Slight Noise from Steering Wheel When Turning - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Acura MDX Community > 3G MDX Discussion (2014+)
Reload this Page >

Slight Noise from Steering Wheel When Turning

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

I would like to get some feedback from fellow 2017 & up owners about whether your steering wheel is perfectly silent or if you hear a slight noise coming from the clock spring / cable reel area when turning at low speeds.

My wife's 2017 Sport Hybrid with almost 19K miles on the odometer that we've owned since about 14K miles makes a little bit of noise that can only be heard when it's relatively quiet in the car and if you're listening for it . The best way to describe it is to compare it to the sound that a ball bearing makes. Since I don't do a lot of driving in this car, I can't put my finger on whether the steering wheel noise was there from day one or if it got worse since we had the car, but I did happen to hear it today and was curious about whether this is normal in the MDX or if it's something that needs to be addressed.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:06 AM

I bought a brand new 18' model recently and noticed the noise coming from the steering wheel when turning and driving over a manhole cover. Dealer replaced the cable reel and steering wheel assembly, no luck. After a couple more visits to the dealer for checkups, they found the 3 bolts to secure the suspension to the sub frame were not tightened properly, they were loosen. After re-tightened them, noise was gone.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 AM

I bought a brand new 18' model recently and noticed the noise coming from the steering wheel when turning and driving over a manhole cover. Dealer replaced the cable reel and steering wheel assembly, no luck. After a couple more visits to the dealer for checkups, they found the 3 bolts to secure the suspension to the sub frame were not tightened properly, they were loosen. After re-tightened them, noise was gone.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I will say that the steering in a vehicle with electronic power assist isn't as "silent" as a hydraulic unit is (at least at the steering shaft level). I first noticed it in my wife's '12 TL SH-AWD. It had this slight rubbing sound when turning her steering wheel at slow speeds without ambient car noise. I noticed it to a lesser extent in my '15 RDX, and somewhere in the middle with my '17 MDX. It's not a looseness, and it's not like something is rubbing or not lubed properly. It's just a "sound" that you get from the steering shaft. Your best bet is to see if you can drive another MDX the next time you're at the dealer to see if the sound is the same.....
Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by andysinnh View Post
I will say that the steering in a vehicle with electronic power assist isn't as "silent" as a hydraulic unit is (at least at the steering shaft level). I first noticed it in my wife's '12 TL SH-AWD. It had this slight rubbing sound when turning her steering wheel at slow speeds without ambient car noise. I noticed it to a lesser extent in my '15 RDX, and somewhere in the middle with my '17 MDX. It's not a looseness, and it's not like something is rubbing or not lubed properly. It's just a "sound" that you get from the steering shaft. Your best bet is to see if you can drive another MDX the next time you're at the dealer to see if the sound is the same.....
Yes. That pretty much describes what I'm hearing on ours. It's very faint and can really only be heard when it's virtually silent in the car. Thanks!