Headlight side projection

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlight side projection

Curious if others find that there isn't enough light being shined to the sides while taking turns at night.. I feel like there's s big dark spot going into a turn.. maybe need an adjustment? 2015 mdx tech.
thanks
Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
compared to what? Most cars have very little side light. The most sidewards light I had was in the RL which had articulating headlights. I think the MDX is better than most
Old 11-12-2017, 01:41 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I've seen a few people complain of the same thing and do notice it myself, especially during sloped turning (e.g. an on ramp). If you look at IIHS' headlight tests, you will notice that they also note that the MDX's headlight distance is a bit sub par. It is bright, but close, and not wide enough. I wonder if this has to do with the directional nature of LEDs and the limited diffusion that the jewel eyes provide. Also, the lights do give our eyes some difficulty in seeing the darkness bordering the light since our pupils become so contracted due to the brightness of the lights. Since the headlight design slightly changed in 2017, I do wonder if the spread is different, but haven't checked in any detail yet. But, this is something that has been resolved by most luxury makers by having road curve adaptive headlights.

Last edited by neoshi; 11-12-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I use with my fog lights like short range driving lights on my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX. The fogs really brighten up the immediate front area of the vehicle the HIDs skip over and provide additional light for the front/sides of the vehicle when turning. That might be one big disadvantage of LED headlight with multiple separate projector lens giving laser type light output compared to a single LED or HID projector lens with a wider flood pattern.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Definitely worst on a slope. Here's a video pulling into my road. You can skip to 20s Mark.

​​​​​​