MDX has a poorly installed trim piece above the glove compartment but that is an easy fix. Otherwise the finish is excellent. The 11 MDX back seat center arm rest with the pull-out cup holders is nicer than the 14 MDX version – although the new one is easier for small kids to use. The sun visor on the driver’s side can’t be extended like on the 11 MDX – not sure why we lost that since all they had to do was not glue the visor to the metal arm.

Last edited by rgr; 12-02-2013 at 04:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rgr:
Blaz3 (12-03-2013), F23A4 (01-04-2014), TSX69 (01-01-2014)
Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review! I am picking up my '14 MDX later today. Are you overall happy with the newer version?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Are you overall happy with the newer version?
Absolutely.
There are just so many toys and settings that you need to take some time to configure everything to your liking. For example, today I set up the "AHA" radio and I still haven't got all the bugs worked out...

Like I mentioned earlier the biggest positive change is how smooth and quiet the ride is now and the 11 MDX was not bad to begin with. (And did I mention the fantastic headlights!) The only negative is the softer brake feel although it's too early in the break-in period to knock the brakes.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgr
The only negative is the softer brake feel although it's too early in the break-in period to knock the brakes.
i just picked mine up last night, and i immediately noticed this. I preferred the sharper breaks of the RDX.

I am just installing the AcuraLink app, and will be setting up a user shortly. This looks like a lot of fun for geeky people like me.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Congrats.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by rgr
Controls – obviously a less cluttered look but you will not just throw the keys to a buddy and say “take it for a spin” … a short tutorial will be required. I think they should have left the seat heater buttons where they were.
This might sound trivial, but the most annoying thing about the new MDX is moving too many of the HVAC controls to the touch screen. Its more difficult to adjust on the fly and requires taking your eyes off the road too much.

We sold our trusty '08 Tech with only 41k on the odometer, so we didn't really need to upgrade, but overall the new Tech/Ent is a fine upgrade.

Powertrain is much smoother and quieter.
Better utility and room in the second row.
Love, love, love the jewel eyes - much brighter and better throw pattern.

Dislikes:

Speakers and sound package overall could be better, bass sounds weak.
Touch screen is annoyingly slow to respond to commands and haptic feedback adds no value.
I noticed a low pitch whining sound during acceleration which will require a dealer visit already.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just traded an '11 MDX Elite for a '14 Navi. Will give it a qualified 'like' so far. Touch screen a little cumbersome with gloves on (-28C here now), rattle in glove compartment,
sun visor does not slide out anymore to cover that last 3" on driver's window, had to buy new sunglasses as nav screen unreadable with polarized sunglasses, and heat, both seats and heater, slower to come up to temperature than the '11.
Seats really comfortable, very quiet, love the keyless entry, more room in back seats and cargo hold. Nav has been updated and has much more info available. IDS comfort feels like a '64 Buick, normal is good, sport might use sometime - it makes gas pedal a little more responsive. LDW annoying - would probably only use it about the 9th hour of a 12 hour trip. Can tailor the settings more to my taste. Be leaving for a 4 day trip next week, so will see how it does.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Touch screen is annoyingly slow to respond to commands and haptic feedback adds no value.
I find the nav interface clunkier and the nav screen slower to update than in the 11 MDX. As for the touch screen, the first thing I did was to turn off the vibrating feedback...

had to buy new sunglasses as nav screen unreadable with polarized sunglasses
I have prescription polarized sunglasses and have no problems at all with the screens. (I thought I had a problem when I first bought the 11 MDX and the salesman just fiddled with the screen settings and the problem was gone.)

both seats and heater, slower to come up to temperature than the '11
Don't notice a difference with the heater but I find the seats heat up much faster, to the point where I usually turn them off after less than two minutes. The heated steering wheel also warms up instantly, which really reduces the feeling of being cold in the car.

A few other issues with the "updated" electronics:
It seems that most things now take more time (or multiple actions) to complete than before. Yes, the center stack has been simplified but the functionality is worse than in the 11 MDX. For example, in the 11 MDX I could touch the talk button and say "iPod search", now I can't seem to get to "iPod search" without going through at least one additional step first.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Good read. As I'm midway through the lease on my 12 Tech, I'll keep checking back in on this thread before making making the move OR keeping the 12.