Difference on MPG between Comfort, Normal and Sport?i

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference on MPG between Comfort, Normal and Sport?i

I safely assume you would use the most gas in sport mode but how much gas would I waste/save between - Comfort, Normal and Sport mode?
Old 03-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first few weeks I drove between Sport and Normal. I made sure I had the same driving habits and went through a few full tanks for each mode. I really didn't notice much of a difference between the two modes. Maybe 1 MPG. Really that's it if that. I drive in Sport all the time now. I get between 21-25 MPG depending on what my work week looks like.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Running Sport exclusively now.
Ran Normal for the first 1,000 or so then switched to Sport and I'm keeping it. The AWD dynamics suit me better and the throttle tip in is more to my liking. I've noticed no reportable change in fuel efficiency as a result, but it's much more pleasurable to drive.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Comfort Normal Sport is the steering wheel feel feel only. (Button labeled Integrated Dynamic System)

Driving in "D" or "S" on the push button selector (Drive/Sport) that will change the transmission's habits and yes that will effect MPG.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spoiler900
Comfort Normal Sport is the steering wheel feel feel only. (Button labeled Integrated Dynamic System)

Driving in "D" or "S" on the push button selector (Drive/Sport - this is wrong. "S" is Sequential. It's also where you enter full "manual mode" by selecting gears via the paddle shifters. If a gear change is done in "S" via the paddles the transmission will not return to shifting for you until you select "D" again) that will change the transmission's habits and yes that will effect MPG.
The IDS settings are more than just steering wheel feel (Acura calls it "weight"). When you select Sport via IDS, on SH-AWD models, the vehicle will deliver more power to the outside wheels during a turn to pull the vehicle through the corner. Sport also increases throttle tip-in (responsiveness) and reduces active sound deadening to deliver more engine notes into the cabin.

Are you really an Acura Sales Consultant?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

There are 2 completely separate systems. One is the button "IDS" which is yes steering wheel feel ONLY. This cycles through Comfort/Normal/Sport as displayed in the display by the speedometer. . The second is if you push the "D/S" button on the push button gear selector. That system does what you are talking about with heightening up the senses of the SH-AWD, transmission shift mapping, throttle response, sound deadening, etc. They are TWO separate systems.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900
There are 2 completely separate systems. One is the button "IDS" which is yes steering wheel feel ONLY. This cycles through Comfort/Normal/Sport as displayed in the display by the speedometer. . The second is if you push the "D/S" button on the push button gear selector. That system does what you are talking about with heightening up the senses of the SH-AWD, transmission shift mapping, throttle response, sound deadening, etc. They are TWO separate systems.
There's no question that there's IDS and there's Sequential mode on the transmission, but MCDavis is correct in that the Sport mode in IDS also alters throttle response, sound deadening (mostly just engine noise), the steering weight, and the SHAWD torque bias. It's all laid out in the manual. Sequential mode is just holding gears until paddle shifted or you hit the limits.
The following users liked this post:
MCDavis (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by neoshi
There's no question that there's IDS and there's Sequential mode on the transmission, but MCDavis is correct in that the Sport mode in IDS also alters throttle response, sound deadening (mostly just engine noise), the steering weight, and the SHAWD torque bias. It's all laid out in the manual. Sequential mode is just holding gears until paddle shifted or you hit the limits.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Hm yeah i understand what your saying. You are right. The D/S is more focused on shift mapping. Hm, I thought to get the other things mentioned was only for "S" on the button. Confusing why Acura puts 2 sport modes for MDX. I like how the TLX's IDS is done, slightly different.