Has anyone turned the third row into a storage compartment?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone turned the third row into a storage compartment?

I opted for the MDX over the RDX mostly for the extra space. I'll often load up with friends and ski gear, or camping trips with my bike, dog, camp kitchen, etc. Point being, I got it for gear space- not seating space. It has more space than the RDX as is (not to mention a flat floor for when I want to sleep in the car), but ideally, I'd like to save some weight and gain some storage for seldom used items (jumper cables, first aid kit, flares, air compressor etc), as well as possibly have a "secret compartment" to keep expensive stuff like my camera, drone, laptop etc. out of site and where it's unlikely to be found if someone breaks in.

Has anyone done something like this? I'm looking for clever design features...perhaps something that can be opened from either side...something that is solid and tight...doesn't make noise, etc.
I'm thinking of just making it out of 1/4" plywood with some folding legs to keep the surface at the right height, and then carpeting it over with whatever I can find that matches best (plus it'll be covered by my rubber cargo mat most of the time anyway)

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath but just wondering if anyone has seen or done something like this, or if anyone has any clever ideas. The closest I could find is someone who made an elevated sleeping platform in his pilot, but that's not quite what I am looking for.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:16 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
I was just on the MDX accessories page and it showed a tent attachment to the back of the MDX, hope that helps..
Old 01-26-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
while unlikely someone has built a storage space in the MDX, it is likely some one has done it for a van/camper/conversion's.
there are plenty of videos on youtube of regular SUV conversions into living quarters...while you're not going that far, it would still be helpful to watch a few to get some ideas.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've no idea why anybody would want a tent that can only be used while attached to a car. Makes for a crappy unversatile tent, plus you can't drive the car.

Those conversion sites are a good idea. I'm thinking I'll just cut the plywood to the shape of the rear seatbacks, have it velcroed in, and perhaps have some kind of support in the middle attached to the floor so I can use thinner wood. I'll have a couple of nylon or carpet straps coming up from the seam for pull handles. No need to have fancy hinges or anything since it'll mostly be for seldom-used stuff.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the coolest thing ive seen is a bed in a Honda Element.
I forgot how and what materials were used, but I do remember he laid a support beam down that was folded up..then folded down the "bed". it didn't look fancy, but it was the hinges and the way it all folded up when not in use that I enjoyed.