Rear-end collision safety concern.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear-end collision safety concern.

Two days ago my car was rear ended while my kids were at their piano lesson. My car was parked outside the piano teacher's house and luckily we weren't in the car. It was a 30MPH zone and obviously the driver was speeding and not paying attention. She said she saw an animal and tried to avoid it. I call it BS, I think she was most likely on her phone, an 18 yr old driver.

I was surprised about the damage she left on my car, she took off the entire rear tire. Her insurance co. told me it's not totaled because they are estimating a repair of $15k. It was towed to a body shop today and the first impression they have was "why did insurance even sent the car over." Good news body shop told me to start shopping for new car this weekend, they will pass the news to insurance next week.

My apologies for long post, but now I question the rear integrity of MDX. Should I even buy a MDX again?? This is my first time owning an Acura. My previous car was Volvo XC90, my XC90 didn't have this kind of damage when we were rear ended.

I enjoyed my MDX but not sure about the safety, what if we were in the car? She took entire left side of the car and caused the driver door to bent out.

What do you guys thinks?? Buy MDX 17' or not?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yikes!
Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
No, modern cars are meant to crumple in an accident. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Massive hit btw!!
I guesstimate about 40mph without touching the brakes!!

Last edited by justnspace; 06-16-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
No, modern cars are meant to crumple in an accident. Glad no one was hurt.
You're saying it was normal for the MDX to have that kind of damage as along as there's no cabin intrusion?

so ok to buy a MDX again?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad, no one was hurt. I just bought a 2017 MDX and with an 18 month old, I feel the car would provide enough safety. It looks like the body took massive damage but none of that matters if everyone is safe at the end. Compared to my old 02 TL-S, it's from another dimension in terms of safety features.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
If you are concerned with safety, head over to iihs.org and look at the small front overlap tests. MDX has excellent ratings.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
If you are concerned with safety, head over to iihs.org and look at the small front overlap tests. MDX has excellent ratings.
Thanks, I've already looked at that before purchasing this car. I know MDX has high safety ratings but surprisingly these tests excludes rear ended accidents.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I have to say that damage is quite severe, but not necessarily in terms of being more than expected on the MDX. So what I mean by that is that any modern car will get damaged like that from a hit at that speed and angle. Now on the other hand, there is no debating that the XC90 will be a safer car, Volvo obviously prides themselves on being the "safety company" and goes above and beyond to ensure safety from all angles. The other thing to note is that the europeans have much more stringent crash test requirements than we do in North America so there's that to consider as well when comparing crash test results of the XC90 to MDX. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either getting another MDX or stepping up to the big daddy of safety, the XC90.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
I have to say that damage is quite severe, but not necessarily in terms of being more than expected on the MDX. So what I mean by that is that any modern car will get damaged like that from a hit at that speed and angle. Now on the other hand, there is no debating that the XC90 will be a safer car, Volvo obviously prides themselves on being the "safety company" and goes above and beyond to ensure safety from all angles. The other thing to note is that the europeans have much more stringent crash test requirements than we do in North America so there's that to consider as well when comparing crash test results of the XC90 to MDX. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either getting another MDX or stepping up to the big daddy of safety, the XC90.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
That really helps and educational. I was happy with my MDX until this happened and was concerned if it's a good decision to buy another MDX. You have helped me decide to shop for another MDX. I didn't really like my XC90, that's why I switched.

I'm thinking about getting a 17' CPO MDX, with CPO, can I take warranty repair to any dealer or only the dealer where I purchased the car?

thanks!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Vehicles are designed to protect occupants and if you were all in the MDX when this happened you surely would have escaped injury. Engineers could design cars like tanks but then crash energy is transferred to the occupants. The extreme offset of this particular crash concentrated the energy on a small portion of the rear of the car making it look worse. What I'd be concerned about is proper repairs and going after the other drivers insurance for a diminished value claim. Your MDX will show up as having accident damage with significant repairs making your car less desirable in the used market.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you got hit the same exact spot when you had the Volvo, wow, talk about bad luck, at least no one got hurt. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
can you share what car was she driving? a SUV or sedan?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nvasquez269
So you got hit the same exact spot when you had the Volvo, wow, talk about bad luck, at least no one got hurt. Good luck.
no, meant rear ended in the entire back of XC90. I was thinking much after the accident was in shock, but jbawden helped point me to the reasons why there's more damage because it was concentrated on one small spot, which makes total sense.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Reinnie
I'm thinking about getting a 17' CPO MDX, with CPO, can I take warranty repair to any dealer or only the dealer where I purchased the car? thanks!
The Acura CPO warranty would be issued by Acura and warranty work can be done at any Acura dealer.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
OP,

Your car didn't take a rear end hit, your car was side swiped. The point of impact missed the rear bumper reinforcement beam. That bumper beam is connected to the two rear frame rails/floor and where all the strength and energy absorbing features are.

Your car looks really bad because the point of impact only hit sheet metal... The quarter panel.

Cars are design to with stand front, rear, and side impacts but not from the rear/side going forward, the quarter panel area. The weakest part of any car is just behind the back seat to the rear bumper from the side. In this area there is no reinforcement of the sheet metal other than the frame rails. Which is located in-between the rear shock towers under the floor.

You were lucky that no one was inside the car when this happened because the angle if impact may of really hurt someone that was sitting in the left rear seat.

Any car will sustain serious damage when hit from this weird angle because cars are not really designed to be hit from that odd angle. Yes, even your Volvo would of been totaled.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 AM

^that bumper beam is only a 5mph beam...impacts 5MPH and lower the aluminium beam will take the brunt of it..however, anything over 5mph and the beam doesnt come into play
Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 AM
Drifting

LOL,

1. This vehicle is not regulated by the 5 MPH bumper law.

2. Rear bumpers are only 2 MPH when regulated.

3. The bumper law only requires when hit that it protects certain parts or components from damage at the 5 or 2 MPH limit. Ie... Radiator.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM

that aluminium beam is the 5mph bumper.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01acls
lol,

1. This vehicle is not regulated by the 5 mph bumper law.

2. Rear bumpers are only 2 mph when regulated.

3. The bumper law only requires when hit that it protects certain parts or components from damage at the 5 or 2 mph limit. Ie... Radiator.
see #1-3 above.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 AM

^there's also a front aluminium beam. it's the 5mph bumper
Old 06-20-2017, 09:29 AM

and so what if the rear is only regulated to 2mph...i should have said..."low speed impact bumper" same thing...

as anything under 5mph is low speed.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Drifting

and so what if the rear is only regulated to 2mph...i should have said..."low speed impact bumper" same thing...

As anything under 5mph is low speed.
Again this vehicle is not regulated by the bumper law.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 01acls
again this vehicle is not regulated by the bumper law.
well you dont have to be an asshole about it. fucking asshole

Old 06-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Drifting

well you dont have to be an asshole about it. fucking asshole

Bumper law only applies to passenger vehicles. This is a utility vehicle. The Feds didn't want to compromise the usefulness of a utility vehicle by imposing the bumper law on utility vehicles.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Your car did EXACTLY what it is supposed to do in an accident. The Acura is a super safe vehicle. It is designed to destroy the car however save the occupants. Your looking at the body damage and worried about the car, when in return safety is concerned with the occupants had you been inside the car you would less likely to be injured but the car itself be hurt. Honestly a giant Highlander plowing into your car is going to create major damage no matter what car your in depending how hard it gets hit. Best of luck with the new car!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:43 AM
Drifting

^that bumper beam is only a 5mph beam...impacts 5MPH and lower the aluminium beam will take the brunt of it..however, anything over 5mph and the beam doesnt come into play
Your info is inaccurate. That's is not a 5 MPH bumper beam. That beam is a structural part of the unitized body of the vehicle. It's job is to stop anything that is trying to penetrate the car upon impact. Whether its an object or the object's energy force at the front or rear of the vehicle.

The higher the speed of the crash the more important is the role of the bumper beam because the beam doesn't just act as a super strong barrier but it also transfers energy from one side of the frame rail to the other side frame rail as well. Thus disturbing the energy of the impact to a much large area to despite and absorb any energy trying to reach the passenger compartment.

That bumper beam is a critical part of the vehicle's crash worthiness. Regardless of the 5 or 2 MPH bumper law.

​​​​​​
Old 06-21-2017, 02:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
That really helps and educational. I was happy with my MDX until this happened and was concerned if it's a good decision to buy another MDX. You have helped me decide to shop for another MDX. I didn't really like my XC90, that's why I switched.

I'm thinking about getting a 17' CPO MDX, with CPO, can I take warranty repair to any dealer or only the dealer where I purchased the car?

thanks!
No worries! Yes any dealer will take care of warranty repairs because Acura corporate pays the dealer for warranty work so any dealer will take care of it. Good luck with your search. Also remember, sometimes accidents look massive and we get worried thinking the car is made cheaply/unsafely. But keep in mind that you need to look at the INSIDE or the car. Some cars crumple and literally intrude in on the cabin (these are really really bad obviously), others absorb the impact but keep the internal structure sound.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I would check insurance rates for the 17 MDX and XC90 to compared costs. Insurance companies will adjust their rates on the cost of common repairs for a make/model. Since your personal info will be the same for both quotes (age, marital status, driving history, location, employment, etc...); it would be easy to compare them to see if you will save a little extra $$$ when you factor that in for the total cost of ownership of the two different vehicles (car payment, insurance, gas, maint, depreciation, etc...).
Old 06-21-2017, 09:47 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
It is funny how everyone had bought into the myth that the Swedish/Chinese Volvo is safer than anything else on the road.

Fact is that the MDX is just as safe as the Volvo and - quite frankly - you cant compare two accidents.

Here, your car was scraped (a bad "scrape" but still a scrape) that caught the driver's door. I doubt that there would have been injuries had you been driving.

Make sure you get an independent appraisal of the value before the accident.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Been there done that.....similar "side swipe"....

My 2001 Acura MDX was hit in a similar fashion. over 9k in damages.....I demanded that Acura FIX the suspension NOT the body shop....so Acura replaced all that complicated stuff then brought the MDX to a shop THAT KNOW's HOW TO WORK ON A MDX .....once it was fixed I drove to the dealership and traded it ASAP as it was NOT the same.....Start shopping for a new MDX....
Attached Thumbnails Rear-end collision safety concern.-dcp_1889-small-.jpg  
Old 06-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Adult driving too fast so he took that street we were sitting at for red light to turn green....THEN BAM.....i WANTED TO KEEL SOMEONE.....
Old 06-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Messed up his tank too!
Attached Thumbnails Rear-end collision safety concern.-dcp_1876-small-.jpg  
Old 06-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I was sick to my stomach looking at my like new MDX with very little miles on it.....
Attached Thumbnails Rear-end collision safety concern.-dcp_1884-small-.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 12:38 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by nvasquez269
LOL! Same location, same speed, same points of contact and same type of offending vehicle. What are the chances????
Old 07-01-2017, 12:40 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Two days ago my car was rear ended while my kids were at their piano lesson. My car was parked outside the piano teacher's house and luckily we weren't in the car. It was a 30MPH zone and obviously the driver was speeding and not paying attention. She said she saw an animal and tried to avoid it. I call it BS, I think she was most likely on her phone, an 18 yr old driver.

I was surprised about the damage she left on my car, she took off the entire rear tire. Her insurance co. told me it's not totaled because they are estimating a repair of $15k. It was towed to a body shop today and the first impression they have was "why did insurance even sent the car over." Good news body shop told me to start shopping for new car this weekend, they will pass the news to insurance next week.

My apologies for long post, but now I question the rear integrity of MDX. Should I even buy a MDX again?? This is my first time owning an Acura. My previous car was Volvo XC90, my XC90 didn't have this kind of damage when we were rear ended.

I enjoyed my MDX but not sure about the safety, what if we were in the car? She took entire left side of the car and caused the driver door to bent out.

What do you guys thinks?? Buy MDX 17' or not?
Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should by an MDX. Vehicles are designed to crumple to absorb the crash energy, so that you and your passengers don't!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your MDX got hit in a "soft spot" by a "hard point" of the other vehicle. Ever since NTSHA started testing vehicles for small offset front end collisions the front bumpers on most of the newer vehicles have turned into battering rams aka really strong.

Buy another MDX if you like them. They are very safe vehicles.

Also, park somewhere else. Maybe there is something about that spot that sneaks up on drivers and they end up going too fast.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
The Highlander survived well, great Toyota quality!