Notices

Shock issues

 
Old 07-12-2019, 08:00 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 50
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock issues


Ok, I have another question as a MDX newbie. We bought a 2012 elite with 86K miles on it ( minty car ) and unfortunately all the shocks are totally gone now. Banging, knocking and leaking, just horrible. Working with Acura to see of they can help out with the crazy price to replace. So, now I bought a 2017 elite with 60K miles and all is quiet and seems perfect. Did Acura change anything with regards to the quality of the shocks in the later years? Or are they the same as the 2012 and will crap out in due time. I need to know, so I can get on it before the warranty is gone. Thanx for all your help. Cheers. PS, the pick is of my 2002 TRANS AM BABY. Just for fun.
12mdx is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:50 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Age: 73
Posts: 135
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Struts/shocks have a finite life. Usually somewhere between 30 and 100K miles. My old 11 year Suzuki was still going strong on original at 85K miles. I have also seen them fail at 20 thou. Like any mechanical component it can fail at any time. Anything of 60K I would be replacing them. And NO you do not need to buy high priced Axura parts. Places like Rockauto have a wide range of products at decent prices.
Donn0128 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 PM
  #3  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,180
Received 14,146 Likes on 10,510 Posts
Great answer Donn0
justnspace is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 PM
  #4  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,691
Received 592 Likes on 493 Posts
The 2nd Gen MDXs (07-09 Sport and 10-13 Advance/Elite) had magnetic struts and shocks for the Active Damper System (ADS). They also had 19" wheels, larger front and rear stabilizing bars, and auto leveling H.I.D. if you had a heavy load in the hatch and/or towing. The ADS system also stiffened the struts/shocks for less dive in braking, less squat on acceleration, and less lean in the curves along with larger stabilizer bars.

Acura stopped using the magnetic struts/shocks with the 2013 MDX. This suspension system had a very high and random failure rates of 30,000 miles to 100,000 miles. I've replaced my fronts at 35,000 miles and my rears at 107,000 miles (both times under warranty). Many folks just convert to standard struts/shocks at a fraction of the cost compared to around $700-$1000 per corner with the OEM ADS. So far, there isn't an aftermarket replacement magnetic strut/shock available other than OEM.

Acura has switched to electronically controlled dampers for the +17 MDX Sport Hybrid, +19 MDX Aspec, and +19 MDX Advance/Elite versions. I haven't heard of the newer electronic dampers failing yet; but, it might just be too early.
mrgold35 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
9SpeedTran (07-14-2019), justnspace (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 PM
  #5  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,180
Received 14,146 Likes on 10,510 Posts
mrgold always has great insight!
justnspace is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 50
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
The 2nd Gen MDXs (07-09 Sport and 10-13 Advance/Elite) had magnetic struts and shocks for the Active Damper System (ADS). They also had 19" wheels, larger front and rear stabilizing bars, and auto leveling H.I.D. if you had a heavy load in the hatch and/or towing. The ADS system also stiffened the struts/shocks for less dive in braking, less squat on acceleration, and less lean in the curves along with larger stabilizer bars.

Acura stopped using the magnetic struts/shocks with the 2013 MDX. This suspension system had a very high and random failure rates of 30,000 miles to 100,000 miles. I've replaced my fronts at 35,000 miles and my rears at 107,000 miles (both times under warranty). Many folks just convert to standard struts/shocks at a fraction of the cost compared to around $700-$1000 per corner with the OEM ADS. So far, there isn't an aftermarket replacement magnetic strut/shock available other than OEM.

Acura has switched to electronically controlled dampers for the +17 MDX Sport Hybrid, +19 MDX Aspec, and +19 MDX Advance/Elite versions. I haven't heard of the newer electronic dampers failing yet; but, it might just be too early.

So I have a 2017 Elite, ( not a sport hybrid ) do I have the electronically controlled shocks?
12mdx is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 08:15 AM
  #7  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,691
Received 592 Likes on 493 Posts
The 17-19 MDX sport hybrids has electronically controlled shocks and an extra Sport+ mode. Acura then added electronically controlled to the +19 Advance/Elite models. Don't know if Acura also added a Sport+ mode with the +19 Elite/Advance models? Not 100% sure about the 19-20 Aspec MDX with electronic dampers (Acura didn't add electronic dampers to the 3rd Gen RDX Aspec). The 2020 MDX PMC MDX should have electronic struts/shocks since it is a combo of Aspec+Elite/Advance MDXs.
mrgold35 is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 01:16 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 128
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find out if your 17 Elite is equipped with Active Damper System (ADS) by checking with VIN decoder; https://acurazine.com/forums/vindecoder.php

I don't have first hand experience with ADS, but heard they are great when working, but real b***h when it's time to replace them at cost of several thousand $$$$. I have 2015 Tech/AWD with regular MacPherson struts, I just replaced fronts with OEM shocks at$180/ea plus shipping from an online dealer, 91,000 miles.

OEM shocks are made by Sack's but for some reason, no aftermarket shocks are available.

Last edited by Sparky16; 07-13-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Sparky16 is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 09:53 AM
  #9  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Connecticut
Age: 28
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a known issue. There's a warranty extension on the front and rear shocks. 7 years from original date of purchase or 100k miles. Whichever comes first. Bring it to the dealer!
acuratech481 is offline  
Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
neoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 473
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by acuratech481 View Post
This is a known issue. There's a warranty extension on the front and rear shocks. 7 years from original date of purchase or 100k miles. Whichever comes first. Bring it to the dealer!
I'm guessing you're talking about the 2G MDX warranty extension? Cuz there sure ain't one for the 3G MDX.
neoshi is offline  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:31 PM
  #11  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Connecticut
Age: 28
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about the 2G MDX warranty extension? Cuz there sure ain't one for the 3G MDX.
The OP said it was a 2012...
acuratech481 is offline  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:34 PM
  #12  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Connecticut
Age: 28
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm dumb, totally misread the post! Don't mind me....the shocks between the 2G and 3G are entirely different. Sorry for the confusion!
acuratech481 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ebernedo86
3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension
12
11-25-2018 12:37 PM
Skunkworkz
First Generation RL (1996-2004)
0
03-03-2015 05:57 PM
aznccnsh
2G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension
1
01-24-2012 05:20 PM
aznccnsh
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
0
01-24-2012 03:20 PM
JORTS
Audio, Video, Electronics & Navigation
10
02-11-2009 12:28 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shock issues


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.