Do you use ACC Low Speed Follow? Debating MDX/RDX.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you use ACC Low Speed Follow? Debating MDX/RDX.

Hello,

I'm debating between an MDX or an RDX. There's a great deal out there for a 2016 RDX Advance with Rails and Running boards for $30k with 42k miles. Looks awesome! I could spend an extra $5-$6k and get an MDX Advance. Its more car than we need but I like the idea of ACC w/ LSF but I'm not sure if I would use it....

What are your thoughts on ACC w/ LSF?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:23 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Is ACC and LSF new terminology for your foot and ACCelerator and brake pedal?
Old 08-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Are you in heavy freeway traffic a lot?

I love the Audi ACC/Traffic Jam Assist feature on my car. If my commute did not take me frequently to congested freeways it would not be as valuable to me.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
You will likely get more replies in the MDX forum as it's an MDX feature. May get some generic replies in here, but not many Acura owners hang out in Car Talk.

Let me know if you want me to move this.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by juniorbean
You will likely get more replies in the MDX forum as it's an MDX feature. May get some generic replies in here, but not many Acura owners hang out in Car Talk.

Ya sure, lets move it. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by svtmike
Are you in heavy freeway traffic a lot?

I love the Audi ACC/Traffic Jam Assist feature on my car. If my commute did not take me frequently to congested freeways it would not be as valuable to me.
No, not really. Mostly just city traffic on the commute.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean

Originally Posted by lexus9810
Ya sure, lets move it. Thanks!
MODERATOR NOTE: Moved to 3G MDX Discussion for better responses
The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (08-28-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Beyond the tech advancements of the MDX over the RDX there are also a lot more benefits to the MDX over the RDX. I.e a better and more modern engine in the MDX as well as better handling. Better materials with a more comfortable ride. Heated steering wheel that is tilt and telescoping, more interior room, around view camera (depending on year), and last but not least SH-AWD. The AWD system in the MDX alone is the reason I would take it over the RDX. If you don't need the heated wheel, or AWD or the space the RDX is a better bet for you. Oh and one other note, resale value will be WAY WAY better in the MDX vs RDX.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I've used ACC/LSF in traffic jams. Its a little jerky, but you don't have to pay attention as much.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:24 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX10
Beyond the tech advancements of the MDX over the RDX there are also a lot more benefits to the MDX over the RDX. I.e a better and more modern engine in the MDX as well as better handling. Better materials with a more comfortable ride. Heated steering wheel that is tilt and telescoping, more interior room, around view camera (depending on year), and last but not least SH-AWD. The AWD system in the MDX alone is the reason I would take it over the RDX. If you don't need the heated wheel, or AWD or the space the RDX is a better bet for you. Oh and one other note, resale value will be WAY WAY better in the MDX vs RDX.
Thanks! Do you think the same is true in the 2016? I had it as a loaner once and its a huge improvement at least over the 2008 we have. Def. going to miss the SH-AWD though. That resale value hits both ways. I can only pay so much for the hand-me-downs haha
Old 08-25-2017, 11:24 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Up until just a few months back, I had a 16 RDX and a 17 MDX. In the city driving I preferred the RDX over the MDX. The RDX is a bit smaller and more manageable parking and driving in traffic. And althought the MDX has the more modern 3.5 GDI and 9ZF tranny and SHAWD, the RDX felt more responsive and the 6AT shifts very quickly. The RDX just felt more lively to me. The MDX might have a few more tech options, nicer fit/finish/materials, but their interiors are not that much different.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Thanks! Do you think the same is true in the 2016? I had it as a loaner once and its a huge improvement at least over the 2008 we have. Def. going to miss the SH-AWD though. That resale value hits both ways. I can only pay so much for the hand-me-downs haha
Yes even for 2016. I had a 2007 RDX Tech for a few months and I took it in for service and was given a 2016 RDX tech AWD to drive around a few times as well as a 2016 MDX tech.

Whenever I had an RDX I was very excited to get back into my 2007 RDX. I strongly dislike the way the 2016's drive. Turns that I could take going 60km/h in my 07 RDX I had to go 30km/h in the 16 RDX. The lack of SH-AWD was extremely apparent and I feel really hampers the handling. The other thing is I was given ILX's to drive on numerous occations (I despise that car) and even it is built to a way higher quality than the RDX is. To me the current RDX is the lowest quality vehicle in Acura's lineup for a variety of reasons. Obviously though it drove much easier than the MDX did in terms of maneuverability, but I was more than happy to get my 10 year old car back again and I think that says a lot.

When I was given the 16 MDX to drive I remember it was extremely comfortable and felt more powerful than the RDX. It was way more refined and overall I felt that I was driving a premium SUV. The heated steering wheel was very welcome as well and overall material quality is much much higher in the MDX. The 16 MDX did feel large though but remember I was coming from a pretty small crossover at the time. The SH-AWD system in the 15+ MDX is the new generation SH-AWD that works very well and activates seamlessly. I remember it worked better than my 07 RDX SH-AWD system and even better than my 07 MDX SH-AWD system (the old MDX and RDX used a different SH-AWD algorithm and by works better I mean activates even on mild curves so was always ready as soon as I needed it). It was very nimble in the curves unsurprisingly unlike the 16 RDX. The other advantage is in snow, SH-AWD is an absolute beast.

Ultimately it really depends how you drive your cars and what you need from it. My vote is without reservation for the MDX.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Hello,

I'm debating between an MDX or an RDX. There's a great deal out there for a 2016 RDX Advance with Rails and Running boards for $30k with 42k miles. Looks awesome! I could spend an extra $5-$6k and get an MDX Advance. Its more car than we need but I like the idea of ACC w/ LSF but I'm not sure if I would use it....

Thanks!
I always uses ACC. It is awesome.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
My mom has a '17 RDX and I drive a '17 MDX Advance.

The MDX is a far more luxurious vehicle. For example, the way it integrates controls into the steering wheel is more sophisticated than the RDX. In general the switchgear in the MDX has a more premium feel to it. When it comes to general interior quality, I think the RDX fails to hide its previous-generation CR-V roots as much as the MDX hides its Pilot roots.

That being said, I agree with MTD in that the RDX drives a lot better. I blame the 9AT in the MDX; the 6-speed is perfectly matched to the V6 engine and I wish that same transmission was still in the MDX. The 9AT is geared toward bragging rights for most number of speeds and maximizing fuel economy.

Oh and to the OP: The low speed follow is cool, but it brakes and accelerates more quickly than I would otherwise perform. As a human I can see the other car start to merge into the space in front of me, and at least lay off the accelerator a few seconds before braking. The ACC system doesn't detect it until the car is moving into the lane, and will then brake strongly to reestablish the target distance.

Doesn't the RDX have the same feature? Or is it just ACC without the low speed follow?
Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
Skipping the broader MDX vs RDX issue, I can say that I *never* use the ACC in traffic jams or at low speeds. As getakey said, it is a little jerky. But at least here in southern California, it leaves so much space before the next vehicle that other cars are constantly cutting in front, making the system beep and jam on the brakes. Then it's slow to accelerate, letting someone else cut in... repeat, repeat, repeat.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I bought my 2014 MDX base model over the pre-MMC RDX Tech back in 2013. The MDX has more refined and sophisticated ride. The MDX had newer 3.5 engine at the time so gas mileage is the same with more power compared to the older 3.5 in the pre-MMC RDX. The base model comes with Bluetooth (and audio streaming), power lift gate, and backup camera. That was all I needed. And the "emergency" 3rd row seats are a plus.

I drove the RDX but didn't like it as much. It didn't feel special enough for me. One thing that I can still remember is the RDX didn't have rear AC vents back then. Stupid cost cutting move from Acura.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
I use ACC all of the time, except in very stop and go traffic. I like being able to set a speed at the maximum that I won't get a ticket for speeding. Then I can relax as it speeds up or slows down to keep the following distance.

I test drove a 2017 RDX and a 2017 MDX SH_AWD Tech before buying the MDX. I had been driving a 2013 RDX Tech since May of 2012. I wanted tp upgrade for the latest safety stuff. The RDX just didn't feel as nice as the MDX. One of the reasons I considered the MDX was that the RDX just felt a little small, (Both 2013 and 2016 which are basically the same car.). I had driven a 2001 MDX for 11 years prior to getting the RDX. I am happy to back in an MDX.

Regards, Jim
Old 09-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Acura usually improve the automation software in each model year? I’m wondering if the ‘18 MDX will see any reliability improvements for these functions.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 PM
4th Gear

I love the LSF, but its a little tricky. When you come to a compete stop, you have to push up on the cruse switch to get going again, and that has a big delay that's annoying. Most of the time I just accelerate on my own and set the ACC again. So LSF works great in "slow and go traffic" because you don't have to do anything, the system will keep you close to the car in front.

The ACC works great in general, but it panics when a car in front turns because a turn causes a sharp slow down and the system can't "see" that the car is getting out of the way as opposed to just stopping in front of you. That's annoying because it'll brake hard. I've gotten used to it and just hit the brake on my own when a car is about to turn.

The ACC works flawlessly on the freeway. Just set and forget.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Your considering spending $6k for one simple electronic feature so you don't have fully engage in driving in traffic...wow.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbawden
Your considering spending $6k for one simple electronic feature so you don't have fully engage in driving in traffic...wow.
Ok help me out here... I thought these features were standard.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
Ok help me out here... I thought these features were standard.
You said "I could spend an extra $5-$6k and get an MDX Advance. Its more car than we need but I like the idea of ACC w/ LSF but I'm not sure if I would use it...."

If you don't need the space of the MDX I personally wouldn't spend all the extra money because of one feature. If you like the MDX Adv for all the other features that come with it then I get it, but not just that one. For the record I have a '17 Adv AWD and thinks it's a great value in the luxury SUV market.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:32 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
I just re-read this. You don't need the Advance Package to get ACC and LSF. My Tech has both features. And I love both.

Regards, Jim
Old 09-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbawden
You said "I could spend an extra $5-$6k and get an MDX Advance. Its more car than we need but I like the idea of ACC w/ LSF but I'm not sure if I would use it...."

If you don't need the space of the MDX I personally wouldn't spend all the extra money because of one feature. If you like the MDX Adv for all the other features that come with it then I get it, but not just that one. For the record I have a '17 Adv AWD and thinks it's a great value in the luxury SUV market.
I'm not the OP. Sorry I thought your last post was responding to me. I'm not considering an RDX.