MDX Sport Hybrid - no hitch but need a bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
MDX Sport Hybrid - no hitch but need a bike rack

I could use some recommendations on bike racks. Any thoughts? I need to transport 4 bikes.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I would think the best way to transport 4 bikes would be to install a hitch and use a receiver-mounted bike carrier.

Otherwise you could get one that attaches to the lift-gate/hatch -- although those scare me.

I don't think you'd comfortably fit more than 2 bikes on the roof... But if you didn't need to carry anyone in the 2nd/3rd rows you could probably fit another two bikes inside the SUV, for 4 total.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Seasucker or Saris Bones
Old 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

So since I can't install the tow hitch, all options for a bike rack with that attachment are a firm no. I don't want to install something on the roof as that will be tough to get the bikes up there and back down each time. Also the suction cup options are not confidence inspiring although likely ok, but I can't seem to find one that will fit what I am looking for. The traditional surface mount rack for sedans does not seem like that would work either unless I am missing something. Sounds like I am out of luck unless I can get a better recommendation.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
So since I can't install the tow hitch, all options for a bike rack with that attachment are a firm no. I don't want to install something on the roof as that will be tough to get the bikes up there and back down each time. Also the suction cup options are not confidence inspiring although likely ok, but I can't seem to find one that will fit what I am looking for. The traditional surface mount rack for sedans does not seem like that would work either unless I am missing something. Sounds like I am out of luck unless I can get a better recommendation.
Why "can't" you install the tow hitch? The Sport Hybrid is not rated to TOW... That doesn't mean you can't install the hitch for a bike rack!

They make carriers that can attach to your rear lift gate, without a hitch. I prefer a receiver-mount, but if you are completely against installing the hitch, then this would be the way to go, imo.

Thule Raceway PRO 2
Thule Archway 2
Thule Gateway 2

Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

I've carried 3 bikes on my Seasucker going 85 miles an hour on the freeway and they've all made it to their destination and back without issue..
Old 04-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I've carried 3 bikes on my Seasucker going 85 miles an hour on the freeway and they've all made it to their destination and back without issue..
If I saw someone carrying bikes on their vehicle with suction cups, I'd change lanes and try to pass them. If I couldn't, I'd leave the road for a few minutes because I would NOT want to be around them. It scares me the crap people do with their vehicles and they justify it because "it hasn't failed THEM... YET"
Old 04-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Ignorance is bliss

Carry on then gentlemen
Old 04-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Racer

Last edited by p07r0457; 04-24-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by p07r0457
If I saw someone carrying bikes on their vehicle with suction cups, I'd change lanes and try to pass them. If I couldn't, I'd leave the road for a few minutes because I would NOT want to be around them. It scares me the crap people do with their vehicles and they justify it because "it hasn't failed THEM... YET"

Old 04-24-2018, 01:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TacoBello
roll your eyes, if you want. I did a quick google search for the Seasucker and it's a mixed bag. Lots of people love it, but others have posted pictures of some pretty nasty damage/carnage to vehicles and bikes that occurred during a failure of their seasucker.

I don't care what risks YOU take... But it is disgusting how many people seem to forget that we share the roads, and your decisions put OTHERS at risk, too.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by p07r0457
Why "can't" you install the tow hitch? The Sport Hybrid is not rated to TOW... That doesn't mean you can't install the hitch for a bike rack!

They make carriers that can attach to your rear lift gate, without a hitch. I prefer a receiver-mount, but if you are completely against installing the hitch, then this would be the way to go, imo.

Thule Raceway PRO 2
Thule Archway 2
Thule Gateway 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNhatLxkRok
Wow! This is exactly what I was looking for! I called the dealer and they said that the tow hitch can't be installed on a MDX Sport Hybrid, even for bike racks.

This was very helpful! Thank you! Now I can do more research and select what I hope to be a good choice. Again thank you!
Old 05-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I also asked my Dealer about putting hitch on MDX Hybrid for Bike Rack (which I already own from previous vehicles)
They said you are not "supposed" to, but did not say definitively that you "cannot"
Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by getakey
I also asked my Dealer about putting hitch on MDX Hybrid for Bike Rack (which I already own from previous vehicles)
They said you are not "supposed" to, but did not say definitively that you "cannot"
I reached out to Acura asking the installation of hitch to my 18 Hybrid, and this is what I got:

"If none of the vehicle's components fail after this installation, the warranty will not be voided. If, for some reason your dealership finds that an improper installation caused damage to a certain component, only those said component could potentially have their warranties voided. For more technical guidance, we suggest speaking with your dealership's Service department. We hope this helps."
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

interesting
Old 05-31-2018, 12:57 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
I cycle a lot and have a 1-Up brand hitch rack on my MDX. I have thousands of miles of service with it. The 1-Up hitch rack is hands down the best bike rack in the world. It’s a little pricey but made in USA of machined aluminum and mounts / operates in seconds. The heavy-duty version with a 2-inch tongue is best for four bikes, or the super-duty. If I was planning to carry four, I’d spend the extra money for the super-duty.

I also have a Saris Bones. It is a very good product for what is is ... a trunk rack. It’s not a real option for regular frequent use, especially with more than one bike. I use it for relative short trips with only one bike on my RLX. It does the job but is a huge hassle compared to the 1-Up. It’s a back up to a back up only.

There are are some other good hitch racks as well, but in my experience Thule and Yakima are lesser products, since their plastic parts will eventually need replacing.

Last edited by Scott in AZ; 05-31-2018 at 01:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JSakaBuck (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
I also need a bike rack option for my MDX Hybrid. Without a hitch option, all the suggestions here have narrowed my choices down to the Saris Bones 2 or the Thule Raceway Pro 2. I only carry one bike, just once a year, every summer traveling to the Shore for vacation. Still deciding, but I appreciate the info on the Thule materials. I'm leaning towards the Saris Bones 2.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:00 PM
Instructor

It will take me a few days to get the MDX, the rack and a bike and me all in the same place but I’ll mount the super-deluxe version of the Saris Bones rack to my MDX with a bike and snap a few pics. Or of course you can check it out online. It’s a real rack and sounds like it would fit your needs. Also >> made in the USA.

A roof rack might also suit your needs but I’m no longer considering them. Ive been cycling a long time. I can’t bring myself to put bikes up on the roof rack anymore. I did this for two decades and have heard to many garage door horror stories. I had a few close calls myself including one near miss at a Bank of America ATM drive-though in Salisbury MD while in the arena for the Eagleman triathlon. I actually had to let air out of the bike tires and car tires to lower the ride enough to safely finish driving through the covered lane. You could not have passed a credit card between the saddle on my bike and the low ceiling of the drive through lane!
JSakaBuck (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:01 PM
Instructor

It will take me a few days to get the MDX, the rack and a bike and me all in the same place but I’ll mount the super-deluxe version of the Saris Bones rack to my MDX with a bike and snap a few pics. Or of course you can check it out online. It’s a real rack and sounds like it would fit your needs. Also >> made in the USA.

A roof rack might also suit your needs but I’m no longer considering them. Ive been cycling a long time. I can’t bring myself to put bikes up on the roof rack anymore. I did this for two decades and have heard too many garage door horror stories. I had a few close calls myself including one near miss at a Bank of America ATM drive-though in Salisbury MD while in the area for the Eagleman triathlon. I actually had to let air out of the bike tires and car tires to lower the ride enough to safely finish driving through the covered lane. You could not have passed a credit card between the saddle on my bike and the low ceiling of the drive through lane! But if you have roof rails a tray system can be effective, especially for lighter road bikes (versus mountain bikes). Do yourself a favor and slap a piece of duct tape over the garage door homelink transmitter every time you mount bikes on the roof as a reminder that the are up there when you get home from a long trip.

Last edited by Scott in AZ; 05-31-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortKarateGi
I reached out to Acura asking the installation of hitch to my 18 Hybrid, and this is what I got:

"If none of the vehicle's components fail after this installation, the warranty will not be voided. If, for some reason your dealership finds that an improper installation caused damage to a certain component, only those said component could potentially have their warranties voided. For more technical guidance, we suggest speaking with your dealership's Service department. We hope this helps."

Interesting too, because when I bought my 17' SH-AWD MDX Non Hybrid version...The dealer told me no towing due to the 9 speed transmission. Now were in 2018 I saw a non hybrid MDX in the show room with all the accessories installed. I'm sure nothing mechanically changed between the 2017 and 2018 Non Hybrid SH-AWD MDX's. I wonder if they'll complain if they see a hitch on my MDX once I have it on.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by coykiam
Interesting too, because when I bought my 17' SH-AWD MDX Non Hybrid version...The dealer told me no towing due to the 9 speed transmission. Now were in 2018 I saw a non hybrid MDX in the show room with all the accessories installed. I'm sure nothing mechanically changed between the 2017 and 2018 Non Hybrid SH-AWD MDX's. I wonder if they'll complain if they see a hitch on my MDX once I have it on.
Your dealer lied to you. The 2017 3.5L MDX is rated to tow.

FWD: 3,500 lbs max
AWD: 3,500 lbs max.
AWD w/Aux transmission cooler: 5,000 lbs max.

It's in your manual.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yup saw that on the manual too.....Now shopping around for the OEM Hitch. Best price I saw was online plus around $100 shipping.....
Old 04-02-2019, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Yall,

Dead thread I know, but I signed up to clarify some stuff regarding towing and bike racks.

The 2017 - present MDX hybrid has the same mounting locations for a class 3 hitch (5000lbs) as the non hybrid MDX. It also has the lower bumper cutout for the hitch to protrude through. When you go to your dealer, just have them order the hitch on it's own, and it can be installed. Be warned, if you do actually tow with it you'll void warranty and probably mess up some rather expensive drive line components.

Sorry for old thread revival, but the misinformation needs to stop.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Finally ready to purchase the hitch. Are the part numbers for 2017 MDX still the same, Sorry just want to confirm:

08L92-TZ5-2A0 - Hitch Receiver Kit
08L91-TZ5-200A - Tow Harness
Old 07-15-2019, 07:36 PM
Safety Car

I would think installing the hitch would void the warranty. How can you prove that you never towed
Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think installing the hitch would void the warranty. How can you prove that you never towed
Speculative, and totally false. I have a hybrid. I have a hitch on it, for mounting a cargo box. I get warranty service, just like anybody else. Two months ago the dual clutch tranny, which is the reason for the "no towing" warranty exclusion, needed special service per a service bulletin, for rough operation. No questions, no exclusions, no problem. There is nothing in the warranty that says that the owner is prohibited from mounting a hitch and using it for a cargo box or rack. The exclusion is about TOWING.
E.G.P. (05-01-2023)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

I think you have a nice Dealer. If you have a hitch, you can tow. OK, Speculation, but I do suspect most dealers would not honor the warranty
Old 07-16-2019, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check your local laws if you need lights on your dolly. If they are required, then you have to have wiring harness installed, a dead giveaway for towing.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

I think you have a nice Dealer. If you have a hitch, you can tow. OK, Speculation, but I do suspect most dealers would not honor the warranty
More speculation. I do not have a nice dealer. I have an authorized Acura dealer who, to the best of my knowledge, abides by Acura’s rules.

Your speculation is confusing to people who have an interest in using their hybrid to carry things like cargo boxes and bicycles. This is unhelpful. People need facts, not empty speculation. I cannot find a single word in my warranty documentation stating that a trailer hitch voids my warranty. Since installing my hitch I have had numerous warranty services claims with an authorized Acura dealer, and never has there been so much as a hint of a problem or a comment of any type. These are facts. Where are your facts?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

I have an interest in adding a hitch for a bike rack that I already own. My Dealer would not install a hitch - FACT
Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ShortKarateGi
Check your local laws if you need lights on your dolly. If they are required, then you have to have wiring harness installed, a dead giveaway for towing.
I have a wiring harness. I have never towed a thing, so it cannot possibly be a giveaway for towing. It is a dead giveaway that I am using a cargo box that has lights and needs power from the vehicle.

Anybody who tows with this vehicle is asking for trouble, as it will tear up the dual clutch tranny. *That* will be the dead giveaway and will certainly void the warranty on the transmission, and the owner will be on his/her own.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

I have an interest in adding a hitch for a bike rack that I already own. My Dealer would not install a hitch - FACT
Exactly right, the dealer will not install a hitch on the hybrid. This is Acura policy. The owner or a third party has to do the job. Wouldn’t it be crazy of Acura to install a hitch on a hybrid, only to have an uninformed owner tow something and have a problem and cite Acura as being complicit?

Acura does, however, make provision on the hybrid to install a factory hitch and a harness (more accurately, they do nothing remove or block what is there for non-hybrid models, and it would be simple for them to block the mounting points). More evidence that their concern is towing and not the use of hitch for non-towing jobs.

Again, where is the legal statement advising the owner that installing a hitch voids the warranty? The only thing that I see is notice that towing is not allowed. A hitch is not evidence of towing. It is evidence of a hitch. And can anybody produce evidence of a single instance of a dealer refusing to honor the warranty on a hybrid that has a hitch installed?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

And, BTW, you have a legitimate interest in having a hitch, for your bike rack. I suggest that you talk to your dealer and tell him that you want buy a hitch from him and install it yourself, and that you do not plan to tow, but rather will use it for a bike rack, and you are aware of nothing in any legal Acura warranty that prohibits such a use of a hitch. And if you get any pushback, ask the dealer to produce said documentation. I am guessing that this would ease your mind about warranty and allow you to do what you want with your bikes. Give it a shot. ;-)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 PM
Safety Car

Anybody who tows with this vehicle is asking for trouble, as it will tear up the dual clutch tranny. *That* will be the dead giveaway and will certainly void the warranty on the transmission, and the owner will be on his/her own.

so I install hitch for bike rack and my dual clutch tranny fails for non towing reasons. SOL?
Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts

so I install hitch for bike rack and my dual clutch tranny fails for non towing reasons. SOL?
Attaching a bike rack . . . .is that truly towing? By definition, you aren't pulling anything. My thought is it just adds extra load (weight) to the vehicle. How is that different from throwing a bike or two in the cargo area? I guess Honda/Acura could possible balk at someone who had a failed tranny with a bike rack attached. To me, they would have to prove somehow the bike rack created the tranny failure. Could they do that?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Safety Car

the point is that if you have a hitch and you have not towed, but the tranny fails. How are you going to prove that you have never towed
Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Cruisin'

the point is that if you have a hitch and you have not towed, but the tranny fails. How are you going to prove that you have never towed
In the world that I live in there is no problem. If my tranny goes casters-up I take it in and get it fixed under the warranty provisions. If there is a question about the hitch, I tell the dealer the truth - I put the hitch on in order to mount a cargo box, and I have never towed anything. Acura is a stand-up company from what I can tell. I have always been square with them and they have been square with me. If I weren’t 100% confident that this is how it would play out I would never have mounted the hitch because I am not about to void my warranty.

Prove that I didn’t do something? Hello, I am not under any obligation to prove a negative to anybody. There is a presumption of innocence in legal and business transactions in my world.

Obviously I have no idea how this would all play out in your world. We seem to live in different worlds. ;-)

Old 07-17-2019, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Given the experience that a lot of people have with Dealers, your world is probably pretty small
Old 07-18-2019, 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
^^What he said!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by BillK
Acura is a stand-up company from what I can tell.
Tell that to the folks with infotainment woes or those waiting for the promised android auto update or those with zf9 transmission issues or those with vibration issues. Acuras usually don’t have issues, but when they do in my experience the company is one of the worst when it comes to getting things warrantied and fixed.

This isn’t about people being paranoid or overly cautious; this is about very likely outcomes given past experiences dealing with Acura dealerships and the support (or lack thereof) of the company.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-18-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: MDX Sport Hybrid - no hitch but need a bike rack