First impressions - 2014 Advance

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
First impressions - 2014 Advance

Hello all,

We finally took possession of a 2014 Advanced Entertainment Crystal Black/Ebony SH-AWD (Accessories - Fog Lamps, Front Sport Trim, Body Side Moldings, Advanced Running Boards, Heated Steering Wheel, Cargo Liner, All Weather Mats). I had previously owned a 2007 MDX Sport. We had a 200 mile drive home so we were able to get a decent feel for the car.

Initial impressions - (EXTERIOR) visually it was even better than I'd anticipated. Very pleased with the accessories we chose. Car is noticeably less tall and lower to the ground. We agreed it looked classy and sporty without being gaudy.

(INTERIOR) things felt nicely laid out and not cluttered. We really like the ebony interior and the reduced use of wood. I personally feel the wood looks a bit too fake and glossy, but again like the reduced use. Love the gauge layout and appearance.

(FEATURES/ERGONOMICS)
- the leather doesn't feel the most luxurious but is adequate.
- It took me a while to find the seating position I liked. My butt may be a touch wide for the side bolsters (same problem on the 2007) but the seats are comfortable overall.
- I found the rear seat headroom to feel a bit low (I am 5'11" with fairly short legs vs torso) and noticed the seat to be a bit short in terms of depth (helps with fold flat feature I'd assume) but still adequate.
- I could stand a bit more recline in the second row too but again ... Adequate.
- The lower LCD could stand to be a touch more angled down. The functions aren't overly intuitive but will likely improve with additional uses. I was getting annoyed with the SYNC mode in relation to how it works with the seat ventilation feature (which could stand to put out a bit cooler or more forceful air through the seats).
- is there no way to direct tune on XM? Simply inputting a station number?
- the advance features work really well. Especially appreciated the Lane Keep Assist. The ACC keeps you too far from the car in front of you in all but the closest setting. Very intuitive in how both function. I could see myself forgoing the ACC is certain stretches of the Interstate depending on amount of traffic.
- stereo sounded really nice. Easy connect with the iPad via USB. The voice controls wouldn't function with my iPad for some reason (may still have been uploading data). I also couldn't get the Pandora app to work with my Bluetooth connected HTC DNA (does it need to be USB?).
- wish full iPod controls also appeared on the lower LCD and not just upper screen. It would be nice to have full access on lower screen while leaving Navigation map visible on the upper screen.
- glossy keys under the lower LCD don't scream luxury
- Nav looks a bit rudimentary but again is adequate
- overall thought the ride quality was a nice mix of forgiving and slightly sporty. It felt a bit less forgiving around town.
- load floor felt a touch high. With seats folded there is some space left behind the front seats for items.
- the cargo liner (while way overpriced) works well for our needs with dogs. I will post pics tomorrow.
- heated steering wheel heats up FAST and gets toasty.
- love what they did with the steering wheel buttons and functioning.

Summary of thoughts:

PROS
- nice mix of understated luxury and sportiness
- returning nice fuel economy
- comfortable and classy
- tech features (LKA, ACC, LDW) work as advertised
- does a lot of things well
- great steering wheel functions (buttons, scroll wheels)

CONS
- clunky functioning of center stack
- Nav graphics and look seem a bit dated and less than luxury worthy
- awkward coordination of climate controls (a/c, sync and seat heating/cooling option)

On our way home we achieved (according to the computer) 27.4 miles per gallon and this was traveling 74 mph for approx 2/3 of the trip and 79 mph for 1/3 of the trip. There were a few small periods of 60-64 mph as well. I was surprised with the interstate fuel economy especially.

Overall we are really loving it. May end up regretting the black exterior but I've had a lot of black cars through the years so we knew what we were getting into. Looks great clean! I am having a tough time finding anything I don't like for the most part. Most issues for me are just slight annoyances and nothing major.

I hope to post pictures tomorrow and am having the windows tinted on Tuesday so hope to post more after that as well.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Husker4theSpurs:
jhr3uva90 (09-24-2013), TSX69 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
nice car!!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Great review. Nice looking car! Good luck with it and wish you many happy miles down the road. And a BLACK advance in SH-AWD, that's esp rare right now. White is about the only color to be had, and in very limited quantities.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:53 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I ask real quick how much the running boards cost to get installed. I just bought a 2014 MDX and need those exact running boards installed. Any advice?