New windshield camera calibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New windshield camera calibration

Hi guys. Took my 2016 MDX Elite in to Speedy Auto Glass to get windshield replaced..They tried to calibrate camera before putting in new windshield however had error codes on camera module and couldn’t replace. I have an appointment with Acura to diagnose for errors with camera module. Anyone have this issue?
Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
The mechanic I use (works for a Honda dealer and takes care of me on the side) has mentioned this a couple of times. Not necessarily the the codes, but non Acura / Honda shops trying to replace windshield and not being able to calibrate the cameras properly. He mentioned there were a couple of windshields that needed to be replaced again with OEM because of the optics or lack there of in the aftermarket glass.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Just had the windshield replaced on my parents MDX. Make sure you get an OEM windshield as that is what is required to properly calibrate the cameras. I was able to have the shop do the calibration as they are a pretty large shop. Otherwise you would need to have the dealership do that portion. I have glass coverage in my insurance and only had a $50 deductible so that was nice. Otherwise the bill came out to like $1900. I do need to go back as the shop scratched the paint and broke a couple clips.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by honda_nut
Just had the windshield replaced on my parents MDX. Make sure you get an OEM windshield as that is what is required to properly calibrate the cameras. I was able to have the shop do the calibration as they are a pretty large shop. Otherwise you would need to have the dealership do that portion. I have glass coverage in my insurance and only had a $50 deductible so that was nice. Otherwise the bill came out to like $1900. I do need to go back as the shop scratched the paint and broke a couple clips.
i contacted Seedy Auto Glass and they agreed to order an OEM windshield. Will let you know how I make out.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by Hhurk

i contacted Seedy Auto Glass and they agreed to order an OEM windshield. Will let you know how I make out.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:04 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I talked to my Insurance, USAA, and they told me I get to pick my repair shop for glass replacement when needed. My insurance does include camera calibration at the dealership as part of the glass replacement. USAA has a requirement to use OEM glass if the vehicle is under two years from manufacture date (not purchase date). After two years, aftermarket glass "could" be used; but, they must use OEM glass if there are issues with heated windshilds, camera calibrations, etc.... Might come down to picking a shop that has access to OEM glass.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
The shop I used had to order the glass from the Acura dealership. And apparently that windshield was on back order for a couple weeks.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:57 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Had Safelite replace the glass on the mommymobile once. They initially came with an aftermarket PGW glass, but couldn't install it as the patterning was different with the sensors and the camera. They came back with a factory Acura windshield and had no problems and no need for a camera recal (however I did have my Autel scan tool at the ready just in case I needed to). After the glass was set and I was prepping the glass to be resealed and retinted (which my insurance covered thankfully, I would have hated but would have spent the extra $400 to put the 3M Crystalline tint back on), I noticed that the factory glass was in fact a PGW piece.

On a different note, one thing about having a new windshield put in that drives me up the wall is that there's always some sort of film on them that makes the shine of the glass not uniform, wipers chatter like mad, and water just sticks and lays flat on the glass. 3 hours of claying, razor blading, and polishing the glass to get it to how I like it and throw on a layer of Gtechnic glass coating.