IDS Mode Suspension changes? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

IDS Mode Suspension changes?

 
Old 02-21-2019, 09:59 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
IDS Mode Suspension changes?

I have not been able to find definitive confirmation of the IDS settings changing the suspension tuning (stiffness/travel) though it does seem that the ride becomes 'softer' going from Sport -> Drive -> Comfort mode on my 2018 MDX Adv SHAWD. I prefer either the Sport or the Comfort mode as the shifting in regular drive mode is a bit 'notchy' even when warmed up. Sport mode seems to be best in terms of the transmission setup in that there is barely any jerkiness even on cold, just that the ride seems to become a bit too firm unless I'm just imagining it since I've many people post here that the setting has no impact on the suspension just the transmission shift points and steering weight.

Thoughts?
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
getakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,816
Thanked 397 Times in 297 Posts
getakey is online now  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sadly that is only in the Hybrid and 2019 Advanced models, 2018 and below Advance models have the same passive dampers as the rest of the MDXs. So the question remains , does the IDS setting influence the suspension on the non active damper models in anyway?
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:03 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
getakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,816
Thanked 397 Times in 297 Posts
ah - I read your post too quickly. Thought you had Hybrid
getakey is online now  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
jdpdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 152
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
The Active Dampers on the MDX Sport Hybrid alone is worth the $1500 premium over regular SH-AWD gas model. It really works well to soak up bumps on the road when in Normal or Comfort mode. I prefer to drive in Sport mode 99% of the time for the tiniest amount of stiffness that it offers. Sport+ is annoying how it pump all that fake engine noise into the cabin, I almost never use it.
jdpdata is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Agree but the real world difference between the hybrid and non hybrid is closer to $6k since dealers discount the gas model way more esp out here in the west. When I got my 2018 Advance AWD, it was 52k for the gas or 58k for the hybrid at which point the gas won out. Anyways back to the original question does the IDS setting change the suspension tuning on the gas model?
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 02:08 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 114
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post
The Active Dampers on the MDX Sport Hybrid alone is worth the $1500 premium over regular SH-AWD gas model. It really works well to soak up bumps on the road when in Normal or Comfort mode. I prefer to drive in Sport mode 99% of the time for the tiniest amount of stiffness that it offers. Sport+ is annoying how it pump all that fake engine noise into the cabin, I almost never use it.
I don't think the Hybrid is pumping in any fake engine noise. Its all real, I enjoy the noise. The dual clutch downshifting in sport + mode is a thing of beauty.
bmoua15 is online now  
Old 02-23-2019, 02:16 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 114
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by undertaker2k8 View Post
Agree but the real world difference between the hybrid and non hybrid is closer to $6k since dealers discount the gas model way more esp out here in the west. When I got my 2018 Advance AWD, it was 52k for the gas or 58k for the hybrid at which point the gas won out. Anyways back to the original question does the IDS setting change the suspension tuning on the gas model?
Your 2018 doesn't come with the adaptive suspension. Only the Hybrids and 2019+ Advance models come standard with the adaptive suspension.

I purchased my 2018 Hybrid for $48,500 here in SoCal.
bmoua15 is online now  
Old 02-23-2019, 03:35 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Still back to the original question, why does the comfort mode ride softer on the 2018 advance if the IDS makes no difference on the suspension tuning ? That's what the original point of the post was, not how the adaptive damping is better or not.
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 11:53 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So no one else notices a change in the ride firmness between IDS modes in their non-active damper equipped SH-AWD MDXs (2017/2018/non-advance 2019) ?
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 02:30 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nobody knows for sure?
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 07:24 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 48
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
NVAKeith is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Yup, you may be feeling the change in SH=AWD torque management, and ascribing it to suspension damping. The most obvious change in my '14 between Normal and Sport is the steering, but I can feel some other subtle changes also.

Last edited by Bluepill; 03-01-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Bluepill is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 06:31 PM
  #14  
Coming to a city near you
 
Achance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: New Castle, DE
Age: 42
Posts: 1,893
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by undertaker2k8 View Post
Agree but the real world difference between the hybrid and non hybrid is closer to $6k since dealers discount the gas model way more esp out here in the west. When I got my 2018 Advance AWD, it was 52k for the gas or 58k for the hybrid at which point the gas won out. Anyways back to the original question does the IDS setting change the suspension tuning on the gas model?
I did a truecar search the other day
From same dealership in Pa.
2019 hybrid tech $49,986
2019 awd tech $46,581
so they are still coming out more than $1500 difference
Achance is online now  
Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 AM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 66
Posts: 271
Thanked 86 Times in 55 Posts
Production of the Hybrid is limited so dealers do not discount as much. That being said if one can be obtained for a "good" discount-snag it, it is a pleasure to drive !!
Pens Fan is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:09 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Age: 48
Posts: 65
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by undertaker2k8 View Post
Still back to the original question, why does the comfort mode ride softer on the 2018 advance if the IDS makes no difference on the suspension tuning ? That's what the original point of the post was, not how the adaptive damping is better or not.
it's because the electrical current going through the tiny magnetic materials in the shocks. check out this video.
mellonc is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
I have a 19 Advance with active dampers but I can't tell if there's a difference in suspension stiffness between the 3 ids modes. The link earlier only mentions sport +, it doesn't specifically mention changing stiffness for normal, sport or comfort ids modes.

If ids only changes active damper stiffness in sport + mode then the 19 Advance won't see a difference as it doesn't have sport + mode.

I would also be interested in confirmation whether comfort, normal or regular sport (not sport +) modes adjust stiffness and ride of active dampers

Last edited by bobby2478; 03-08-2019 at 11:23 PM.
bobby2478 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 AM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,016
Thanked 200 Times in 144 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
I have a 19 Advance with active dampers but I can't tell if there's a difference in suspension stiffness between the 3 ids modes. The link earlier only mentions sport +, it doesn't specifically mention changing stiffness for normal, sport or comfort ids modes.

If ids only changes active damper stiffness in sport + mode then the 19 Advance won't see a difference as it doesn't have sport + mode.

I would also be interested in confirmation whether comfort, normal or regular sport (not sport +) modes adjust stiffness and ride of active dampers
It only works in the Comfort mode. Sport modes are not when you want your suspension to give you a softer ride. You want a stiffer, more controlled overall. Acura has said in all of it's printed info....only in Comfort Mode.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret. View Post
It only works in the Comfort mode. Sport modes are not when you want your suspension to give you a softer ride. You want a stiffer, more controlled overall. Acura has said in all of it's printed info....only in Comfort Mode.
Does this mean that for Normal and Sport IDS modes the active dampers essentially are the same (Sport isn't more stiff than Normal) and then for Comfort mode the dampers are softened a bit for a smoother softer ride?

Can you link to where Acura references this? Thanks
bobby2478 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 AM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
I found this in the Sport Hybrid owners manual, it appears the Active Dampers do adjust settings across the 3 IDS Modes: Normal (normal stiffness), Comfort (less stiff for softer ride), Sport (more stiff for better handling/cornering). While this is from Sport Hybrid I'd assume 19 Advance would function the same. Acura isn't very good about updating documentation and they didn't bother updating the IDS section of the owners manual for the 19 Advance even though it now has Active Dampers like Sport Hybrid. My Advance owners manual makes no reference to Active Damper settings for IDS.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...BTRX1919OM.PDF
Page 474:

When Driving Integrated Dynamics System Modifies the dynamic character of the vehicle.
There are four modes to select from: Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+. -- Sport+ isn't on Advance, only Sport Hybrid
Normal - Balanced driving performance for most driving situations.
Sport - Enhances vehicle response feel through decreased steering assist, increased SPORT HYBRID SH-AWD® torque bias, modified Active Sound Control, and a more firm Active Damper setting.
Comfort - Maximizes driver comfort through increased steering assist and a softer Active Damper setting.

Last edited by bobby2478; 03-14-2019 at 11:04 AM.
bobby2478 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This thread was for majority of us without active dampers, any info on how the modes affect suspension at all between the three modes? Subjectively there seems to be a difference but haven't been able to find a single document confirming this.
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 12:39 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by undertaker2k8 View Post
This thread was for majority of us without active dampers, any info on how the modes affect suspension at all between the three modes? Subjectively there seems to be a difference but haven't been able to find a single document confirming this.
Without active dampers the IDS modes have no impact or control over suspension settings. The suspension is just like older vehicles, its just another part that's not linked to or controlled by software.

Active dampers essentially means that the suspension is dynamic and constantly changing and controlled by software so it can vary between soft and firm. This is also sometimes referred to as adaptive suspension.

Without the active dampers the suspension doesn't dynamically adjust. The suspension is tuned a certain way from the factory and this tuning is static it doesn't change dynamically

Last edited by bobby2478; 03-14-2019 at 12:42 PM.
bobby2478 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
Without active dampers the IDS modes have no impact or control over suspension settings. The suspension is just like older vehicles, its just another part that's not linked to or controlled by software.

Active dampers essentially means that the suspension is dynamic and constantly changing and controlled by software so it can vary between soft and firm. This is also sometimes referred to as adaptive suspension.

Without the active dampers the suspension doesn't dynamically adjust. The suspension is tuned a certain way from the factory and this tuning is static it doesn't change dynamically
So the change in ride stiffness on my 18 advance between the settings in all in my head?
Some reviews seem to suggest otherwise: https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...-awd/94681260/ but nothing official from Acura on it hence the thread.
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by undertaker2k8 View Post
So the change in ride stiffness on my 18 advance between the settings in all in my head?
Some reviews seem to suggest otherwise: https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...-awd/94681260/ but nothing official from Acura on it hence the thread.
The point i was simply trying to make is in order for there to be a change in ride stiffness on a vehicle based on IDS setting that would require the suspension to be electronic and able to dynamically change it's tuning based on sensors and by being linked electronically with the IDS in the car and controlled dynamically by software. In essence this would mean the suspension was "smart" and able to change based on software control.

If the suspension is just regular dampers, then it is "dumb" for lack of a better term, with no ability to change their tuning on the fly and isn't linked to IDS, then how would it even be possible for IDS setting to alter ride characteristics? If they did then what would the difference be between them and "Active Dampers"? There wouldn't be a difference. "Active" in this instance means "adjustable" or "adaptive".

If not active dampers, they are your basic suspension system (shocks/springs with no electronic interface) and thus it isn't possible for them to change ride characteristics based on IDS setting. It isn't possible, and thus the perceived change in ride stiffness has to be in your head as it's not possible for software to control a "dumb" part

bobby2478 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
neoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 446
Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts
Reviewers are often not familiar enough with the details to actually provide correct info. OP, you have the regular ol' spring and strut system with no damper rate control (it's not active dampers) so no, there are no changes in the suspension with IDS mode changes. People have been trying to tell you this multiple times in the thread now.
neoshi is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 41
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
Reviewers are often not familiar enough with the details to actually provide correct info. OP, you have the regular ol' spring and strut system with no damper rate control (it's not active dampers) so no, there are no changes in the suspension with IDS mode changes. People have been trying to tell you this multiple times in the thread now.
I want to believe that but the car is definitely a tad 'bouncier' over bumps in sport mode meaning a stiffened suspension, though how it's possible is a mystery that this thread was about. Unless my very late model 2018 advance somehow got the active dampers (very unlikely and I am not sure if there is a way to confirm visually) .
undertaker2k8 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:11 AM
  #27  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 114
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The problem most of you have is not purchasing the Hybrid. It's the best version of the MDX so far
bmoua15 is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 AM
  #28  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoua15 View Post
The problem most of you have is not purchasing the Hybrid. It's the best version of the MDX so far
Thy hybrid is definitely interesting option, unless you ever may want to tow anything, drive a lot of highway miles (over 70 mph), live in a very cold climate (which drastically reduces fuel economy in winter), want the entertainment package (not available on hybrid), or like the look of the new 19 advance wheels better (hybrid advance gets same wheels as 18 advance). Not to mention the hybrid has only been out 3 years, so is still relatively "new" technology which has slightly higher risk of issues compared to the traditional powertrain.

Not arguing that the hybrid isn't a strong vehicle with it's benefits, it definitely is and there are pros/cons to each. If the hybrid supported light towing (up to 3,500 lb) i would have seriously considered it given it's better gas mileage (except the drop in winter would bring it more in line with the 3.5), but in the end without entertainment package (which i wanted for our new born) i'd probably have still chosen the 19 3.5 AWD Advance with Entertainment.
bobby2478 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 AM
  #29  
Registered Member
 
neoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 446
Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts
People would probably buy them more if they could actually produce more tech versions. Instead it's like finding a needle in the haystack so then there is no significant discount on them like we get on the gas versions ($5k off msrp). As a result, the price difference makes them not as much of a value product as they could be. But I'm sure Honda has some good reason for this...
neoshi is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
People would probably buy them more if they could actually produce more tech versions. Instead it's like finding a needle in the haystack so then there is no significant discount on them like we get on the gas versions ($5k off msrp). As a result, the price difference makes them not as much of a value product as they could be. But I'm sure Honda has some good reason for this...
Good point, I never considered the availability of the hybrids as a whole, especially in a specific combination of package and color. Not to mention as you said that with limited availability they charge a premium and don't discount very much from MSRP compared to gas versions (even rare gas versions still get 5k+ off MSRP). So while MSRP isn't much different between hybrid and gas, which makes it a good deal, compared to a gas version you'll pay much more which makes it much less of a value. If it's going to cost you a $5k+ premium for hybrid then that radically alters the value equation compared to gas
bobby2478 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:26 PM
  #31  
Coming to a city near you
 
Achance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: New Castle, DE
Age: 42
Posts: 1,893
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder if there a battery supply issue and they can’t produce enough. Does it share the battery with any Honda’s?
Achance is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:33 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Achance View Post
I wonder if there a battery supply issue and they can’t produce enough. Does it share the battery with any Honda’s?
I doubt it's a supply issue, it's likely trying to balance demand, and i'd imagine there isn't quite the level of demand that would necessitate them boosting production by quite a bit. Plus the more exclusive/rare means they don't have to offer much in way of discounts. When looking at demand for MDX as a whole they have to balance across all the variants and dedicate factory time to each variation (FWD, AWD, Hybrid, Base, Tech, A-Spec, Advance, Entertainment, etc). If they dedicate more time to Hybrid production that's less of the 3.5L they're able to make, and I imagine that's still where the vast majority of the demand is. If people want hybrids bad enough they'll always special order them from the factory anyway.
bobby2478 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
  #33  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,016
Thanked 200 Times in 144 Posts
Smile Diffeence between 2018 and 2019 Models

Originally Posted by undertaker2k8 View Post
This thread was for majority of us without active dampers, any info on how the modes affect suspension at all between the three modes? Subjectively there seems to be a difference but haven't been able to find a single document confirming this.
The 2018 MDX Hybrid models have Active Dampers. In 2019 Models, that feature was added to the Advance model. Put in Comfort mode and that's where they work. Only there. It was one of the few changes made to the 2019 Model.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. is offline  
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,016
Thanked 200 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
Does this mean that for Normal and Sport IDS modes the active dampers essentially are the same (Sport isn't more stiff than Normal) and then for Comfort mode the dampers are softened a bit for a smoother softer ride?

Can you link to where Acura references this? Thanks
In the 2019 Advance model....when put in Comfort mode, that is the ONLY place where the dampers become.."Active." All this info. is in the MDX Manual...you can download or order all manuals in paper print at no cost to you by going through the Acura Owner's Site. I do that for every Acura or Honda I buy. Printed by Helm Publishing. Sent to your house...no costs at all.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
NewRDXdriver
Third Generation RDX (2019+)
11
12-08-2018 07:03 AM
iHondaGuy
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
11
08-28-2016 03:57 PM
Acura2010
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
55
12-31-2014 10:54 AM
xo1rider
3G TL Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation
2
03-08-2006 06:28 PM
SatinSilver3.2
Ramblings
42
03-22-2005 01:36 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IDS Mode Suspension changes?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.