New owner! Want to make it slightly better off road. Tires? Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New owner! Want to make it slightly better off road. Tires? Lift?

Hey everyone! I'm finally trading in my old Jeep Cherokee AND BMW 335i in on something that suits my needs better: an MDX. I can seldom use the BMW's performance and don't like its dependability and operating cost, and seldom find myself in a situation where I can take advantage of its performance. The Jeep is great off road, cheap to drive and reliable, but old, noisy, uncomfortable and without modern safety features- a penalty box on road trips, albeit a practical one. What I typically need here in New Mexico is a road trip car. Something to haul my biking/skiing/camping gear reliably and efficiently on long road trips, can handle the curves for mile after mile of mountain road, and most importantly, can handle those last few miles that often involve unmaintained roads with ruts and big rocks embedded in the road.

The MDX suits most of my needs better than anything out there, but it's about my bare minimum in off-road-ability and I'd like to get a little more margin. Even an extra inch of clearance would help a lot, so I'd like to get bigger tires or, alternatively, set it up with some kind of air helper-spring that can give me an extra inch or two of clearance for those last couple miles, and then I'll air it back down again so I don't ruin my handling the other 99.5% of the time. I'm not looking for extreme articulation here- I'm looking to not scrape my undertray and oil pan across the rocks. Any suggestions? What are the biggest tires that'll fit a third-gen without rubbing?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:35 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I live in ABQ and do a lot of hiking and eMTB around town, Santa Fe, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. Never had an issue with the standard ground clearance even with being loaded down with gear. Are you looking at a 2nd Gen 07-13 MDX or 3rd Gen +14 models?

The 2nd Gen has 8.2 inches of ground clearance, 5000lbs of towing with 500lbs tougue weight standard. The 3rd Gen has 7.3 inches of ground clearance, and 3500lbs standard for fwd and sh-awd without transcooler and 5000lbs with transcooler with sh-awd only. The 2nd Gen is more truck/SUV like compared to the 3rd Gen. The 3rd Gen would be closer to a minivan. The 07-09 MDXs have a different bumper design and that would give you better approach/departure angle for taller/steeper obstacles.

Last edited by mrgold35; 01-25-2018 at 07:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I live in ABQ and do a lot of hiking and eMTB around town, Santa Fe, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. Never had an issue with the standard ground clearance even with being loaded down with gear. Are you looking at a 2nd Gen 07-13 MDX or 3rd Gen +14 models?

The 2nd Gen has 8.2 inches of ground clearance, 5000lbs of towing with 500lbs tougue weight standard. The 3rd Gen has 7.3 inches of ground clearance, and 3500lbs standard for fwd and sh-awd without transcooler and 5000lbs with transcooler with sh-awd only. The 2nd Gen is more truck/SUV like compared to the 3rd Gen. The 3rd Gen would be closer to a minivan. The 07-09 MDXs have a different bumper design and that would give you better approach/departure angle for taller/steeper obstacles.
Hey! I'd love to check out your bike. You on base? I am.

It's a 3rd gen...should be here Monday. It's the road to San Antonio hot springs that I'm particularly concerned about.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Carve
Hey! I'd love to check out your bike. You on base? I am.

It's a 3rd gen...should be here Monday. It's the road to San Antonio hot springs that I'm particularly concerned about.
Ex Army Officer back in the early 90s. Lived in ABQ since Y2K. My bike is 4" fat tire rear hub eMTB called a Radrover. I've driven that route in the Valles Caldera forest and hiked that area; but, never gone to the hot springs (usually too hot in the summer when I hike to think about Hot Springs). I might have to check it out since the weather is getting nicer and it is still chilly in the afternoon.

The MDX is mostly fwd; but, can switch into rear bias rwd with up to 70% TQ on inclines. It feels like you just got a big push from behind when sh-awd makes the switch. OEM tires might be the limiting factor for traction.

Last edited by mrgold35; 01-25-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 AM
Cruisin'

Traction isn't too big of a concern which is why I'm not worried about articulation. Just need a little more clearance. I looked online and saw someone who put 31.5" tires on his first gent, although it required a mallet and heat gun on the fender liners so they wouldn't rub at full lock. If I could fit those on my 3rd gen it'd be perfect. Also, if anyone has installed airbags in the springs to help with towing, how much of a lift do you get when you pump them up unladen? If that'd lift me an extra inch or two, perhaps I'll install those front and rear.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Cruisin'

Looks like the stock tire is a 245 55R-19, which comes out to 29.6"

Stepping up to a 30" should be no problem, but what I'd really like to know is if I could fit a 255 60R19, which is a 31". That should get the job done just fine.
Alternatively, a 235 65R-19 is also 31", but is less likely to rub due to the narrower width. It'll no doubt improve ride and perhaps actual (not indicated) MPG as well, albeit at the expense of mushier handling. Besides- it's a rare size with only a few options available
Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
I've never seen the MDX as an active lifestyle rig, it's a urban pavement queen through and through. The surfaces and materials (and future buyers) won't take kindly to something that has seen its share of dirt roads and camping adventures. I think you had it right with the Cherokee, did you consider a new one when shopping?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 AM
Cruisin'

I considered a new grand cherokee and it was a tough choice. The MDX has better reliability, handling, more space, will depreciate less and has more MPG. The Grand Cherokee is better off road. Since off-road is about 0.2% of my driving, something that just barely gets the job done is just fine. I guess if it doesn't take me where I want to go though, maybe I'll sell it and get the Jeep.

The regular non grand cherokee is a joke.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:30 AM
Cruisin'

Also, who cares how it's marketed. BMW markets their competing SUVs as "Sport Activity Vehicles". The active lifestyle and a modicum of off-road-ability is what puts the Sport in "SUV".

Also, the dirty little secret in outdoorsy-image vehicles is, going on these little adventures, they'll rack up the vast majority of their miles just hauling gear down a freeway or winding mountain road, racking up miles in remote areas where you want to not break down and want good fuel economy, so a vehicle that's optimized for that with a little adverse-terrain ability is what I was after.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
definitely get a lift kit for it.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In my case I have an Xterra for towing and off road. I don't use the Xterra for too much else. Sometimes it's just better to have two vehicles. My Xterra is a 2003 and I do all my own work on it. It's not a daily driver so when I feel like it, I can work on it if needed. I just put a new timing belt, water and thermostat on it. Took me two days but I'm not in a hurry. The advantage is the Xterra is narrow and very capable off road, skid plates, 4 X 4, high ground clearance and a very short nose and back so it goes in and out of creeks/ditches etc or whatever easily. On the road it is a truck. Fine for driving a long ways to outdoor activities but day to day I prefer better riding car. I'm driving an Acura TL day to day. My Xterra doesn't cost me much a year and worth having around for when I need it. Another advantage is I don't care that much about dents or getting the inside dirty, it is what it is. I also have the Xterra outfitted for back country adventures, full med kit, winch, roof rack attachments, various other things I might need. On top of it it's atomic orange so if they have to come looking for me at least they can spot the truck by helicopter easily. LOL.

I'm also a guy who ends up with a few cars at a time on occasion. My record was 7. Basically I can go buy a S series and have one car or go buy a few used ones for the same money.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the same boat but my off-roading is like 0.1%. I thought about getting a separate vehicle for the occasional off-roading, but my family is spoiled and a near 20 year old vehicle for long trips won't do it. I, too, am looking for a nice wheel and tire setup along with potentially adding a little more height. I just need something that can get me over small curbs, the unmaintained road along the 15 fwy, muddy and dirty camp grounds, and boat launches. My 2006 MDX was able to do all that fine, but my 2017 seems a little more fragile.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Simi_MDX
I'm in the same boat but my off-roading is like 0.1%. I thought about getting a separate vehicle for the occasional off-roading, but my family is spoiled and a near 20 year old vehicle for long trips won't do it. I, too, am looking for a nice wheel and tire setup along with potentially adding a little more height. I just need something that can get me over small curbs, the unmaintained road along the 15 fwy, muddy and dirty camp grounds, and boat launches. My 2006 MDX was able to do all that fine, but my 2017 seems a little more fragile.
Well, my 3G 2014 MDX climbs curbs just fine- much smoother than my old XJ. Bigger tires would be nice though as there's .9" less ground clearance than your old MDX. Just going from a 29.6 to a 30 closes the gap to .7", which helps, but a 31" tire would make them basically equal. The fuel tank underneath looks particularly vulnerable, but I think the lowest part is the control arms.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a thought but you could use a lift kit and fit bigger tires. Something like this.
https://www.spaccer.com/en_US/makes-...acura/mdx.html

Problem there is I bet you will notice different handling if you do that. The big the side walls of the tire the bigger flex. Short side walls and big rims won't work well off road either.

If you go that route, the trade off is worth it to you. Get something like this with a skid plate for the front.

Broadfeet A-Bar Sport Bar - A Bar Sport SUV Push Bar

Doesn't look bad and would help with any off road stuff. You can get these with a built in skid plate which would help with rocks or any thing you might hit going over.