MDX or RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
MDX or RDX

I have a 2014 and 17 RDX and the latters lease is coming up and I am torn between the 19 RDX and MDX Aspec models. I like all the new tech in the RDX, and extra features. That said I like the V6 and I may be in the minority here, but like the dual screens in the MDX. Not sure I like the 9 speed transmission as I have experienced in a TLX I had as a loaner. I would expect there will be good deals on the MDX and if I could get one for about the same cost, especially with lease rates, which may be possible, I may go with the MDX. The good thing is, in Canada, the MDX Aspec has a heated steering wheel which would have been a deal breaker for me. I will obviously drive them both, but does anyone have both and can comment?

I know this is an MDX forum, and there is a bias, but I am looking for any thoughts here.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
RDX has all the latest gadgets and gizmos, plus first year woos.
MDX is at the end of its life cycle so tried and true. MDX will be 6-7 passanger capable if thats necessary.
The ZF nine speed is no problem. There were a couple of software updates to fix early issues.
if your tall like me the RDX seemed kind of tight. Heck if I was going to look at RDX I would also look at Honda CRV.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I test drove both and went with the MDX. The RDX infotainment system froze up on our test drive and we had to pull over and restart the system! I went online later and there are entire threads about how buggy that system is. I think there have been 7 or 8 software patches out now.
If you have to go RDX, I'd recomment waiting until the 2020 model comes out. The 19's just didn't feel quite refined.

As far as the tranny on the MDX, My wife's 2017 AWD and my 2019 FWD both drive very smoothly.
The following users liked this post:
37tzee (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
I haven't drivin the new RDX but from the reviews its faster and more agile than the MDX in any form. It's Interior is new and flashy with the huge NSX dynamic knob and speaker setup. The MDX A-Spec is a gem and the exterior presence is bold and sporty. The 9 speed is do-able and real engine note is music to the ears. The only question is if you'll really use the extra space for the MDX? For myself I chose my 2018 MDX Hybrid not for it's looks but for the extra space (family) and driving dynamics. I can live with a decent interior but can't stand driving a car with no soul under the hood.

My vote is for the MDX A-Spec, in the future when the used parts are available I want to convert my Hybrid to a A-Spec
Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
I had a '15 RDX Tech, and now a '17 MDX Tech. Comparing that 2nd Gen RDX to the current gen MDX is apples and oranges in terms of refinement, features, and smoothness of driving. The big difference is obviously internal size and ability to haul things. If you don't mind something a bit bigger, the MDX is by far the winner. I have had some seat time in a '19 RDX (couple days as a loaner), and it's a nice vehicle, but sort of something different than the previous RDX and the current MDX. yes, it has the new tech wiz-bang features ("next gen Acura"). But it's much smaller feeling inside than even my '15 RDX (can't put my finger on exactly why), and I'm not a huge fan of the 4cyl turbo. It does drive nice, but it's not as smooth nor as consistent across speeds as the V6 is. Maybe I'm old school, but I prefer the V6 to the turbo.

Yes, the '19 MDX is near the end of it's current design, but it's tried and true and there are great deals out there. My local dealer has a deal that'll get you into a '19 MDX Tech for LESS money than a '19 RDX Tech (apples-to-apples deal). Just something to consider....
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I haven't driven either but I'm currently in the market and have been investigating both (on paper). I plan on going with a 2014-2015 MDX. Test drives may change my mind however. We'll see.

1. I'd rather have the 6-speed AT than the 9-speed. I've owned two other vehicles with the 6-speed and they've both been flawless. Whereas the 9-speed ZF has a less-than-stellar reputation to say the least.
2. I'd rather have a V6 than a turbo-4. IMO, a V6 is superior to a turbo-4 in both longevity as well as powerband. And Honda's J-series is over 20 years old and has been constantly perfected over the years. It was voted one of Car and Drivers 10 best engines. Having owned 3 vehicles with the Honda J, I'd go for it over just about anything else Honda puts out. The only reason turbo-4's are becoming popular is for fuel mileage purposes. There are a few other benefits such as lighter weight and potential MPG purposes but I don't care about weight in an SUV and truthfully, turbo-4's rarely get better mileage because people are punching the turbo all the time which negates the economy factor.
3. The RDX doesn't get much better mileage than the MDX, despite weighing about 1500 lbs. less.
4. I have kids so the MDX would come in handy.

That's just me.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Timely thread.

After literally months of back and forth between an MDX and an RDX, my wife and I pulled the trigger on an MDX. We've owned numerous Honda and Acura products over the years, the most recent Acura being a 2008 MDX subsequently replaced by a 2012 CR-V after a move to downtown Houston.

Having retired and moved back into a house with a real-sized garage, we were ready to get back into a "real" car - 1% problem!

Regarding the RDX:
  1. love the styling
  2. love the size
  3. infotainment system a big turnoff, especially the navigation system (non-scalable)
  4. the dash styling was questionable - hated the big Drive knob in dash, lack of cubby space, and Nav screen on top of dash
  5. forum reported problems a big turnoff
Regarding the MDX:
  1. similar to our 2008 MDX which was my wife's all-time favorite car (well, maybe after her 1980 RX-7 )
  2. better build quality
  3. prefer a non-turbo V6
  4. prefer low/old-tech infotainment system that does what she needs versus cutting-edge offering with teething problems

Last edited by 37tzee; 03-01-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 534 Likes on 262 Posts
Make sure to drive them back to back RDX is flashy inside but rides poor compared to the MDX. Fake pumped in noise is a tad too loud. Suspension seemed harsh and the transmission is jerky 2-3 shifts. MDX is much more refined. Not sure if you are planning to keep this car or just lease? People are reporting fuel dilution on the RDX as well and you know Honda will just cover up the issue. So far, they have released a software update to fix the problem. Seriously!!! Stay away from RDX if you are in for the long haul.
​​​
Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 171 Posts
If you have kids go for the MDX. If not go for the RDX A Spec. The redesign of the RDX looks impressive and have the latest technology.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Thanks all, I think if I can get an MDX for close to the same cost I will go with it. When I bought the 14 RDX Tech, I could have had an MDX Tech for the same cost, the deal breaker for me was a lack of push button start and touch entry, as I had this with my 10 TL-SH-AWD and could not go back to a key. I will drive them both and make my final decision.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Consider the size difference as it can sneak up on you after the fact. I currently have an RDX having downsized from a Toyota Highlander and I'm surprised at how often I find the smaller cargo space limiting. It's just me and my wife, no kids/dogs/etc., and still the RDX comes up short on cargo space more often than I expected.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:10 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile '19 RDX A-Spec to a '19 MDX Adv!!

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I have a 2014 and 17 RDX and the latters lease is coming up and I am torn between the 19 RDX and MDX Aspec models. I like all the new tech in the RDX, and extra features. That said I like the V6 and I may be in the minority here, but like the dual screens in the MDX. Not sure I like the 9 speed transmission as I have experienced in a TLX I had as a loaner. I would expect there will be good deals on the MDX and if I could get one for about the same cost, especially with lease rates, which may be possible, I may go with the MDX. The good thing is, in Canada, the MDX Aspec has a heated steering wheel which would have been a deal breaker for me. I will obviously drive them both, but does anyone have both and can comment?

I know this is an MDX forum, and there is a bias, but I am looking for any thoughts here.

Thanks.
I owned 3 RDX Gen 2's. Loved them all. Then I tried the '19 RDX A-Spec. It was a "no go" for me. Traded it for a '19 MDX Adv. And LOVE it. The 3.5 V6's are tried and true for Honda Motor Corp. Yes early on some growing
pains with it....but, I've owned many and no issues. The MDX is just a much better all around SUV. IF you can't afford the Adv...get the Tech Model. Just a great all around vehicle....and it has a top of the line AWD system that
Acura keeps perfecting. Yes, the MDX is approx. 9.5 inches longer, slightly wider, but, driving it just reminds me of my Gen 2 RDX's....only better. Quieter, more comfortable......and everything works and so familiar.
My wife and I are very happy we made the change. And, the MDX is THE one to have for long trips. You won't be sorry owning the new '19 MDX. Some minor improvements over the '18....biggest 2 are: re-programmed trans for
smooth stop light starts and in the Adv. version, the Comfort Mode now has the dampers that adjust to road conditions. For us, the 3rd row is not needed so it's folded down and now we have tons of cargo space. Love the 2nd row
Capt's seats with the full console. Very cool.

I drove the A-Spec version of the '19 MDX....tempting, but, the Advance had things I wanted and it didn't have. I made the right choice!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
37tzee (03-12-2019), Mreasy21 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Been down this road myself. Owned a 2001 MDX and a 2011 MDX. Downsized to an 2018 RDX. Thought I no longer needed the size of the MDX but I missed the driving dynamics of the SH-AWD in the MDX. So I traded in the RDX and went back to a 2019 MDX. The gas mileage is basically the same even though its a bigger SUV. Couple things that drove me nuts after awhile was the small fuel tank and the cargo area and the fuel range was barely 300 miles.