Ids

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Ids

Integrated Dynamics System
I have the MDX- SH - not sure if it is available on regular MDX and/or if it works differently.
Manual says it adjusts Steering Assist, Throttle Response and Torque bias and paddle shift response as you go from Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+. No mention of change to suspension.
However, one of the reviews said it does change suspension. I'm assuming that is wrong?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
The only MDX that has adjustable suspension for the 3G is the Sport Hybrid model.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

that is the model I am talking about, but manual does not say that the suspension adjusts.
I don't think it does
Old 07-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I see. Using a mere SH moniker is not abundantly clear because a gasoline only MDX has the SH-AWD variety, which one could easily mistake for your "SH." "Regular MDX" could also be likely mistaken for a non SH-AWD MDX, rather than a non Sport Hybrid MDX.

Anyhow, I do see that the owner's guide and manual both lack any documentation on the adaptive suspension, but the parts diagrams do show new struts with electrical harnesses coming from the top, so one could assume that they've put those there for a strut top part that makes adjustments depending on the IDS mode as they advertised. Can you FEEL a difference when you drive it?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

ok will be more clear on Sport Hybrid

I can feel the steering tighten up and engine revs higher before shifting. Will have to experiment more to tell difference in suspension.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
ok will be more clear on Sport Hybrid

I can feel the steering tighten up and engine revs higher before shifting. Will have to experiment more to tell difference in suspension.
Just to clear up my own confusion. You own a 2017 Hybrid MDX correct?

If so, then yes you do have the adaptive suspension. The reason your manual doesn't say anything about it is because the Hybrid was a late 2017 release and therefore I'm willing to bet they are still using the older manual for the regular MDX. In terms of feeling a difference, find a section of roadway that is wavy and try sport mode and comfort mode. In my 2007 MDX Advance with the adaptive shocks, I could hardly tell the difference between comfort anf sport mode, even on roads with a lot of bumps. However, when driving on roads with wavy undulating surfaces, I seen a HUGE difference in the body motions when using sport and comfort modes.

So in my experience, the adaptive suspension in Acuras doesn't really work like others. It doesn't effect how the car rides, so much as it controls the motion of the body. Does that make sense?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On my 2017Sport Hybrid I can certainly feel the difference in ride between comfort and sport as the shocks become stiffer.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

yes, I have the 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid
The manual does have language specific to the Hybrid, but does not discuss adaptive suspension
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Found info in the Press Kit - so the Dampers do adjust with the IDS setting

Front Active Damper Strut

The MDX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD uses exclusive Active Dampers that are integrated with the Integrated Dynamics System functions. Similar in appearance to the MDX's coil-over dampers, the Active Dampers have electronically adjustable damping that lets the Integrated Dynamics System automatically fine-tune ride and handling to driver preferences. As directed by the Integrated Dynamics System controller, an electric actuator within each damper constantly controls the hydraulic fluid movement inside the unit. Damper settings are automatically calibrated to the Integrated Dynamics System setting to achieve the following benefits:
  • COMFORT – Emphasizes ride comfort and reduces road noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) to lowest levels ever for the MDX platform in urban driving
  • NORMAL – Provides an ideal everyday balance of ride and handling for a wide range of conditions
  • SPORT/SPORT+ – Flattens and stabilizes the vehicle body during rapid steering inputs and maneuvers, improving tactile feel and overall responsiveness
Old 07-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

So do you notice any differences at all? I mean in your initial post you were asking if it involves the suspension because you can't feel it. So my question is can you feel ANYTHING at all?
Old 07-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Safety Car

I just have not driven it enough in Sport mode to tell. Its only 2 weeks old to me. I went on 800 mile trip, but left it in Normal mode since I was on Interstate virtually the whole way.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I just have not driven it enough in Sport mode to tell. Its only 2 weeks old to me. I went on 800 mile trip, but left it in Normal mode since I was on Interstate virtually the whole way.
Oh ok I got you. Let us know how you feel after some more seat time please. I know that with the 2007-2009 MDX there was a lot of complaints that people could not feel a difference so in 2010-2013 Acura tuned the adaptive shocks to be way different between comfort and normal mode.

One other thing I wanted to point out. In the press release they talk about coilovers, so the MDX comes with coilovers stock? That's pretty darn cool.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Drove in sport mode more this weekend and switched back and forth to normal. I can feel a difference - not much, but some. Most noticeable in corners - seems like car does not lean as much
Old 07-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You might see a bigger difference if you compare Comfort to Sport, in addition Comfort will probably give you the best gas mileage, that is what I have found by driving the same route in each mode mutiple times.
It seems to make increased use of battery drive in Comfort over Normal.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Drove in sport mode more this weekend and switched back and forth to normal. I can feel a difference - not much, but some. Most noticeable in corners - seems like car does not lean as much
Yup as I suspected. The adaptive shocks in Acuras are odd, they don't really change the ride comfort (IMHO/E) but they just control the body better (I.e no float or more float) and I'm not surprised that you felt it more in sport mode because like
the 2G MDX, they work in conjunction with the AWD system to keep the body flat.