View Poll Results: How do you feel about Acura replacing stick shift selector with buttons?
Hate it!!!
51.82%
Love it
22.73%
Don't care about it at all
25.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

How could they remove stick selector and replace it with buttons????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The mdx shawd system works better than my rdx, but even then my rdx is solid in the snow (with snow tires). I wish my rdx had ids, it is a shame though that the ids does not affect ride dampening whatsoever. But I like how it firms up the steering a bunch and puts the transmission into an aggressive mode, though I found it unliveable for normal driving.

In bright daylight, its not enough to have a green ring or light or whatever.

I personally think its bad foresight to put the cup holders anywhere near the shifter. The shifter should either be to the side closest to the driver with the cup holder a few inches over or the cup holders a few inches in front of the shifter. That way zero interference. I also get what you mean about one interfering with the other and vice versa, I think putting the cups in front or beside the shifter pretty much eliminates any interferance.

I feel like I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I just don't like pointless stuff like this. It takes a sporty car and makes it gramafied
You ain't getting an argument from me
Old 02-16-2016, 12:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
You ain't getting an argument from me
Hahahha
Old 02-16-2016, 04:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Ok guys, I think we need to dial it back a bit. We're talking about taking a traditional center console mounted automatic shifter out of a 7-passenger SUV.

As seen in my sig, I have a foot in both camps. I can say I like the immediacy of the shifter in our 2006. There is indeed a slight lag from reverse to drive in the 2016. But you get used to the buttons quickly and actually start to prefer them.

And don't think of it as removing the ability to shift altogether; think of it as Acura evolving with the industry towards a reliance on paddle shifters (if you want to shift at all).

This is my father's 2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello. That little lever is to engage reverse. Otherwise, no traditional shifter (just paddles). That's in a 14 year old car.

I still enjoy the experience of rowing a manual gearbox, but unfortunately, a small computer chip can shift faster than me and way more efficient.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the point is, changes and improvements are two different things. I'm sure we all welcome the latter.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Stay classy, San Diego...
Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait until you spill a cup of coffee with lots of sugar down that new selector. My wife drives a tlx and has it and its hard for me to get use to it. She doesn't mind so it must be a woman thing.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
It's a button vs a knob. I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion. It's nice to see Acura think outside the box for once.
The following users liked this post:
pnoi521 (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mdx001
Wait until you spill a cup of coffee with lots of sugar down that new selector. My wife drives a tlx and has it and its hard for me to get use to it. She doesn't mind so it must be a woman thing.
Exactly my thoughts and worries!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The push button differently is different than the traditional shift stick. I guess we are moving toward the future. Now if they can have a push button they can make me a cup of coffee inside the car, they will be perfect.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been lurking here a while and finally signed up. I almost bought a 14 MDX but was turned off by the dual screen, another innovation that has a few issues.
One famous car car with push buttons was the Edsel....look what happened there. Seriously when you make a change from tradition the product should perform better than what it replaced. Providing more space is a little feeble IMO.
I drove the 16 and was turned off by the clunky 9 speed and shift button. I really like a lot of other things about the MDX but the RX350 is first class also. I'm going to buy one or the other soon, leaning Lexus but will wait to see what Accura intros in NY in a couple of weeks. Their own 10 speed and single screen like the Pilot might make the difference.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I'm going to buy one or the other soon, leaning Lexus but will wait to see what Accura intros in NY in a couple of weeks. Their own 10 speed and single screen like the Pilot might make the difference.
I hear that the RX350 is getting a redesign for 2017 that will include 3rd row seating. If I'd known before I bought my 2015 MDX, I would've waited.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, of course, it all boils down to cost. Why have a mechanical shift lever connected to a switch when you can just have the switch!

Old 03-11-2016, 07:18 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought i wouldn't like it but after a thousand miles I do. Mostly because I do a lot of road trips and when reaching for a drink or anything it doesn't get in the way. Also my friends like the new technology. But more importantly the features such as being able to just hit the start/stop button after driving will automatically put it in park. When I learned about this feature I may sure to do it every time the first couple weeks to get in the habit. This way I'm actually using the car features otherwise I would constantly put it in park then hit stop.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had an MDX loaner a couple of months ago. I chuckled and told my wife that the pushbutton shifter was just like the one in my dad's 1963 Rambler.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bell2
yes, buttons are more advance feature so it needs to be done like BMW, keeping the stick shift.
<smile>
The BMW isn't a stick shift, its an Atari joystick with a cool handle.
</smile>
DLMC
Old 03-30-2016, 10:31 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
My 15 TLX (SH-AWD) has the push buttons and I hate them. There is a delay making any gear change - it becomes very problematic if you are in a parking lot and you need to go from D to R and back again quickly. I'd say there is a good 1-1.5 second delay from the push to actually being in gear. Which doesn't sound like a lot until you are in a real hurry.

Also, my TLX transmission control module failed one day and the car threw itself into park while I was moving. Fortunately I was only backing out of my driveway at the time. But that can't happen with a regular gear selector. I don't trust the push buttons now. Ditching the car as soon as the lease is up if not sooner. There is a LONG thread in the TLX forum on how bad the 9-speed is, which is also in the 16's.

We just replaced our 12 RDX with a 14 MDX and I was very intentional about avoiding the push button selector and the 9-speed that comes with it, which is why we stayed with the 14. Love the car.

Last edited by 1Louder; 03-30-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, of course, it all boils down to cost. Why have a mechanical shift lever connected to a switch when you can just have the switch!

Exactly, the mechanical shifter has long gone, all transmissions are mode selected by switches. This thread is only about the shape of the switch.

The big problem is the delay in its reaction but that's an Acura thing - it's like the delay in the long outdated touchscreen.

The biggest attribute of the conventional shift lever is to provide a place to rest your hand when your arm is on the armrest/console.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by db22
Exactly, the mechanical shifter has long gone, all transmissions are mode selected by switches. This thread is only about the shape of the switch.

The big problem is the delay in its reaction but that's an Acura thing - it's like the delay in the long outdated touchscreen.

The biggest attribute of the conventional shift lever is to provide a place to rest your hand when your arm is on the armrest/console.
Not quite correct. The conventional shifter also allowed the driver to get a visual cue about what gear it was in.

Jeep had to change its lever back to something more conventional and there are reports about people forgetting to put cars in park and exiting the car - along with people just forgetting to shut the car off.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ceb
Not quite correct. The conventional shifter also allowed the driver to get a visual cue about what gear it was in.
And gear selection lock-out is mechanical so you can't put the car into Park while it's moving.

Like my fancy push button one did all by itself.

I'm less hung up about buttons vs. shifter as I am the issue of operator control - more precisely the idea that you need to push a button or pull a trigger to make some gear changes with a shifter. With the push button I have to rely on software and electronics.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:01 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Originally Posted by ceb

Jeep had to change its lever back to something more conventional and there are reports about people forgetting to put cars in park and exiting the car - along with people just forgetting to shut the car off.
Well good thing the car will automatically put itself in park if you open the drivers door while stopped. Forgetting to shut off is not Acura's fault I would imagine that problem could have come to anyone who had a key fob from standard key. Personally I have never let my car continue to run with this or any other car in the past.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by neo1738
Well good thing the car will automatically put itself in park if you open the drivers door while stopped. Forgetting to shut off is not Acura's fault I would imagine that problem could have come to anyone who had a key fob from standard key. Personally I have never let my car continue to run with this or any other car in the past.
Forgetting to shut the car off is due to stupidity/ inattention. Hell, the car beeps at you when you walk away with the key. You can fix features but you can't fix stupid.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 AM

Agree that's a fob problem not a push button tranny problem.

However it reminds me of another knock on the push button tranny - there are times when I need to open the driver door a crack to get a good look when I'm backing up (sometimes I like to use the curb as a reference or maybe visibility is bad out the window). Not something I do a lot, but it's impossible now in my TLX because the car goes into park when the door opens.

I struggle to find one benefit that a push button has over conventional, aside from maybe cost of the part. I really dislike the lack of operator control.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Agree that's a fob problem not a push button tranny problem.

However it reminds me of another knock on the push button tranny - there are times when I need to open the driver door a crack to get a good look when I'm backing up (sometimes I like to use the curb as a reference or maybe visibility is bad out the window). Not something I do a lot, but it's impossible now in my TLX because the car goes into park when the door opens.

I struggle to find one benefit that a push button has over conventional, aside from maybe cost of the part. I really dislike the lack of operator control.
For me having mirror auto angle down combined with backup camera has eliminated the need to open the door to look out for the past 10 years (since my 07 RDX) not sure why you need to do that, or you could always roll down the window and stick your head out I suppose. Again I don't see it as a common problem very unique to you. I personally love being able to reach my diet coke without having to go around a stick shifter. To each their own I suppose.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

For me having mirror auto angle down combined with backup camera has eliminated the need to open the door to look out for the past 10 years (since my 07 RDX) not sure why you need to do that, or you could always roll down the window and stick your head out I suppose. Again I don't see it as a common problem very unique to you. I personally love being able to reach my diet coke without having to go around a stick shifter. To each their own I suppose.
And if you were to spill said diet coke onto buttons accidentally....I can't imagine having a pretty outcome.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDX10
And if you were to spill said diet coke onto buttons accidentally....I can't imagine having a pretty outcome.
Not quite as bad as spilling maple syrup or poutine on the buttons...
Old 04-05-2016, 08:27 AM

The problem isn't the lack of work arounds, the problem for me is the car making too many decisions for me. If I want to open the door I should be able to open the door. I've managed to get by for 32 years without needing a car to put itself into park. Falls under the "wasn't broken, didn't need fixing" category. Besides it's not there because anyone needs that function, it's there to protect Acura from liability. I can make the argument it actually reinforces bad habits by training people its OK to just exit the car without putting it into park.

In the grand scheme of things none of this is really a big deal. It's just one of those things that didn't get better, it just got different. And it seems very few people have had the experience I did when my car threw itself into park while I was moving when the transmission control module failed. It's unnerving to say the least, and my trust in the overall system is very low.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
Not quite as bad as spilling maple syrup or poutine on the buttons...
hahahah well done ceb, or tim hortons coffee.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bell2
I'm shocked. How could they remove stick selector and replace it with buttons???? They want to make it totally womens car? Just curios how does everybody else feel about it?

thanks
This is so old, but I just bought a used 2017 MDX, and I hate the shifter so much that I had to come online and complain about it. lol. I'm a woman! So I don't get that statement, but whatever. 😂 😂

I'm trying to figure out a way to cover it and still have it look good and be functional. I feel like it's one coffee splash away from not being able to shift gears. Any veteran owners run into this?
Old 11-16-2020, 10:38 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Imani Brown
This is so old, but I just bought a used 2017 MDX, and I hate the shifter so much that I had to come online and complain about it. lol. I'm a woman! So I don't get that statement, but whatever. 😂 😂

I'm trying to figure out a way to cover it and still have it look good and be functional. I feel like it's one coffee splash away from not being able to shift gears. Any veteran owners run into this?
I think we are just out of luck with the old shifter stock unless Acura provide 6MT or 7MT down the road. Mechanical shifters are becoming obsolete with everything becoming drive by wire transmission, steering, gas pedal, and brakes. It took a while; but, I've gotten used to no shifter to rest my hand on long road trips.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
We are getting familiar with it. While not my prefered solution it is ok. For decades going between cars I'd often and still often make wierd motions with my right hand to move the shifter. Get into our Denali pickup and reach for the center console, instead of column. Get into either of our MB and reach for the column instead of the center console, now make waving motions over the console with the MDX. Drive one vehicle for a week or so and then get into another and takes a few trips to remember what to do.

More agrivating is where the wiper stalk is. More than once I've given a right turn signal on the MDX thinking I hit the WSW, all my other vehicles have the WSW stalk on the left side,
Old 11-16-2020, 11:16 AM

My hate of buttons from 4 years ago hasn't gone away, but it's overtaking us now so might as well get used to it. Buttons, knobs, it's all replacing the shifter. I still don't like it.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
I never knew this thread existed!

This was probably in February or March of this year, when I steam cleaned the general area of where the gear buttons were located, Christmas lights lit up and the ebrake wouldn't engage. I got two error codes because of it. And it cleared up after 1 hour at a Lincoln dealer of all places. God I really hate this type of selector, and ebrake (gimme the old fashion lever or foot brake).