Naviks Video Interface

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Ahh that's a good idea using alt devices with the RCA inputs... Hmm makes me want to reinstall the Naviks and test that actually (all these mirroring devices have just about the same amount of RCA inputs in addition to the HDMI being used for primary), but yeah, hard to justify when I barely drive the MDX anymore lol. Let me know what Miracast unit you eventually use. Also, are you using iPhone or Android?
Old 04-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both my wife and I are android users. I've ordered 3 Belkin Miracast devices and all three have been duds. So I am just taking a step back and waiting for the next reliable item to be available. If I am not mistaken, the Naviks unit had 2 RCA outs and 1 HDMI out. Should be more than enough for most (esp if you have an Advance model). My wife really likes how there is no longer an external switch. However, I don't like how the jog dial still works when I am using my external inputs and when I restart the car, the input is reset back to the factory display (unlike a hard switch). Not a deal killer, but something I got used to with my previous setup. Navtool also released a new software updater, so hopefully, that one allows me to make adjustments to the video descriptions (it was a broken link a few months ago and they emailed me an older version to program).

Originally Posted by neoshi
Ahh that's a good idea using alt devices with the RCA inputs... Hmm makes me want to reinstall the Naviks and test that actually (all these mirroring devices have just about the same amount of RCA inputs in addition to the HDMI being used for primary), but yeah, hard to justify when I barely drive the MDX anymore lol. Let me know what Miracast unit you eventually use. Also, are you using iPhone or Android?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Simi_MDX
I lied. Decided to check out of work an hour early today and install it. Good news, it works! Attaching pics of the unit with the cables along with a shot of the screen. I wonder if there is a way to make the descriptions disappear. Also, while I change the inputs, there's a white box that shows up, but I can't see what I am scrolling. The cables were long enough for me to actually leave it in the transmission tunnel. This will make it easy for me to access the unit, add inputs, etc. It's not 100% the way I would want it, but it is pretty good. There is no button to install. I tested out the RCA inputs (tapped the OEM DVD player) and the HDMI input. I didn't have a y splitter handy so I didn't install my Roku. Eventually, my HDMI will be a miracast unit, rear input is the OEM DVD player, left is the Roku, front is a front camera, and right will be a lane change camera (if i can find a rear view mirror from an advance. I don't think you can do all this with a Naviks unit, but if you are just trying to do a basic install, I would prefer the plug and play version of the Naviks.
how long ago did you order yours? mine arrived 100% plug and play

BTW do you know that the text you have on the bottom of the screen can be turned off ?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acuralongtime
how long ago did you order yours? mine arrived 100% plug and play

BTW do you know that the text you have on the bottom of the screen can be turned off ?
I ordered mine late last year and then had to send it back last month since it didn't work. The website still says you need to tap for power, ground, etc. The video cables are plug and play, but not the rest. Can you attach a pic of what your cables look like?

As for the text on the bottom, I will try to reprogram tomorrow. The app they emailed to me doesn't allow the change. However, they posted a new app on their website, which looks like it has those options. I didn't want to do any adjustments prior to my trip in case it causes it to break, then I would be out of front video viewing.

Does anyone know how to increase brightness? Some of the movies I play are too dark. If i increase the display, then my OEM display is too bright. My old box had a switch on the box to increase only the feed.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered mine late last year and then had to send it back last month since it didn't work. The website still says you need to tap for power, ground, etc. The video cables are plug and play, but not the rest. Can you attach a pic of what your cables look like?

As for the text on the bottom, I will try to reprogram tomorrow. The app they emailed to me doesn't allow the change. However, they posted a new app on their website, which looks like it has those options. I didn't want to do any adjustments prior to my trip in case it causes it to break, then I would be out of front video viewing.

Does anyone know how to increase brightness? Some of the movies I play are too dark. If i increase the display, then my OEM display is too bright. My old box had a switch on the box to increase only the feed.
I ordered my navtool recently so it came 100% plug and play.

i played around the the app so you can easily remote the text.

you can increase Acura display brightens, but why no use smartphone instead of DVD?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acuralongtime

you can increase Acura display brightens, but why no use smartphone instead of DVD?
DVD is played both front and rear screens. Roku signal is split between front and rear as well. Smartphone display is limited to front only (can't pass HDMI to rear screen).
Old 04-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
DVD is played both front and rear screens. Roku signal is split between front and rear as well. Smartphone display is limited to front only (can't pass HDMI to rear screen).
The Naviks seems to have a way to feed a few of the cables into the feed for the rear. I haven't checked the wiring diagrams to see which ones they are, but I'm thinking maybe you could adapt your Navtool to do the same using the same cables. Just a thought.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neoshi
The Naviks seems to have a way to feed a few of the cables into the feed for the rear. I haven't checked the wiring diagrams to see which ones they are, but I'm thinking maybe you could adapt your Navtool to do the same using the same cables. Just a thought.
I think you are correct about passing RCA feeds (I haven't tried but my NavTool does have an RCA out), but was told that HDMI inputs cannot be passed/duplicated. I will try once I get around to it, but based on DRM rules, I doubt it can be passed. My Rokus won't even let me simultaneously output HDMI and RCA.

So far everything is working as expected. Thank you Neoshi for your posts.