Next set of tires: non-OEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Next set of tires: non-OEM

Reading the most recent thread got me to thinking what tires are you considering for your MDX after the OEMs wear out? Probably worth mentioning your considerations.

For instance, with decent amounts of snow and spirited driving, I have run on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my TLs and have been very happy. Not sure if I will go there for the MDX but I am looking forward to getting these OEMs off.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jlkdoh
Reading the most recent thread got me to thinking what tires are you considering for your MDX after the OEMs wear out? Probably worth mentioning your considerations.

For instance, with decent amounts of snow and spirited driving, I have run on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my TLs and have been very happy. Not sure if I will go there for the MDX but I am looking forward to getting these OEMs off.
What OEMS do you have? The Michelins are not bad in non snow conditions. I use X ice for winter (I never touch frozen precipitation without snow tires). Unfortunately there are no latitude sport Michelins for summer yet they don't last long but boy do they perform! The latitude sport is essentially a PS2for SUVS.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Advanced

We were equipped with some Continental Cross Contact LX Sports. I haven't driven much on them but my Pilot Sports have a much more aggressive tread pattern that rates well for snow braking. I don't swap to snow tires in the winter so the more aggressive A/S for me, the better.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Interesting. I just checked out TireRack and they only have one tire to recommend for the MDX SH-AWD w/tech, a Yokohama AVID ENVigor and it does not rate particularly high from users when asked if they would purchase again, nor a particularly good winter driving score. Looks like I will be really considering Acurazine's user recommendations.....
Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jlkdoh
Interesting. I just checked out TireRack and they only have one tire to recommend for the MDX SH-AWD w/tech, a Yokohama AVID ENVigor and it does not rate particularly high from users when asked if they would purchase again, nor a particularly good winter driving score. Looks like I will be really considering Acurazine's user recommendations.....
I had the envigor previously, not a bad tire, but not particularly excellent either. There are no Michelin latitude sport that are an exact match for the MDX. I had them on our previous X and they were fantastic for about 15k, after that they developed significant pattern noise and were worn by 20k, an expensive choice for those that want ultimate performance.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
This question always troubles my mind.

The Pilot series tires are designed for cars, not for the much heavier trucks/SUV's. So are the "Pilot Sport" good enough to be used on the heavier SUV's ?

The Latitude series tires are specifically designed to be use for trucks/SUV's, especially that the "Latitude Sport" SUV tire has the exact same tread pattern as the "Pilot Sport PS2" car tire.

So there must be a reason that Michelin creates a separate for-cars tire and a separate for-SUV's tire, using the same tread design, maybe because Michelin deems it is not appropriate to use car tires on heavier trucks/SUV's.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RL06tech
I had the envigor previously, not a bad tire, but not particularly excellent either. There are no Michelin latitude sport that are an exact match for the MDX. I had them on our previous X and they were fantastic for about 15k, after that they developed significant pattern noise and were worn by 20k, an expensive choice for those that want ultimate performance.
Yeah, the Michelin Lats get ripped for poor wear. I have got some time before needing to replace and I will hope for some inspiration / new product development.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
take a look at the continental LX20's...i have them on my 09 after the latitudes wore and developed ozone cracks in the sidewall.

so far, i have almost 8k miles on them and pretty good so far. we haven't had major snow, but they handle well in rain and slice through puddles pretty well. dry handling is better than the latitudes (as i have yet to chirp them under hard cornering).
The following users liked this post:
jlkdoh (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced

TLtrigirl: nice recommendation. They look to have scored very well for wet and dry traction and very respectable for snow. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (02-08-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
This question always troubles my mind.

The Pilot series tires are designed for cars, not for the much heavier trucks/SUV's. So are the "Pilot Sport" good enough to be used on the heavier SUV's ?

The Latitude series tires are specifically designed to be use for trucks/SUV's, especially that the "Latitude Sport" SUV tire has the exact same tread pattern as the "Pilot Sport PS2" car tire.

So there must be a reason that Michelin creates a separate for-cars tire and a separate for-SUV's tire, using the same tread design, maybe because Michelin deems it is not appropriate to use car tires on heavier trucks/SUV's.
Youre right the pilot is for cars but there is a latitude "sport" that has the same tread and compound as the PS2.