Good news on the winter tire front

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Good news on the winter tire front

Just installed Michelin Latitude 245/60 18 x Ice2. On dry, ride and noise are identical to their all season counterpart. Normal driving handling is also identical. Surprisingly moderately aggressive sharp turns are also unaffected (thanks SHAWD). The only maneuver I could detect any difference was in high speed lane change where it feels less sharp and the increase in sidewall roll was detectable though by no means excessive. Impressive performance for a studless, severe snow service tire. 1700 including rims (alloys) and install. Highly recommended. We should get some snow this weekend so I'll update on snow performance then. BTW, as in our previous MDX, no dealer retraining of the TPMS is necessary, a yearly PITA with Honda Odyssey sensors.
The following users liked this post:
banjocotton (11-15-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's good to hear. I just negotiated the purchase of the same tire package (OEM18 inch Acura rims (with Acura centre caps) and Acura TPMS with Michelin X-Ice2Latitude SUV tires (245/60R18)) and just scheduling the install now. I wsa hoping that the X-Ice3 would be available in this size, but unfortunately they are not - but glad to hear that the dry road performance is good - hopefully the snow and ice performance will be good as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 273frankie
That's good to hear. I just negotiated the purchase of the same tire package (OEM18 inch Acura rims (with Acura centre caps) and Acura TPMS with Michelin X-Ice2Latitude SUV tires (245/60R18)) and just scheduling the install now. I wsa hoping that the X-Ice3 would be available in this size, but unfortunately they are not - but glad to hear that the dry road performance is good - hopefully the snow and ice performance will be good as well.
I like the acura rims but they are $$$$. The rims alone are more than a whole package on tire rack or at your local tire place. What I try to do is get cheap alloys that look close to the OEMs. On our previous ody the after market ones looked better than the Honda ones
Old 11-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
RL06tech - Excellent news on the tires and setup for 18s. I am going to go with Michelins over Blizzaks based upon your review. Thanks for the post.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by banjocotton
RL06tech - Excellent news on the tires and setup for 18s. I am going to go with Michelins over Blizzaks based upon your review. Thanks for the post.
Glad to help Ive owned them both, snow and ice performance is similar but the Michelins are much less compromised on dry cold conditions (compared to DMV1). Lets face it even if you live in the tundra like I do most of our winterdriving is not on snow covered roads (that's what snow plows are for )
Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Just installed Michelin Latitude 245/60 18 x Ice2. On dry, ride and noise are identical to their all season counterpart. Normal driving handling is also identical. Surprisingly moderately aggressive sharp turns are also unaffected (thanks SHAWD). The only maneuver I could detect any difference was in high speed lane change where it feels less sharp and the increase in sidewall roll was detectable though by no means excessive. Impressive performance for a studless, severe snow service tire. 1700 including rims (alloys) and install. Highly recommended. We should get some snow this weekend so I'll update on snow performance then. BTW, as in our previous MDX, no dealer retraining of the TPMS is necessary, a yearly PITA with Honda Odyssey sensors.
One more question... What do you do about a spare tire? I run 19s during summer months and will run 18s during winter. Get a spare? Use the canned stuff in winter? My other ride is a jeep and no issues there as I have 5 full size tires/wheels for each season.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by banjocotton
One more question... What do you do about a spare tire? I run 19s during summer months and will run 18s during winter. Get a spare? Use the canned stuff in winter? My other ride is a jeep and no issues there as I have 5 full size tires/wheels for each season.
Good question! If necessary id just use the regular spare. I think its a smaller diameter wheel anyway.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Pro

Update.
Well we had 3 inches of wet heavy stuff yesterday glad to report they work quite nicely for their intended purpose. BTW since its the first snow, as expected, everyone was driving like they've never seen snow before. I also got to "test" CMBS which I have set to the least sensitive setting. Works great! Definitely reacted before I had the chance to figure out that everyone ahead of me had panic braked since the numbnuts 3 cars ahead decided he had to do a u-turn because he skidded through where he wanted to turn.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed an Acura OEM 18 inch package (with TPMS and Michelin x-Ice2) - the rims are from the current RDX. I think it looks great, and the drive/handling seems unchanged from my stock 19's. I was going to go with the base rims for the MDX, but much prefer the look of the RDX rims. Attached are a couple of (bad) pictures - sorry - but thought it might be helpful to someone trying to make a decision. I can try to take a better picture if there is interest.
Attached Thumbnails Good news on the winter tire front-photo.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
RL06tech (11-25-2013)