MDX will face tough competition in 2018!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 12:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by MOkabe
So...I can't compare the three row RX450hL to my MDX Sport Hybrid...which I think would be the fairest comparison...but I can compare my family's 2017 RX450h F-Sport (traded a 2015 RX450h) to my 2017 MDX ADV Sport Hybrid (traded a 2015 MDX ADV/ENT). Both cars are pretty loaded and have their pros and cons...but in the end, I find the Acura to be a little more practical for everyday use.
  • Styling is subjective...but I actually really like the way the RX450h F-Sport looks. I'm not a huge fan of the floating roof...but overall I like the look. I did notice that the L-versions of the Lexus look much more like a minivan in the rear. One of my favorite things about the RX from the rear is that they hid the windshield wiper. But...on the L-versions it is in the same place as the MDX now.
  • As far as driving goes - If I could stand using a CVT for my personal car, I might seriously consider the RX. But I hate the CVT. I also feel like the Acura has done an amazing job at integrating the ICE with the electric motors. You can feel it kick in significantly more in the RX.
  • As far as features go - Lexus wins this one...of course the sticker was a little over $3k more...but I love the LED lights on the exterior door handles, the panoramic sunroof, the heads up display. Yes, the MDX has puddle lights...but it isn't the same. Ha. The other two features I can't get... I also love little touches in the Lexus...like there is no button to turn on the front map lights...you touch them (silly, I know.) The one place where I have consistently noticed the Acura does a better job is the stock sound system. I'm no audiophile, but I like the way the MDX sounds better...even with the Lexus Mark Levinson system. I also like the LKA in the Acura a lot more than the Lexus...I'm sure I need to do a little more research, but I haven't gotten it to work on the Lexus as I feel it should. The automatic braking in the Lexus works well to avoid hitting something...although I haven't tried it in the Acura. Ha!
  • As far as practicality goes - for me, Acura wins here. It is mostly just me in the car...I know...big car for one person...but I love my MDX. I had a 2003 Honda Pilot and this is my third MDX (but this is also my family's fourth RX). Anyway, simple things in the Acura make sense...like putting the heated steering wheel button ON the steering wheel. Or having a separate button for the the parking sensors (think of all the drive thru runs with the sensors going crazy...and in the Lexus you have to go through several menus to get to where to turn them on and off!) Or I love the way the remote start works on the Acura (no lights turn on, just the engine is running and getting the car to the right temp)...yes...I know you have to be fairly close to the car. In the Lexus, you use your phone and the Enform app, but the hazard lights flash several times, then the engine starts and the navigation screen lights up...then the part that makes no sense to me is that once I open the door, the entire engine shuts off. I do wish I had Apple Car Play...but buy a 2018 and problem solved!
These are just my observations... We bought the Lexus in May and the Acura in July. Both great cars. You can't go wrong in either...deciding on which is just a lot of personal preference.
Great comparison!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:08 PM
rcy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jzhu625
The quality of Lexus is way better than Acura, i'm going to jump ship as soon released the RX-L from my 2014 MDX Advance.
I had a 2006 RX 400h. Under the hybrid warranty and then my extended warranty I had the following replaced: I got rid of the vehicle at 180 000 KM

1. Inverter - $7000 CDN for the part alone. I think labour was around 10 hours. (120 000 KM)
2. Transmissoin $5000 for the part. Labour was about the same as the inverter, IIRC. (135 000 KM)

Power seat lumbar motor stopped working.
Headlight washers stopped working.
One rear wheel bearing was gone at 115 000 KM.

My 2006 MDX has 400 000 KM. The bluetooth module in the ceiling stopped working. No other problems (just regular maintenance on wearable parts). Still on original bearings and struts.

Good luck jumping ship.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rcy
I had a 2006 RX 400h. Under the hybrid warranty and then my extended warranty I had the following replaced: I got rid of the vehicle at 180 000 KM

1. Inverter - $7000 CDN for the part alone. I think labour was around 10 hours. (120 000 KM)
2. Transmissoin $5000 for the part. Labour was about the same as the inverter, IIRC. (135 000 KM)

Power seat lumbar motor stopped working.
Headlight washers stopped working.
One rear wheel bearing was gone at 115 000 KM.

My 2006 MDX has 400 000 KM. The bluetooth module in the ceiling stopped working. No other problems (just regular maintenance on wearable parts). Still on original bearings and struts.

Good luck jumping ship.
I think we are all creatures of habit. I know Lexus owners who would not be caught DEAD in an Acura, and vice versa. If you had a good experience, you stick with the brand/manufacturer, and if not you bail. My experience with Honda was not 100% smooth sailing since first used Accord purchase in 2006. The digital display went dead not long after I got it (known problem), but Honda replaced the display and all I had to pay was labor ($125). I ran that one up to 200,000 miles and sold it to my buddy, still running. Then got the 2011 Accord EX-L, off lease, decent price. Had to spend a little on that one, as the timing chain cover started leaking and it cost some, but it was paid off so whatever. Put new tires on it, it has 133,000 miles and my oldest son uses it as a college car, works like a charm. My wife's Odyssey became an "odyssey" later in life, but still no big complaints for ELEVEN years. The cylinder deactivation solenoid went on it at 95,000 (known issue), paid for that. Then one of the power door actuator motors went, had to get that done. Had a buddy who has BOTH go, now he drives a Highlander! No transmission or engine problems. Traded it in on a 2017 MDX. Drove the Pilot, Highlander, and RX350, wife like the MDX the best overall, so did I. I am trying a Hyundai for the first time ever, 2014 Azera LTD. Got a sweet deal because Hyundai resale still not like Honda/Toyota. So far, so good, put 12,000 miles on it with no issues. I drive a lot so we will see. More comfortable than the Accord on the highway, for sure. I still would like a luxury car some day before I die but I am not that old so still time I hope.