My 2017 CPO MDX SH-AWD????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 07:00 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2017 CPO MDX SH-AWD????

I purchased my MDX 2 weeks ago. I've run into a few issues with this car from day one. The most major issue was that the front of the car would shimmy when pressing the brakes. I purchased this car with 15,300 miles on it... Figured what could be wrong with it, the car fax came back clean. I took it back to the dealer today to have them look at it.

Also told the dealer that the struts don't feel right. The dealer told me the struts are fine but I'm not buying it.

Here is the printed report. Does this look like something that was CPO'd?

I'm also aggravated because the sales guy told me I could display my cell phone on the screen. Now I find that it's not available on the 2017 model.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Needs a front brake job including rotors asap. Also the whole CPO process is a joke, they don't check half of the stuff that they have to. All they do it look at Carfax report to make sure it's clean. Smartphone (carplay) option was not available on 17 MY.

Last edited by VMDX; 08-27-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:17 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by VMDX
Needs a front brake job including rotors asap. Also the whole CPO process is a joke, they don't check half of the stuff that they have to. All they do it look at Carfax report to make sure it's clean. Smartphone (carplay) option was not available on 17 MY.

They cut the rotors and replaced the front pads. I'm under the impression that they toss the rotors these days and replace them. The car does drive much better now but isn't that something that should have been picked up with "CERTIFICATION"!!! ?
Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dcabarle
They cut the rotors and replaced the front pads. I'm under the impression that they toss the rotors these days and replace them. The car does drive much better now but isn't that something that should have been picked up with "CERTIFICATION"!!! ?
Yep, but like I said "CPO" process is a joke. Ask them for a copy of a full CPO report. Keep it for your records in case something else pops up which they "forgot" to checked.
The following users liked this post:
Logicwand (10-17-2020)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Since you pay a premium for CPO, you should get the benefits. If your car was not inspected fully, shame on the dealership. You should let corporate Acura know about it if you are not satisfied. Hopefully it only cost you time and aggravation! I have attached a couple of links to checklists. I am not sure how old these are, but here is what they should be checking. Which includes a road test where they should have uncovered what you identified.

https://www.cstatic-images.com/image...inspection.pdf

https://www.acura.com/content/pdf/CPO_150pt.pdf
Old 09-02-2018, 04:04 PM
10th Gear

It's under warranty so they should fix the front brakes. As for your struts, you're out of luck unless you want to hire someone else to vouch for their current state. Either way your car is covered to 62,000 miles. I agree, the CPO sheet with all the check marks preprinted is a joke. What would be nice is the actual worksheet detailing everything they did to the car to bring it to CPO standards. Good luck getting that.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:32 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
More importantly they sold you a feature you didn't get. I would ask for some sort of compensation for not having apple car play/ android auto.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by neo1738
More importantly they sold you a feature you didn't get. I would ask for some sort of compensation for not having apple car play/ android auto.
You are in bad shape and totally uninformed if you depend on a salesperson to explain features to you on a car you wish to purchase. We have discussed for a couple of years now about the slow intro to CarPlay on the Acura lineup. Your best bet is to do your homework before heading to a dealership.

Salespeople want to sale. With that said, it is two things I always keep in mind when car shopping, auto salespeople aren't always car smart, nor are they the most honest.
justnspace (09-12-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by neo1738
Unless you got it in-writing, it's worthless. I believe the legal term is "puffing".

Always remember "Buyer Beware". Test everything. Sales people sometimes like to rush the process... But you're in control, if you want to be. Test everything. Take a long test drive. Take multiple test drives. Drive during the day and then come back at night. If you care about a feature then USE the feature before you buy. I'll pair my phone, listen to music, make calls, adjust the seat and set memory positions... Ultimately it's the buyers responsibility to ensure they get what they want, and that the vehicle works for them.
justnspace (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Preprinted check marks for "OK" is just asking for things to be, not checked. Glad they resolved the brake issue for you. That should never have gotten through a moderate inspection.

I don't know how many cars you have owned or purchased from a dealer, but I have yet to run into a salesman that knows as much about a car I took the time to educate myself on before I walked in the door. I always manage to give them information or insight about the vehicle they didn't know. I had a guy show me a 2017 in Spring of 2018 and try and tell me it was an 2018. Unless I had known about and was looking for the updated infotainment system, I wouldn't have known any better until it came to the paperwork. The majority of salespeople aren't dishonest, they are just salespeople. They are trying to get you to buy their product so they can make money (commission), or make a sale for stats and recognition within their sales system. You could transfer most salespeople from one industry to another and with a couple of days of training, they would be up to speed and seeing as well as most in their new field. My buddy was a top sales guy at GFS (Wholesale food) for years, and moved to Toyota forklifts where he immediately became a top sales guy. And you couldn't find a guy that knows less about cars, industry, tools, or heavy equipment if you tried!

Last edited by NeoGeoH; 09-12-2018 at 08:19 AM.