Name some issues you are having with your MDX.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The new wiper fluid motor is doing the same delay delivering the fluid after one dry wipe of the blades. ARGH! Will be interesting to see what service says.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Baby Shampoo! LOL But!!!

Originally Posted by 1bythesea
The new wiper fluid motor is doing the same delay delivering the fluid after one dry wipe of the blades. ARGH! Will be interesting to see what service says.
Let us know please!! One thing I did notice is the fluid will spray out sooner if the reservoir is at FULL capacity. Also, I enlarged the VENT hole that is located in the middle of the plastic cap that goes on to seal up the well after you add water.. I was thinking of adding some SOAPY solution to see if lubricating the pump and such might help. I only add water, not a cleaner solution. The thing about the cleaner solution is it sprays up onto the roof, and don't like that stuff getting on the paint. May add some Johnson Baby Shampoo! I have heard about this trick before, worth a try I guess... I am sure my Granddaughter will not be mad at me for using some of her stuff! :-)
Old 06-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
One thing I did notice is the fluid will spray out sooner if the reservoir is at FULL capacity.
I had totally opposite experience, delay started once I filled the reservoir and disappeared when I used it for a while. Waiting for another fill up to test if it happens again.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Instructor

^^^
Low washer fluid popped up today, filled it up but this time no delay, everything works as supposed to. Glad no delay but confused why it happened last time .
Old 06-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Let us know please!! One thing I did notice is the fluid will spray out sooner if the reservoir is at FULL capacity. Also, I enlarged the VENT hole that is located in the middle of the plastic cap that goes on to seal up the well after you add water.. I was thinking of adding some SOAPY solution to see if lubricating the pump and such might help. I only add water, not a cleaner solution. The thing about the cleaner solution is it sprays up onto the roof, and don't like that stuff getting on the paint. May add some Johnson Baby Shampoo! I have heard about this trick before, worth a try I guess... I am sure my Granddaughter will not be mad at me for using some of her stuff! :-)
I found your enlarging the vent hole interesting so went out to take a look. After popping off the lid I noticed the strainer basket had a thin coat of what may have been dried wiper fluid build up in some areas (less than 1/4 of the strainer bottom). After cleaning it up with a toothbrush I then stuck one end of an unfolded jumbo paperclip thru the vent hole to make sure it was clear. Fired up the car and the wipers worked OK although, it's right on the cusp of being delayed. Not sure what to make of this. If you try the baby shampoo let us know how that worked.

Last edited by 1bythesea; 06-20-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Wanted to add there's another small hole in the lower left corner of the windshield symbol on the top of the cap. I ran the paperclip thru that also to be sure it's clear. Then I began wondering if things would work better without the strainer basket. No difference.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can the spray nozzles be adjusted? if i recall, some cars allow you to adjust it by sticking a ping or narrow paperclip in it to adjust the water coverage.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Question

Also, I enlarged the VENT hole that is located in the middle of the plastic cap that goes on to seal up the well after you add water..
Just curious - what's the idea behind enlarging the vent hole and how it should (in theory) eliminate the wiper delay ?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jchoi5
2016 MDX Tech - Sometimes when I pull into reverse, then put it into drive quickly, the rear view camera still shows on the display screen even when the transmission is on drive.

It happens when I first turn on the car sometimes and takes like 2-3 seconds to go back to the regular.

Not going crazy about it but I figure there's a bug or delay somewhere.
I had the same thing happen to our 2015 Base once, and it has never happened again. I was backing out of a parking space, through it into drive pretty quick and the screen did not change.

After driving a bit and it not changing, I pulled over and turned off/re-started and it finally reset.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Back to wiper fluid delay. After the wiper motor was replaced a while back, the fluid delay returned after one week then went away after a few days. It was operating normally until right before Christmas. Enough is enough. Back it went Monday. The technician mentioned he had one on the lot which did the same thing. Replacing the pump seemed to solve the problem. So the part has been ordered and should be installed the first part of next week. Hopefully, this cures the problem. I'd hate to go through another scratch buff out or worse a total windshield replacement.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:42 PM
Racer

Interesting

Back to wiper fluid delay. After the wiper motor was replaced a while back, the fluid delay returned after one week then went away after a few days. It was operating normally until right before Christmas. Enough is enough. Back it went Monday. The technician mentioned he had one on the lot which did the same thing. Replacing the pump seemed to solve the problem. So the part has been ordered and should be installed the first part of next week. Hopefully, this cures the problem. I'd hate to go through another scratch buff out or worse a total windshield replacement.
Thanks for the update, mine still does the same thing, dealer did not do anything other then say to keep the resolver full,, I will be taking it in for an oil change soon, so this time I will leave it till it gets fixed.. Let us know if the PUMP fixes it!!
Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Wiper fluid delay: Evidently, the first time in the pump was replaced and today the motor was replaced. So far it's working but only time will tell. As of the end of last week the rear window will dispense fluid but no wiper action at all when you want to clean the rear window. Interestingly, the back window wiping will work appropriately if the front wipers have just been used. If it sits 5 minutes or if the front wiper with fluid hasn't been used then it just squirts fluid while the back wiper sits idle. On both front and back it's always the initial action where there's a problem. Consecutive tries are as they should be. Let both sit 5 minutes and it's back to the first attempt not functioning properly. Am really wondering if there is some glitch in the computer system.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Back to the wiper issue...The MDX is in...for the third time. Have a loaner for tonight and it will be checked tomorrow. The right wiper dispenser will dribble fluid on the lower 2" of the windshield until the wiper is fully extended upward then finally dispenses a normal spray. The rear will dispense fluid but won't wipe. The pump and motor have both been replaced. I'm leaning computer but who knows. Any ideas what may be going on???
Old 04-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Racer

Sort of the same

Back to the wiper issue...The MDX is in...for the third time. Have a loaner for tonight and it will be checked tomorrow. The right wiper dispenser will dribble fluid on the lower 2" of the windshield until the wiper is fully extended upward then finally dispenses a normal spray. The rear will dispense fluid but won't wipe. The pump and motor have both been replaced. I'm leaning computer but who knows. Any ideas what may be going on???
My issue with the rear wiper is the DELAY before the fluid is sprayed out. Been in twice,, They took me out to the lot to check out a new 2016 MDX. Same Delay.. However when my car was new, the fluid came out instantly.. Being in Southern Ca. the rear window does not get that dirty so I just gave up on it... The front sprayer is OK.. You can turn the rear washer knob in short burst. That keeps the rear wiper from turning on. After 3-4 short burst, water will begin to flow. Then I turn it for 1 full second and the rear wiper comes on with water on the glass.. Let us know what they find with yours, I think the issue is more widespread but some folks may think it is normal for it to delay water???
Old 04-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Got the MDX back yesterday from the dealer. Evidently, they needed to call CA and speak with the higher ups. I was taken back into the garage and shown another 2015 MDX with the same characteristic on the front wiper. I knew exactly what was coming, "it's an inherent characteristic of the 2015s." My argument was how many other 15 customers have complained. Ans "No one". If out of all the other 15s sold and no has complained how then, can it be an inherent characteristic? And why did it operate normally the first few months of ownership? Crickets. Honestly, I can't fault the dealer. They really have wonderful service. They've already replaced the pump and motor. Their hands are tied by Acura corporate where the blame squarely belongs, at this point. In the meantime, I have figured out a work around. Pump the stalk quickly 3 times and hold. Then the fluid dispenses onto the windshield prior to wiping. This should never have to be done to get proper function. Seems to me the fluid is draining from the line, as if there's no suction holding the fluid in place, after it's been allowed to sit a few minutes. As far as the back wiper, turn and hold the stalk for a full second and both fluid and wiper will work. That I can live with. The front...not so much. Interesting, none of these "quirks" were on the 2017 RDX loaner I had for two days nor on any other Acura I've owned. Very, very disappointing. If anyone has a reasonable solution to this problem I'd love to hear it.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Racer

Defective

Got the MDX back yesterday from the dealer. Evidently, they needed to call CA and speak with the higher ups. I was taken back into the garage and shown another 2015 MDX with the same characteristic on the front wiper. I knew exactly what was coming, "it's an inherent characteristic of the 2015s." My argument was how many other 15 customers have complained. Ans "No one". If out of all the other 15s sold and no has complained how then, can it be an inherent characteristic? And why did it operate normally the first few months of ownership? Crickets. Honestly, I can't fault the dealer. They really have wonderful service. They've already replaced the pump and motor. Their hands are tied by Acura corporate where the blame squarely belongs, at this point. In the meantime, I have figured out a work around. Pump the stalk quickly 3 times and hold. Then the fluid dispenses onto the windshield prior to wiping. This should never have to be done to get proper function. Seems to me the fluid is draining from the line, as if there's no suction holding the fluid in place, after it's been allowed to sit a few minutes. As far as the back wiper, turn and hold the stalk for a full second and both fluid and wiper will work. That I can live with. The front...not so much. Interesting, none of these "quirks" were on the 2017 RDX loaner I had for two days nor on any other Acura I've owned. Very, very disappointing. If anyone has a reasonable solution to this problem I'd love to hear it.
Mine did the same thing, and after twice to the dealer, I basically gave up as they took me out and showed me a 2016 and it did the same thing. I think the rear pump is on the passenger side by the rear seat, I can hear it priming.. Like you, I just short pump the rear 2 or 3 times and the water flows out.. I also had a 2016 RDX Loaner, and it was fine!
Old 03-01-2018, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MDX Oil Consumption

Any comments on 2015 MDX oil consumption? Its been changed at 7K miles, now 21K, hence every 12 months. Mechanic says only 4 quarts or black oil comes out during oil change, and something is definitely wrong for this vehicle? Shouldn't be this black for new vehicle. I'd checked in between, and saw oil on dip stick, so was not concerned -- so it must have fallen at end of cycle. Using Mobil One 0-20wt.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by darad
Any comments on 2015 MDX oil consumption? Its been changed at 7K miles, now 21K, hence every 12 months. Mechanic says only 4 quarts or black oil comes out during oil change, and something is definitely wrong for this vehicle? Shouldn't be this black for new vehicle. I'd checked in between, and saw oil on dip stick, so was not concerned -- so it must have fallen at end of cycle. Using Mobil One 0-20wt.
Mobil 1 does tend to get a bit dark, in my experience. The color really is not a good indicator of oil life, however. Don't worry about it. 7k oil change intervals should be no problem for Mobil 1.

AFAIK, the 3.5L in the gen3 does not have any widespread oil consumption (unlike some of the gen2 3.7L engines). I would suggest paying careful attention to how much oil is put in during the next oil change. Then make note of the level on the dip stick. Monitor it regularly and see if that level goes down, and at what rate.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by darad
Colour of oil has no bearing on its protection/lubrication properties. I used to have a VW R32 and people used to complain about the oil at 10K mile changes. Someone sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs (https://www.blackstone-labs.com/) who conduct oil quality checks for anyone. It came back saying the oil was still in great shape and it had not even started to breakdown yet.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Dark doesn't bother me as long as the OCI is within the range. After all, back in the late 70's / early 80's I dabbled with Arco Graphite Motor Oil in my '79 Cutlass. That stuff was black right out of the can! :-)