Does Acura read this forum?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Does Acura read this forum?

If one was looking at buying an MDX then one may find this forum to check things out. If you read for a while then I find it incredible that anyone would buy the 2014 MDX, it is a major problem for Acura.
No fog lights at sale time and then they charge a fortune for them, rattles, cheapened interior materials, unusable navigation and telematics.
Some of these items are typical of a first year car but it is exacerbated by moving manufacturing from a known Canadian facility to a new US facility and the whole concept of weakening the development of the MDX. It is less robust, less of an SUV and more of a soccer moms vehicle for soccer moms who do not wish to be branded by driving a van.
I find it somewhat surprising that people are trading in a MMC for one of these compromises.

If Acura is monitoring this forum then someone at corporate should be worried.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Even if they read this forum, they won't give a damn about it.

The only thing they care is the monthly sales figure, and the only time they start worrying is after seeing bad sales figures.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The odd thing is that the new model has received excellent reviews from the auto media. But looking at this board and the other MDX board out there, there are a bunch of complaints- especially about materials and the touchscreen/software.

I'm sure part of it is that people who are upset tend to post more than people who are happy. But we'll see how the complaints trend over the next few months.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums
The odd thing is that the new model has received excellent reviews from the auto media. But looking at this board and the other MDX board out there, there are a bunch of complaints- especially about materials and the touchscreen/software.

I'm sure part of it is that people who are upset tend to post more than people who are happy. But we'll see how the complaints trend over the next few months.
I agree, I am amazed at how the press like it but they never have to use it daily.

Also:
The complainers do tend to post whereas the happy owners tend to lay low.
Some people are complacent.
Some people accept mediocrity and some people see how to easily improve.

Apart from improved interior noise and improved MPG I do not see any advantages to the 2014.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
Apart from improved interior noise and improved MPG I do not see any advantages to the 2014.
-Quicker
-Better handling according to most reviews
-More flexible seating
-Better safety tech. Adaptive cruise and active lane-keeping are game changers.
-Lots of small improvements (ventilated seats, remote start, pushbutton start, more usable cargo area behind third row, more infotainment options, etc).

We have had a 2014 Adv/Ent since early July, and we love it. We came from a 2008 GL550, and the Acura is better in every way except for slightly less cargo capacity. We were in a position where we could not wait, so we cross-shopped with the JX, 2013 GL, and Q7. Nothing else had the combination of fuel economy, handling, performance, ride comfort, quiet, safety features, and entertainment options at any price. When we factored in the value, it was a no-brainer. Like others, we have had a few issues with the interface, but these are very minor compared to the overall goodness of the vehicle. This is my daily driver, and I can honestly say that I look forward to my 50 mile roundtrip commute because the MDX is just so nice to drive. We would definitely make the same decision again.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sraj
-Quicker
-Better handling according to most reviews
-More flexible seating
-Better safety tech. Adaptive cruise and active lane-keeping are game changers.
-Lots of small improvements (ventilated seats, remote start, pushbutton start, more usable cargo area behind third row, more infotainment options, etc).

We have had a 2014 Adv/Ent since early July, and we love it. We came from a 2008 GL550, and the Acura is better in every way except for slightly less cargo capacity. We were in a position where we could not wait, so we cross-shopped with the JX, 2013 GL, and Q7. Nothing else had the combination of fuel economy, handling, performance, ride comfort, quiet, safety features, and entertainment options at any price. When we factored in the value, it was a no-brainer. Like others, we have had a few issues with the interface, but these are very minor compared to the overall goodness of the vehicle. This is my daily driver, and I can honestly say that I look forward to my 50 mile roundtrip commute because the MDX is just so nice to drive. We would definitely make the same decision again.
Yeap...We were looking at the GL, ML and X5 and this has everything we wanted at a good price the GL was close but it has it issues as well and it's kind of big.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The sales figure of the last month (August 2013) was 6,500, which is the all-time high of MDX. Let's see how the sales figures would change.

Of course, there are many problems of '14 MDX. Though I love this car, I also had several small issues. No cars are perfect. No one forces you to buy '14 MDX. If '14 MDX is really bad to you, why don't you try other cars?

I also hate the navigation system. I mostly use my iPhone except for long trips. I also don't like interior design and materials. Also disappointed not having 360 surround cameras, electronic parking brake, power folding mirrors, and so on.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I am happy with my 2014 base. Comfortable seats, comfortable and quiet ride, great gas mileage, and good looking. What else can we ask for in this price range? I agree the build quality (e.g. plastic pieces mis-aligned) could be better. That, I blame the US workers. I can imagine the build quality would be much better if it was built in Japan. By the way, the 3G TL had a bunch of rattles but ended up being one of the best sellers (hah!)

But to say the MDX is a major problem is really non sense.

Last edited by hadokenuh; 09-10-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
The 14 mdx is on a new platform and no longer shares the same platform as the Honda oddy. Where as the previous gens are based off the oddy's platform. 14 mdx no 13 older soccer mom yes.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they probably dont know about the board ( and if they do, very few people )

its just members like US that keeps it going n updated w/ tips, tricks, how tos, and showing our ride(s) to one another ...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
I am sure Honda employs enough intelligence to know exactly what is going on here and everywhere else. They surely want to know what complaints and bugs they are going to be facing especially with a new model. Honda will continue to sell well while Acura seems to be struggling to find it's niche again. The 4g TL sales flopped first, while most people opted for the popular 2nd gen MDX or the 2nd gen TSX, which Honda nixed most recently because they weren't profitable enough. Then they started rolling out the ill-fated ILX with left over 2012 civic parts and started melting down all the leftover ZDX's and rolled out the RLX that is selling so poorly, it's being delegated to dealer loaner status. The 2013 RDX has been holding down the fort til it's bigger brother MDX could get on scene. The MDX will sell well and will have plenty of new model bugs, but it won't keep people from buying it. I just hope they nail down the new TLX so they can get back their core 3rd gen TL fans who loved that timeless design and the ever reliable J series. Acura just needs to rekindle some of the romance that seems to have been lost through this struggling economy and find their identity once again, however unique and small.
The following 3 users liked this post by sOLLEx:
Flame3g (09-23-2013), Gsmooth33 (09-16-2013), TLtrigirl (09-12-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
DB22. The mDX is by far the best suv out there. People do post complaints, as i hav myself, but i wouldnt hesistate to buy my 14' again. I had a 07 and 11 advanced, loved em both. Although there may be a few kinks to be worked out it blows away any other suv out there. I go through cars ever year or so. Ive owned pretty much everythnig out there. I probably would buy anything other than acuar/honda for a long fime. Dont talk yourself out of buying it. Its the best mdx so far.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
They already lost me. Did you look on the 3g forum? Everyones having a shit load of problems! I never expected this from Acura. I spent over 5500$$ in the past year fixing the car. I calculated that it would be cheaper to get a new car and it is! Last week, I leased a 2014 Kia Cadenza to replace my aging, dying 2004 Tl. I was looking at the TL, but i hate the beak, outdated nav, and dollar for dollar, it cant compare value wise to the cadenza. I have navi, blind spot, back up camera and sensors, lane departure, adaptive cruise control, electronic parking brake with auto hold, rear power sunshade, nappa leather, and stunning looks. All of this on a car with msrp of 41k

im leasing one, and its a great car, im paying 290/month 36 mo, 12k miles.
on average, i spent about 450/month repairing my tl past year.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to chuckle every time I see these Acura videos on the supposed people who Acura listened to to redesign the MDX. They certainly didn't listen to me. I've owned 4 MDX's and 8 other Acuras since 2000. They listened to the bean counters, attorneys, and their checkbooks. I do know for a fact that BMW DOES read and respond on their fan forums. I think Acura would be foolish not to read this and engage their clientele. Instead, they post cheesy things on Facebook and don't reach out. I saw the new MDX as Acura's LAST chance to keep themselves going. Will the new MDX sell big? YES! Will it alienate current enthusiasts who loved the edge of the Gen 2? Yes! I feel Acura has single-handidly ruined all their models, except for the TSX (well, the RL could only get better but it is still not competition to the A6, 5 Series, or E Class). But the TSX is dying a slow death and the ILX is just not a good replacement as it's underpowered and lacking several items to be a good contender. I think it's going to be too late for the TLX as I doubt it will stun and get good buzz. Acura will live on, but they've strayed too far from their roots and lost me as a customer next time around.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Two things:

1) Acura DOES read this forum. Very closely.

2) Take complaints with a grain of salt. People generally come on forums to find information or to complain. There are of course, the fan boys who also claim 'X brand' never does anything wrong. Like life, it's a mixed bag and your results may vary. Just because several people have the same identical problem, doesn't mean most or all of the other cars have it too.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Two things:

1) Acura DOES read this forum. Very closely.

2) Take complaints with a grain of salt. People generally come on forums to find information or to complain. There are of course, the fan boys who also claim 'X brand' never does anything wrong. Like life, it's a mixed bag and your results may vary. Just because several people have the same identical problem, doesn't mean most or all of the other cars have it too.
If they DO; in fact, read this, then I'm amazed they haven't reached out to me. I've owned the following:

-1999 TL
-2004 TL NAVI 6 SPD
-2006 TL NAVI 6 SPD
-2007 TL-S 6 SPD
-2008 TL-S 6 SPD
-2011 TSX 6 SPD
-2011 MDX Tech
-2011 MDX Tech
-2012 MDX Advance
-2012 TSX AUTO
-2012 TL Tech SH-AWD AUTO
-2014 MDX SHAWD Tech

This is the FIRST TIME I've had problems (save for a power steering pump on 2004 TL and a few window regulators throughout all cars). One would think they would reach out to me. I would think if they truly did read this, as a 12 Acura owner in 11 years, they'd make an effort to contact me.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
And I've been begging for tickets to the Honda museum down in California. It's invite only and I'm even a shareholder. Nothing.

Like I said, they read the forum, as for what they DO about it.. that's unknown. I'm guessing they just 'check the pulse' of their owners, same goes for Temple of VTEC and Twitter.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
And I've been begging for tickets to the Honda museum down in California. It's invite only and I'm even a shareholder. Nothing.

Like I said, they read the forum, as for what they DO about it.. that's unknown. I'm guessing they just 'check the pulse' of their owners, same goes for Temple of VTEC and Twitter.
HAHA! No manufacturer is perfect, this is for sure. But it's how you learn from mistakes and make the situation right is the key. I know they can't please everyone, but these are OBVIOUS problems. I think they rushed the launch on this MDX. New car. New factory. New employees. Executed very poorly.

I'll keep crossing my fingers they send you the tix!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I called the 800 number to see what, if any, updates have been made to the touch screen. I told them I was thinking of buying one. They took my cell phone number. It has been almost 3 weeks, no call back. This would've been my 6th Acura.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

It seems to me that the Acura MDX has turned into an "American" car. I know it was designed, built and bought here but I think that it would be very different if it was a Japanese implementation. The RL and the RLX have a totally different feel to them and it is a cut above the pack in quality - kind of what you would expect if going from a Honda to an Acura.
The 2014 MDX would not even make it as a Honda Pilot, at least the Honda Pilot works and its expectations are lower. One should expect a lot more from an Acura but this one totally misses the mark in design, quality, build and features.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Unfortunately, no matter how good it is the quality for the RL/RLX, people are not buying them.

But the new MDX's are flying off the dealerships' shelves. So, even with the drop in quality and features you perceived, buyers are still regarding the SUV as 1st rated.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Unfortunately, no matter how good it is the quality for the RL/RLX, people are not buying them.

But the new MDX's are flying off the dealerships' shelves. So, even with the drop in quality and features you perceived, buyers are still regarding the SUV as 1st rated.
A complex discussion but people do not buy the RLX because they do not know how good it is and people buy the MDX because they do not know how bad it is.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Racer

It seems to me that the Acura MDX has turned into an "American" car. I know it was designed, built and bought here but I think that it would be very different if it was a Japanese implementation. The RL and the RLX have a totally different feel to them and it is a cut above the pack in quality - kind of what you would expect if going from a Honda to an Acura.
The 2014 MDX would not even make it as a Honda Pilot, at least the Honda Pilot works and its expectations are lower. One should expect a lot more from an Acura but this one totally misses the mark in design, quality, build and features.
You know what's funny (but not really), I was worried about the quality since they were moving to a new plant in the USA. My TL's were all built in USA and had various rattles, etc throughout ownership. But my TSX's built in Japan never once had ANY problems, nor did my 2G MDX's (except for a failed window regulator). I can't believe Acura is just NOW adding rain-sensing wipers and keyless ignition. I had a car in 2006 with both features. Acura is far too conservative. I understand the 'value' that I always perceived from Acura. But in the 3G MDX, to put cheap/pleather-like materials in lieu of adding LED lights, removing fog lights, raising the price (and removing SH-AWD as standard), providing poor quality - I fail to see the value in that. Hell, I would've PAID extra to build the Acura I wanted with Color combo, front and rear parking sensors, NO TV, etc. The options packages simply cut down their costs and streamline production. It is not very consumer friendly.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Racer

^^^^^

You are absolutely correct about the RLX not selling and the MDX selling. But the devil is in the details and buyer's remorse slowly starts setting in. After 2 weeks in my 3G MDX, I wanted to go back in time and get my 2G MDX Advance back in the WORST way! The RLX is a nice car, but it's far too little too late. Half the people I know shopping in the E class, 5 Series, A6 line haven't even heard of the RLX. When they see it, they say "it's a nice car." But doesn't have anything to stand out to make me pay 55K or even 60K for an Acura. It looks OK, but doesn't offer anything above MB, Audi, or BMW except for a lower price with options. It has no discernible /unique features to offer a buyer over the competitors, except for the PAW-S system. Another fatal flaw - not offering the RLX in Sport Hybrid SH-AWD at launch. But according to my insider information, the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD will top out at 70K and only offer a tech and advance type package. The only Acura that will be successful north of 60K would be an NSX. My dealer is sitting on 15 RLX's, 10 of which are Advance. They can't give them away.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stu's2004TL
I called the 800 number to see what, if any, updates have been made to the touch screen. I told them I was thinking of buying one. They took my cell phone number. It has been almost 3 weeks, no call back. This would've been my 6th Acura.
That's unfortunate. In my business, I normally use a 2 call rule of thumb. If I call/inquire once and don't get a response within a couple days, I call/inquire one more time. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are either busy, away, didn't get the voicemail or message, or have other pressing matters. But after a second inquiry and no contact, that pretty much has me look or do business elsewhere. I'm surprised they didn't at least call you back and give you some BS story or typical sales pitch - or at least made the effort.

I've only ever called Acura Client Services twice over the past 13 years. Once to advise them I didn't own one of the vehicles anymore as I kept getting recall notices, etc. The second time to inquire about the availability of a part that the dealer advised was discontinued and to inquire as to why there was no replacement. The first time I was impressed with the professionalism and assistance. The second time, I felt like the guy was reading from a script and couldn't answer anything and didn't know who to send me to or where. I then did reach that department, left a message, and never heard back. So i gave up and went a different route.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 AM
2G TLX-S

A complex discussion but people do not buy the RLX because they do not know how good it is and people buy the MDX because they do not know how bad it is.
So I guess the couple-hundreds-per-month RLX buyers are smart, and the 6-to-7K-per-month MDX buyers are dumb !?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

So I guess the couple-hundreds-per-month RLX buyers are smart, and the 6-to-7K-per-month MDX buyers are dumb !?
That sounds about right, 1 smart one for 35 dumb ones = national average.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Don't forget the other many-thousands-per-month E-class/5-series buyers who also skip buying the RLX.

If also factoring them in, looks like the North Americans (US & Canada) are a lot worse than the above-mentioned national average.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Racer

I don't think so. I think the RLX just isn't on the masses' radar. One does not typically long to own an RLX, but many will yearn to own an E Class/A6/5 series because of brand cache, status, and prestige. Whether or not those competitors to the RLX are worthy of it or not. I think the RLX is a nice car. I've only sat in one for a few minutes when they first launched to get a feel for the touchscreen and interior. I sat in an advance so I was pleased with the leather, etc. I didn't bother to drive it as it wasn't an SUV and wouldn't buy it, so didn't want to waste salesperson's time. I just feel at 60K for an RLX Advance, Acura is really pushing it finding a buyer at that price tag when they can go 'upmarket' to Audi, Benz, or BMW. Now I used to think that the Acura would be rock-solid on reliability and execution, fit and finish, etc. But now I can't guarantee that anymore on an Acura given my 3G MDX problems. I would still be willing to bet the RLX would be far more reliable than the E Class or 5 Series down the road. I have owned both a 2008 A5 and 2009 S5. The A5 was a first production run and I had ZERO problems with it. Fit and finish excellent. The S5 also had no problems. The only thing I guess I didn't like about the S5 was the $250 oil changes! HAHA.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^^^

Don't forget the other many-thousands-per-month E-class/5-series buyers who also skip buying the RLX.

If also factoring them in, looks like the North Americans (US & Canada) are a lot worse than the above-mentioned national average.
I don't think that this thread should digress to the scholastic aptitude of the population. I think that can be concluded by the sustenance of perceived graduates being directly proportional to the lowering of the necessary pass standards.