MDX Paint Peeling off

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 AM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
MDX Paint Peeling off

I am curious if anyone on here owns a MDX, especially a 2015 in Tri-coat White (pearl color), and have noticed paint chips or paint peel on roof and other parts of car. Below is my story about my wifes MDX, and the reason I will not spend another dime with Acura, even though it pains me to say it.

I bought my wife a Tri-coat White 2015 Acura MDX. This was her 4th Acura, and 2nd MDX. Around 40k miles, we started noticing paint chips randomly throughout the car body. It was like everytime my wife washed the car, she would find new paint chips. The car has never been through an automatic car wash, never had pressure washer on it, never a brush. Only microfiber cloths. Needless to say, we reported it to Acura, and they tried to tell me it was because of road debris. I argued that it would be weird, for someone to drive everywhere in reverse, as a lot of the chips was on the rear hatch and bumper of the car. They finally had a local repair guy, use a touch up pen to hide the chips. So fast forward another year, and now, the roof paint is peeling, and I mean literally peeling off. There is a spot about 3x6 inches, where it is bare metal. So we take to another dealer, and he tells us he has seen this before, but only with the 2015 MDX in white. Said he had seen about 7 cases of this. Interestingly enough, my uncle has the same car, and sure enough, his roof is peeling also. There was one for sale down the road last month, and sure enough, its roof was peeling also.

Corporate Acura told me that they have never heard of this originally, and after many discussions, they said they woudl review the case, and came back with the decision, that they would pay 50% of the cost to repaint the roof, but only between the sunroof and front windshield. So basically, about a 4ft by 1 ft section. I told them that they had got to be kidding, but they were dead serious.

I figured it out, between my wife, uncle, mother, step mother, and motehr in law, we have purchased 7 new Acuras in the last 10 years, spending roughly $350k with Acura. I told the Corporate Acura lady, that I have never had one bad thing to say about Acura, in fact, if anyone asked, We would swear by them, that they are reasonable priced, extremely dependable, and overall a great car. This is the only complaint I have with them, but Corporate Acura needs to step up, and repair these vehicles due to their faulty paint.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wraypau:
HELEN NGUYEN (12-03-2019), Michael McGuire (01-16-2021), smerkel623 (01-19-2022)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:46 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
There's a known issue with Honda's white paint. Many complaints about it from Honda Odyssey, Pilot, and Accord owners.

Didn't know it also affected Acura's "best in class" paint too.

Do an internet search for something along the lines of "Honda white paint flaking peeling" and you'll see lots of owner complaints and pics

I at this one

Last edited by AZuser; 06-24-2019 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Michael McGuire (01-16-2021)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Old 06-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
You MDX should be covered by the ACURA according to the following link. Acura Service Bulletin 19-029
The following 3 users liked this post by rka4570:
Sfernandez (01-02-2020), Spicoli_In_GR (02-23-2020), Wraypau (06-24-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:18 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a letter from Acura today stating they'd increase the paint warranty on '14-'16 white diamond pearl cars to 8 years. Also, those who had paid to paint their own defective cars would be reimbursed. They had already paid 100% to repaint my roof about 4 months ago.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
everyone with a 2014 - 2016 MDX with diamond pearl white is covered. That said this sucks because it is near impossible to match the color as well as the factory.
Sfernandez (01-02-2020)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just joined this forum to tell my story. 14 months ago, Acura agreed to repaint the roof of my wife’s 2014 pearl white MDX. The local dealership sent it their certified paint and body shop for the repaint and charged us $100 copay because we were past the 4 year warranty. Last month we received the notice from Acura that they will now cover the paint for 8 years and reimburse any cost. I sent in a claim and waiting for a refund. Last week I notice the paint is peeling in the same place as before, between the windshield and the sunroof. My wife took the car back to the dealership and they said the claim is now with the paint shop. The paint shop said they have newer seen this happen before in the same place. They acknowledged that they have repainted 12 Acura’s in the last 14 months. They agreed to repaint the roof again and we have a life time warranty. I’m no expert on paint, but there must be something wrong with the paint.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 AM
Racer

where in California? I am taking mine to a shop in Auburn for some other damage, but that shop had 4 or 5 MDX in there for the top paint issue when I went to get a quote. They pull the windshield out and lots of other things to do that specific spot. Their reputation is really good so I am curious to know. I have pearl white also and am following this issue closely.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:33 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Paint is all in the prep and materials used.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

Peeling paint

Originally Posted by Wraypau
I am curious if anyone on here owns a MDX, especially a 2015 in Tri-coat White (pearl color), and have noticed paint chips or paint peel on roof and other parts of car. Below is my story about my wifes MDX, and the reason I will not spend another dime with Acura, even though it pains me to say it.

I bought my wife a Tri-coat White 2015 Acura MDX. This was her 4th Acura, and 2nd MDX. Around 40k miles, we started noticing paint chips randomly throughout the car body. It was like everytime my wife washed the car, she would find new paint chips. The car has never been through an automatic car wash, never had pressure washer on it, never a brush. Only microfiber cloths. Needless to say, we reported it to Acura, and they tried to tell me it was because of road debris. I argued that it would be weird, for someone to drive everywhere in reverse, as a lot of the chips was on the rear hatch and bumper of the car. They finally had a local repair guy, use a touch up pen to hide the chips. So fast forward another year, and now, the roof paint is peeling, and I mean literally peeling off. There is a spot about 3x6 inches, where it is bare metal. So we take to another dealer, and he tells us he has seen this before, but only with the 2015 MDX in white. Said he had seen about 7 cases of this. Interestingly enough, my uncle has the same car, and sure enough, his roof is peeling also. There was one for sale down the road last month, and sure enough, its roof was peeling also.

Corporate Acura told me that they have never heard of this originally, and after many discussions, they said they woudl review the case, and came back with the decision, that they would pay 50% of the cost to repaint the roof, but only between the sunroof and front windshield. So basically, about a 4ft by 1 ft section. I told them that they had got to be kidding, but they were dead serious.

I figured it out, between my wife, uncle, mother, step mother, and motehr in law, we have purchased 7 new Acuras in the last 10 years, spending roughly $350k with Acura. I told the Corporate Acura lady, that I have never had one bad thing to say about Acura, in fact, if anyone asked, We would swear by them, that they are reasonable priced, extremely dependable, and overall a great car. This is the only complaint I have with them, but Corporate Acura needs to step up, and repair these vehicles due to their faulty paint.

Have the same run around going on with Accura now with peeling white paint on my ‘14 RDX. Bought as a CPO 3 years ago. Bought the paint protection and other extended warranties. They’re offering me 50%. I call BS. Will be hunting down the president of Accura North America tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:05 PM
Racer

print this PDF, read it and take a copy to the dealer. http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-029.PDF
Old 12-03-2019, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I just noticed mine had the paint peeled off on the hood today. I went and did some research and came across your post. I called the local dealer in Tustin, California, they told me to bring it in. They took photos and arranged for my car to get it fix next week 12/09/2019.
kieu0527 (03-30-2022)
Old 12-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by HELEN NGUYEN
Hi, I just noticed mine had the paint peeled off on the hood today. I went and did some research and came across your post. I called the local dealer in Tustin, California, they told me to bring it in. They took photos and arranged for my car to get it fix next week 12/09/2019.
Just make sure to inspect the paint well when you get it back. DCH uses Caliber for a lot of their jobs and I've had to reject multiple attempts at Caliber (enough so one time that they had to buy me a new bumper due to the number of coats they put on the original to fix their original work. Also if they do indeed do a repaint, watch out for bubbles that may form down the line.). Our White Diamond Pearl isn't easy to match.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:55 PM
4th Gear

Me too, just washing my 2015 Acura MDX and this happened:

Old 10-14-2020, 05:45 PM
4th Gear

OK... so I just heard today that Acura will cover this paint damage under warranty.

See here: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-029.PDF

Old 01-16-2021, 11:51 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rka4570
You MDX should be covered by the ACURA according to the following link. Acura Service Bulletin 19-029
I have a white 2016 MDX, Acura is refusing to cover the hood peeling as the bulletin only covers the roof and bumper. Oh and by the way the roof peeled while it was under warranty and the covered that. I called the corporate office and the said no as well. Any ideas?
kieu0527 (03-30-2022)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:54 AM
5th Gear

tailgate and roof only, I guess the rest of car has different paint
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 AM
5th Gear

We’re you still under warranty?
Old 01-16-2021, 11:56 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Robert Lennie
OK... so I just heard today that Acura will cover this paint damage under warranty.

See here: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-029.PDF
only the tailgate and roof unless you know otherwise
Old 01-16-2021, 12:03 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pickettt
I got a letter from Acura today stating they'd increase the paint warranty on '14-'16 white diamond pearl cars to 8 years. Also, those who had paid to paint their own defective cars would be reimbursed. They had already paid 100% to repaint my roof about 4 months ago.
does it say the whole car because if so I’d love a copy of that letter
Old 01-21-2021, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

Well, in my case it was just the roof. I'm hoping the rest stays attached (at least until I sell the car)
Old 09-07-2021, 04:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just had this happen on my 2015 at 95k miles, paint peeling between the windshield and moon roof, will be submitting to the dealer at the next service.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Been a little while since this topic discussed. Acura did acknowledge paint defect and after several calls finally offered to repair. Now the dealiership wants the car for a week but they are not offering alternative transportation. Since this is a warranty coverage I expect Acura to provide a loaner vehicle. Any suggestions for next steps. Certainly not likely to buy an Acura again even though I do like my MDX.
Dpine (01-18-2023)
Old 01-25-2022, 10:52 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Even my TL had a small area about the size of a quarter peeling around the rear window. Luckily, I was able to tack the edges down with an OEM paint touch up pen.

I'd go ceramic coat on a white Acura or Honda if the paint is still good, imo. I might help protect it a little better.

I'm in management with an automatic wash company, and I see lots of white cars with peeling paint. Especially Toyota and GM. It really is just a problem with white paint in general.

It seems pearl white peels and gloss white becomes chalky.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:44 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 2018 MDX and the rear roof corner is peeling.

I chat to Acura hq and they said it’s under warranty but I need to bring to dealer.

I went by the dealer near by one “sale manager” said that’s normal wear, I told him that’s BS. Then I spoke to the general manager she said that’s covered under warranty but they need to get authorization from Acura hq and the authorized Acura body shop will fix it.

Marshelia1969 (09-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsUrUncle
Just had this happen on my 2015 at 95k miles, paint peeling between the windshield and moon roof, will be submitting to the dealer at the next service.
Update on my 2015 MDX @105k mi, Car is booked for repaint on 2/28 with Loaner provided by dealer. Dealer says 3-4 days on the repair/repaint.
NVAKeith (02-12-2023)
Old 03-01-2022, 11:23 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2016 MDX had the same paint issue between the moonroof and windshield. Received authorization a few days after bringing it in for a visual inspection. The affected area was repainted and picked it back up about one week later. Loaner was provided as well.
NVAKeith (02-12-2023)
Old 03-30-2022, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

Hi. did you get any solution? I am having the same situation!
Old 03-30-2022, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Michael McGuire
I have a white 2016 MDX, Acura is refusing to cover the hood peeling as the bulletin only covers the roof and bumper. Oh and by the way the roof peeled while it was under warranty and the covered that. I called the corporate office and the said no as well. Any ideas?
Michael- DId you get this fixed?
Old 04-15-2022, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

More paint problems

Originally Posted by Sierra93t
I just joined this forum to tell my story. 14 months ago, Acura agreed to repaint the roof of my wife’s 2014 pearl white MDX. The local dealership sent it their certified paint and body shop for the repaint and charged us $100 copay because we were past the 4 year warranty. Last month we received the notice from Acura that they will now cover the paint for 8 years and reimburse any cost. I sent in a claim and waiting for a refund. Last week I notice the paint is peeling in the same place as before, between the windshield and the sunroof. My wife took the car back to the dealership and they said the claim is now with the paint shop. The paint shop said they have newer seen this happen before in the same place. They acknowledged that they have repainted 12 Acura’s in the last 14 months. They agreed to repaint the roof again and we have a life time warranty. I’m no expert on paint, but there must be something wrong with the paint.
Update: Now my wife’s MDX is 8.5 years old. The rear hatch is pealing around the license plate and the left fender as it folds under the hood is starting. It’s not noticeable from the outside yet, but It’s just matter of time. Acura said it’s passed the 8 year warranty so they will not cover. No more Acura’s for me.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:55 PM
Racer

I would get rid of any Acura, Acura / Honda seems to look for every reason under the sun to not take care of their clients. Peeling paint is an issue whether it is year 1 or year 20. We aren't talking worn out paint. We are talking sheets coming off. It is a factory defect. I have a 2015 with 50,000 miles on it and it is garaged. Every time I wash it I wonder if this will be the time the whole top delaminates. I can't get parts it needs either. Been waiting a year to fix one problem because they say they can'r get the part - but they will "sell" me a new car. IMHO Acura is a crappy car. They aren't the company they were 20 years ago in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2016 MDX and recently had the paint start peeling off of my roof. We took the car to the dealer and when they scanned the VIN they stated that my car wasn't covered under the recall. The paint code, year, and location of the peeling are all exactly what is being recalled. We were told to call Acura headquarters and were again told that they would not cover it due to the VIN number not being part of the recall. I'm not sure what recourse we need to take, but we're extremely frustrated that Acura is refusing to take care of what is clearly defective paint. Any suggestions?

Old 12-13-2022, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Any other paint colors have the same issue or only the white? About to look into buying an Acura and white was my first choice…
Old 12-15-2022, 07:12 PM
Racer

be cautious. I have a white one and think about it all the time. The dealer told me yesterday when I was there for something else, about 20% of them seem to have the issue from what they have seen. Would you go in the water if there was a 20% chance of being bitten by a shark?
Old 02-11-2023, 05:10 PM
3rd Gear

Called Honda/Acura Customer care to report paint flaking from my 2016 MDX sh-awd tech and they said it is past the warranty extension. 19-029 I guess only covers for 4 years and it is too late for my vehicle.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fergy016
Called Honda/Acura Customer care to report paint flaking from my 2016 MDX sh-awd tech and they said it is past the warranty extension. 19-029 I guess only covers for 4 years and it is too late for my vehicle.
Maybe your VIN isn’t included in the warranty extension to eight years from date of first use? I can’t imagine your 2016 was on the road in February 2015…. http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-029.PDF

I’d get the refusal in writing so you can show it was reported within 8 years in case they expand the coverage to all 2016s. I wonder what the build date cutoff is for inclusion in the extension.
fergy016 (02-12-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear

My 2014 MDX paint peeling after 8 yr warranty

My 2014 MDX pearl white had the paint peeling by the sunroof in 2021. Acuras extended warranty hovered the repaint. 2 months later the rear hatch near the top started to peel. They took care of that too, except they only painted the small section, not the whole hatch. Now in 2023 the remaining hatch area peeled off and areas on both sides above the windows. Acura says tough luck, now outside warranty period.
I’ve been a loyal Acura since the early 90’s and even own a 2019 MDX along with the 2014.
I’m done with Acura and they dot care and I have decided to start posting on Facebook with pictures, etc. A $50,000 car should not have paint peeling off.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:29 PM
Racer

I was just looking at this thread again. I suspect that the paint issue is going to bite Acura in the butt if they don't take ownership of the problem a known factory defect for the life of the car. The reason is simple, they call themselves a premier brand. Who would buy Levis at $100 a pair if after 8 years your favorite pair and coat, that you wore once a year to a special date/event, came apart at all the seams.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin the wrench
I was just looking at this thread again. I suspect that the paint issue is going to bite Acura in the butt if they don't take ownership of the problem a known factory defect for the life of the car. The reason is simple, they call themselves a premier brand. Who would buy Levis at $100 a pair if after 8 years your favorite pair and coat, that you wore once a year to a special date/event, came apart at all the seams.
acuras and hondas notoriously have bad paint jobs. especially the ones built in the US for some reason. in an accord forum i posted on, everyone blamed epa regulations, the government and everything in the world, but tell me, why the hell does my 07 Lexus RX350 built in canada still have paint that looks like it came off the factory? not to mention countless of other brand vehicles that are built in the US that seem to have overcome this issue, or at least have it last longer than piss poor honda paint.

I've had countless 7th gen accords. they all look like beaters now with paint peeling and clear coat failure. my 08 Japan built TSX has faded but still okay paint.