Paper rustling/sounds from B pillar

Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Paper rustling/sounds from B pillar

Has anyone had issues with the trim on their MDX? This seems to be common issue with the MDX's "triple sealed" doors. I've attached two photos. One is of the B pillar area, where it looks like a defective weather strip/seal on the outside. The other photo is of the rear doors. The black plastic is flimsy and you can peel it back to see the insulation.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Attached.
Attached Thumbnails Paper rustling/sounds from B pillar-trim1.jpg   Paper rustling/sounds from B pillar-trim2.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
just take your car back to the dealer....get them to fix it. that's what the warranty is for.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
just take your car back to the dealer....get them to fix it. that's what the warranty is for.
If it were that simple. I've taken it in twice and they are not confident it would fix the problem or have not been able to reproduce it. Hence why I posted it here to see what other owners think. I've seen similar complaints from other people, and was curious as to whether or not they got it resolved and what that resolution entails. It helps to be armed with knowledge before taking it back in and wasting whole days in Northern Virginia/beltway traffic.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has the issue with the rear door trim. It seems to be on other MDX's I've looked at on the lot. It seems substandard for any automobile (being able to see the insulation like that and the flimsy plastic making noise as you close the doors).
Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Swornallegiance
If it were that simple. I've taken it in twice and they are not confident it would fix the problem or have not been able to reproduce it.
What did they say or think it was?
maybe, we can figure it out.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

unfortunately your MDX is in the first model year run...so "typical" problems in terms of trends will begin as more '14's hit the road and owners bring them back.

and as frustrating as it is, the problems do need to be present to the dealer (ie reproduced) when you take it in. have you tried taking a video of the noise perhaps? i've done this with my MDX and my TL if noises happen to be present. it at least gives them a reference point as to WHAT to listen for. i either bring the vid in with me or email it to my SA to give them a heads up. i have to hope the hell the car misbehaves while it's there.

your first pic looks like you are prying at the door trim sash...but unsure of exactly what you are trying to point out. in the second...i don't know what you're trying to show exactly.

the upside is that the dealer is attempting to try and fix it rather than do nothing and give you the car back.

i mentioned taking it back to the dealer initially b/c you started a number of threads regarding some issues with your MDX.

i have a feeling there will be a good number of TSBs released in the next couple of years to iron out the little things going on with the MDX. by the 3rd MY or so Acura tends to correct them.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I think this is what he trying to show:

1. If you look just above his thumb, you can tell the plastic cover pulls apart exposing the thin layer of insulation. I think this should be completely sealed over.

2. If you look at the rubber on the rear portion of the driver side, you can tell that its not sitting flush with the metal portion, the rubber is sort of wobbly allowing air/wind noise to occur.

I think that is the OP is trying to show.....correct me if I am wrong Swornallegiance
Old 03-08-2014, 03:59 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

there is thread about this noise he speaks of on the other forum.

it has been pinpointed to the actual glass itself that is misaligned. i don't know if it's the actual trim and insualation piece that could be causing the issue.