AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   Potential buyer (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/potential-buyer-979000/)

bgil47 04-23-2019 01:59 PM

Potential buyer

I have been following this web site and the RDX site for some time now and really like both vehicles. I currently have a 2016 honda pilot EXL and its proven to be great car , especially for road trips that my wife and I often take. What it does not have is car play, blindspot, front and back sensors, and built in navigation .
I drove a new RDX a few weeks ago. Fantastic car, very nimble and fast. What I was not crazy about was the way the dash kind of protrudes out to make the drivers position more cockpit like, similar to the NSX. For me, seems like the MDX is the way to go. I am just trying to get a nicer vehicle that builds on what I think are the attributes of the Pilot.
I will be a serious buyer this coming December / January. Right now, I am pretty interested in the Hybrid configuration, but there does not seem to be too many around. Can you factory order a specific car from Acura? I assume that the 2020 MDX models will be at the dealers around september. I believe that the model redesign will be 2021 model year. Anyone have information on that?

Donn0128 04-23-2019 04:16 PM

Special order or have a dealer find and bring it in for you? Sure dealers trade vehicles all the time.
Acuras take 91RON fuel vs Hondas using regular fuel. So extra cost.
The new Honda Pilot or Passport Touring editions have 90% of MDX stuff. There is also a black edition that has more. Other than the front seats I would be driving a Pilot right now. I actually like the Pilots driving position better, but wife hated the fold up arm rests. They seemed really cheezy to her. MDX is going to cost you about 8K more than a comparably equipped Pilot. It it worth it to you? Only you can ansery that. If I was going new, I would sure not get a new body 20 or 21 whwt ever Honda decides to release the new platform. First year vehicles can be more trouble prone than other years. We hwve a 2018 MDX And Im starting to regret getting it. Love driving it, but Im having a lot of problems with electronics. Radio display is failing, GPS is not intuitiave, door locks dont always work as their suppose to, audio system looses sync with phone, driver positions dont always go to set position, etc. All these gizmos seem to not work as their suppose to and Honda sems really slow responding to tech questions.

BLEXV6 04-23-2019 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donn0128 (Post 16415405)
Special order or have a dealer find and bring it in for you? Sure dealers trade vehicles all the time.
The new Honda Pilot or Passport Touring editions have 90% of MDX stuff. There is also a black edition that has more. Other than the front seats I would be driving a Pilot right now. I actually like the Pilots driving position better, but wife hated the fold up arm rests. They seemed really cheezy to her. MDX is going to cost you about 8K more than a comparably equipped Pilot. It it worth it to you? Only you can ansery that. If I was going new, I would sure not get a new body 20 or 21 whwt ever Honda decides to release the new platform. First year vehicles can be more trouble prone than other years. We hwve a 2018 MDX And Im starting to regret getting it. Love driving it, but Im having a lot of problems with electronics. Radio display is failing, GPS is not intuitiave, door locks dont always work as their suppose to, audio system looses sync with phone, driver positions dont always go to set position, etc. All these gizmos seem to not work as their suppose to and Honda sems really slow responding to tech questions.

I was seriously considering the Pilot black edition. The thing is, Acura has low interest rates and incentives, so the cost for the MDX was similar to the Pilot. That and I liked the way the MDX rode better. I am very happy with my choice.

mrgold35 04-23-2019 06:00 PM

Acura seems do the same thing after the MMC for most models. Very minimal changes after the MMC other than cosmetic (Aspec and PMC). The exception was the MDX sport hybrid. It sounds like Acura is going to extend the 3rd Gen model year to 2020 with the addition of the PMC version to the line up. The 4th Gen MDX will be around 85%-90% of what you see with the 3th Gen RDX tech wise and styling. The major differences are styling for 3rd row, minor luxury/tech upgrades, engine choice(s), and probably price increase.

If you don't need towing and like a sportier ride, the sport hybrid is the performance sleeper SUV for you. It took Acura until the 2017 MMC to bring out the MDX sh-sh-awd. I haven't seen any info about a 4th Gen sport hybrid hitting the road in 2021? Getting the 2019/2020 MDX sport hybrid now might be your only chance until the 4th Gen MMC +2023?

bgil47 04-23-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16415471)
Acura seems do the same thing after the MMC for most models. Very minimal changes after the MMC other than cosmetic (Aspec and PMC). The exception was the MDX sport hybrid. It sounds like Acura is going to extend the 3rd Gen model year to 2020 with the addition of the PMC version to the line up. The 4th Gen MDX will be around 85%-90% of what you see with the 3th Gen RDX tech wise and styling. The major differences are styling for 3rd row, minor luxury/tech upgrades, engine choice(s), and probably price increase.

If you don't need towing and like a sportier ride, the sport hybrid is the performance sleeper SUV for you. It took Acura until the 2017 MMC to bring out the MDX sh-sh-awd. I haven't seen any info about a 4th Gen sport hybrid hitting the road in 2021? Getting the 2019/2020 MDX sport hybrid now might be your only chance until the 4th Gen MMC +2023?

I don't need towing anymore, and I do like the idea of a bit more performance. Looks like going for a late 2019 or 2020 hybrid will be the way to go. Like you mentioned, you never know what they are going to carryover to 2021 model year, assuming its the "big redesign "

By the way, how do you like the Greystone interior?

bgil47 04-23-2019 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Donn0128 (Post 16415405)

The pilot has been really good and reliable. we are at 37000 miles with no issues. What we don't like about it is the body roll in mountains. And of course it does not have some of the newer safety features now widely available. I really don't want a lot of tech and what the MDX currently offers would do the job nicely. I am a big pilot supporter, but I do want to try something different this time around .

mrgold35 04-23-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by bgil47 (Post 16415499)
By the way, how do you like the Greystone interior?

I love the contrast of the Greystone with wood trim and black upper trim (added black OEM all weather mats). I have the greystone (called it quartz back then) in my 2006 TSX and it looks and still feels good after +13 years. I watched a lot of YouTube reviews of the +17 MDX and I've noticed the lighter colors like parchment were starting to stain just from the test drives. I might have to look into some type of sealant/conditioning for the greystone since I'm planning to keep +10 years.

There is a lot of tech on my 19 MDX Adv sh-sh-awd; but, you don't have to use it if it not needed. Reviewers complain about the dual screen set up and push button gear shift. It is really a non-issue and 100% fine after a few days and the most I do is change the radio station or change the temp a few degrees in either direction. The only thing I don't like is the apple carplay is on the upper screen and you have to use the knob to select apps. Carplay should be on the lower screen instead or have the option to switch between upper and lower touch screen.

BLEXV6 04-28-2019 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16415514)
I love the contrast of the Greystone with wood trim and black upper trim (added black OEM all weather mats). I have the greystone (called it quartz back then) in my 2006 TSX and it looks and still feels good after +13 years. I watched a lot of YouTube reviews of the +17 MDX and I've noticed the lighter colors like parchment were starting to stain just from the test drives. I might have to look into some type of sealant/conditioning for the greystone since I'm planning to keep +10 years.

There is a lot of tech on my 19 MDX Adv sh-sh-awd; but, you don't have to use it if it not needed. Reviewers complain about the dual screen set up and push button gear shift. It is really a non-issue and 100% fine after a few days and the most I do is change the radio station or change the temp a few degrees in either direction. The only thing I don't like is the apple carplay is on the upper screen and you have to use the knob to select apps. Carplay should be on the lower screen instead or have the option to switch between upper and lower touch screen.

I had the Greystone interior in my last 17 RDX. I find the black interior more to my liking and the only reason I got the Greystone is that black was not offered with the blue exterior colour. I disliked it the 3 years I had it. I find it gets dirty, especially the carpet in the rear hatch area. I had some mulch leak out of the bag and put black stains on the light grey carpet. If it was black it would be a non issue.

Just my preference.

mrgold35 04-28-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by BLEXV6 (Post 16417858)
I had the Greystone interior in my last 17 RDX. I find the black interior more to my liking and the only reason I got the Greystone is that black was not offered with the blue exterior colour. I disliked it the 3 years I had it. I find it gets dirty, especially the carpet in the rear hatch area. I had some mulch leak out of the bag and put black stains on the light grey carpet. If it was black it would be a non issue.

Just my preference.

I always do black all weather mats and cargo liner. Zero issues after that with stains, smells, dirt, or spills. My 19 MDX, 06 TSX and 08 RDX have greystone or taupe interiors; while; my 11 MDX has the ebony. It can get a little dark in my 11 MDX with tinted windows. Sometimes it feels like I'm looking out a cave in my 11 MDX. My other Acuras feel less claustrophobic, a little more airy, and more contrasts/3D depth between surfaces/materials with the lighter interiors. Different stokes for different folks.

bgil47 04-29-2019 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16417880)
I always do black all weather mats and cargo liner. Zero issues after that with stains, smells, dirt, or spills. My 19 MDX, 06 TSX and 08 RDX have greystone or taupe interiors; while; my 11 MDX has the ebony. It can get a little dark in my 11 MDX with tinted windows. Sometimes it feels like I'm looking out a cave in my 11 MDX. My other Acuras feel less claustrophobic, a little more airy, and more contrasts/3D depth between surfaces/materials with the lighter interiors. Different stokes for different folks.

My wife has a 18 Subaru Outback with black interior, and my buddy has a new RDX with parchment. It really is amazing how much difference in the feel of the interior that color makes.
I am going to try and get to the local Acura dealer tomorrow and hopefully test drive an MDX hybrid. I have to admit I am enjoying trying to find the perfect vehicle,
which of course does not exist.

Donn0128 04-29-2019 09:38 AM

I really wanted a black car, but after sitting in a black and a white next to each other we opted for white. Same for the black interior. Have had black and always had to have a towel on the seats all summer. The parchment interior is sooo much cooler.

mrgold35 04-29-2019 09:53 AM

The only issue I'm having with my Fathom Blue Pearl paint is it is so thin and brittle. I had to get some touch-up paint for 3 little chips on the front hood above the lights/grill (plastic bumper parts seems to be OK). The chips are really noticeable because of the light gray primer under the blue paint. I have an appointment to get a clear bra; but, they were backed up for weeks.

Not sure all models have this issue or just this is something recently?

bgil47 04-29-2019 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16418205)
The only issue I'm having with my Fathom Blue Pearl paint is it is so thin and brittle. I had to get some touch-up paint for 3 little chips on the front hood above the lights/grill (plastic bumper parts seems to be OK). The chips are really noticeable because of the light gray primer under the blue paint. I have an appointment to get a clear bra; but, they were backed up for weeks.

Not sure all models have this issue or just this is something recently?

My honda pilot has that dark cherry pearl and I recently had to buy that touch up paint for the same reason. That light gray primer shows up with the darker colors.

andysinnh 04-29-2019 10:14 AM

I'll give you a bit of a perspective on all the various thoughts rolling thru this thread. Take them for what they're worth. ;-)

1. Having gone from a '13 MDX (base) to a '15 RDX (Tech) - both AWD - I really missed the MDX's size and overall handling. The RDX (to me) never felt as good as the MDX did in terms of driving and size.
2. We owned two first-gen Pilots and were always happy with them - definite SUV seating style and great performance. The difference between those Pilots and the 1st gen MDX's were relatively minor, IMHO.
3. Before I got my '17 MDX SH-AWD tech (my current ride) I drove a '17 Pilot EX-L Navi AWD. And while on paper these two vehicles are very similar - I just couldn't help but feel I was driving a taller minivan when I drove the Pilot. Aside from the front seat situation (lack of center console, cheesy armrests, etc), the rest of the vehicle was more minivan like in terms of seating and just the general feel. The only thing the Pilot had going for it in the '17 model was the Car Play capability. But as you can see I ended up with the MDX....
4. My wife just recently purchased a CPO '18 RLX Sport Hybrid Advanced - and I've been able to have some seat-time behind the wheel of her car recently. Going from an MDX SH-AWD to an RLX SH-AWD takes some getting used to because, in normal driving, the decisions the vehicle makes for the hybrid (EV) mode vs the v6 (ICE) mode take some getting used to. The improved MPG's of the hybrid mode are impressive, but in terms of just smooth consistent behavior, I'm actually more happy with the non-hybrid MDX SH-AWD mode - at least that's my current takeaway. Of course you could hit the "sport" button on the hybrid and get full-time insanity when driving - but the shift patterns don't really befit the typical driving around town, and the MPG's are actually worse than the non-hybrid in that situation. Some will also say the 7-speed in the sport hybrid is better than the 9-speed in the normal SH-AWD - but I really don't dislike either. They do the job.

So my bottom line? I actually like the MDX with the normal SH-AWD mode a bit better. Don't get me wrong - Acura's done a great job with the Sport Hybrid - but given the cost difference between the two and the driving experience, I'd likely not opt for the hybrid if I had to replace my MDX today. Again, just my $.02...

andy

bgil47 04-29-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by andysinnh (Post 16418241)
I'll give you a bit of a perspective on all the various thoughts rolling thru this thread. Take them for what they're worth. ;-)

1. Having gone from a '13 MDX (base) to a '15 RDX (Tech) - both AWD - I really missed the MDX's size and overall handling. The RDX (to me) never felt as good as the MDX did in terms of driving and size.
2. We owned two first-gen Pilots and were always happy with them - definite SUV seating style and great performance. The difference between those Pilots and the 1st gen MDX's were relatively minor, IMHO.
3. Before I got my '17 MDX SH-AWD tech (my current ride) I drove a '17 Pilot EX-L Navi AWD. And while on paper these two vehicles are very similar - I just couldn't help but feel I was driving a taller minivan when I drove the Pilot. Aside from the front seat situation (lack of center console, cheesy armrests, etc), the rest of the vehicle was more minivan like in terms of seating and just the general feel. The only thing the Pilot had going for it in the '17 model was the Car Play capability. But as you can see I ended up with the MDX....

Thanks for taking the time to give me your perspective. You seem to have a lot of experience in this area. I have plenty of time to over analyze this, but i have to admit I am enjoying the process.
4. My wife just recently purchased a CPO '18 RLX Sport Hybrid Advanced - and I've been able to have some seat-time behind the wheel of her car recently. Going from an MDX SH-AWD to an RLX SH-AWD takes some getting used to because, in normal driving, the decisions the vehicle makes for the hybrid (EV) mode vs the v6 (ICE) mode take some getting used to. The improved MPG's of the hybrid mode are impressive, but in terms of just smooth consistent behavior, I'm actually more happy with the non-hybrid MDX SH-AWD mode - at least that's my current takeaway. Of course you could hit the "sport" button on the hybrid and get full-time insanity when driving - but the shift patterns don't really befit the typical driving around town, and the MPG's are actually worse than the non-hybrid in that situation. Some will also say the 7-speed in the sport hybrid is better than the 9-speed in the normal SH-AWD - but I really don't dislike either. They do the job.

So my bottom line? I actually like the MDX with the normal SH-AWD mode a bit better. Don't get me wrong - Acura's done a great job with the Sport Hybrid - but given the cost difference between the two and the driving experience, I'd likely not opt for the hybrid if I had to replace my MDX today. Again, just my $.02...

andy

I appreciate the time you took giving me your perspective . There are no wrong answers here. I have to admit I am enjoying over analyzing these vehicles .

kareshi 04-29-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by andysinnh (Post 16418241)

andy

Thanks for your comparison with the RLX, which is rare. I would expect the RLX to be better, especially it's a smaller car with sport hybrid SH-AWD. Could it be because you get used to the MDX driving dynamics? Do you think the RLX will grow on you if you drive it more?

BLEXV6 04-29-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16417880)

I had the cargo liner in the back but the leak from the mulch bags still leaked outside the tray, (had a lot of them). I have had the grey in other vehicles (02 TL and 06 MDX) as well. Just a preference. I think the black is classier.

mrgold35 04-30-2019 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by BLEXV6 (Post 16418721)
I had the cargo liner in the back but the leak from the mulch bags still leaked outside the tray, (had a lot of them). I have had the grey in other vehicles (02 TL and 06 MDX) as well. Just a preference. I think the black is classier.

It would be nice if Acura let you pick any interior color with any exterior color.

andysinnh 04-30-2019 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by kareshi (Post 16418439)
Thanks for your comparison with the RLX, which is rare. I would expect the RLX to be better, especially it's a smaller car with sport hybrid SH-AWD. Could it be because you get used to the MDX driving dynamics? Do you think the RLX will grow on you if you drive it more?

Time will tell whether it will grow on me, since it's my wife's car and I don't get to drive it much :-) But spec-wise it's pretty shocking how different the vehicles are. The MDX Sport Hybrid has the 3.0L v6 with a combined HP with gas and EV motors at 321HP with a curb weight of over 4400 lbs, and the RLX Sport Hybrid has the 3.5L v6 with a combined HP with gas and EV motors at 377HP with a curb weight of over 4300 lbs. Back to back ( I've not driven the MDX sport hybrid) I'd be interested to see how the MDX Sport Hybrid reacts when accelerating and switching between EV and ICE modes with the slightly heavier weight and lower HP. I think in large part it might also be what you're used to when driving - and whether you're "old school" and want consistent gas engine performance vs "new school" and like the savings and efficiency the hybrid concept offers. But be aware - "hybrid" largely is used only when cruising after reaching speed, and in low-speed driving. Once you give it gas to accelerate the gas motor is used (at least with the RLX).....

mrgold35 04-30-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by andysinnh (Post 16418846)
Time will tell whether it will grow on me, since it's my wife's car and I don't get to drive it much :-) But spec-wise it's pretty shocking how different the vehicles are. The MDX Sport Hybrid has the 3.0L v6 with a combined HP with gas and EV motors at 321HP with a curb weight of over 4400 lbs, and the RLX Sport Hybrid has the 3.5L v6 with a combined HP with gas and EV motors at 377HP with a curb weight of over 4300 lbs. Back to back ( I've not driven the MDX sport hybrid) I'd be interested to see how the MDX Sport Hybrid reacts when accelerating and switching between EV and ICE modes with the slightly heavier weight and lower HP. I think in large part it might also be what you're used to when driving - and whether you're "old school" and want consistent gas engine performance vs "new school" and like the savings and efficiency the hybrid concept offers. But be aware - "hybrid" largely is used only when cruising after reaching speed, and in low-speed driving. Once you give it gas to accelerate the gas motor is used (at least with the RLX).....

I can split the hybrid/powertrain power distribution graphic with the map screen on my MDX. Does the RLX hybrid have the same option? The MDX sh-sh-awd power distribution seems to be about the same usage as my 11 MDX sh-awd under normal/sport driving. I just get the extra options of EV mode only at lower speeds, regen braking, and super-duper sh-awd on/off gas on curves. Other than lower mph constant speed rear motors EV mode, I'm in 4wd a lot in the MDX. Looks like all three electric motors are engaged for any acceleration below 4000 rpms or speed above 40-50 mph. The engine will turn off when I check the mail down the street and I EV with rear motors only it back home a block and a half away. I think it is to make up for the 3.0L lack of TQ pushing +4400lbs.

andysinnh 04-30-2019 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16418870)
I can split the hybrid/powertrain power distribution graphic with the map screen on my MDX. Does the RLX hybrid have the same option? The MDX sh-sh-awd power distribution seems to be about the same usage as my 11 MDX sh-awd under normal/sport driving. I just get the extra options of EV mode only at lower speeds, regen braking, and super-duper sh-awd on/off gas on curves. Other than lower mph constant speed rear motors EV mode, I'm in 4wd a lot in the MDX. Looks like all three electric motors are engaged for any acceleration below 4000 rpms or speed above 40-50 mph. The engine will turn off when I check the mail down the street and I EV with rear motors only it back home a block and a half away. I think it is to make up for the 3.0L lack of TQ pushing +4400lbs.

The RLX has the same split screen readout (plus the HUD also has a smaller version of it - very cool :-) ). And your observation is similar to the RLX. Largely using the gas motor (easy to see when the RPM's are indicated on the tach), and the electric motors for the rear wheels being used a lot of the time - similar to the SH-AWD in my '17 MDX Tech w/o hybrid assist. I do find that cruising at speeds under 50 has a lot of EV mode as long as you're in a taller gear - and the decision on when to kick it into EV-only mode seems to vary depending on the conditions (and sometimes you get an odd hope if you're braking when the EV kicks in and the gas motor shuts off - hard to describe). Perhaps the MDX (w/smaller motor and more curb weight) sticks in gas mode more often than EV-only mode - and that would make the driving experience more consistent (i.e. better IMHO) in the MDX hybrid. I'd have to spend some seat time in one to draw the comparison.

andy

BLEXV6 04-30-2019 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16418787)
It would be nice if Acura let you pick any interior color with any exterior color.

Agreed, but this is likely how they keep the price down.

bmoua15 05-01-2019 12:15 AM

OP, Hybrid or Aspec is the way to go

bobby2478 05-01-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bmoua15 (Post 16419289)
OP, Hybrid or Aspec is the way to go

I'd only say it depends on what options the OP finds as "must haves", as if you want surround view 360 cameras, auto dimming side mirrors, active dampers, heated steering wheel, etc those are only available on Advance or Hybrid models (and you can't get Aspec Advance model). If the OP wanted entertainment system then this rules out Hybrid and means they can only get the non-hybrid 3.5L (also not available on Aspec). If the OP ever wants to tow or haul over 1k pounds of passengers/cargo then this also means they can't get the Hybrid as the Hybrid is only rated to carry about 1k total weight including all passengers and cargo. So it's largely subjective based on what OP prioritizes that will dictate which version/trim would be the best fit for them and everyone is different.

bgil47 05-01-2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bobby2478 (Post 16419520)
I'd only say it depends on what options the OP finds as "must haves", as if you want surround view 360 cameras, auto dimming side mirrors, active dampers, heated steering wheel, etc those are only available on Advance or Hybrid models (and you can't get Aspec Advance model). If the OP wanted entertainment system then this rules out Hybrid and means they can only get the non-hybrid 3.5L (also not available on Aspec). If the OP ever wants to tow or haul over 1k pounds of passengers/cargo then this also means they can't get the Hybrid as the Hybrid is only rated to carry about 1k total weight including all passengers and cargo. So it's largely subjective based on what OP prioritizes that will dictate which version/trim would be the best fit for them and everyone is different.

I had a chance yesterday to go looking. I drove a hybrid with the advance package and then an AWD tech package vehicle. Finally, I drove a Lexus rx 450h. Here is my take on these fine vehicles.

1. The tech package vehicle (non Hybrid) was very nice and had ample power. I loved the exhaust note, especially compared to my pilot which shares the same engine. I found the 9 speed transmission a bit shifty, but that's why they have lots of gears.
2. The advanced Hybrid was smoother, due to the electric motors with more instant torque. I liked it. The 7 speed dual clutch transmission was very smooth and pleasant to drive. The hybrid does give the car a different personality. Nothing like my last Hybrid, a prius.
3 The Lexus 450 h was a pretty nice car. Great interior, was pretty nimble feeling to drive, and seemed to have a more luxury feel to it. In some respects, it may be too nice since I haul ice chests and fishing tackle a few times a year for 1000 miles.

I am leaning towards the Acura Hybrid. Like the torque and seamless power. I am hoping that when they announce the 2020 model they add some "stuff" to the tech level since it will be the last year of the the model line. I did play with the info systems on all vehicles, and found them both ok. For what I do, perfectly adequate.

bobby2478 05-01-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by bgil47 (Post 16419585)
I had a chance yesterday to go looking. I drove a hybrid with the advance package and then an AWD tech package vehicle. Finally, I drove a Lexus rx 450h. Here is my take on these fine vehicles.

1. The tech package vehicle (non Hybrid) was very nice and had ample power. I loved the exhaust note, especially compared to my pilot which shares the same engine. I found the 9 speed transmission a bit shifty, but that's why they have lots of gears.
2. The advanced Hybrid was smoother, due to the electric motors with more instant torque. I liked it. The 7 speed dual clutch transmission was very smooth and pleasant to drive. The hybrid does give the car a different personality. Nothing like my last Hybrid, a prius.
3 The Lexus 450 h was a pretty nice car. Great interior, was pretty nimble feeling to drive, and seemed to have a more luxury feel to it. In some respects, it may be too nice since I haul ice chests and fishing tackle a few times a year for 1000 miles.

I am leaning towards the Acura Hybrid. Like the torque and seamless power. I am hoping that when they announce the 2020 model they add some "stuff" to the tech level since it will be the last year of the the model line. I did play with the info systems on all vehicles, and found them both ok. For what I do, perfectly adequate.

Biggest thing to consider is the max load capacity of the Hybrid being just over 1k pounds TOTAL weight including all passengers and cargo. 4 passengers and basic cargo can quickly get you close to the 1k max weight rating. If that will happen regularly perhaps the non-hybrid with it's tow rating would help. If it's only a rare occurrence and you can make alternate arrangements for those scenarios then the Hybrid would probably be just fine as long as you are cognizant of the weight limits.

mrgold35 05-01-2019 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by bgil47 (Post 16419585)

I don't like the ideal of not having a full size spare when traveling +20,000 miles per year. I added the hardware to mount a full size spare, found a used OEM black Berlina 20" rim on ebay, and purchased an used OEM tire with 90% treadlife. Only the 3.5L sh-awd comes with a spare tire.