MDX prices paid and deals - Page 4 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

MDX prices paid and deals

Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 AM

Bobby, thanks for your post. It helped me make up my mind about buying or leasing.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:36 PM

Bobby, your post makes since. I'm wondering about something. In my case I have the cash to buy it right away; however, by doing it that way I'll lose the interest I'm making on the money. Example: for a $50,000 MDX I'll lose $50 a month in interest. In a 3 year period that amounts tp $1800.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

you were sent a private message. Did you see it?
Old 01-31-2019, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GrahamMDX View Post
Still in the 47.0 area OTD. Would like to get to mid 46s if not better. Hoping end of month will bring some improvement. Couple dealers in VA seem more willing to negotiate.
Graham,
You were sent a private message. You should take a look.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I am shopping for a 2019 MDX AWD w Tech package in the DC/MD/VA area. So far I have $47,200 out the door, including all TTL. I feel like I can do better and at least get into the 46's. Especially now that I have seen posts on this forum for OTD at 46 (that one seems exceptionally low). Anyone have recent purchase experience and what I can expect? Not the best month to be shopping, but the need is there. Thanks.
Graham,

I just spoke with one of my buddies at one of the top 5 dealers in the country because I'm thinking of buying an MDX or RL. I asked about a tech and he said they are not dropping below 44,800 plus tax and tags and said that number is at a loss that they will only do a limited number per month.

Doing the math that would work out to be approx. 47,500 with MD tax and tags, and that is after including the conquest incentive to switchover from another brand. So I'm really curious where you are finding this pricing, at least this month because if you are getting that I might try to do the same as you'll have beaten me already be over $300. I am told it was very doable late last year because there were some better incentives/ holdbacks, but right now if you've got someone will to do that deal you should jump on it.
I'm wondering are possibly talking a lease instead of a purchase?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by leighmc View Post
you were sent a private message. Did you see it?
I saw this one (Thank you for registering at AcuraZine.com) if there's another one it's not there.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

I didn't mean to PM you. But i don't see any financial logic to leasing unless you turn over cars a lot and some how get a really good write off. If you keep your cars 6, 7 years, I would buy. If you need a new car every 3 to 5 years, leasing MIGHT make sense. And are those dollar savings really going to get invested and net the interest difference? Interest rates hasn't been so good lately and it is still pretty cheap to borrow. 2 to 3% loans are not hard to find and sometimes 0% to 2 % is available from Acura.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Graham,

I just spoke with one of my buddies at one of the top 5 dealers in the country because I'm thinking of buying an MDX or RL. I asked about a tech and he said they are not dropping below 44,800 plus tax and tags and said that number is at a loss that they will only do a limited number per month.

Doing the math that would work out to be approx. 47,500 with MD tax and tags, and that is after including the conquest incentive to switchover from another brand. So I'm really curious where you are finding this pricing, at least this month because if you are getting that I might try to do the same as you'll have beaten me already be over $300. I am told it was very doable late last year because there were some better incentives/ holdbacks, but right now if you've got someone will to do that deal you should jump on it.
I'm wondering are possibly talking a lease instead of a purchase?
Prices in the DMV area seem to be the best in the nation. I think Pohanka is the number 1 dealer in the country. They seem to be able to offer prices in Maryland and Virginia that seem impossible to people outside the area but are relatively common in the area. They are probably getting huge volume incentives.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:02 PM

I didn't mean to PM you. But i don't see any financial logic to leasing unless you turn over cars a lot and some how get a really good write off. If you keep your cars 6, 7 years, I would buy. If you need a new car every 3 to 5 years, leasing MIGHT make sense. And are those dollar savings really going to get invested and net the interest difference? Interest rates hasn't been so good lately and it is still pretty cheap to borrow. 2 to 3% loans are not hard to find and sometimes 0% to 2 % is available from Acura.
Leighmc, I usually keep my vehicles 10 years. Three years ago I bought a new 2016 RAM 1500 4x4. When I was talking to the salesman he realized I wasn't going to buy by taking the cash out of my money market account and I wasn't going to pay any interest on a loan. He said he could get me a zero interest rate loan, I liked that idea and I got a good price on the RAM so I took it. My son is in need of a good truck so I'm selling my RAM to him, actually, I have no need for a pickup and I love the look of the MDX plus everything I've read about them sounds excellent; however, my thinking is the same today as it was three years ago. I'm not going to pay interest and I don't want to take the money out of my money market account where I'm getting a little 1.25%. What will take place is a mystery at this point.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Russinator View Post
Bobby, your post makes since. I'm wondering about something. In my case I have the cash to buy it right away; however, by doing it that way I'll lose the interest I'm making on the money. Example: for a $50,000 MDX I'll lose $50 a month in interest. In a 3 year period that amounts tp $1800.
I factored that into my analysis as well. In my analysis I took the money I would put down on a purchase but not a lease and put it into a 3 year CD. After adding this interest to the equation it was still basically a wash or maybe saved me 100-200 total. I personally preferred the flexibility with the purchase as I'm not locked into a 3 year lease.

But net/net there wasn't a meaningful savings by leasing so I just elected to purchase

I should clarify I didn't pay cash for the entire purchase, i financed 26k for 4 years at 2.75% and paid the rest in cash.

Last edited by bobby2478; 02-01-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Thanks Bobby

Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
I factored that into my analysis as well. In my analysis I took the money I would put down on a purchase but not a lease and put it into a 3 year CD. After adding this interest to the equation it was still basically a wash or maybe saved me 100-200 total. I personally preferred the flexibility with the purchase as I'm not locked into a 3 year lease.

But net/net there wasn't a meaningful savings by leasing so I just elected to purchase

I should clarify I didn't pay cash for the entire purchase, i financed 26k for 4 years at 2.75% and paid the rest in cash.
Thanks Bobby. I should have known you would have thought of that.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 PM

I have been in discussion with Pohanka and other dealers in the DMV area. They are definitely one of the few in my opinion that have been actively willing to negotiate. That being said, this time of year really does not seem like a great time to buy. Like I said, there is a need currently, but this is the first time I will ever be purchasing a vehicle when it was not end of model year (or later). The incentives are not as significant right now, and it seems like dealers are not as agressive and per a couple sales guys, they do not feel pressured to make deals that do not make sense.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:30 AM

I have been in discussion with Pohanka and other dealers in the DMV area. They are definitely one of the few in my opinion that have been actively willing to negotiate. That being said, this time of year really does not seem like a great time to buy. Like I said, there is a need currently, but this is the first time I will ever be purchasing a vehicle when it was not end of model year (or later). The incentives are not as significant right now, and it seems like dealers are not as agressive and per a couple sales guys, they do not feel pressured to make deals that do not make sense.
I'm also speaking with Pohanka on a 2019 SHAWD w/ tech. I emailed for a quote and was given these numbers:
Sales price - $46,995
Doc - $799
Tax - $1513.71
OTD - $49,307.71

You're saying you are getting $47.200 out the door? Asking because, the numbers I received above were the first thing Pohanka threw out based on an email request for a quote.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:35 AM
Randy is the Future

Negotiated a deal on a 19 MDX Tech, 513/ month 7500 miles per year first payment out of pocket. Payment includes all tax tag and fees and 5 last payments on current Acura(pull ahead takes care of 3). Seems like a pretty good deal. Believe they are selling me the MDX at 42445. I believe that is without the 1000 loyalty Honda gives.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

I've got family in the car business (other brands) and know the game pretty well. I don't know the details on what Graham found, but you might want to expand your search. There are a lot of major dealers within a few hours away, PA, NJ, and NYC some of which are some of the biggest in the country. Places like Trucar and Costco are pretty much retail pricing that a lot of people think is a great deal, so it works well for them. Usually Pohanka is really good, but those prices you mentioned suck.

Keep in mind these cars are commodities and you can have it serviced at any Acura dealer of your choosing. If you are not getting good pricing at one place, just buy from someone who is. But keep in mind, everyone is going to give you crappy numbers at first until you are ready to buy and like Graham said, they don't care too much to make sales right now. That is not true for everyone and I'll bet it heats up a lot more in a few months. The new model MDX will likely be released sometime this Summer (maybe July) so pricing will definitely get better on these as few are going to want a 19 when the 20's come out. If you are lazy, consider getting a broker. Even with their small commission, they will have no trouble beating the deal you are presenting.

Keep in mind also there are also other manufacturers dealing aggressively. The MDX is nice, but so is the RX350, the Nautilus,and some of the German competition is pretty nice too and some of them are dealing pretty aggressively. Detach the emotion, urgency, and work with multiple dealers and you'll ind a better deal. You just have to decide if a little effort is worth it to save 1 or 2K or more.

Keep in mind a lease is completely different than buying. Touting a OTD price on a lease vs. an OTD price on a purchase is too completely different things. Subsidies on leases are better because there is more money for the dealers/ manufacturers in leasing. Does it make sense for you? Whole other discussion. If you want to be in a new car every 3 or 4 years than you might want to consider it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leighmc For This Useful Post:
Nates NJTL (02-09-2019), pilozm (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:38 AM

I've got family in the car business (other brands) and know the game pretty well. I don't know the details on what Graham found, but you might want to expand your search. There are a lot of major dealers within a few hours away, PA, NJ, and NYC some of which are some of the biggest in the country. Places like Trucar and Costco are pretty much retail pricing that a lot of people think is a great deal, so it works well for them. Usually Pohanka is really good, but those prices you mentioned suck.

Keep in mind these cars are commodities and you can have it serviced at any Acura dealer of your choosing. If you are not getting good pricing at one place, just buy from someone who is. But keep in mind, everyone is going to give you crappy numbers at first until you are ready to buy and like Graham said, they don't care too much to make sales right now. That is not true for everyone and I'll bet it heats up a lot more in a few months. The new model MDX will likely be released sometime this Summer (maybe July) so pricing will definitely get better on these as few are going to want a 19 when the 20's come out. If you are lazy, consider getting a broker. Even with their small commission, they will have no trouble beating the deal you are presenting.

Keep in mind also there are also other manufacturers dealing aggressively. The MDX is nice, but so is the RX350, the Nautilus,and some of the German competition is pretty nice too and some of them are dealing pretty aggressively. Detach the emotion, urgency, and work with multiple dealers and you'll ind a better deal. You just have to decide if a little effort is worth it to save 1 or 2K or more.

Keep in mind a lease is completely different than buying. Touting a OTD price on a lease vs. an OTD price on a purchase is too completely different things. Subsidies on leases are better because there is more money for the dealers/ manufacturers in leasing. Does it make sense for you? Whole other discussion. If you want to be in a new car every 3 or 4 years than you might want to consider it.
Was your post in response to mine? Trying to make sure I follow.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Looks like MDX sales are on a steady decline...should be seeing great deals way below invoice.

Acura MDX US car sales figures
The Following User Says Thank You to skarface For This Useful Post:
pilozm (02-11-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

My Price on 2019 MDX FWD Advance

Jan 30th purchased the following:
2019 MDX Advance FWD Black/Black

Purchase Price was $51,000 before TTL and Loyalty bonus.
With the Loyalty incentive, final price was $50,000 plus TTL.
Included accessories in the aforementioned price:
Splash guards, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, and All Season floor mats, door edge film guard, and some kind of permaplate paint protection

This was a purchase not a lease and there was no trade-in.
Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to 714tman For This Useful Post:
pilozm (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

looking to purchase this also, I've been getting prices from $50 to $54... thinking about going with the SHAWD with the A-spec
Old 02-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone purchased a Tech or Advance package from an Orlando or Jacksonville dealer recently? About the best I saw at year's end in Jacksonville was 8% off of MSRP on a Tech. Because of the ridiculous "dealer fees" all the Jacksonville dealers collude on, I'll probably be buying the car in Orlando or Ocala.