Naviks Video Interface

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 MDX Naviks Interface

All,

I can honestly say the Naviks interface is great and reliable. I have had it in my 2014 MDX until just a few months ago when I removed it prior to lease turn-in. I had it in the vehicle for almost 3 years and zero issues. connected it to an AppleTv Gen. 3 and used it to watch streaming Netflix, HBO & AirPlay Mirroring from my cell phone. The AirPlay mirroring was the best use of this, as the OEM navigation system in the MDX is trash, I was able to put Google Maps on instead utilizing this device, and had real-time traffic and turn-by-turn voice guidance. The Naviks unit is a real winner!

I am selling it btw, as we leased another non-Acura vehicle. $200 shipped ... PM me if interested.

--Antonio
Old 03-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased a NavTool box and I have to say it arrived fairly quick. Customer Service is awesome as I was getting help at 10pm at night and I am on the West Coast. Install is not as easy as I see on the Naviks units. You need to splice 5 wires and the video cables have to be connected to the Nav screen instead of just connecting to the cables behind the head unit. Knowing this, I still bought a NavTool unit because I like how you can have more than 2 video inputs (I have the factory DVD, a Roku, and a front camera), there is no external switch to activate the inputs, and the box appeared smaller than the Naviks unit. The NavTool box also extracts audio from the HDMI port, but you'll have to loop it back into your system through the AUX in. All in all, you get much more than the Naviks box.

That said, my NavTool box did not work. :-( The video was scrambled . I am not sure if it is because I have a 2017, I had bad cables, or a bad box. It is in the process of being RMA'd, which I am not too thrilled about as this requires me to tear apart my car for the 2nd time in the future and it cost me shipping to return (they won't send a replacement until I return the defective unit). I was advised that all their boxes are pretested, so my faith in the next box working is low. Hopefully the one I got snuck by their QC process and the replacement one will work great.

Wish me luck and I'll keep you all posted.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:34 PM
BANNED

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Simi_MDX
I purchased a NavTool box and I have to say it arrived fairly quick. Customer Service is awesome as I was getting help at 10pm at night and I am on the West Coast. Install is not as easy as I see on the Naviks units. You need to splice 5 wires and the video cables have to be connected to the Nav screen instead of just connecting to the cables behind the head unit. Knowing this, I still bought a NavTool unit because I like how you can have more than 2 video inputs (I have the factory DVD, a Roku, and a front camera), there is no external switch to activate the inputs, and the box appeared smaller than the Naviks unit. The NavTool box also extracts audio from the HDMI port, but you'll have to loop it back into your system through the AUX in. All in all, you get much more than the Naviks box.

That said, my NavTool box did not work. :-( The video was scrambled . I am not sure if it is because I have a 2017, I had bad cables, or a bad box. It is in the process of being RMA'd, which I am not too thrilled about as this requires me to tear apart my car for the 2nd time in the future and it cost me shipping to return (they won't send a replacement until I return the defective unit). I was advised that all their boxes are pretested, so my faith in the next box working is low. Hopefully the one I got snuck by their QC process and the replacement one will work great.

Wish me luck and I'll keep you all posted.
how long ago did you purchase it?

i instilled one recently and it was all plug and play

do you have yellow labels on the cable that says do not pull?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

I purchased mine last December and only got around to installing it last week. It also did not come pre-programmed. I had to download the software and update the box. It was not plug and play (I didn't have to cut anything, but still had to tap factory wires) and there were no labels saying to not pull anything.

Originally Posted by restron
how long ago did you purchase it?

i instilled one recently and it was all plug and play

do you have yellow labels on the cable that says do not pull?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM
BANNED

I purchased mine last December and only got around to installing it last week. It also did not come pre-programmed. I had to download the software and update the box. It was not plug and play (I didn't have to cut anything, but still had to tap factory wires) and there were no labels saying to not pull anything.
I purchased recently and I also had to download and update it, which only took about a minute.

NavTool explained it to me because of the features and since they have no way to know what customers will be installing it must be updated. However Update process is painless.

They now come with a label on the digital cable, that say do not pull, apparently they had some customers pull on the wire instead o releasing connectors and breaking the cable.

Mine was easy to install and worked right out of the box

as you mentioned late our support is helpful, they were helping me at midnight
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is this a good alternative??

Any thoughts on this? Seems to work without any wires which the NavTool requires. Currently debating if its worth going with NavTool or Naviks or this?
Any recommended installers in Houston who you have great experiences with? I don't want to go to just any stereo install place who have not done this before.
The following users liked this post:
rmccallister (02-06-2023)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by like2ace

Any thoughts on this? Seems to work without any wires which the NavTool requires. Currently debating if its worth going with NavTool or Naviks or this?
Any recommended installers in Houston who you have great experiences with? I don't want to go to just any stereo install place who have not done this before.
this is not an alternative, this is what you are sent when you order form china, this is an add on to the main interface, however it comes out very pixelated on the screen. It is only after navtool installation I realized what HD image quality means.

P.S. I've already done the research so you don't have to , i installed, interface from China, then form naviks and finally from navtool. you can private message me anytime
The following users liked this post:
rmccallister (02-06-2023)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by restron
this is not an alternative, this is what you are sent when you order form china, this is an add on to the main interface, however it comes out very pixelated on the screen. It is only after navtool installation I realized what HD image quality means.

P.S. I've already done the research so you don't have to , i installed, interface from China, then form naviks and finally from navtool. you can private message me anytime
Restron
Since you have tried both could you please explain which one is easier to use (without adding any buttons) on a daily basis. I am thinking of getting the NavTool for $329? but am not sure how to install it here in Houston.
Where do you hide/place the NavTool after it’s connected?
What do I need to take apart besides the radio panel? I have purchased the iPhone HDMI adapter
I suppose you can plug in an iPad as well?

Sorry about the number of questions but am very apprehensive of taking apart panels in our new 2017 MDX w/o Nav.
Kindly let me know. Your PM is disabled so not able to do that. But you can PM me.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My NavTool Arrived yesterday, will be installing today
Old 03-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Not sure why Restron is now banned.

Anyway, I'm at work and can't see the link you added. I'll try to answer your questions...

1. I've had a NavTV2Go unit in my old MDX and my G35. The little switch isn't that bad, but I think not having any switches is much slicker.
2. I didn't enjoy pulling my MDX apart, but honestly, it wasn't that bad. Follow the instructions for the parking sensors and you should be good. However, i really hate tapping factory wires.It looks horrible. Wish NavTools was fully plug and play.
3. I was planning to install the unit right under the steering column behind the ignition switch. There is enough space there for me to access the box if I needed to add an input or change things out. My roku is under the driver seat so I just run cables through the center tunnel.
4. I have not tried installing anything to the HDMI port as the pic from HDMI does not get passed to the rear screen, so I can't answer your iPhone/iPad questions.

Hope this helps.

Restron
Since you have tried both could you please explain which one is easier to use (without adding any buttons) on a daily basis. I am thinking of getting the NavTool for $329? but am not sure how to install it here in Houston.
Where do you hide/place the NavTool after it’s connected?
What do I need to take apart besides the radio panel? I have purchased the iPhone HDMI adapter
I suppose you can plug in an iPad as well?

Sorry about the number of questions but am very apprehensive of taking apart panels in our new 2017 MDX w/o Nav.
Kindly let me know. Your PM is disabled so not able to do that. But you can PM me.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Not sure why Restron is now banned.

Anyway, I'm at work and can't see the link you added. I'll try to answer your questions...

1. I've had a NavTV2Go unit in my old MDX and my G35. The little switch isn't that bad, but I think not having any switches is much slicker.
2. I didn't enjoy pulling my MDX apart, but honestly, it wasn't that bad. Follow the instructions for the parking sensors and you should be good. However, i really hate tapping factory wires.It looks horrible. Wish NavTools was fully plug and play.
3. I was planning to install the unit right under the steering column behind the ignition switch. There is enough space there for me to access the box if I needed to add an input or change things out. My roku is under the driver seat so I just run cables through the center tunnel.
4. I have not tried installing anything to the HDMI port as the pic from HDMI does not get passed to the rear screen, so I can't answer your iPhone/iPad questions.

Hope this helps.
i just received NavTool yesterday and it's all plug and play
Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acuralongtime
Will you be installing it yourself or having a stereo shop put it in? Please let me know if the center panels are easy to take apart and if there are any special precautions or wiring/tapping needed.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:41 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very curious about this as well. If you could take pics of the process, that would be awesome. Did you get the CarPlay enabled unit?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Will you be installing it yourself or having a stereo shop put it in? Please let me know if the center panels are easy to take apart and if there are any special precautions or wiring/tapping needed.
im installing it this evening, my wife's cousin works at best buy installation, he will come do it for me after work
Old 03-24-2018, 01:13 AM
Intermediate

I'm still waiting for my RMA. Did anyone else get theirs installed?
Old 03-26-2018, 02:40 PM
17X
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Navtool Does it too for Half the price.

Originally Posted by Reinnie
BTW, don't listen to what NavTool have to say about other competitors. Naviks have been very supportive and glad I finally bought from them.
Am using Navtool from about 2 years now. Don't have any issues with it. Does everything NAVIKS promises with out any problems.. Also its half the price .
Frankly I have not used NAVIKS personally. I will have to use it to give a fare comparison. I bought Navtool only because its was 50% cheaper that NAVIKS.

Ohh forgot to mention Navtool tool claims their unit if play and play...but I had to cut into two wires ...How about NAVIKS...did you cut any wires or was it fully (100%) plug and play?

Last edited by 17X; 03-26-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 17X
Am using Navtool from about 2 years now. Don't have any issues with it. Does everything NAVIKS promises with out any problems.. Also its half the price .
Frankly I have not used NAVIKS personally. I will have to use it to give a fare comparison. I bought Navtool only because its was 50% cheaper that NAVIKS.

Ohh forgot to mention Navtool tool claims their unit if play and play...but I had to cut into two wires ...How about NAVIKS...did you cut any wires or was it fully (100%) plug and play?
Hopefully i can get my wife's cousin to come thru and Install my NavTool
Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I have a Naviks and it did NOT need any wire splicing and was truly plug and play as advertised. I got into it with NavTool for claiming plug and play (amongst other things) when it really wasn't. Their response was basically everything these days requires splicing. Typical CS from Vitaliy... (disclaimer: I got into a CC dispute with NavTool, where they failed to deliver the product on time, didn't refund in a timely manner, so a dispute was started and they claimed it was unfair to get a refund after telling us that we were welcome to request refunds).

For install, it is really quite simple for Naviks. It was simply pull out the head unit, attach the harness that makes the Naviks work, and then find a way to secure the Naviks. Worked as advertised for me and used it for a while (selling it if anyone is interested in socal but can ship, mainly because my wife drives the MDX now and she doesn't bother to use it since she has a 6" screen phone, so pretty comparable to the 8" upper screen we have). The hardest part about the install is getting to the bolts UNDER the head unit. It's a tight space and there isn't good access. The screws facing you are also not inclined to come out smoothly.

Navtool and its multiple fake accounts seems to like to tout that the Naviks is blurry, but it isn't. I used it for Waze mainly and could see everything on the upper screen clearly, including street names. Keep in mind though that the output of video to the upper screen can have screen limit issues, so there may be some cutoff edges. This is more of a problem with the phone you use than the actual Naviks or Navtool unit. But I suspect if they had some sort of "Just Scan" mode for aspect ratio, it would be good. But you can see the pics from the OP as well. Mine looked clearer than the pics, but there is some motion blur in those pics.

I would say the biggest annoyance with all of these units (Naviks and Navtool) is the whole audio setup via aux. They really need to find a better way to output audio to the car, but it's not such a pain once you get used to switching to aux. Leave BT just for the phone functions, not the media functions, so that the phone doesn't get confused on which audio output it should use. Wifi dongles like the Chromecast can aid with the use, especially on phones that lack HDMI video support due to dropping MHL compatibility after USB-C came out. With iPhones, you just need that HDMI adapter and you're set for wired.

Also, if you need an install manual that shows you how to take apart the MDX head unit, you can ask Naviks for one. They will send the PDF to you. I also posted it earlier in this thread.

Oh and if you don't have the RES system with the DVD player, you don't have to do some steps of the install.. makes it much faster. Once you understand how everything fits together, you can probably manage to take the interior panel pieces off and install these units in about 15 minutes. That's about all I can think of for now.

Oh the 2017+ MDXes seem to need another unit or something. Naviks has an updated model number for 2017+, so NavTool users, I recommend you guys ask about updates or if there is a hardware revision required. This will probably be more true for 2018+ given the new hardware and software, but 2018+ users will not need these devices realistically.

Last edited by neoshi; 04-02-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Advanced

I haven't installed my navtool yet, but i have seen both side by side at a local meet and navtool picture is way cleaner. Navtool got front and side camera inputs. Someone please tell me why would you buy naviks if they sell lit on ebay from china for under $200.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Racer

I haven't installed my navtool yet, but i have seen both side by side at a local meet and navtool picture is way cleaner. Navtool got front and side camera inputs. Someone please tell me why would you buy naviks if they sell lit on ebay from china for under $200.
Can you post a link to the ebay unit?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Advanced

I don't have the link handy but if you do search in eBay from Chinese sellers you'll find plenty.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Racer

I don't have the link handy but if you do search in eBay from Chinese sellers you'll find plenty.
Yeaah.. not finding anything under $200..

I mean I've seen someone else claim the same thing, but many of the accounts that claim that seem to be banned shortly afterward for being some sort of NavTool alt account (not saying you are one of them).

I just don't see the devices you speak of. They're mostly generics that require splicing harnesses. Obviously most of these tech are similar hardware, but I'm still waiting to really see a comparable equivalent for sub $200 on ebay.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Advanced

i didn't realize you work for them, and you are being pretty annoying by defending them.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Racer

Lol getting a little defensive are we? I'm just looking for a link here for what you've claimed exists so that I have a point of reference. Isn't that what this forum is for? But hey, if you can't help and just want to make absurd claims like me working for them when I've paid for both a NavTool AND a Naviks, but NavTool couldn't deliver, then hey... more power to ya. I'm interested in what actually will work best for us MDX owners and if NavTool turns out to be it, I'd be happy to vouch for them if I ever get one again. But for now, all I can ask for is information. If you take offense from it, I can only surmise you have nothing to back up your claims.

And sure, color me skeptical because of the number of fake accounts NavTool has gotten banned on here.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Advanced

no one is getting defensive. You made a post clearly promoting a brand, you sound like you work there.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Racer

The post is straight facts from my experience installing the Naviks. I've aired my gripes with it too. How is that just promotion? If it turns out it works as advertised, is that not just telling it as it is?

The NavTool sounded great and the Corvette owners eventually reported great things about it, but they couldn't deliver for us MDX owners and that's why we don't have actual reviews here. I know you got one, so I'd really like for your relative to drop by to install it so we can get an actual review. I've also seen the TLX and ILX install, but nobody really reports much on how it is months later. So help us out.

Oh and if you really think I'm working for Naviks, why am I selling mine? Think about it buddy.

Last edited by neoshi; 04-03-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Advanced

I spent $549 for navtool carplay unit, naviks solution requires multiple interface, way more expensive and carplay cannot be controlled from the car joystick. Navtool Interface has 4 camera inputs and i should be able to control it form car joystick. When i asked naviks to email me pictures of the actual units that they sell, i was told that they can show it to me via face time which is weird. They don't hide the fact that they used to work for navtool and now they simply resell Chinese products.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Racer

That's cool. I'm not refuting what the NavTool can do or what features it has. I'm sure it does all those things. But hey if you want pics of the Naviks, I'll happily send some to ya.

Btw, your prior claim of NavTool for half the price of Naviks is in conflict with the actual price you paid for the NavTool. Naviks actually costs from their site $399.99 to mirror the smartphone via HDMI vs your $549 for NavTool.

Not really sure what tangent you're going on now. Are you sure you're not promoting NavTool or work for them?

Kidding aside, I just want to see some actual product info here.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Advanced

I never said Navtool was half the price, that was a different member. I said that you can get naviks for half the price directly from China, when i called naviks and asked about products online for half of what they offer it for they simply replied you are paying for warranty , tech support and customs. when i asked to see the manual they refused.

P.S. anyone wants to know if neoshi relly works for naviks, go ahead and email naviks to get copy of the manual i bet they will send you gladly lol

here is a prof that naviks made in china NAVIKS video interface Manufacturers and Suppliers - Factory - Navinterface Technology , problem is you cannot buy direct from china no one cares about one or two interface

navtool goes back to 2007 Wiring a Vizualogic headrest system - Page 3 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums and its made in USA American_Quality.aspx

and that's why give my hard earned money to navtool
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Advanced

then you read thread liek that and you know you got your mine well spent with navtool https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-where-968436/ hopefully i can have it installed soon
Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Racer

You're right that I got you and the other guy mixed up. My bad. Sometimes the commonly used phrases and tag lines really get muddied up between all the questionable accounts.

Have no idea how asking for a manual from their website chat proves if I work for them or not. Your thought process is quite... unique. I even got the manual from them when I was only planning on installing the NavTool but needed installation reference material because NavTool wouldn't give it--go figure!

We all know Naviks is made in China and is rebranded stuff. Spoiler alert: most of our stuff is! The problem is, we don't know of any other sources to get it from. That was why I asked the original question to you, but then you got all butt hurt about being questioned and we still don't know of an ebay source for these as you claimed.

But to your credit, you respond slightly different from the other prior questionable accounts that they've made, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and wait until you actually post an install or in use pics.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Advanced

dude you got some balls talking to me like that,

P.S. when i was doing my research this forum is full of people with navtool, why go to china to get questionable item ,and just like the other thread state when it fails 3 month later you have no where to go with that Chinese junk, so you are saving 0 dollars. When chonese junk is gone naviks will be gone too. $300, 400 ,500 is a lot of dough, i rather invest my cash back into my country
Old 04-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Racer

Beeecause they lied to us multiple times during the group buy and got banned from Azine (and all associated sites) as a result. All they had to do was tell us the truth but they strung us along and then refused to refund people.

But hey thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Advanced

I'm not them and you were addressing me, so unless you plan to really step up don't be a keyboard warrior.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Advanced

my research prior to spending $549 with NAvTool indicates that back when they were releasing 2 new products at same time. One here and one one for corvette, and on the corvette forum they had almost 600 pre-orders. it is my understanding that they delivered corvette first and Acura members got upset over the situation. i searched mdx forums and seeing navtool in 2007 made me real confident Wiring a Vizualogic headrest system - Page 3 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums don't get me wrong i don't hate naviks, its just they are made in china and they want me to pay double cause they imported here with a huge possibility that they will simply evaporate one day when i may need them. Just like few other relabeled products that i purchased form China in the past, so i rather stick with my homeland. Dont get me wrong but china is in fly by night copy business
Old 04-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Installed NavTool yet?

If you have resolved your beef w Neoshi can you please post install pics so others here can benefit from your install guidance?

oh and I don’t work for NavTool or Naviks ��
Old 04-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Advanced

i haven't installed mine yet
Old 04-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Racer

There is no beef.

Only chicken and pork. Maybe fishy.

Ok I'm going to go report myself for fighting and tongue-in-cheek insults.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

I guess i missed some heated discussions while I was out on vacay. Anyway, I got my replacement box last week. Still not fully plug and play. Looks like the same cables and boxes I sent back to them. Hopefully that is not the case. I'll get it installed this weekend. I'll take a few pictures of what it looks like. I really hope it works. As someone mentioned, it is pretty slick if it does work. HDMI in, 4 RCA inputs, and I noticed a video out cable. If that works, I can add additional screens in the long run.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:46 AM
Intermediate

I lied. Decided to check out of work an hour early today and install it. Good news, it works! Attaching pics of the unit with the cables along with a shot of the screen. I wonder if there is a way to make the descriptions disappear. Also, while I change the inputs, there's a white box that shows up, but I can't see what I am scrolling. The cables were long enough for me to actually leave it in the transmission tunnel. This will make it easy for me to access the unit, add inputs, etc. It's not 100% the way I would want it, but it is pretty good. There is no button to install. I tested out the RCA inputs (tapped the OEM DVD player) and the HDMI input. I didn't have a y splitter handy so I didn't install my Roku. Eventually, my HDMI will be a miracast unit, rear input is the OEM DVD player, left is the Roku, front is a front camera, and right will be a lane change camera (if i can find a rear view mirror from an advance. I don't think you can do all this with a Naviks unit, but if you are just trying to do a basic install, I would prefer the plug and play version of the Naviks.

Quick Reply: Naviks Video Interface