MDX vs new RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:10 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
MDX vs new RDX

As the title mentioned, has anyone cross shopped between these two vehicles. I agree that these are not the same class of vehicles (size wise or price wise) but given that the RDX is completely revamped with the new technology and design, has anyone given thought about that? Would like to hear your comments. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
As the title mentioned, has anyone cross shopped between these two vehicles. I agree that these are not the same class of vehicles (size wise or price wise) but given that the RDX is completely revamped with the new technology and design, has anyone given thought about that? Would like to hear your comments. Thanks.
I had a 2019 RDX as a loaner for 5 days. I would not trade my MDX for one. The size is definitely smaller, but it is serviceable assuming you only need two rows. The MDX still tops the RDX in comfort and luxury. The RDX lacks small details such as a power adjustable and memory steering wheel. The infotainment system looks nicer, but it's still quite buggy (check the RDX forums and you'll see some horror stories). The infotainment system is lacking even basic features such as viewing alternate routes. Crazy. The 10 speed transmission was awful -- at least in my loaner. I've started to wonder if I got a bad one, because my experience was the 10 speed shifts HARD. Like getting kicked in the back of the head HARD. EVERY SHIFT. The 9 speed in my MDX is quirky, but I greatly prefer it over the RDX transmission, based on my 5 day test drive. The engine in the RDX is impressive for a four-banger. But that's the problem: you have to qualify the statement with for a four-banger. It doesn't sound great, power delivery is a big laggy, and you get the constant feeling that the engine is really struggling/trying to make up for its lack of displacement. I strongly hope that Acura retains the 3.5L V6 in the new MDX. If they want to add a turbocharger then I'm cool with that... But please keep six cylinders! It's smoother, quieter, accelerates more predictably, and overall feels much more premium/luxury.

The RDX isn't a bad car. It's a great car. And when my wife wants to replace her QX30 I would definitely go test drive the RDX and give it serous consideration.

However, for me, the MDX still trumps the RDX in comfort, luxury, and driving feel.

That said, if Acura can retain the good characteristics of the MDX and add in the improvements from the RDX when they create the 4th gen MDX, then that is a vehicle I'm excited to see!
The following 2 users liked this post by p07r0457:
Fabvsix (10-05-2018), moose66 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm looking at both but decided to put off a purchase until next year. I like the new features in the RDX like the HUD, pano roof and 4G capability but want the size and some of the upgrades of the MDX to go with it. I was disappointed with a few things on the RDX like the performance of the ventilated seats. On the highest setting, I couldn't feel anything. The ceiling speakers either didn't work or they weren't loud enough to be audible when listening to SiriusXM in my tester. I'm really hoping Acura comes out with the 4th gen MDX next year as a 2020 model. I would expect it to include all the new features from the RDX plus maybe some extra goodies we've not seen in an Acura yet.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
I'm looking at both but decided to put off a purchase until next year. I like the new features in the RDX like the HUD, pano roof and 4G capability but want the size and some of the upgrades of the MDX to go with it. I was disappointed with a few things on the RDX like the performance of the ventilated seats. On the highest setting, I couldn't feel anything. The ceiling speakers either didn't work or they weren't loud enough to be audible when listening to SiriusXM in my tester. I'm really hoping Acura comes out with the 4th gen MDX next year as a 2020 model. I would expect it to include all the new features from the RDX plus maybe some extra goodies we've not seen in an Acura yet.
The next generation MDX will be amazing. Based on my knowledge, next year we will see the 2020 TLX in my opinion.
The new MDX might appear at the end of the year but it won’t be released until 2020. I might be wrong, but it feels like TLX is dating and they need to keep it alive.
2019 as 2020 Model TLX.
2020 as 2021 Model MDX
RLX and ILX not sure.
2020 introduction of CDX.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Cases could be made for both the TLX and MDX. The MDX got a facelift first in 2016 as a 2017 compared to the TLX in 2017 as a 2018 model. I'm hoping the MDX comes first. My 2005 TL is still doing good for me but I'm ready to move on to a SUV and don't want to wait until 2020 to upgrade.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I drove a 2013 RDX Tech, AWD for six years. No complaints about features, performance or cargo area. BUT, I am only 5' 10" and I always felt a little cramped. My 2017 SH-AWD, Tech is much more comfortable for me. And of course the features are latest and greatest, and the MDX interior is much more refined. I would not be interested in the RDX with a turbo 4. In fact, I had the 2013 RDX precisely because Acura went to the V6 in Gen 2. Now, they are back to a Turbo 4 in Gen 3.

Regards, Jim
Old 10-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The lease was up on my 16 TLX. I drove the new RDX and thought the ride was a bit harsh. It is sporty for sure. I then drove the 19 MDX. With the incentives on the MDX, the lease was about the same payment. The 19 MDX is much more refined than my 14 MDX (which I no longer own). I love the changes and enhancements. Now about 17 days into my lease and have no regrets.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Stu's2004TL
The lease was up on my 16 TLX. I drove the new RDX and thought the ride was a bit harsh. It is sporty for sure. I then drove the 19 MDX. With the incentives on the MDX, the lease was about the same payment. The 19 MDX is much more refined than my 14 MDX (which I no longer own). I love the changes and enhancements. Now about 17 days into my lease and have no regrets.
Thanks. That sums it up.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:14 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile MDX for sure IF you can handle the cost difference

This is a great topic for me personally. I owned 3 Gen 2 RDX's, a 2013, 2016, and a 2018. Loved them all. I currently have a '19 RDX A-Spec.....and, I've always wanted an MDX....mainly due to traveling comfort. I will buy the '19
MDX Advance in January. Crazy I know.

First, the 3.5 V6 has been awesome in all that I've owned...and I had that same basic engine in Honda Accords. The current turbo 4, 2.0 engine with the 10 speed was well done...for what it is. Mine is super quick...hardly any
lag, and if you've "played" around with different combos...like I have.....it IS very fast off the line. Just have it in "D"....don't need "S"....and push it hard off the stop light. It pulls hard and shifts so fast.....done to deny the turbo lag that
most of those engines have. It always amazes me when I do accelerate it like that.

The '19 RDX A-Spec rides rough. I don't know about the other versions. Didn't realize it so much when I test drove one. Overall...it is just harsh on certain road types. My Gen 2's were not like this. I'm not happy with that fact at all.
If you lower the tire press. a little to "help" the ride...when the temp drops in our now cold weather....the TPMS system goes crazy and stays on. I put more air back in...temps go down, system "alerts" and it takes it forever to reset
after airing the tires. My Gen 2's reset fairly quickly...and were NOT this sensitive to tire pressure changes. And I've set them at 32 psi, but, when the temps have dropped here....the readout says 29 and the Warning system activates. After driving they go back up, of course, but, the system won't reset until I play with the tire temps. WAY too sensitive.

The '19 MDX has added a few cool things...in the Advance model, which is what I'm getting. But, sitting in it and driving it...it's like "old home week"...meaning it reminds me of my Gen 2 RDX's. Only more room and the comfort level
is way better. It still has a CD player, hard disc drive memory....and a great ELS sound system. The RDX dropped the CD and HDD as you all know. So what if I still like CD's and HDD.....easier to load and store music for me.....
and I know of all the "new ways and stuff"...doesn't mean I have to like them.
The MDX is approx. 9.5" longer than the RDX...so my tight garage has to be "adjusted." My work bench at the front will have to be moved to allow the new MDX to fit. It is a little wider, but, that's not an issue, since I'm going to 1
vehicle when my wife retires at the end of the year. So, I can park it right in the middle of my 2 car garage. Nice when opening the doors too!!

The MDX is just quieter, more comfy, still handles great with the SH-Awd, and has plenty of power with it's 290 hp, 3.5 V6. It truly doesn't "feel" much bigger at all when wheeling it around town, vs the Gen 2 RDX's. I use them instead
of my Gen 3 since they had the 3.5 V6 with slightly less HP. And they are similar inside. The new MDX has real wood, and it's not glass smooth...but, slightly textured....as real wood can be. The 6 seat Advance version has
2 Captains seats with full console in the 2nd row....and that is so cool. Heated and separate temp controls for heat, air cond. IF you get the Ent. Package...then the 2nd row seating drops the Capt's seats.
I will fold the 3rd row, 2 seats, in to the floor where they will stay. Don't need it, and I will have a great cargo space to use.

So, yes, I will trade my '19 RDX for the '19 MDX. I know...crazy....I should have waited. Got caught up in all the excitement and hype of the "all new RDX." But, I'm excited and can't wait to get the MDX.
And yes....the V6 is much better....overall.....than any turbo 4. They do pretty darn good on fuel mileage too. Heck the current turbo 4 is not breaking any records at all.....my mileage is slightly less than my Gen 2 V6's. High HP
turbo 4's are not known for great fuel mileage. Low HP in those engines then the fuel mileage does get decent....but, you have a "dog" to drive...no power.

Thanks and I hope this helps those that are on the fence. YES....the MDX is much more $$....but, much less than it's competitors and you get a lot for the money. Residual value holds well at the 5 yr point too.
I've had the luck to be able to own all these and compare and know what they are like.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrJames

Just a little FYI. The HUD is really nice in a car BUT if you have polarized sunglasses it washes it out. I have an X3 with the HUD and when I have sunglasses on, I turn off the HUD.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
The MDX is a great vehicle that you will really enjoy. I also prefer the 6 cylinder over any 4 and hope the MDX will always offer that.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:52 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Pens Fan
The MDX is a great vehicle that you will really enjoy. I also prefer the 6 cylinder over any 4 and hope the MDX will always offer that.
Agreed. I test drove the RDX this morning, and while the engine is very punchy and sounded okay for a turbo 4, I very much prefer the smooth V6 in my TLX. Ideally, that new V6T that is coming out next year on the TLX Type-S will make its way as the standard engine on the next gen MDX.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Agreed. I test drove the RDX this morning, and while the engine is very punchy and sounded okay for a turbo 4, I very much prefer the smooth V6 in my TLX. Ideally, that new V6T that is coming out next year on the TLX Type-S will make its way as the standard engine on the next gen MDX.
I wonder if Acura plans to use the 3.0 liter from the MDX Hybrid
Old 10-18-2018, 05:42 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoua15
I wonder if Acura plans to use the 3.0 liter from the MDX Hybrid
Acura is slowly moving away from the naturally aspirated engines, so I don't think we will see that 3.0 or 3.5 V6 in any future products. The J series engine is long in the tooth and needs to be retired. I don't think Acura will can the Sport Hybrid on the MDX though. If anything, I could see the 3.0T being the standard engine, and then use either the 2.0T or 3.0T coupled with electric motors for the Sport Hybrid.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:55 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My wife is ready for a new vehicle and the RDX was at the top of the list until we started reading some of the complaints about the nav system; i.e. you can't zoom in and out on the map. She s alo not a fan of the big round dial in the middle of the dash/console, or the "Ipad glued onto the dashboard" nav screen.

It's a fantastic vehicle that just needs a little tweaking, and the perfect size for us. However, if the tweaking doesn't arrive by next Spring, we'll be getting an MDX. Our 2008 MDX was my wife's favorite vehicle of all time.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Acura is slowly moving away from the naturally aspirated engines, so I don't think we will see that 3.0 or 3.5 V6 in any future products. The J series engine is long in the tooth and needs to be retired. I don't think Acura will can the Sport Hybrid on the MDX though. If anything, I could see the 3.0T being the standard engine, and then use either the 2.0T or 3.0T coupled with electric motors for the Sport Hybrid.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Why retire something just because it has pedigree?

GM would like to have a word with you, concerning their small block -> LS engines. People said GM needed to abandon their "legacy" pushrod designs and yet they've found ways to update them for modern technologies like variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation, direct injection, auto stop/start, etc. It's still a competitive engine (and in my opinion, the one I'd buy in that segment).

What about Nissan? Their VQ V6 has been around even longer than the J-series. The 3.0L twin-turbo VR, which is an evolution of the VQ design, even made Wards list of "10 Best Engines" for 2018.

Similarly, the venerable Honda/Acura J-series has served well over the last decades. Honda/Acura have updated them to keep with the latest in technology, and the proven design continues to deliver power that is both competitive and reliable. I would much rather see Honda/Acura focus on improving their transmission technology and integrating more hybrid systems into their existing model range.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by p07r0457
I wholeheartedly disagree. Why retire something just because it has pedigree?

GM would like to have a word with you, concerning their small block -> LS engines. People said GM needed to abandon their "legacy" pushrod designs and yet they've found ways to update them for modern technologies like variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation, direct injection, auto stop/start, etc. It's still a competitive engine (and in my opinion, the one I'd buy in that segment).

What about Nissan? Their VQ V6 has been around even longer than the J-series. The 3.0L twin-turbo VR, which is an evolution of the VQ design, even made Wards list of "10 Best Engines" for 2018.

Similarly, the venerable Honda/Acura J-series has served well over the last decades. Honda/Acura have updated them to keep with the latest in technology, and the proven design continues to deliver power that is both competitive and reliable. I would much rather see Honda/Acura focus on improving their transmission technology and integrating more hybrid systems into their existing model range.
I think I'll go with ZipSpeed on this one.