Interior Color Thoughts / Experiences

Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Interior Color Thoughts / Experiences

For those with a 3rd gen MDX what interior color did you go with and what are your thoughts? If you had to do it over again would you make the same choice or would you have gone in a different direction?

In general I'd be curious what your thoughts are about the different interior colors, for exterior color I'm trying to decide between White Diamond Pearl and Lunar Silver Metallic. I'm almost thinking if I went with the White exterior that ebony interior would look out of place which limits me to Parchment or Espresso and I'm not sure if I like Espresso.

If I went Lunar Silver then initially I was leaning towards Ebony but would be interested what others think of Greystone as well.

If you have parchment or Greystone have you ever had dye from blue jeans or color from your belt leave any stains or color transfer to the seats? If so how difficult is it to remove?

In general online it would appear regardless of whether interior is light or dark it won't matter in summer as all car interiors get extremely hot in the sun. Some people say the light colors get dirty easier and can stain while others say black leather will show wear/cracks/wrinkles more than a lighter color like parchment or Greystone.

I'm planning on having kids before too long so I expect if I went with light color seats I'd need to invest in the seat cover for the back seat. Also since requirement now is for rear facing seats until they are relatively older would mean they wouldn't always be kicking the back of the front seats.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I have a 2017 SH-AWD Advance with White Diamond Pearl and Parchment interior. I wanted Ebony interior, but the dealer didn't have it so I settled for Parchment.

I would not have accepted Parchment in a Base or Tech trim. The parchment in non-Advance trims (at least in 2017) was bland and boring. The Advance added contrasting piping and perforations and really improved the look, dramatically. I believe these changes are now included in the 2019 Tech, as well.

For my next purchase, I will NOT accept Parchment or Greystone. The problem is if you or your spouse wear Jeans (which my spouse does, almost exclusively) the Parchment and Greystone stain EASILY. It has become a weekly routine for me to scrub my seats down with a cloth and Mothers VLR to try to keep them looking nice.

I think the Espresso looks nice with the White Diamond Pearl, although I'm not sure how well it will remain "relevant" if you keep your vehicle 10 years. I believe brown is a color that comes in and out of style.

Personally, I will heavily favor a BLACK interior for my next vehicle.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
I went with Black Copper/Espresso. Love the look and I don't think I will see too many of them. What I don't like, is Acura does not allow you to pick the color combo you want. They only offer certain combos. For instance, I really like the Fanthom Blue with Espresso leather. Not an option they currently offer.

I don't have kids, so I have no preference when it comes to interior combos. I have the seacoast interior on my RLX and it looks good with the black. It is tough to keep clean. You even have to be careful with jeans. The dye does bleed requiring attention the leather on a regular basis.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I have a 2015 Red Pearl color with Parchment interior. I love it. I did not want black in the Florida sun.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Racer

What do people think about the combination of White Diamond Pearl exterior with Ebony (black) interior? Still think it looks OK or does anyone think the combination looks out of place?

In general I've always had black interior but think the parchment (especially the new wood trim color on 2019) looks nice on the 2019 Advance models and the 2 tone interior looks good. But I definitely fear permanent stains. Temporary ones that can easily be cleaned up isn't so much of a problem unless you literally need to clean it off the second you get out or if you leave it it will stain permanently. I wear jeans very often (almost exclusively on weekends/leisure, not for work) so if dark jeans will always rub off on the seats every time that would definitely get old on a brand new car where you'll notice it right away
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bobby2478
What do people think about the combination of White Diamond Pearl exterior with Ebony (black) interior? Still think it looks OK or does anyone think the combination looks out of place?

In general I've always had black interior but think the parchment (especially the new wood trim color on 2019) looks nice on the 2019 Advance models and the 2 tone interior looks good. But I definitely fear permanent stains. Temporary ones that can easily be cleaned up isn't so much of a problem unless you literally need to clean it off the second you get out or if you leave it it will stain permanently. I wear jeans very often (almost exclusively on weekends/leisure, not for work) so if dark jeans will always rub off on the seats every time that would definitely get old on a brand new car where you'll notice it right away
Stick with black interior.

White exterior and Black interior looks great, imo.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 228 Posts
Another vote for Ebony interior..it's best IMO. We have '17 Sport Hybrid Tech in White Diamond Pearl/Ebony...looks great. Espresso looks ok in the brochure but in real life, it's hideous. Very dull and lifeless. Graystone and Parchment gets dirty with kids, so wifey didn't want it.

Wish Acura offer black headliner too. I have it on my Lexus GS and I love it.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:37 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I just bought an 18 MDX Advance White Diamond Pearl with Ebony sport interior and love it.... I ALWAYS get Ebony interior as it holds up the best and yields the best re-sale value.... Could not be happier..... AND BTW my first ever white vehicle.... I ALWAYS get Black on Black...… nice change...
Old 10-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I drove a 2001 MDX with parchment interior for 12 years and never saw any jeans dye stain on the seats. ????

I think a black interior with the White Diamond looks great. That is what I intended to get with my 2017 SH-AWD, Tech, but when I saw the Expresso interior with the White Diamond it was no contest. Maybe the black interior I had with my Silver 2013 RDX had an effect.

Regards, Jim

Old 10-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
White Exterior + Ebony Interior is iconic. Love it It's probably going to be my go-to color for all cars moving forward.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:10 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
I have the white exterior/blk interior. The only other interior I would consider is the two options from the Aspec.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
We have a 18 tech/AWD, White/Ebony and love it. I think the white/black contrast works great. We wanted White/Espresso but the brown wasn't dark/chocolaty enough for our tastes. The white/ebony is a lot less prevalent than the white/parchment. We weren't quite ready to buy, but the night we stopped in for another look they were literally unloading a white/ebony tech/AWD off the truck, and we bought it right there. Many people like that parchment interior, we just do not.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
I went with eucalyptus, but don't think that's offered any more. In your situation (whether you go with white or silver exterior), ebony is probably the best interior choice. I'm a big fan of the look of the greystone, but if others say it stains easily then that could be a problem...
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I opted for a Hybrid White Diamond Pearl / Espresso and it looks great. Traded a 2014 Silver/Ebony. The Espresso is a rich looking brown and it doesn’t show the dust like the ebony (in the seams). Plus it doesn’t show the marks or stains like the parchment or gray. Have gotten many positive comments about the Espresso.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Originally Posted by Ray3
I opted for a Hybrid White Diamond Pearl / Espresso and it looks great. Traded a 2014 Silver/Ebony. The Espresso is a rich looking brown and it doesn’t show the dust like the ebony (in the seams). Plus it doesn’t show the marks or stains like the parchment or gray. Have gotten many positive comments about the Espresso.
My Ebony rides (04 RL, 07 MDX & 18 MDX) never have DUST/crumbs etc, build up in seams as I vacuum weekly as you should too ...…

Last edited by Fabvsix; 10-17-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have white ext with graystone (if that is the dark gray), pretty low maintenance and a nice change from black.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by knv8
I have white ext with graystone (if that is the dark gray), pretty low maintenance and a nice change from black.
what year is your MDX? I don't think you can get White/Greystone in 2018 or 2019.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by p07r0457
what year is your MDX? I don't think you can get White/Greystone in 2018 or 2019.
You are correct, this combo (white and Greystone) definitely wasn't available for 2017, 2018 or 2019 according to Acuras website (I've been playing around with "build" feature since last year)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
I have a 2017 with the Blue exterior and Gray interior. I've found the Gray is very easy to keep clean, and after a year the seat my wife uses regularly shows no signs of staining from her jeans. Compare this with the parchment interior in my '15 RDX Tech that I had to continually keep cleaning her seat due to the blue staining. I was a bit uncertain about the Gray interior when I got the MDX last year, but after this period I'm very happy with it.

andy
Old 10-18-2018, 12:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
White Exterior + Ebony Interior is iconic. Love it It's probably going to be my go-to color for all cars moving forward.
@thoiboi you’re not Asian per chance, are you?

what about white exterior, red interior?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Searched hi and low in California for a preowned/CPO white diamond with ebony and the only one I found was in Scarsdale NY. My SO likes white and the Scarsdale dealer had what I was searching for and they offered to CPO it. All Kali cars were 6-8000 more, so a red eye to White Plains and a 4 day drive back and now it has a home in the SF Bay Area. This area routinely is 110 in the summer time, but we tired of dealing with beige/parchment interiors. Go with the black, we say.
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mooneyn666gs
Searched hi and low in California for a preowned/CPO white diamond with ebony and the only one I found was in Scarsdale NY. My SO likes white and the Scarsdale dealer had what I was searching for and they offered to CPO it. All Kali cars were 6-8000 more, so a red eye to White Plains and a 4 day drive back and now it has a home in the SF Bay Area. This area routinely is 110 in the summer time, but we tired of dealing with beige/parchment interiors. Go with the black, we say.
Yikes, were you not concerned with all the salt used in NY?

I don't think I'd buy a used vehicle that spent any time there.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

P07r0457:
The car was used by the dealers general manager and it was meticulous maintained and never been given a title. It was placed in dealer service late in 2017. When I took delivery, it had just under 10,000 and not a mark on it. I guess time will tell on whether a New York winter will show up in body degradation or not. We are enjoying the ride right now
Old 10-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mooneyn666gs
P07r0457:
The car was used by the dealers general manager and it was meticulous maintained and never been given a title. It was placed in dealer service late in 2017. When I took delivery, it had just under 10,000 and not a mark on it. I guess time will tell on whether a New York winter will show up in body degradation or not. We are enjoying the ride right now
Lol, you think a GM "rental" is meticulously maintained? I'm sure they detailed it before they sold it to you... But as far as used cars go, loaners and dealer cars are as bad as any other "rental".

A salt-belt winter is definitely an issue. Once rust starts, it's nearly impossible to stop.

I honestly hope your MDX lasts for years, to come.
Personally, I wouldn't take that risk, however.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Even better

Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Even better
I'm not asian and I like the white/black look.

white/red, however, is disgusting.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm not asian and I like the white/black look.

white/red, however, is disgusting.

White/Black is awesome because of the contrast between the light and dark.. yin and yang.

I wouldn't want a full red interior, something like Black leather and red accents.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I'm just about 5 years in on my RLX and it is spot perfect with no rust and that is driving in the NY winter hell every year. I would not worry about that.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Hello Money! I live in Antioch ! We are the same age and have the same taste... sorry you had to haul to NY …. I got our 2018 (new) last month at Fremont dealership White Diamond Pearl with Ebony sports interior (Captain Chairs)….. got a good discount to make room for the 2019's ….
Old 10-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
You are correct, this combo (white and Greystone) definitely wasn't available for 2017, 2018 or 2019 according to Acuras website (I've been playing around with "build" feature since last year)
2015 Acura Mdx shawd with Tech
Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Lol, you think a GM "rental" is meticulously maintained? I'm sure they detailed it before they sold it to you... But as far as used cars go, loaners and dealer cars are as bad as any other "rental".

A salt-belt winter is definitely an issue. Once rust starts, it's nearly impossible to stop.

I honestly hope your MDX lasts for years, to come.
Personally, I wouldn't take that risk, however.
Long gone are the days when a salt belt car is a bad investment. The past several Acura’s I’ve had here in NH show zero sign of rust after 3 years. And my wife’s six year old TL is like new underneath. Cars are built with better materials since back in the day when you’d Ziebart a car right after it left the lot.....
Old 10-19-2018, 03:06 AM
Intermediate

RLX Sport Hybrid and Andysinnh:
good to know from someone who lives in real winters unlike our fake Kalifornia winters.

Fabvsix:
We need to be careful when going to Costco that we don’t try to get in each other’s car...lol

I had no reason to doubt what they said about who drove it at the dealership and how it was maintained. Not a scratch not a ding inside and out. The car fax matched what I was told and showed it was untitled. I didn’t have to fight them on CPO status. All the Kali DMV paper was done on their end...all I had to do was get it smogged and send them the paperwork. The only thing I requested was a spare tire set be installed. It was an interesting 4 day 2900 mile drive back. I am still learning the art of hybrid driving(at least when I get behind the wheel).

We are pleased with the white on black Advance package.
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (10-24-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Long gone are the days when a salt belt car is a bad investment. The past several Acura’s I’ve had here in NH show zero sign of rust after 3 years. And my wife’s six year old TL is like new underneath. Cars are built with better materials since back in the day when you’d Ziebart a car right after it left the lot.....
I still hear from people in NY that "new" vehicles don't make it past 10 years in NY.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Advanced

The rust thing is certainly not anywhere as bad as many of us grew up with. Our 2007 Odyssey had 226k on it, was driven almost every day in all seasons (included salted roads and freeways in Ohio, ski trips to upstate NY, etc...) and only showed one, quarter sized rust bubbled area behind the rear wheel where Honda puts a gob of caulk that tends to hold the water in there. Frankly the one thing the salt did affect was the bead of the aluminum wheels. Had to be cleaned a few times to ensure a good seal with the tires. Those wheels were on the car 365. Don't sweat it, it will be fine.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 AM
Advanced

I still hear from people in NY that "new" vehicles don't make it past 10 years in NY.
I'd want to know what car they have, how often are they cleaned, and if are they stored in a garage when not in use. I bet a Chevy Cruze that never gets washed and lives on an outdoor gravel driveway won't make it past 10yrs, no argument there.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NeoGeoH
I'd want to know what car they have, how often are they cleaned, and if are they stored in a garage when not in use. I bet a Chevy Cruze that never gets washed and lives on an outdoor gravel driveway won't make it past 10yrs, no argument there.
The info came from a mechanic who works in New York (near Ithaca). He sees a lot of vehicles and he says none of them last much past 10-12 years. It's funny because I came from the West coast and we'd regularly see 80-90's Hondas and Toyotas driving around. He says he rarely sees something earlier than a 2005.

But it's anecdotal. I have never lived in New York (only visited). So my experience with salt is extremely limited. I spent most of my life in the relative-car-paradise that is the West coast where we never worried about the stuff. Now that I'm in North Carolina I'm having to deal with it, a little bit, but not to the extent they do in rural New York.

All I can say is that, as a West-coaster, I would NEVER have accepted a vehicle that spent any time in a salt belt state. The stigma is that bad.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:35 PM
Racer

I grew up and have lived in MN my entire life (40 yrs) and as far as salt goes most times now the only place I see it is on any exposed metal on the underside of the vehicle.

If you've never had any body damage that breaks the primer seal on the paint then body rust isn't a problem on a well kept car.

Even if you happen to have a door ding or chip you are worried about all you need to do is use sandpaper and sand down to sheet metal, wipe off then apply touch up paint or nail polish.

My Fx35 is coming up on 10 years old, just rolled over 80k miles and no body rust whatsoever.

I don't see how NY would be any worse than MN for salt considering the winters we experience here.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I got a 2014 MDX White on Parchment. I wanted the black interior but wife wanted the parchment. But I keep it up pretty well. I clean and condition the leather pretty often especially in the summer. After 5 years and 100K miles, there are some cracks and jean stains on the driver seats but over all in really good shape. The leather on the base model isn't the softest but seems durable. And I think it depends on how much you are willing to do to keep it up

Expresso wasn't available back then or else it would have been our choice though.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
Color

We searched high and low for our color choice. Black was everywhere, but we knew black was a no-go. While it looks nice, just wait for a hot summer day and try getting into a car with black interior.
We, or should I say I really wanted black exterior, but the wife convinced me of the same problem we would find with black interior. Cook everything inside on even a mildly warm day. We choose white and tan.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Donn0128
We searched high and low for our color choice. Black was everywhere, but we knew black was a no-go. While it looks nice, just wait for a hot summer day and try getting into a car with black interior.
We, or should I say I really wanted black exterior, but the wife convinced me of the same problem we would find with black interior. Cook everything inside on even a mildly warm day. We choose white and tan.
While I agree black interior gets hot, Any color interior if sitting out in the sun all day in the summer will be unbearably hot when you first open the door. So even a grey or tan interior will have the same problem when sitting out in the hot summer sun. So it's not a problem unique to the black interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Color Thoughts / Experiences