Noticed that the new MDX got rid of the LED rear brakelights.. why Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Noticed that the new MDX got rid of the LED rear brakelights.. why Acura?

So I've seen some on the road, and noticed that the steady taillights on the back are LED strips.. but the actual brake lights are not LED, just the high stop light is LED. The last gen MDX had LED brake lights and taillights in the same unit. Why would they make an LED taillight strip and keep the actual brake light halogen? SMH at Acura for this. they should just go with the combined brake/signal LED like Audi does..

hard to notice with them off.. but comparison:

2010:

2014:

Last edited by deepen03; 02-06-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
So I've seen some on the road, and noticed that the steady taillights on the back are LED strips.. but the actual brake lights are not LED, just the high stop light is LED. The last gen MDX had LED brake lights and taillights in the same unit. Why would they make an LED taillight strip and keep the actual brake light halogen? SMH at Acura for this.
cost saving measures, duh.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
cost saving measures, duh.
but it takes away the classy look.. LEDs add a nice touch to brake lights and of course provide easier vision of your braking to followers on the road. It is a safety issue also.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:10 PM

but it takes away the classy look.. LEDs add a nice touch to brake lights and of course provide easier vision of your braking to followers on the road. It is a safety issue also.
lol its not a safety issue.

before the introduction of LEDs, how do you think cars got by?
halogen bulbs.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM

please just accept the fact that Acura was cost cutting.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Proud Acura Owner

halogen bulbs.
but what pisses me off.. (and i'm not the only one, take a look at the other thread.. ).. is that the last gen had it from 2007-2013!
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 PM

preachin to the choir, man.

preachin to the choir.
Acura_Dude (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 PM

my car was one of the last cars to have FULL LEDs from the factory.

2006 TL.

and as you pointed out the previous gen MDX's
Acura_Dude (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
In fact they still have LED's in the rear. The lighted rim is LED a very small one
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually noticed this just the other night. I finally saw a '14 MDX at night around here and looked specifically for the lights. The lack of brake light LED besides the top strip was really disappointing. It made the car look dated compared to Audi, BMW, Lexus I see around here.

But in all honestly it's not a deal breaker. It just is something they will "refresh" in a few years, haha
The following 2 users liked this post by unr1:
Acura_Dude (02-06-2014), deepen03 (02-07-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
but what pisses me off.. (and i'm not the only one, take a look at the other thread.. ).. is that the last gen had it from 2007-2013!
This can be said for the 4G TL. The 3G TL had LED tails and bi-xenon HIDs. 4G has low-beam xenons and I'm guessing the tails are LED as well, IDK, haven't really paid attention. That's ok though, the TLX seems to have made up for it (thinking about the prototype at the moment). IDK why Honda chose not to use LED tails for the MDX, besides cost-cutting; which I really feel like they didn't save much, considering how much LEDs are used nowadays.

Maybe they'll add LED tails for the MMC.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Not only the LED brakelights, the 2014 MDX has also lost the "magneto rheological dampers" active suspension system that was available on the 2G MDX too.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I doubt the average MDX driver even knows what LED lights are not to mention magnetic suspension.

Hell, most BMW drivers dont even know their cars are RWD
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

The "active damper system" (ADS, aka magnetic suspension) button on the 2G MDX is located at the exact same location where the "IDS" button is now on the 3G MDX.

This button is hard to miss even by the average MDX owner.

The average MDX owner might not know about magnetic suspension, but most 2G MDX owners can tell from the jarring ride quality (on rough roads) when the ADS button is set to "sport" mode, and the ultra-cushion ride quality (on rough roads) when the button is otherwise set to "comfort" mode.

Only on the 2014 MDX, can the average MDX not tell between the various IDS modes in terms of ride quality, because there really is NO difference in actual ride quality with the non-adjustable suspension.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts

halogen bulbs.
I respectfully disagree, studies by almost all manufacturers and the NHTSA concluded that the response time of LED's contributes to the reduced recognition time of receptors. Additional but associated studies also concluded that the hue of the red affects recognition times hence the reason for using a different color for different functions, I.E. turn signals.
Additionally, there are studies endorsing a feature that rapidly flashes the stop lights upon sudden deceleration, you may have noticed this feature on some EU cars. Obviously, due to the frequency of the rapid flashing, incandescent bulbs will not suffice.

As to how we think that cars got by with halogen bulbs? Cars got by with oil lamps too but there have been a few advancements since then. If Acura want to build safety and features into their cars then full LED's should be the norm. The 2014 seems to be 2 steps forward and 2 steps back, in some ways it's an improvement and some ways it's worse than the previous gen. I do not blame anyone for buying the 2013 over the 2014. Gen 2 MMC was very refined in its mission, the Gen 3 is still looking for one.
The following 3 users liked this post by db22:
CoquiTSX (02-07-2014), Jotas (02-08-2014), Nari (02-10-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Not only the LED brakelights, the 2014 MDX has also lost the "magneto rheological dampers" active suspension system that was available on the 2G MDX too.
Having owned both with and without here's my take: It wasn't a loss at all. On the previous model the magnetic dampers made a big difference in comfort and handling, the base model's ride was trucky, the sport model was more comfortable while having better handling. The new variable amplitude dampers and suspension setup provide the same characteristic as the old magnetic ones, thus nothing was lost. The new setup dishes the same if not better handling while being noticeable more refined and comfortable. I really like the new setup.
Ive read the reviews stating that the new X is less sporty than before, I beg to differ strongly, all handling aspects of the new suspension are as good or better than before, its simply much more refined at it. All numerical handling tests as well as my own personal experience, bear that out. I can't wait for the OEM tires to wear out to swap them with some Michelin pilots, as I did on our old X, to really exploit the setup.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
I respectfully disagree, studies by almost all manufacturers and the NHTSA concluded that the response time of LED's contributes to the reduced recognition time of receptors. Additional but associated studies also concluded that the hue of the red affects recognition times hence the reason for using a different color for different functions, I.E. turn signals.
Additionally, there are studies endorsing a feature that rapidly flashes the stop lights upon sudden deceleration, you may have noticed this feature on some EU cars. Obviously, due to the frequency of the rapid flashing, incandescent bulbs will not suffice.

As to how we think that cars got by with halogen bulbs? Cars got by with oil lamps too but there have been a few advancements since then. If Acura want to build safety and features into their cars then full LED's should be the norm. The 2014 seems to be 2 steps forward and 2 steps back, in some ways it's an improvement and some ways it's worse than the previous gen. I do not blame anyone for buying the 2013 over the 2014. Gen 2 MMC was very refined in its mission, the Gen 3 is still looking for one.
+1
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Pro

The difference is extremely small but when driving milliseconds count. However, there really is no data regarding whether the lab results regarding LED stoplights make any difference in the real world. It's like ABS, although no one would dispute its indispensable, ABS was never proved to reduce crashes significantly, on the other hand, stability control has done so in spades. The issue with ABS has always been that people haven't realized that ABS can in fact increase stopping distances it just keeps you from losing control while braking. Lastly, more important than the additional milliseconds that LED lights might provide are the precollision systems included on the advanced model and many other cars now. Even just the flashy lights of the tech model decrease crashes very significantly. On the advanced, the lights plus the braking induce a reflex that screams step on the brake hard NOW
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM

LOL, butt, they didnt.
moot point is moot.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Proud Acura Owner

my car was one of the last cars to have FULL LEDs from the factory.

2006 TL.

and as you pointed out the previous gen MDX's
not really.. the 2nd gen MDX, last RL, and 4G TL had leds for tails and brakes, just not signal LEDs. and as far as rear signal leds, Acura never had them.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by unr1
I actually noticed this just the other night. I finally saw a '14 MDX at night around here and looked specifically for the lights. The lack of brake light LED besides the top strip was really disappointing. It made the car look dated compared to Audi, BMW, Lexus I see around here.

But in all honestly it's not a deal breaker. It just is something they will "refresh" in a few years, haha
Look at Toyota.. same story. the old Camry had LEDs, new one NONE. Honda did the same, remember the 2007 Accord? Had LEDs, then they dropped them for 2008-2012, just brought them back, but only on EX and up. but being a luxury brand, LEDs should be standard on the flagship Acura vehicles at least, I can forgive the ILX and TSX, but MDX? Come on Acura.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Lol @ picky customers.

The color of the brake lights are red. That's all that matters.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:53 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Well the competition doesn't have all led tails either. Look at the ML, GL, X5, or even RX. They all have some sort of led light piping to hide the incandescent brake lights at least on the base models. It's just cost cutting that the average Joe is not going to notice. Most people will probably only notice the fancy light pipes anyways.

Also, you could easily replace the brake bulb with an led.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Lol @ picky customers.

This isn't a Honda Pilot :P

Last edited by unr1; 02-07-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by RL06tech
Having owned both with and without here's my take: It wasn't a loss at all. On the previous model the magnetic dampers made a big difference in comfort and handling, the base model's ride was trucky, the sport model was more comfortable while having better handling. The new variable amplitude dampers and suspension setup provide the same characteristic as the old magnetic ones, thus nothing was lost. The new setup dishes the same if not better handling while being noticeable more refined and comfortable. I really like the new setup.
Ive read the reviews stating that the new X is less sporty than before, I beg to differ strongly, all handling aspects of the new suspension are as good or better than before, its simply much more refined at it. All numerical handling tests as well as my own personal experience, bear that out. I can't wait for the OEM tires to wear out to swap them with some Michelin pilots, as I did on our old X, to really exploit the setup.
It is not just about whether the new MDX is better than the old MDX. This is also about how to capture as many potential buyers as possible.

Unfortunately, ride quality and handling performance are very subjective, since every vehicle buyers have their own set of handling preference and ride tolerance. It is a lot more than simply swapping to a set of high performance summer tires.

What is a good suspension setup for you, may not be their liking, and vice versa; especially that everyone drives daily on vastly different road conditions. Some drive on rough and broken local roads, but others on mirror-smooth open highways.

While you like the 2014 MDX suspension setup, but I find it too soft (= not sporty enough). However, some others find it too stiff and thus the ride too rough, especially when going over bumps.

Likewise for the 4G TL, some like the ride quality on the AWD TL, but some others find the ride too rough, and yet the remaining find the suspension not sporty enough.

Ride quality and handling performance have proved to be deal breakers for potential Acura buyers, according to some forum threads.

But adjustable damping suspension caters to the best of both worlds. Those prefer comfort over handling can go for the "comfort" setting, whereas others prefer handling over comfort can go for the "sport" setting. Now everyone is happy.

Thus, it is crucial that adjustable damping suspension be make available, in order to accommodate as wide a range of buyers as possible who have vastly different ride tolerances and handling performance requirements.

This is one sure way to increase sales and boost market share.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Pro

^^^^^

The "active damper system" (ADS, aka magnetic suspension) button on the 2G MDX is located at the exact same location where the "IDS" button is now on the 3G MDX.

This button is hard to miss even by the average MDX owner.

The average MDX owner might not know about magnetic suspension, but most 2G MDX owners can tell from the jarring ride quality (on rough roads) when the ADS button is set to "sport" mode, and the ultra-cushion ride quality (on rough roads) when the button is otherwise set to "comfort" mode.

Only on the 2014 MDX, can the average MDX not tell between the various IDS modes in terms of ride quality, because there really is NO difference in actual ride quality with the non-adjustable suspension.
TLS, BTW I have finally experienced your harder than normal brake when starting issue. On our car it only happens when the car is left outside in below zero temps.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Pro

It is not just about whether the new MDX is better than the old MDX. This is also about how to capture as many potential buyers as possible.

Unfortunately, ride quality and handling performance are very subjective, since every vehicle buyers have their own set of handling preference and ride tolerance. It is a lot more than simply swapping to a set of high performance summer tires.

What is a good suspension setup for you, may not be their liking, and vice versa; especially that everyone drives daily on vastly different road conditions. Some drive on rough and broken local roads, but others on mirror-smooth open highways.

While you like the 2014 MDX suspension setup, but I find it too soft (= not sporty enough). However, some others find it too stiff and thus the ride too rough, especially when going over bumps.

Likewise for the 4G TL, some like the ride quality on the AWD TL, but some others find the ride too rough, and yet the remaining find the suspension not sporty enough.

Ride quality and handling performance have proved to be deal breakers for potential Acura buyers, according to some forum threads.

But adjustable damping suspension caters to the best of both worlds. Those prefer comfort over handling can go for the "comfort" setting, whereas others prefer handling over comfort can go for the "sport" setting. Now everyone is happy.

Thus, it is crucial that adjustable damping suspension be make available, in order to accommodate as wide a range of buyers as possible who have vastly different ride tolerances and handling performance requirements.

This is one sure way to increase sales and boost market share.
To me "handling" and comfort are totally different parameters. Handling is how adept a vehicle is on dynamic maneuvers, adhesion, balance, grip and ultimate speed. The magnetic suspension was not superior to the present vehicle in any of those parameters, if anything the new setup is noticeable faster and more confident in curves. It is also more comfortable to boot, the comfort setting with the old setup was too cushy, thus handling suffered significantly. I only used the comfort setting of the old MDX on unpaved roads. Don't take me wrong I liked the magnetic shock system, but I like the present system even more. The only situation I favor the old one is on unpaved roads where the old comfort setting was smoother. Furthermore, as I mentioned before the only thing that failed on our MDX where the shocks at 45k, though covered by the warranty they were 2000 bucks a pop.

Last edited by RL06tech; 02-07-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 AM
2G TLX-S

TLS, BTW I have finally experienced your harder than normal brake when starting issue. On our car it only happens when the car is left outside in below zero temps.
Even in warmer weather, when the MDX is parked for 2 full days, the "hard brake pedal" will appear on mine. Cold temp. will definitely speed up the process.

Parking the MDX just overnight is a hit-and-miss occurrence.

To me "handling" and comfort are totally different parameters. Handling is how adept a vehicle is on dynamic maneuvers, adhesion, balance, grip and ultimate speed. The magnetic suspension was not superior to the present vehicle in any of those parameters, if anything the new setup is noticeable faster and more confident in curves. It is also more comfortable to boot, the comfort setting with the old setup was too cushy, thus handling suffered significantly. I only used the comfort setting of the old MDX on unpaved roads. Don't take me wrong I liked the magnetic shock system, but I like the present system even more. The only situation I favor the old one is on unpaved roads where the old comfort setting was smoother. Furthermore, as I mentioned before the only thing that failed on our MDX where the shocks at 45k, though covered by the warranty they were 2000 bucks a pop.
OK, let's simplify the issue, and remove the "handling" factor from our discussion.

This is now all about "ride quality".

Without adjustable damper suspension, the 3G MDX is left with only 1 single suspension calibration out of the factory.

Some find the factory suspension setting perfect (like yourself), some find it too soft (like myself), and others find it too stiff on bumps and less-than-perfect roads.

For all those buyers who don't like the factory calibration, they are out of luck for there is nothing they or the vehicle can do, simply because the suspension damping is NON-adjustable on the vehicle.

But with adjustable damper suspension, the vehicle can accommodate the ride quality requirements of a much wider range of buyers, because the "comfort" mode will satisfy those who want softly-sprung and cushioned ride on less-than-perfect roads, and the "sport" mode will satisfy those who want more stability and control on perfectly flat open highways.

This is my point. Vehicles with adjustable suspension will attract and capture more buyers who otherwise would have find the stock suspension setting either too soft or too stiff for the particular road conditions that they will be driving on EVERYDAY.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Lol @ picky customers.

Why stop there... it's got four wheels and goes from point a to b...
Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
they have to save something for mid-cycle refresh don't they
Old 02-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
The 2007-2013 also had better standard leather and dual cool exhaust pipes.
Acura wanted their 2014 to hit a certain price point and cheapened out on many things (terrible camera, low resolution screens, no heated steering wheel, not vented seats, no exhaust tail pipes and probably not power folding mirrors and many more that skip my mind).
Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalin
The 2007-2013 also had better standard leather and dual cool exhaust pipes.
Acura wanted their 2014 to hit a certain price point and cheapened out on many things (terrible camera, low resolution screens, no heated steering wheel, not vented seats, no exhaust tail pipes and probably not power folding mirrors and many more that skip my mind).
All true, but look at the numbers that the new MDX are selling. Seems alot of buyers don't care or know. Every month they are selling a boat load, so something is working well for Acura.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I've seen 3 on the road......my first thought is HONDA VAN (ODYSSEY)...Tall narrow skinny tires.....boxy body like the Honda Pilot..... Not sporty muscular like the previous gen....
Old 02-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
I've seen 3 on the road......my first thought is HONDA VAN (ODYSSEY)...Tall narrow skinny tires.....boxy body like the Honda Pilot..... Not sporty muscular like the previous gen....
this is the new acura.
you guise do know what the TLX concept looks like right?

production model will be soft and vanilla just like the MDX.

and the bland looking RLX.

and the flavorless ILX....
Old 02-13-2014, 02:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I doubt the average MDX driver even knows what LED lights are not to mention magnetic suspension.

Hell, most BMW drivers dont even know their cars are RWD
I'm well aware of what those two options are ... and I'm quite aware that my 2014 BMW 550xi is ALL-Wheel Drive

I guess I'm not most BMW dirvers!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
the magnetic suspension was limited....Sales folks didn't "SELL IT" cause they were limited, hard to get because most were sold off the truck to Acura die hard fans that knew more about these vehicles than the sales folks.....topping $49,000.00 was not chump change, nor did the Mom's want it....The Tech model was the volume seller and has remained....Top of the line Acura or Honda are the BEST investments and give the best re-sale value....black interior is also the best to get for re-sale purposes.....good luck finding that as they are limited also....Is a money making marketing scheme long in the works with HMC
My brother told me 30 years ago....the best Honda model is the one NEVER seen on the lot or sales floor......that remains today.....
Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Exactly what we wanted a more minivanesq iteration of our MDX. More space for passengers and stuff, same performance, more refinement. Exactly what most MDX owners wanted. For the overwhelming majority of 3 row SUVs owners, vehicles like the mdx are simply more luxurious, better driving, and weather capable alternatives to a minivan. Personally I wouldn't mind if it looked even more like a minivan as long as it gained even more utility without giving up ride and handling.