AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   Naviks Video Interface (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/naviks-video-interface-942416/)

Reinnie 02-25-2016 04:30 PM

Naviks Video Interface

Hi guys,

Finally installed Naviks Video Interface. It took me a few hours to install, even though it was an easy install. Hardest part was where to route the wires. There are two small bolt screw type under that radio, those two screws are a pain to remove.....at least for me.

Naviks forgot to send me the hdmi interface but after calling them they send it one day express!

I will also be installing Flir Auto Thermo Imaging Camera in my car. I live in NE with one of the highest deer population. Will be hooking up the camera to the Naviks.

I will post video later.

Below are some pics:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ecbcb50a5.jpeg

Connected my Roku just to test. Won't be watching any movies on this. <br/><br/>Just happy that I can finally put Waze on my car screen.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...bf73f05b7.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...b197dda3e.jpeg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...fbc3b5d42.jpeg

Reinnie 02-25-2016 04:32 PM

BTW, don't listen to what NavTool have to say about other competitors. Naviks have been very supportive and glad I finally bought from them.

neoshi 02-25-2016 05:19 PM

Hey how's the resolution on it? I'm considering getting a WiDi type dongle to hook up to the HDMI connection because some Android phones are moving away from MHL interface.

Like this:

Reinnie 02-25-2016 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 15689514)
Hey how's the resolution on it? I'm considering getting a WiDi type dongle to hook up to the HDMI connection because some Android phones are moving away from MHL interface.

Like this: Amazon.com: Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 Wireless Display Receiver(SBWD60A01): Computers & Accessories

Below is one of the videos from roku, my kid's channels. The quality is actually better in real life than the video. I will try to post video from my phone once I can get a hold of my wife's phone to record.

Reinnie 02-25-2016 06:26 PM

The lines moving left/right up/down aren't there in real life. It's just from the recording.

baelim 02-25-2016 06:31 PM

looking good! congrats!! you really should share this on the navtool thread. be sure to talk to ron_a first or he might delete it.

neoshi 02-25-2016 06:35 PM

Cool, so if I'm seeing this correctly, you have the base navik's vehicle interface ($399 silver box), and then there's an HDMI interface (black box?) that's connected to the MHL port in the vehicle interface? And then you connect say.. your Roku dongle (or even chromecast dongle) to the HDMI interface, use the USB power or cigarette port in the center storage compartment to power the dongle, and hotspot to connect it all together?

Reinnie 02-25-2016 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by baelim (Post 15689565)
looking good! congrats!! you really should share this on the navtool thread. be sure to talk to ron_a first or he might delete it.

Thanks! I'm still waiting for my refund from you know who!

Reinnie 02-25-2016 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 15689574)
Cool, so if I'm seeing this correctly, you have the base navik's vehicle interface ($399 silver box), and then there's an HDMI interface (black box?) that's connected to the MHL port in the vehicle interface? And then you connect say.. your Roku dongle (or even chromecast dongle) to the HDMI interface, use the USB power or cigarette port in the center storage compartment to power the dongle, and hotspot to connect it all together?

$399 includes silver box & HDMI interface (black, connect to MHL of silver box).

I actually didn't use roku dongle. I used roku 3 connected to outside power source. Mainly I just wanted to test everything was working the way it should be. The video quality is good enough for me since I'm going to use it mainly for Waze and my thermo cam.

I think the video quality is as good as the two LED screen video in the headrest.

Reinnie 02-25-2016 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by baelim (Post 15689565)

That's the reason I didn't post in there. NavTool will have a fit!

neoshi 02-25-2016 06:50 PM

Ah nice. Thanks for the clarification. I thought I needed to get that other white box for $145 as well. Well, hopefully I can figure out a good wireless interface soon with the loss of MHL support on the flagship Androids soon.

808tesh 02-25-2016 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Reinnie (Post 15689480)
BTW, don't listen to what NavTool have to say about other competitors. Naviks have been very supportive and glad I finally bought from them.

Has NavTool been badmouthing competitors? That's the first I've heard of it... I'm good about researching vendors and their products and I've actually never heard of Naviks until this post.

Do you mind helping answer a few questions? I'm not related to either company but genuinely curious of how the products compare and which is best overall technology.
  1. Do you have any NavTool first hand experience?
  2. How would you compare Naviks vs NavTool? (are the specs the same?)
  3. If you've seen the install videos for NavTool, how does Naviks compare in ease / complexity of installation?
  4. Have you tried both i-device and android outside of HDMI input?
  5. Any idea why Naviks hadn't advertised their 2014 MDX Device? (I say this because had I known something was on the line, It would help me consider my choices)

Finally, not a question, the FLIR idea is awesome! Please post back when that's installed, it'll be amazing!

Reinnie 02-25-2016 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 808tesh (Post 15689593)
Has NavTool been badmouthing competitors? That's the first I've heard of it... I'm good about researching vendors and their products and I've actually never heard of Naviks until this post.

Do you mind helping answer a few questions? I'm not related to either company but genuinely curious of how the products compare and which is best overall technology.
  1. Do you have any NavTool first hand experience?
  2. How would you compare Naviks vs NavTool? (are the specs the same?)
  3. If you've seen the install videos for NavTool, how does Naviks compare in ease / complexity of installation?
  4. Have you tried both i-device and android outside of HDMI input?
  5. Any idea why Naviks hadn't advertised their 2014 MDX Device? (I say this because had I known something was on the line, It would help me consider my choices)

Finally, not a question, the FLIR idea is awesome! Please post back when that's installed, it'll be amazing!

LOL, I actually never heard of Naviks before either! Baelim had mentioned them.

To answer all your questions, yes NavTool has said negative things about Naviks. If you follow the group buy page of NavTool, you will know exactly what I'm talking about. I put in a pre-order back in December, like the rest of the 50+ people on AcuraZine. They kept pushing back the date, and still don't have an actual production date. I finally gave up and asked for my money back. They still have not refunded my money.

Anyway, I'm not here to start another thread about NavTool. They might actually come through one day and produce an actual product.

You can read all about it here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsor.../#post15687686

neoshi 02-25-2016 07:08 PM

And here: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...ng-tlx-922579/

Reinnie 02-25-2016 07:10 PM

I forgot to mention that in order to change the video input, there's a separate button that is included with Naviks. You can't change video input from car button.

baelim 02-26-2016 06:27 AM

i originally found naviks by going through past forum posts. i think it was a tsx owner who listed 2 or 3 module makers. out of them all the only one that had a module for a current Acura was Naviks. At the time they only had an RLX module so I contacted them to see if it would work on my TLX and immediately they asked me if I lived near the NYC area to have it tested for a discount unit. At the time I was too busy so I bid my time to see if another TLX owner would take this offer but long into 2015 nothing happened.

I tried to schedule a time to drive up there but ergo I realized that the sooner Naviks has a tested unit for TLX the less the Navtool folks would be able to sell their non-existing unit so I shared the info in the TLX forum. I don't think there has been any takers...

Point to me was that Navtool had promised a "shipping" unit for my TLX back in 2014 (not a typo) while Naviks was patiently waiting to test theirs on one. Usually one would assume that if the module works on the new RLX it would work across all models and I think that's how Navtool has extended their group buy across the entire Acura lineup but Naviks had some integrity to stay "we need to test this before marking it across everything" That was the only selling point for me to want to champion them.

I think the MDX module came out a couple of months ago. I've been following their progress from being just an ebay vendor with a facebook page to creating their website. They take it slow but do things right.

Reinnie 02-26-2016 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by baelim (Post 15689824)
i originally found naviks by going through past forum posts. i think it was a tsx owner who listed 2 or 3 module makers. out of them all the only one that had a module for a current Acura was Naviks. At the time they only had an RLX module so I contacted them to see if it would work on my TLX and immediately they asked me if I lived near the NYC area to have it tested for a discount unit. At the time I was too busy so I bid my time to see if another TLX owner would take this offer but long into 2015 nothing happened.

I tried to schedule a time to drive up there but ergo I realized that the sooner Naviks has a tested unit for TLX the less the Navtool folks would be able to sell their non-existing unit so I shared the info in the TLX forum. I don't think there has been any takers...

Point to me was that Navtool had promised a "shipping" unit for my TLX back in 2014 (not a typo) while Naviks was patiently waiting to test theirs on one. Usually one would assume that if the module works on the new RLX it would work across all models and I think that's how Navtool has extended their group buy across the entire Acura lineup but Naviks had some integrity to stay "we need to test this before marking it across everything" That was the only selling point for me to want to champion them.

I think the MDX module came out a couple of months ago. I've been following their progress from being just an ebay vendor with a facebook page to creating their website. They take it slow but do things right.

Crazy that you have been waiting for two yrs!! And nothing so far from NavTool. I guess the current wait list people will be waiting for an unicorn.

Temp. here was around 25F last night. Naviks worked with no problem. Thought I should mention that since NavTool has posted one link at Honda forum with someone having cold temp. issues with Naviks.

haidarh 02-26-2016 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 15689514)

Like this: Amazon.com: Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 Wireless Display Receiver(SBWD60A01): Computers & Accessories

Hi i was checking the ScreenBeam Mini2 Wireless Display Receiver, it seems good for projection but how about sound ? when you mirror a movie/you tube from your smartphone to the screen ? how about sound lag ? do you have any information?

neoshi 02-26-2016 04:26 PM

I haven't used it personally yet, but someone here has (I can't remember who now). There is some lag at higher resolutions, but it seems whoever tried it here, this was the only one that worked well.

Reinnie 02-26-2016 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 808tesh (Post 15689593)

Finished installing FLIR Thermal PathfindIR camera to the car. I had my son walk towards me. It's supposed to automatically detect animals/people and box them in yellow box.

Naviks still working wig no issues.

See below:

haidarh 02-26-2016 07:36 PM

Nice work reinnie. I like it a lot. I used to live in Cincinnati/ fort Thomas a lot of dears in the area. But now I live in LA.

Reinnie 02-26-2016 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by haidarh (Post 15690452)
Nice work reinnie. I like it a lot. I used to live in Cincinnati/ fort Thomas a lot of dears in the area. But now I live in LA.

Thanks! We live in deer country! We frequently have over 20+ deer in our backyard. A lot of deer accidents, I'm hoping this will help.

neoshi 02-26-2016 08:34 PM

Wow nice. It seems to work very well! :thumbsup:

jateelover 03-14-2016 01:35 PM

Curious to know how Waze works on this. I guess it would just mirror your phone screen. I'm either going to purchase a 2014 or 2011 MDX soon here, the 2014 has no Nav, but has the screens. Would rather have Waze anywaze.

neoshi 03-14-2016 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jateelover (Post 15703104)
Curious to know how Waze works on this. I guess it would just mirror your phone screen. I'm either going to purchase a 2014 or 2011 MDX soon here, the 2014 has no Nav, but has the screens. Would rather have Waze anywaze.

It basically just shows what your phone screen shows, but you need to still control Waze via the phone.

Reinnie 03-14-2016 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 15703125)
It basically just shows what your phone screen shows, but you need to still control Waze via the phone.

What Neoshi said. My family and I just went on a road trip with 5hrs drive, Naviks worked without any issues. It shows whatever your phone is showing. I understand the mirroring, but I think it would be nice for it to show what my phone is showing even when I turn off the screen. I understand that will never happen because if it did then it would no longer be called mirroring.

808tesh 03-17-2016 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Reinnie (Post 15703442)
[...], but I think it would be nice for it to show what my phone is showing even when I turn off the screen. [...]

I've done this before with a Samsung Note 2 - when they had 11pin MHL, the licensed samsung dock had the ability to trigger the docking profile and 'mute' the screen while everything projected. AFAIK android is the only OS that can make this happen, though it might be with a rooted OS

Reinnie 03-17-2016 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 808tesh (Post 15705533)
I've done this before with a Samsung Note 2 - when they had 11pin MHL, the licensed samsung dock had the ability to trigger the docking profile and 'mute' the screen while everything projected. AFAIK android is the only OS that can make this happen, though it might be with a rooted OS

Good idea! I'm going to try that!

neoshi 03-17-2016 04:59 PM

Sooo, what are you guys going to do when you get new phones that don't support MHL? Maybe just a wifi based streaming dongle of some sort?

Reinnie 03-17-2016 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 15705634)
Sooo, what are you guys going to do when you get new phones that don't support MHL? Maybe just a wifi based streaming dongle of some sort?

I will be upgrading my iPhone 6 to 7 this fall. If it no longer supports MHL, I'm going to keep my current phone instead of selling on eBay. I'll just turn on hotspot on the new phone and connect old phone to it. Only use my old phone to mirror Waze only, GPS will still work regardless of network.

neoshi 03-17-2016 05:59 PM

Gotcha. Yeah I was considering doing that too, though I tried that in one of my last cars and kept forgetting to either charge the phone when I put it in the compartment to hide (though not a problem in the MDX because you can hide and charge it in the same compartment)... or the battery on the old phone tended to die off overnight if I forgot to turn it off after using it... and then if I needed to turn it back on, it took some time to boot up... etcetc. Basically got tired of the extra steps lol

Reinnie 03-17-2016 09:52 PM

Very true though. I would prefer to save the extra step of using two phones. I hope Apple won't change anything on iPhone 7, but looks like they will.

808tesh 03-18-2016 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 15705634)

!NEVER!! lol

One way or another, phones will have hdmi output, even if it's not via Micro-USB MHL protocol. Outside of that, a WiDi adapter ($40 for the microsoft one for example) will stream just about anything on that protocol - honestly i might find myself using that from the start.

I have a S7 edge right now, which with WiDi and Qi charging, i'd go wireless by continuing to use my wireless charging dock in the car + widi for screen mirror... the real magic would be multi-screen mirror w/android

E92Vancouver 03-19-2016 04:41 AM

neoshi 04-16-2016 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going to leave this head unit wiring and plug diagram here for anyone who may need to use it in the future

Reinnie 04-16-2016 07:22 PM

Cool! Thanks!

baelim 04-18-2016 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 15728493)
Going to leave this head unit wiring and plug diagram here for anyone who may need to use it in the future

An addendum to the wiring above: the G connector which I've been studying up for my TLX is identical (no surprise) and here's the kicker: my G16 cavity, the power source for the Rear view Cam, is described to need 8v (not 12v which it's typical).

This makes me assume that either:

1. my TLX is unique in managing to delivering 8v to the rear cam or
2. the MDX also delivers 8v but it's not noted ergo trying to hardwire a rear view cam project you could well possibly fry the cam or
3. the cam (if it's the same for both models) can handle both 8v or 12v ergo I don't need to worry about a stupid voltage regulator for my rear cam project.

either case I thought I'd yet y'all know because diy can get tricky enough as is. i strongly recommend measuring all voltages before proceeding.

zeltser 07-27-2016 02:56 PM

Got Naviks installed, wow real junk. First one they send me harness was defective as they say, second one worked for a week and never worked again. Third one worked for 1 day and now after about 30 minutes it gets really hot and video starts flickering. I'm sending this garbage back.

kdfdawg 08-02-2016 07:01 AM

hey reinnie - how's the naviks been holding up for you? i just picked up a 2017 adv/ent and am looking to get this installed. Have you had any issues at all?

zeltser 08-02-2016 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by kdfdawg (Post 15816039)
hey reinnie - how's the naviks been holding up for you? i just picked up a 2017 adv/ent and am looking to get this installed. Have you had any issues at all?

Garbage stay away, I just ordered USA made brand