MDX with infant

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
MDX with infant

Interested in getting a MDX due to a newborn. For current MDX owners, how's your user experience with having infants in MDX? Is the MDX overkill or just right because you have lots to carry, i.e. strollers, groceries etc?

My newborn is 3 months old.. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Is the baby your only child? I have a 2 month old infant and a 5 year old girl. I have the Tech Package SH-AWD.

So far, I don't have any complaints. It fits our needs fine. We have 2 strollers behind the 2nd row and still have plenty of space for other things. I was able to fit 1 front facing (behind the driver) and the rear facing (in the middle) car seats in the 2nd row, with that I can still access the 3rd just fine. 4 months ago, we went to Vegas with another couple and my 5 year old girl. We were able to fit all our stuff behind the 2nd row plus the stroller and a box of bottled water.

I assume your newborn is your first baby, you'll have plenty of space with the MDX. An RDX or a Lexus RX would still suit you just fine, but no 3rd row seats. You also have to consider if you would need the 3rd row seats for driving friends and relatives around town, when they visit. And also, if you have plans to have another child/children in the near future. For me, the 3rd row seats come in handy in those relative visits situation.

We could've gotten a smaller SUV, since we only have 2 children, but the amazing overall safety crash rating of the MDX and the 3rd row seats were the main reason why we went with the MDX.
The following users liked this post:
kareshi (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jimihaha
Is the baby your only child? I have a 2 month old infant and a 5 year old girl. I have the Tech Package SH-AWD.

So far, I don't have any complaints. It fits our needs fine. We have 2 strollers behind the 2nd row and still have plenty of space for other things. I was able to fit 1 front facing (behind the driver) and the rear facing (in the middle) car seats in the 2nd row, with that I can still access the 3rd just fine. 4 months ago, we went to Vegas with another couple and my 5 year old girl. We were able to fit all our stuff behind the 2nd row plus the stroller and a box of bottled water.

I assume your newborn is your first baby, you'll have plenty of space with the MDX. An RDX or a Lexus RX would still suit you just fine, but no 3rd row seats. You also have to consider if you would need the 3rd row seats for driving friends and relatives around town, when they visit. And also, if you have plans to have another child/children in the near future. For me, the 3rd row seats come in handy in those relative visits situation.

We could've gotten a smaller SUV, since we only have 2 children, but the amazing overall safety crash rating of the MDX and the 3rd row seats were the main reason why we went with the MDX.
Yes, this is my first one, so I basically am not sure what and how much stuff I will be bringing out. I guess this is a life experience. I too would think the RDX will fit fine. Just that I got a friend telling me they wish they have a van (they drive a 2013 Rogue) since there isn't enough cargo space for them to put strollers and groceries at the same time.

But in terms of room in 2nd room, the RDX indeed has more space than the MDX (2014). The MDX is roomier in terms of width though. I wonder if it means the RDX would fit car seat better than the MDX due to longer legroom in 2nd row.

2012 RDX
Headroom – front/rear 982/972 mm
Hip room – front/rear 1383/1347 mm
Legroom – front/rear 1062/954 mm
Shoulder room 1479/1430 mm

2014 RDX
Headroom – front/rear 983/969 mm
Hip room – front/rear 1415/1367 mm
Legroom – front/rear 1068/973 mm
Shoulder room 1490/1454 mm

2014 MDX
Headroom – 1st/2nd/3rd row 969/973/904 mm
Hip room – 1st/2nd/3rd row 1461/1468/1031 mm
Legroom – 1st/2nd/3rd row 1051/929/713 mm
Shoulder room – 1st/2nd/3rd row 1551/1502/1390 mm
Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kareshi
Yes, this is my first one, so I basically am not sure what and how much stuff I will be bringing out. I guess this is a life experience. I too would think the RDX will fit fine. Just that I got a friend telling me they wish they have a van (they drive a 2013 Rogue) since there isn't enough cargo space for them to put strollers and groceries at the same time.

But in terms of room in 2nd room, the RDX indeed has more space than the MDX (2014). The MDX is roomier in terms of width though. I wonder if it means the RDX would fit car seat better than the MDX due to longer legroom in 2nd row.

2012 RDX
Headroom – front/rear 982/972 mm
Hip room – front/rear 1383/1347 mm
Legroom – front/rear 1062/954 mm
Shoulder room 1479/1430 mm

2014 RDX
Headroom – front/rear 983/969 mm
Hip room – front/rear 1415/1367 mm
Legroom – front/rear 1068/973 mm
Shoulder room 1490/1454 mm

2014 MDX
Headroom – 1st/2nd/3rd row 969/973/904 mm
Hip room – 1st/2nd/3rd row 1461/1468/1031 mm
Legroom – 1st/2nd/3rd row 1051/929/713 mm
Shoulder room – 1st/2nd/3rd row 1551/1502/1390 mm
The 2nd row of the MDX can be adjusted forward and back. I find the 2nd row legroom of the MDX, with the seats all the way back (limo mode), really plenty (I'm 5'6"). I'm not sure if the 2nd row seats of the RDX can be adjusted but the 2nd gen MDX is fixed and cannot be adjusted.

If you are really concerned about cargo and passenger space, nothing will beat a minivan. But honestly, if you only have 1 child and no plans of adding another one in the near future, the RDX (or CRV) will be the most logical and practical choice for you.
The following users liked this post:
kareshi (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If you can't stomach a minivan, an mdx is a good option, though, the tradeoffs are obvious. The infinity Q is even more minivan'esque.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Racer

The 2nd row of the MDX can be adjusted forward and back. I find the 2nd row legroom of the MDX, with the seats all the way back (limo mode), really plenty (I'm 5'6"). I'm not sure if the 2nd row seats of the RDX can be adjusted but the 2nd gen MDX is fixed and cannot be adjusted.

If you are really concerned about cargo and passenger space, nothing will beat a minivan. But honestly, if you only have 1 child and no plans of adding another one in the near future, the RDX (or CRV) will be the most logical and practical choice for you.
The RDX cannot move. Yes, I end up buying the RDX. The MDX is nice and it's good that the seats can move. For now I don't think I will be able to use up the space in RDX. But I gotta see when I put strollers in and blah..

One thing I have concern about the MDX is the 3rd row easy access button. It slides forward automatically. I was wondering what if my child's car seat is there and the button is pressed accidentally?

I sat myself there. I pressed the button and the seat did not move. As soon as I lean myself forward, the back is still trying to fall down, which means it can become a child hazard.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Instructor

The RDX cannot move. Yes, I end up buying the RDX. The MDX is nice and it's good that the seats can move. For now I don't think I will be able to use up the space in RDX. But I gotta see when I put strollers in and blah..

One thing I have concern about the MDX is the 3rd row easy access button. It slides forward automatically. I was wondering what if my child's car seat is there and the button is pressed accidentally?

I sat myself there. I pressed the button and the seat did not move. As soon as I lean myself forward, the back is still trying to fall down, which means it can become a child hazard.
If the any of 2nd row seat has a car seat on them, the seats won't move forward if you press the access button. It is pretty secure and it won't move. I tried it to see if I can access the 3rd row with the car seat on the 2nd row (like the QX60).

Congratulations on your new RDX. I am thinking of getting the RDX too for my wife when I'm done paying for the MDX. Please give us a review of the RDX!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Racer

If the any of 2nd row seat has a car seat on them, the seats won't move forward if you press the access button. It is pretty secure and it won't move. I tried it to see if I can access the 3rd row with the car seat on the 2nd row (like the QX60).

Congratulations on your new RDX. I am thinking of getting the RDX too for my wife when I'm done paying for the MDX. Please give us a review of the RDX!
That's good to know that it won't move, but my concern is with the seatback. because you pressed the button, it's now in "falling mode" which will fall once you've removed the obstacles on the seat. It may be bad for a rear facing infant seat.

I will definitely post my RDX feedback in the 2G RDX forum.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimi, what car seats do you have? we recently had a second kid and I could not get the Reacro proride (front facing) to fit along side a Chicco keyfit 30 (rear facing) behind the driver seat and in the middle respectively. I ended up installing the rear facing Chicco in the middle and the Recaro behind the passenger seat. This however restricts access to the 3rd row seats.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NDizle
Jimi, what car seats do you have? we recently had a second kid and I could not get the Reacro proride (front facing) to fit along side a Chicco keyfit 30 (rear facing) behind the driver seat and in the middle respectively. I ended up installing the rear facing Chicco in the middle and the Recaro behind the passenger seat. This however restricts access to the 3rd row seats.
I have the Cosco Scenera (front facing) behind the driver and a Britax Companion (rear facing) in the middle. The Cosco Scenera is slim. We also have a Graco Nautilus (front facing) that is much wider but I find it really hard to make it fit together with the Britax.

Btw, if you were able to fit the Recaro behind the passenger seat and the Chicco in the middle, I'm pretty sure you can switch the Recaro behind the Driver seat... that way, you have the small part (behind the passenger) of the 2nd row vacant to access 3rd, just like my configuration...
Old 04-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Instructor

That's good to know that it won't move, but my concern is with the seatback. because you pressed the button, it's now in "falling mode" which will fall once you've removed the obstacles on the seat. It may be bad for a rear facing infant seat.

I will definitely post my RDX feedback in the 2G RDX forum.
You have a point. I will try that one of these days. But I'm pretty sure Acura thought of that and there's a fail safe in the system. Also, the buttons get deactivated once the car is in motion. If they thought of that, I think they also thought about your concern, but I maybe wrong though...
Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Racer

You have a point. I will try that one of these days. But I'm pretty sure Acura thought of that and there's a fail safe in the system. Also, the buttons get deactivated once the car is in motion. If they thought of that, I think they also thought about your concern, but I maybe wrong though...
It's good to know the buttons won't work when the car is moving. I only tried in the showroom.

Overall, I hope Acura can do something to their interior finishing. At this price, I expect the MDX with more luxurious feel. The plastic just feels like an Accord to me. I also personally don't prefer a wood trim, rather it's fake wood or genuine.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How have your seats held up with car seats? Do any of you use protectors?

We are expecting in March and it would be great to prevent any indents... although I imagine the indents probably depend on the car seat.

Thanks-
Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Yes, seat protectors are a necessity if you don't want to damage the seats. You can get a simple one for approx $20 at Toys r'us.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
If you don't need AWD I think a mini-van would suit your needs. They are very comfortable, spacious, particle, more affordable and possibly more fuel efficient. My 2012 Odyssey TE gets way better mpg than the 2011 MDX ADV I just got rid of.

A lot of people have this stigma about being seen in a mini-van. I was one of them. But since we got ours we have enjoyed the heck out of it. And it's not a bad looking car either in my opinion. It also has a lot more space than an SUV.

I say drive both and pick the one you like. One more thing I will say is that if you plan on having another child the SUV will seem to shrink as you load it up w a second car seat and a behemoth double stroller - lol. Anyway, GL.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:55 PM
very punny....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To start: 17 month son and 1 on the way.

We traded a '12 TL for the '14 MDX SHAWD Advance when we realized we'd be hauling grandparents and other relatives around more.

Pros:
1. Sliding rear seat is great to give more legroom, especially for my wife who sits in the back.
2. Window shades on the Advance model where a big plus for me (living in Texas)
3. Cargo space. We have the 3rd row down 95% of the time, so there's plenty of space going around town for a big stroller or the small one, or both. The thing I didn't realize was road trips. 1st kid and not knowing what to bring, you bring EVERYTHING. Pack and play, stroller, high chair, luggage. The rear was totally full the first few trips, plus stuff in the passenger seat. That alone is one of the reason's I'd go for an MDX size car vs a CRV or RDX.

Cons:
1. Seat protector is a must. O's, little food, milk gets everywhere (also on the door). So i guess the con is having a car you like and taking care of haha.
2. Having the entertainment package is so far useless.
3. Having the cargo tray in with the 3rd row down then having to re-fold it for the 3rd row is annoying.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
To me its overkill in the American way.

With our first kid, I got by in a Miata. DD for a year. Then moved up to a 2011 Mazdaspeed3 with 2 kids. Then a Lexus CT200h.

Now my "biggest" car with 2 kids, Acura TSX wagon.

Then again, I have a friend who bought a new Escalade after having one kid.

I have dual stroller (City Mini) with me at all times, and basically live in Costco.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Interested in getting a MDX due to a newborn. For current MDX owners, how's your user experience with having infants in MDX? Is the MDX overkill or just right because you have lots to carry, i.e. strollers, groceries etc?

My newborn is 3 months old.. Thanks!

We had our first baby in april 2014 , oddly the year before we bought an RDX before we knew we were pregnant.

It was 'ok' for space but as she grew so did the stuff, during weekend trips to family felt very very cramped ... Finally couldnt take it anymore and got the mdx

Night and day difference,
(We'll never ever use 3rd row) so it will be down indefinitely but trunk space, seating and ride quality is all improved, we can fit luggage and a city versa monster stroller in trunk plus some groceries.

Hidden compartments are all over in rear plus the center console cavern.

Like said above we have the seat protector and a britax clicktight advocate in rear seat center mounted and still seating comfortably for two
Definitely would pull the trigger & congrats!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Type X
We had our first baby in april 2014 , oddly the year before we bought an RDX before we knew we were pregnant.

It was 'ok' for space but as she grew so did the stuff, during weekend trips to family felt very very cramped ... Finally couldnt take it anymore and got the mdx

Night and day difference,
(We'll never ever use 3rd row) so it will be down indefinitely but trunk space, seating and ride quality is all improved, we can fit luggage and a city versa monster stroller in trunk plus some groceries.

Hidden compartments are all over in rear plus the center console cavern.

Like said above we have the seat protector and a britax clicktight advocate in rear seat center mounted and still seating comfortably for two
Definitely would pull the trigger & congrats!
this is good info. i pulled the trigger for rdx instead of mdx, and i don't have enough cargo space after putting in a stroller. the stroller would take up all the floor space in the cargo area, which is not ideal if you have anything that needs to be placed on a flat surface. and don't forget, for those with infants, you may want to bring your own booster seat and you will do grocery shopping.. so.. mdx if you can afford it
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thus far with a 3 year old and a 7 week old. Both are in Recaro seats and we have no fitment issues. We also essentially live at Costco (it's the cheapest place for whole milk and convenient for other household items). With the 3rd row down, we have space for a Recaro Performance Denali stroller with lots of room for everything else. The little corner pocket on the left side fits our day pack perfectly and the area where the spare tire would be fits a bug out bag perfectly as well.