New owner - '17 SH-AWD Tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
New owner - '17 SH-AWD Tech

Wanted to quickly stop in and say hello. Been a member for years as the wife has been in a 2gen TSX Tech since 2011. I signed papers last night to dump my '13 F150 Platinum in favor of a '17 SH-AWD Tech in LSM with Graystone. I've only put about 20 miles on the SUV and I think that I won't miss my truck...except for cleanup days around the properties. We take delivery on Saturday. Looking forward to gaining or sharing knowledge with all of y'all here.

And because no thread is complete without pics...they are attached.
Attached Thumbnails New owner - '17 SH-AWD Tech-b6089bac-6130-4745-9cfb-2516ebfb2cb8.jpg   New owner - '17 SH-AWD Tech-f0afa2f4-a3e9-4f75-bb51-1fe02b2833c5-1-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by MCDavis:
Curious3GTL (02-03-2017), kurtatx (02-05-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
OoO beautiful MDX!
and was that the ecoboost F150?
*edit, clicked on pic and it has ecoboost badge...
The following users liked this post:
MCDavis (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:27 AM
Racer

Thanks! the MDX is a change for me as my last 4 vehicles have been darker paint and black interiors.

The Platinum was modified, but with an OEM mindset. Aftermarket coilovers put the ride up about 1.5". 2x plus sized on the tires. Custom stitching on the inside. Sub upgrade. Tuned. And yes it's the 3.5L EB, which when tuned is a monster. Those 275/65/20 KO2s weigh 57lbs per tire and with TC off the tires would howl through third gear. I couldn't stop tinkering with it, and that's partially why I went to the MDX...I need less hobbies! I just want to drive and enjoy this one.

Dealer is adding the 5k lb towing package and tinting the fronts prior to delivery. Cannot wait!
justnspace (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 AM

haha that's awesome, man!!!
a few members on here have the F150 ecoboost.
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...nother-949673/

and tomorrow is Saturday!! Get excited!!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:05 AM
Racer

Cannot wait for tomorrow!! It'll feel like Christmas for sure. I'll be 10 days into ownership when I get the first road trip. I have to travel from Richmond to Charlotte for business and it'll be nice to be comfy and quiet.

Thanks for sharing the thread...might have to leave a few comments there!
justnspace (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
Congrats on the MDX! Ford really stepped up their game lately.

How many miles did you put on the F150? Did it give you any problems?
MCDavis (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
Congrats on the MDX! Ford really stepped up their game lately.

How many miles did you put on the F150? Did it give you any problems?
They have in some ways, and in other ways not so much. Same gripes I see from most folks though...tech tech tech. Smartphones progress so fast that our 3+ year old car tech seems ancient.

56k miles on the truck. It was a dealer demo, so I was the first owner but I obtained it with 4200 miles on the clock. Very few issues to speak of really, but I did some of the "preventative" things that are sometimes unspoken of in the EcoBoost world. That tuned torque is frickin addictive though. I'm going to enjoy roasting the crap outta that rubber for the next 24 hours
Old 02-03-2017, 08:06 AM

I think tech will be a problem for a while, for ALL auto manufactures.
we live in a disposable world!!
phone slow? throw it away and get a new one! lol
Old 02-03-2017, 08:07 AM

rear tires bald from roasting? throw it away and get an MDX.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
rear tires bald from roasting? throw it away and get an MDX.
Ha! Hardly the case, however it's fun driving around at 17-18lb of boost I will miss that part, but the MDX is shockingly brisk in Sport mode.
justnspace (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 AM

great talking to you this morning!
have something called work getting in the way of socializing
Old 02-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Racer

Same. 9:30 with the boss' boss. Should be thrilling.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Justin - do you ever work? Your always on here.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Racer

Jake, that's why we're blessed with multiple monitors. 1 for work and 1-2 more for forums!! It was not uncommon for me to have two or three truck forums open at once.
Jakes_tl (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Nothing wrong with that my friend! Work smart, not hard!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Racer

I LOVE THIS VEHICLE

The wife and I took delivery around 2:30 today, showed it off to my parents, and then decided to grab dinner 55 miles east. This is such a wonderful highway vehicle. I adored my truck, but I might have a new mistress now cause I'm in love with the MDX.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis
I LOVE THIS VEHICLE

The wife and I took delivery around 2:30 today, showed it off to my parents, and then decided to grab dinner 55 miles east. This is such a wonderful highway vehicle. I adored my truck, but I might have a new mistress now cause I'm in love with the MDX.

Lol...Awesome! Congrats!! Can't wait for my delivery on Monday!!

How did you find the entertainment system and the touch displays etc...I think that's the only thing some owners found to be a little too complicated ( although I have a feeling I'll still love it either way!)
Old 02-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Racer

Ya know, it's funny you asked. I actually don't have any complaints thus far (aside from missing the tuned 420-450 ft/lb of torque the truck had!).
The Ford Sync with MyFordTouch was user friendly, but it was laggy, kind of like a 5 year old Android phone. But it worked nearly all the time. So far, the Nav screen hasn't bothered me, but I did change the background to black from blue at night and it pleases my eyes a bit better. The entertainment touchscreen is haptic and I like it. Sure it could be more crisp, sure it could have less steps to turn on heated seats, but honestly it's a drastic improvement over A LOT of options out there. It's what I like to call "first world problems". It's hard to complain about creature comforts, and yes I know it's a $50k+ vehicles, but as long as you set expectations accordingly, then you won't be disappointed.

The systems aren't overly complicated, and they are mostly intuitive, but much like with other things repetition and practice does help. I'm managed to maneuver my way through it without much hassle. The bluetooth setup was a snap and the folks at AcuraLink were quite pleasing to deal with while getting enrolled and setup.

The vehicle (I'm having a hard time calling it a "car"...I just cannot bring myself to do it!!) rides sooooo well. It handles shockingly sharp for a midsize SUV and I really love the SH-AWD's grip and actions. I've found that I enjoy the Sport Dynamic Mode the best, as it most mimics the shifts that I had in the tuned truck. We'll see how well that equates to fuel efficiency though.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Racer

Loving the Lunar Silver Metallic. This color cleans up so well.
Attached Thumbnails New owner - '17 SH-AWD Tech-mdx-clean.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 06:22 AM
Banned

Ya know, it's funny you asked. I actually don't have any complaints thus far (aside from missing the tuned 420-450 ft/lb of torque the truck had!).
The Ford Sync with MyFordTouch was user friendly, but it was laggy, kind of like a 5 year old Android phone. But it worked nearly all the time. So far, the Nav screen hasn't bothered me, but I did change the background to black from blue at night and it pleases my eyes a bit better. The entertainment touchscreen is haptic and I like it. Sure it could be more crisp, sure it could have less steps to turn on heated seats, but honestly it's a drastic improvement over A LOT of options out there. It's what I like to call "first world problems". It's hard to complain about creature comforts, and yes I know it's a $50k+ vehicles, but as long as you set expectations accordingly, then you won't be disappointed.

The systems aren't overly complicated, and they are mostly intuitive, but much like with other things repetition and practice does help. I'm managed to maneuver my way through it without much hassle. The bluetooth setup was a snap and the folks at AcuraLink were quite pleasing to deal with while getting enrolled and setup.

The vehicle (I'm having a hard time calling it a "car"...I just cannot bring myself to do it!!) rides sooooo well. It handles shockingly sharp for a midsize SUV and I really love the SH-AWD's grip and actions. I've found that I enjoy the Sport Dynamic Mode the best, as it most mimics the shifts that I had in the tuned truck. We'll see how well that equates to fuel efficiency though.
Yeah I think the only thing looking at the videos which I wasn't a fan off was having to go into menus to tweak the seat heating. Would have preferred a simple on off but again thats just nit picking!

Color looks great btw...Are you considering getting the front two windows tinted as well? My dealer emailed me to ask me but ofcourse wanted 169$ to do it !
MCDavis (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TypeAcura
Yeah I think the only thing looking at the videos which I wasn't a fan off was having to go into menus to tweak the seat heating. Would have preferred a simple on off but again thats just nit picking!

Color looks great btw...Are you considering getting the front two windows tinted as well? My dealer emailed me to ask me but ofcourse wanted 169$ to do it !
So I found something neat this morning, that the manual didn't tell me about.
When the heated seats are set to "Auto" they will come on with remote start...I expected that! What I didn't expect was for them to gradually turn themselves DOWN as the vehicle, and my ass, heated up. I'm impressed with that!

Thank you about the color. We went back and forth (me and the Mrs) about color. I started with Black Copper Pearl (love that Espresso damnit!) and then Blue Fathom, but we ended up going between Modern Steel and Lunar Silver and ultimately you see where we are. I love the color. And yes, I have an appointment at 11:00 this morning for front tint. $125 for full ceramic.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
When the heated seats are set to "Auto" they will come on with remote start...I expected that! What I didn't expect was for them to gradually turn themselves DOWN as the vehicle, and my ass, heated up. I'm impressed with that!

Thank you about the color. We went back and forth (me and the Mrs) about color. I started with Black Copper Pearl (love that Espresso damnit!) and then Blue Fathom, but we ended up going between Modern Steel and Lunar Silver and ultimately you see where we are. I love the color. And yes, I have an appointment at 11:00 this morning for front tint. $125 for full ceramic.
Nice truck, I think the Lunar Silver is great on the MDX. My Wife's TLX is Lunar Silver so if I get the MDX this spring it will have to be White or Black
MCDavis (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Loving the Lunar Silver Metallic. This color cleans up so well.
I like the way the pattern in the grille pops with that color combo.
MCDavis (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BruceLandry1
Nice truck, I think the Lunar Silver is great on the MDX. My Wife's TLX is Lunar Silver so if I get the MDX this spring it will have to be White or Black
Thanks. The beast was my baby. I tinkered with it A LOT. Someone is getting a very nice truck. They gave me a very good trade value ($500 less than what my ideal number was) so I'm not too upset. I love the MDX in black, but the wife's 09 TSX is CBP and I'm tired of keeping a black vehicle clean.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I like the way the pattern in the grille pops with that color combo.
Me too! It's gloss black, and a bitch to clean. I think I need baby hands to get between each little crevice. It definitely is a nice contrast against the LSM.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tip on the heated seats! I decided to bite the bullet and let the dealer do the tint and a 3MM (my MDX is black) so he gave me a decent deal as a bundle...Means I have to wait another two days to take delivery but it's worth it.

Are you using 91 or 94 premium gas? Dealer gave me a 'recommendation' to use 94 for the first few fills but after searching the forums I don't think that's recommended anywhere by Acura!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Beautiful MDX man! I love your color choice! Congrats and enjoy.
MCDavis (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Racer

Thanks for the tip on the heated seats! I decided to bite the bullet and let the dealer do the tint and a 3MM (my MDX is black) so he gave me a decent deal as a bundle...Means I have to wait another two days to take delivery but it's worth it.

Are you using 91 or 94 premium gas? Dealer gave me a 'recommendation' to use 94 for the first few fills but after searching the forums I don't think that's recommended anywhere by Acura!
This company uses LLumar, and I went with Pinnacle series for the full ceramic. I went back and forth on how dark, 15% vs 35% and finally settled on 35% since the wife will be driving it a bit more and 15% can be difficult to see out of in less urban areas. For what it's worth, the rear glass read 15-16% on the guy's meter.

I'm still on the "free" fillup from the dealer, and I'm pretty sure they use 87 octane in everything they fillup. However, I'll be running 93 octane it in here in Richmond because it's readily available. It also helps that the station up on the corner is a high volume 93 supplier so I won't have too much worry about stale gas. I've been running the wife's TSX on 93 for the last 70k miles and it's quite happy on it. The truck was tuned to 93 octane also, so it's not a drastic change for me...aside from not having to fill a 36 gallon tank!!!!

Originally Posted by a35tl
Beautiful MDX man! I love your color choice! Congrats and enjoy.
Thank you. I actually like the color better in low light, like dusk. Has a slight blue hue to it. Dare I say it's sexy.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:38 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
The heated seats will also adjust up/down when you adjust the temp toggle up/down.
MCDavis (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MTD
The heated seats will also adjust up/down when you adjust the temp toggle up/down.
hmmm something else to pay attention to!
Old 02-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Congrats on the new 17 MDX. 2010 MDX owner here thinking about getting a 17 or 18 MDX. Don't know much about Jewel Eye headlights except what I see on the Acura website. Can current owners tell me if the jewel eyes can swivel with turns of the steering wheel like my old 2006 RL projector xenons ? Guessing the hi beam jewels on the inboard side can be set to automatic so they light up when there are no cars ahead... Is this true ? Any other special features of the jewel eyes that a previous generation Acura owner like me should learn about ? Any cornering lamp functions embedded in the jewel eyes ?Can they vary beam shape automatically or something like that based on oncoming traffic ? Look forward to learning from all you new generation MDX owners.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MTD
Learned something new! Watched this happen this morning. Thanks!

Tried to get a picture of the tint...
Attached Thumbnails New owner - '17 SH-AWD Tech-img_5752.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ06RL
Congrats on the new 17 MDX. 2010 MDX owner here thinking about getting a 17 or 18 MDX. Don't know much about Jewel Eye headlights except what I see on the Acura website. Can current owners tell me if the jewel eyes can swivel with turns of the steering wheel like my old 2006 RL projector xenons ? Guessing the hi beam jewels on the inboard side can be set to automatic so they light up when there are no cars ahead... Is this true ? Any other special features of the jewel eyes that a previous generation Acura owner like me should learn about ? Any cornering lamp functions embedded in the jewel eyes ?Can they vary beam shape automatically or something like that based on oncoming traffic ? Look forward to learning from all you new generation MDX owners.
The Jewel Eyes are fixed, but their beam pattern is quite wide. I typically will only buy a vehicle that has fog lights strictly for the reason of corner and ditch illumination. I purposely test drove this vehicle at night to see what the LEDs could do, and I'm quite impressed. My truck had a retrofit at one time, and these are very close to that retrofit's output.

The high beams are in the inner 2 cubes of the 5. The auto brights were actually annoying to me, so I have turned them off. They can be activated "on command" but I prefer them to default to off.
NJ06RL (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Racer

For anyone that's curious. The first attachment is my F150 with OSRAM CBI's in the factory HID housings, and Rigids SAE approved fog lights. The heads were about 3500 lumen a piece and the fogs were 1700 lumens per pod.
The second attachment is the Jewel Eyes with no fog lights, cause I only have a Tech
Same road, tried to get the same position on the road. Roughly the same time of night. The F150 pic was taken about a month ago.
Attached Thumbnails New owner - '17 SH-AWD Tech-f150-cbis-saes.jpg   New owner - '17 SH-AWD Tech-mdx-jewel-eyes.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
The fogs sure make a difference in width but that is what I would have expected. The Jewel Eye does cast a brighter ( clearer ? ) sort of beam and the beam looks more penetrating. Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Racer

The Jewel Eyes are more consistent and I think they cover more than my OEM HIDs and even the retrofit did alone. The Rigid fogs helped fill in the outer edges, but in all honesty, they were turned about 10 degrees outward too!!

I'm VERY happy with the Jewel Eyes, and I think it goes without saying that I'm a bit OCD about head lights.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:02 AM
Racer

Just got back from a 3 day business trip in Charlotte NC. 315 miles one way and it was a great trip. This vehicle is soooo much more ride compliant than the truck and it cruises between 75-80mph effortlessly. Ran near 80mph for over 3/4 of the trip and managed a couple ticks over 25mpg (hand calculated) going and coming. Pretty happy with that, as that's about 8mpg better than the truck would have done at the same speeds. I found that I could end up in the 27mpg range when the speeds were around 65mph. Pretty impressive for me as that's not too far behind the wife's TSX.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Racer

I'm going to have to start hiding the MDX keys. It's gone missing a bit since I've taken delivery. As a result her TSX has been with me a bit. Only logical thing to do was have it tinted. 35% on the doors and back glass.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 MDX Advance AWD

This is my 3rd MDX, the 17 is best one so far I own this car for 7 months with 3600 miles.. The car has great acceleration. The car drives like a sports car. Had some issues with the navigation , which was replaced by the dealer. Its working for now!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

I'm going to have to start hiding the MDX keys. It's gone missing a bit since I've taken delivery. As a result her TSX has been with me a bit. Only logical thing to do was have it tinted. 35% on the doors and back glass.

The paint on that TSX looks awesome! Any specific polish/wax ur using?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Racer

The paint on that TSX looks awesome! Any specific polish/wax ur using?
Thanks. First and foremost is an Autoscrub sponge as a claying replacement. It's always been a base coat of Meguiars Ultimate Paste and a variety of spray waxes inbetween. I've used a lot but have settled on Meguiars Synthetic XPress by the gallon.
Meguiar's D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax - 1 Gallon
Amazon Amazon

It's the same-ish formula as their Ultimate spray wax and I'm really happy with it. Using it on both vehicles. Two light coats at a time. It actually performs a little better than the USW from what I've seen so far even though Megs claims it's the same just in commercial quantities. It smells slightly different though.