Low Class Navi and Secondary Screen. They messed up!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Cool Low Class Navi and Secondary Screen. They messed up!!

I am in the market for a new SUV. Naturally i want the new MDX with tech but the screens suck. I have tried the settings but nothing. Even the rear cam sucks. Damn they messed it up.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
why are you always complaining!?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also wish the screens and rear cam were better, but were they enough of a concern to make me choose something else? No. I've only had it for a little while and haven't put nearly enough miles on mine, but so far, I've really liked what I've experienced. It's comfortable, handles fairly well, and has got pretty darn good power for a 4300 lbs vehicle!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 PM

NO to me it sucks.

The design is cool. The seats are easier to move. When it comes to the tech toys that I am use it. They all suck. The screens are lo quality because they have to be put on all trim levels. OK makes sense but how about charging more for better screens. The current wheel size and bolt pattern are not compatible with RJ wheels which is a killer for me since I have a set of 20" Legend II. The doors feel too hollow. When the stereo is turned all the way up I can hear the echos with in the doors. Kind of like a kia or old school Geo's. I don't like the pickup because it feels weak. The drop in weights can be felt while driving. I have the 2011 and it feels like more SUV than this one. More space cool but less man car.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Also, in an effort to minimise the hard buttons they put the heated seats on the secondary screen. Why? They should have stayed out for faster warming.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was also thinking the same thing. I noticed that NAV screen is not very crisp and almost blurry at times. Could this be adjusted through video adjustment? Also, the whole system lags a bit like it could have used a faster processor. Overall, great car and still would choose over others.
The following users liked this post:
ichi d (09-02-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by sbkim
I was also thinking the same thing. I noticed that NAV screen is not very crisp and almost blurry at times. Could this be adjusted through video adjustment? Also, the whole system lags a bit like it could have used a faster processor. Overall, great car and still would choose over others.
I noticed that too. It's not very visible in any sunlight.

I assume its HDD based but it does seem a little laggy.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Skytech
Also, in an effort to minimise the hard buttons they put the heated seats on the secondary screen. Why? They should have stayed out for faster warming.
Maybe they wanted to push people into the remote start accessory, which if I understand it correctly, also automatically turns on the seat heaters. (I'll find out when my Tech with remote start added on arrives . . . waiting . . .)

I experienced some pre-purchase trepidation with the elimination of buttons in favor of the touchscreen, but then decided it was just one of those things that we would all have to get used to in the next decade or so anyway.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about the advance in the US but in my Elite in Canada, there are knobs provided for climate for the driver and passenger seperately. No need to go to a secondary screen. First time owner of Acura. While I admire the outside of the 1st and 2nd generation, I took one look inside, saw the number of buttons and I was on my way to Nissan with their touchscreen. Took acura a long time to catch up on the technology but they did with the RLX and the MDX. Of course there are issues but overall the 3g is miles ahead of the previous models and to their competition.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I did not like it at first when I saw the RLX , but after getting the MDX , I got used to it and now I prefer the 2014 over my old 07.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:08 PM

The screen killed the car. The weak engine killed the car
ichi d (09-02-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 06:26 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
I am in the market for a new SUV. Naturally i want the new MDX with tech but the screens suck. I have tried the settings but nothing. Even the rear cam sucks. Damn they messed it up.
Don't worry, if you don't like the MDX, there are lot's of other choices out there.

There is nothing worse in life than to drive a vehicle everyday that you don't enjoy and/or you don't feel right in.
The following 3 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
Acura_Girl_Forever (02-24-2014), RL06tech (10-30-2013), TSXmeister (12-11-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
the navi looks outdated compare to other luxury brands. i wish they use Google Earth or some kind of 3D graphics. looks exactly like my wife's '09 TL's navi.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^There is a 3D mode on the 2014 MDX and RLX maps.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
As much as people think touch screens are 'cool' they have a lot of problems. My Ford Touch has probably been the most well known one with issues. I understand that in the next model year they will begin to bring back buttons for some often used controls. The Ford system has been the single greatest cause of reliability issues for Ford bringing down their rankings against their competitor. Infiniti delayed the release of the Q50 over software issues. They shipped thousands and wouldn't let them off the lot until they got a software update. You know they has to be remaining issues in their rush to get it out. The new Lincoln MKZ has remote start as standard, but you can't set the cooled seats to start with the remote start because the control is on the touch screen. What is the point of having remote start if you can use it to have comfy seats when you get in the car? Dumb Ford, dumb. I hope the new Acura controls work better.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the third MDX that I have owned (01, 11, 14). I think the 2014 is a much better than the 2011 in many ways (drive, cabin noise, mpg is outstanding, interior quality). The one main drawback to this model is the navi and secondary screen. Our old 11 may have had a lot of buttons, but the software never jammed up and was actually very responsive. The touchscreen and the buttons not that responsive. I hope there will be a software update. The navigation is completely irritating now that you can't control it if the car is driving (even is someone is in the passenger seat). I hope some techno geek will be able to break this. Overall, this is a great SUV and I think a huge improvement over the 2011 -- though I still love my 2001.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Gators95
Our old 11 may have had a lot of buttons, but the software never jammed up and was actually very responsive. The touchscreen and the buttons not that responsive. I hope there will be a software update.
When we previewed the RLX I noticed the same. There was/is a delay on the touch screen at times. Also, I'm not thrilled with the way the top screen 'jumps' when it refreshes when you scroll to the bottom of a page.

Given a choice, the old 'too many buttons' approach doesn't seem so bad at times. Of course, then we'd have to endure 5-6 more years of auto rags complaining about Acura buttons. I would add that my experience so far has been that 'old' customers are having a harder time adjusting than those new to the brand (and I put myself in this category).
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
When we previewed the RLX I noticed the same. There was/is a delay on the touch screen at times. Also, I'm not thrilled with the way the top screen 'jumps' when it refreshes when you scroll to the bottom of a page.

Given a choice, the old 'too many buttons' approach doesn't seem so bad at times. Of course, then we'd have to endure 5-6 more years of auto rags complaining about Acura buttons. I would add that my experience so far has been that 'old' customers are having a harder time adjusting than those new to the brand (and I put myself in this category).
i do agree with you. New people like me who had a touchscreen in my nissan love it in the acura.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 PM
2014 MDX, 2011 Audi B8 S4

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The screen killed the car. The weak engine killed the car
P L E A S E ! The screen didn't kill the car My 2014 will smoke your Gen 2 and get better gas mileage!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 09-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I really wish Acura had not succumbed to all the dumb-a$$ auto journalists who complained about "too many buttons." With my TL I can instantly find what I want and execute a command, usually without really looking hard at the dash.

Every new touch-screen car I've driven is a PITA, and require having to scroll through menus to do simple things like adjust radio volume, temp, etc., all while having to take my eyes off the road to stare at the screen to make sure I'm in the correct menu, etc.

Just because it makes sense for a home computer or tablet does not mean it makes sense for driving down the freeway at 75 mph.

Rant over.
The following 4 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
ostrich (11-06-2013), Rocket_man (09-07-2013), Vegas_TL04 (09-18-2013), weather (10-19-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 AM
2G TLX-S

Touch screen is also not my favorite choice of input mechanism.

More buttons, that operate critical functions, would have been perfect.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I agree with the OP. The 2014 backup camera screen is bad. The picture quality much worse compared to the TL Tech.

The engine is fine with me though. Smooth, quick enough and 28 mpg highway. What else can you ask for?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I use an IPhone and an IPad but to use them to control a car at 70MPH on a crowded freeway is ludicrous. Now bear in mind that car touchscreens have a worse response, they are not in your lap and the car is going over bumps then you can see why buttons will make a return. I know the Gen 2 buttons can be intimidating but if you drive it everyday then it's no problem and I defy anyone to control features faster and more reliably with a touchscreen than with discreet buttons.
The following 3 users liked this post by db22:
JM2010 SH-AWD (09-05-2013), Rocket_man (09-07-2013), Vegas_TL04 (09-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the gen 2 mdx had too many buttons. Also, the gen 2 MDX was a very nice design as was the gen1 MDX but as with all things we have to move on to the new. It always seems that when a new design is presented there are always a group of people who seem to resist the change. But as with all things, there will be a gen 4 mdx and some people will say the gen 3 was superior to it. I do remember when the gen 2 MDX first came out. The same thing happened. Some people were complaining about it's style saying it was more like a minivan and people were also complaining that there is a knob instead of a touch screen like the gen 1. Now no one even brings up the gen 1 MDX for comparison.. See!! Just a thought..

2014Acura MDX Advanced\Entertainment Pkg.
WhiteDiamond Pearl\Eucalyptus
FogLights
AdvanceRunning Boards
MoonroofVisor
BodySide Moldings
MudFlaps
RoofRail Crossbars
Towpackage
SpareTire Kit
WheelLocks
AllWeather Floor Mats
CargoCover
FoldingCargo Tray
Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=AdvanceMDX;14712903] and people were also complaining that there is a knob instead of a touch screen like the gen 1. Now no one even brings up the gen 1 MDX for comparison.. See!! QUOTE]

The gen 1 touch screen, although a POS, was terrible with its little joystick but the Gen 3 is worse. Unless the touchscreen is mounted on the steering wheel it will always be in an inconvenient location. Try operating your IPad with your arm outstretched to the right while looking forwards. Of course, there are some people that do not feel the need to look at the road, in fact, they even have to look at the passenger when they talk to them.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=db22;14713923]
Originally Posted by AdvanceMDX
and people were also complaining that there is a knob instead of a touch screen like the gen 1. Now no one even brings up the gen 1 MDX for comparison.. See!! QUOTE]

The gen 1 touch screen, although a POS, was terrible with its little joystick but the Gen 3 is worse. Unless the touchscreen is mounted on the steering wheel it will always be in an inconvenient location. Try operating your IPad with your arm outstretched to the right while looking forwards. Of course, there are some people that do not feel the need to look at the road, in fact, they even have to look at the passenger when they talk to them.
The joystick on the gen1 was not a good idea for sure but I never used it. The touchscreen in that car worked flawlessly. My wife or I drove all three generations of MDX (always top of line model) and the 3rd gen in my opinion is definitely the best. I don't have any issues with placement of the touchscreen. The system is technical and I guess it may not be for everyone but it is for people who like technology.

2014Acura MDX Advanced\Entertainment Pkg.
WhiteDiamond Pearl\Eucalyptus
FogLights
AdvanceRunning Boards
MoonroofVisor
BodySide Moldings
MudFlaps
RoofRail Crossbars
Towpackage
SpareTire Kit
WheelLocks
AllWeather Floor Mats
CargoCover
FoldingCargo Tray
Old 10-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=db22;14713923]
Originally Posted by AdvanceMDX
and people were also complaining that there is a knob instead of a touch screen like the gen 1. Now no one even brings up the gen 1 MDX for comparison.. See!! QUOTE]

Touchscreen on the steering wheel. I think that will be a major distraction. Compared to other touch screens, I think the mdx touch screen is very well placed. Now that I have used it for about 3 months, it is really a straightforward system to use. Acura definitely needs to work on some of the lag time between functions however it does work great when given a few seconds wait between operations.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=AdvanceMDX;14715819][QUOTE=db22;14713923]

I don't have any issues with placement of the touchscreen. The system is technical and I guess it may not be for everyone but it is for people who like technology.

QUOTE]

When you use your tablet at home or at work, do you hold it a foot to your right, at shoulder height an arms length away? OK it was a rhetorical question, I know the answer is no so why does Acura think that you would want to do that?

This system is NOT for people who like technology, in fact a GEN 1 IPad has higher technology than this car and it was designed years ago. My day to day life at home and at work is more technologically advanced in every way and to state that this car is for people who like technology is a fallacy. If you know technology then you will be disappointed in this car, it's only to the non-technology savvy would this car appeal to.

The BSM should have a series of LED's to indicate a cars distance starting with amber LED's to warn that it is unsafe to make a lane change to a red LED meaning that there is a car beside you.
The ACC should recognize that you are approaching a car and let off the gas not race up to it and brake hard. It is also too slow to recognize that the impeding car in front of you has moved out of your path so it then races off to reach its preset velocity.
Lane keep assist also operates like the system was a 10th grade school experiment. It could be much better.

I could suggest numerous enhancements to make this car "Advance" but the people who designed it, supposedly, do it for a living so why is the technology so backward?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 PM

I am a technology nut and this system was not designed properly! Heck...i've almost wrecked twice trying to change the temp or what ever on the screen! Navi Screen Sucks in resolution and the TOUCH PAD DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also when I put the heated seats on they "RESET" when I turn the vehicle off!!!! DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!! Any way to make them stay on so when you get back in the vehicle you don't have to go through the sequence of turning the heated seats back on! Good Lordy!!!! The more I use my MDX the more frustrated I become with this Touch Screen! Acura Tech Designers!!!

Last edited by GbosilTLS07; 10-29-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
I have clients who comment both ways...some having had the previous buttons and loving the new cleaner setup, and others intimidated by the touch screen. Real world use, it's not that much different and does look cleaner.
RL06tech (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 AM
2G TLX-S

I'm also scratching my head why the "fresh-air/recirculate" operation has to be a two step process : one touch to bring up the "fresh-air/recirculate" menu, and another touch to select the buttons.

Why not just treat the "fresh-air/recirculate" on-screen button as a real button, with every touch toggles the operating mode ?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I'm also scratching my head why the "fresh-air/recirculate" operation has to be a two step process : one touch to bring up the "fresh-air/recirculate" menu, and another touch to select the buttons.

Why not just treat the "fresh-air/recirculate" on-screen button as a real button, with every touch toggles the operating mode ?
My thoughts exactly. Same thing with heated seats, etc.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GbosilTLS07
I am a technology nut and this system was not designed properly! Heck...i've almost wrecked twice trying to change the temp or what ever on the screen! Navi Screen Sucks in resolution and the TOUCH PAD DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also when I put the heated seats on they "RESET" when I turn the vehicle off!!!! DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!! Any way to make them stay on so when you get back in the vehicle you don't have to go through the sequence of turning the heated seats back on! Good Lordy!!!! The more I use my MDX the more frustrated I become with this Touch Screen! Acura Tech Designers!!!
That's why it has SWITCHES for temperature right below the touch screen, if you have issues with using the touch screen for the seat heater put them in auto, then they will match the cabin temp! Presto you have a one touch switch for temps in both the cabin and the seats. Sometimes I wonder of many of the negative comments even own or have driven the car at all!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by RL06tech
That's why it has SWITCHES for temperature right below the touch screen, if you have issues with using the touch screen for the seat heater put them in auto, then they will match the cabin temp! Presto you have a one touch switch for temps in both the cabin and the seats. Sometimes I wonder of many of the negative comments even own or have driven the car at all!
Thanks. Yeah... I just posted up a pic of a random ficticious 2014 SH-AWD Crystal Blk Pearl Tech/Ent MDX in my driveway. And btw...I like to just waste my #$@!'in time here for nothin! What a @#%$ @## clown comment.

Last edited by GbosilTLS07; 10-30-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 PM
2G TLX-S

As for the heated seat function, it will be automatically turned off when the vehicle is turned off, even for the toggle switch type on most latest automobiles.

This is to prevent the heated seats from unintentionally left on continuously, since this will put heavy load unnecessarily on the alternator and the battery.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GbosilTLS07
Thanks. Yeah... I just posted up a pic of a random ficticious 2014 SH-AWD Crystal Blk Pearl Tech/Ent MDX in my driveway. And btw...I like to just waste my #$@!'in time here for nothin! What a @#%$ @## clown comment.
Yes. Be warned that ANYTIME you have a negative comment or ask a question that RL06tech doesn't like, you are immediately labeled a "troll" or a wannabe owner in his mind. Hell, I posted tons of pictures of my MDX and problems and he still insisted I was making it all up! #psycho
GbosilTLS07 (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
FYI the Tech does NOT have the AUTO function in regards to the seat temperature, nor does it have the cooling function.
GbosilTLS07 (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
Yes. Be warned that ANYTIME you have a negative comment or ask a question that RL06tech doesn't like, you are immediately labeled a "troll" or a wannabe owner in his mind. Hell, I posted tons of pictures of my MDX and problems and he still insisted I was making it all up! #psycho
There you go whining again. Picked mine up today. Zero defects no rattles best Acura Ive ever owned (out of 5) I think they just gave you the runt of the production that week just to have one unhappy customer to complain here incessantly.
BTW the reason the navy looks funny is so you can see it well even with polarized sunglasses, go into the settings adjust the dark level down, the contrast up and the brightness down and it looks luscious.

Quick Reply: Low Class Navi and Secondary Screen. They messed up!!