What oil grade/brand of oil does your Acura dealer change your oil with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What oil grade/brand of oil does your Acura dealer change your oil with?

I got two complimentary oil changes from the dealer and they were both done with 5W-20 (per the service invoice). The MDX manual "recommends" (rather than require) 0W-20 so it got me wondering if it's just this dealer. I think I remember the oil cap saying 0W-20 though.

I am in NJ and with the winter season around the corner, it would have been nice to get the 0W-20. I'm not sure if there is a *huge* difference between the 0W and 5W, but it would have been nice to get the 0W for the cold winter mornings.

Would it be unnecessary to bring this up?

I mean on one hand they were complimentary (well I had to pay $30 for the full synthetic), so I don't want to seemingly cause a fuss for a favor they're doing for me. It just got me wondering what everyone's dealer is putting stock.

Does anyone know what brand of oil they put? It just says "5W20 shop oil"
Old 11-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I would be upset. Acura recommends 0w20 oil and nothing else. The Acura OEM 0w20 oil is a semi synthetic. A 5w20 oil can be full synthetic, semi synthetic or regular old dino oil. I would want to know what type of 5w20 oil they installed especially since my owners manual for a 2015 TLX ONLY lists 0w20. My Acura dealership only uses Mobil 1 full synthetic. Heck, you can pick it up cheap at Walmart for around $23 or $24 for a container of 5 quarts (full synthetic).
Old 11-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
I think the switch to 0-20w was partly for fuel mileage reasons. I wouldn't sweat it, just make an extra effort to get the proper weight in next time.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by jbawden
I think the switch to 0-20w was partly for fuel mileage reasons. I wouldn't sweat it, just make an extra effort to get the proper weight in next time.
No, 5W-20 and 0W-20 are the same grade when the oil is warm; there will be zero difference in fuel economy between the two.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:08 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
If one don't track the vehicle and follows the factory oil change intervals, it will make no difference to the engine for using any of the synthetic, semi-synthetic, or conventional oil.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:57 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
If one don't track the vehicle and follows the factory oil change intervals, it will make no difference to the engine for using any of the synthetic, semi-synthetic, or conventional oil.
..., unless one extends the oil change intervals to say ten or twelve thousand miles.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Advanced

What oil grade is everyone's dealer using?

Does anyone know what brand of shop oil Acura dealers use? Or does it vary dealer to dealer.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by jchoi5
What oil grade is everyone's dealer using?

Does anyone know what brand of shop oil Acura dealers use? Or does it vary dealer to dealer.
vary's from dealer to dealer.
it's shop oil. designed to go into EVERY car....
lol what is your concern???????????????
Crashmaster is a acura tech, so he's more "by the books" kinda guy.

the lot of us are regular people, some with engineering degrees, etc.

it really DOESNT matter what the shop oil is...thus the varying answers you have gotten.
it really DOESNT matter.
The following users liked this post:
jchoi5 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
vary's from dealer to dealer.
it's shop oil. designed to go into EVERY car....
lol what is your concern???????????????
Crashmaster is a acura tech, so he's more "by the books" kinda guy.

the lot of us are regular people, some with engineering degrees, etc.

it really DOESNT matter what the shop oil is...thus the varying answers you have gotten.
it really DOESNT matter.
It's a curiosity thing. I wasn't implying what brand matters or what brand doesn't, I guess the informed consumer in me just wanted to know what is going into my engine. I know now it varies dealer to dealer.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by jchoi5
It's a curiosity thing. I wasn't implying what brand matters or what brand doesn't, I guess the informed consumer in me just wanted to know what is going into my engine. I know now it varies dealer to dealer.
Gotcha!
oil topics are discussed ad nauseam thus my response.
if you are purely curious, I would press Crashmaster as he is the Acura Tech
The following users liked this post:
jchoi5 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
The only difference between the cheapest store brand and the most expensive name brand oils is the additive package. All oils meet a specific API spec as marked on its packaging. Everything else is hype.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Donn0128
The only difference between the cheapest store brand and the most expensive name brand oils is the additive package. All oils meet a specific API spec as marked on its packaging. Everything else is hype.
Not sure where you got that information from, but, assuming you were referring to synthetic oil, your information couldn't be more incorrect.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made. Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials.

Synthetic oil is used as a substitute for petroleum-refined oils when operating in extreme temperature.[1] Aircraft jet engines, for example, require the use of synthetic oils, whereas aircraft piston engines do not.[2] Synthetic oils are also used in metal stamping to provide environmental and other benefits when compared to conventional petroleum and animal-fat based products.[3] These products are also referred to as "non-oil" or "oil free".

Old 11-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Donn0128
Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made. Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials.

Synthetic oil is used as a substitute for petroleum-refined oils when operating in extreme temperature.[1] Aircraft jet engines, for example, require the use of synthetic oils, whereas aircraft piston engines do not.[2] Synthetic oils are also used in metal stamping to provide environmental and other benefits when compared to conventional petroleum and animal-fat based products.[3] These products are also referred to as "non-oil" or "oil free".
Thank you for proving my point, synthetic oils can be built up from four main bases which are very different.