AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   Did they kill 2016+ MDX??? So Sad :( (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/did-they-kill-2016-mdx-so-sad-947053/)

bell2 06-30-2016 03:21 PM

Did they kill 2016+ MDX??? So Sad :(

My lease on my 2nd MDX (2014) is almost up so I went to dealer to sign up for the next 3 year of joy driving. I worked up all the $ so I was there just to sign the documents. Something inside me told me to take the to test drive it, since they did change the transmission and gear selector and oooo - my - god, they killed MDX. It drove HORRIBLE!! the gas response is horribly slow, you hit the gas then MDX tries to move not one, but couple gearS down before it starts accelerating. Horrible

And the gear selector buttons just finished me off, it's confusing, it's no longer ergonomic, super uncomfortable, my hand kept sliding out of handrest - just HORRIBLE! I used my gear shifter as a palm rest to control the central display. What is wrong with them?? are they not thinking at all??? Why would you do something that WILL NOT attract new people, BUT WILL REPEL your current clients???? This change can only make people NOT to buy it, crazy!!

I walked out of the dealership. Can't believe that is my last MDX :(

Super sad :(

justnspace 06-30-2016 04:20 PM

cest la vie...

Tony Pac 06-30-2016 06:02 PM

Try XC90, X5, QX60, Q7...lots of choices out there for buyers. Good luck

RDX10 07-01-2016 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 15790394)
Try XC90, X5, QX60, Q7...lots of choices out there for buyers. Good luck

What he said.

Op, I share your resentment of both the 9 speed, and the stupid un-ergonomic - non- inuitive button selector. I too think it is a major step backwards not forwards, it is technology for the hell of having technology.

But there really are MANY other options. I know that the mdx is the best combo of price, reliability, features, and handling. But there are other choices that satisfy most of those. If you don't need a third row, you have MANY options now.

You alternatively have 2 other options. One is to buy a low mileage cpo 2015 model. Option 2 is to wait a little while for the 2017 mdx hybrid with the 7 speed dual clutch. It may be even better than your current mdx.

Midnight Mystery 07-01-2016 06:03 AM

I'm not very fimiliar with the current MDXs, I've only sat in a few for a few seconds each, too big IMO...

I do NOT like the freaking button gear shift, so weird...

Ok, 9 speeds, that must be shifting constantly, I've never driven more than 6...

Ok, so I'm basically complaining...

I do love the styling as a conservative slightly sporty big crossover vehicle...

The front looks nice, then they ruined it for 2017...

I don't really know what OP is going to do...

mdx001 07-01-2016 12:19 PM

I think they keep trying and looking to increase technology in the MDX but sometimes it seems to be a backwards venture. I saw the Honda Pilot yesterday and it pretty much is a copy cat of the MDX now. I also noted it had some pretty good reviews and the top of the line was priced pretty well. This is my last MDX but it is still a popular SUV and selling very well for Acura.

RDX10 07-01-2016 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mdx001 (Post 15791092)
I think they keep trying and looking to increase technology in the MDX but sometimes it seems to be a backwards venture. I saw the Honda Pilot yesterday and it pretty much is a copy cat of the MDX now. I also noted it had some pretty good reviews and the top of the line was priced pretty well. This is my last MDX but it is still a popular SUV and selling very well for Acura.

The new pilot even has the same shawd system as the mdx now too. So there is almost no reason to buy an mdx. Visually, the pilot looks taller and possibly higher off the ground, so I am not sure how it handles compared to the mdx.

I have a problem with auto manufacturers that put technology in for the sake of technology. These buttons do not free up any space in the console. They don't surpass the function of the shifter. They don't make it any easier. The shifter provides a place to rest my hand while driving and I can do it without looking at all. I am sure the buttons also become second nature after a few days, I just couldn't wrap my head around it to be honest. All I can see is someone dropping a cup of coffee on the buttons, I can only imagine how much fun that would cost.

Lalin 07-02-2016 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by bell2 (Post 15790259)
My lease on my 2nd MDX (2014) is almost up so I went to dealer to sign up for the next 3 year of joy driving. I worked up all the $ so I was there just to sign the documents. Something inside me told me to take the to test drive it, since they did change the transmission and gear selector and oooo - my - god, they killed MDX. It drove HORRIBLE!! the gas response is horribly slow, you hit the gas then MDX tries to move not one, but couple gearS down before it starts accelerating. Horrible

And the gear selector buttons just finished me off, it's confusing, it's no longer ergonomic, super uncomfortable, my hand kept sliding out of handrest - just HORRIBLE! I used my gear shifter as a palm rest to control the central display. What is wrong with them?? are they not thinking at all??? Why would you do something that WILL NOT attract new people, BUT WILL REPEL your current clients???? This change can only make people NOT to buy it, crazy!!

I couldn't agree with you more! How can Acura put those stupid buttons when the car/brand is supposed to be sporty!
For me, that feature and the dual screen infotainment setup are deal killers and will have to move away from the brand when I replace my 2013 MDX. The problem is that I hate the RX new front grill, the Q5 is expensive and lacks many bell and whistles and the MKX does not seem to be on par with reliability and customer service

bell2 07-02-2016 07:06 AM

I started a petition. i know it's probably will not help but let's try anyway

Petition Bring Back Gear Shifter Stick to Acura!!!

LuvMyTSX 07-02-2016 07:42 AM

I was unsure of the gear selector buttons at first, but now I've gotten used to them and I like them. It took about a month for me to stop trying to rest my hand where the lever used to be. I used to whack my traveler mug on the shifter in my RDX all the time, so I do like the little bit of extra space the buttons provide. You do get used to things, even if they seem crazy different at first.

RDX10 07-02-2016 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lalin (Post 15791538)
I couldn't agree with you more! How can Acura put those stupid buttons when the car/brand is supposed to be sporty!
For me, that feature and the dual screen infotainment setup are deal killers and will have to move away from the brand when I replace my 2013 MDX. The problem is that I hate the RX new front grill, the Q5 is expensive and lacks many bell and whistles and the MKX does not seem to be on par with reliability and customer service

The new rx in f-sport trim in black looks amazing. Maybe because it is black, the grille doesn't look as offensive, I am not sure. But I REALLY like the rear end and the rear 3/4 view.

The new mkx is a REALLY solid choice. They didn't hold back with features and tech. I am especially fond of the 2.7l twin turbo V6. Something you would never ever see in a standard acura. Go test drive it, and see how you like it. I also hear they have something called black label service in the states. Not available in Canada unfortunately.

neo1738 07-02-2016 07:20 PM

Am I the only one who likes the look and feel of the button shifter? Having 7k miles on my MDX I would say the buttons are a nice look and feel fine. I normally used the shifter as a hand rest in the past as well but this was surprisingly quick to get over. It is paving the way for auto parking break and the like. Either way I like it. Now the 9 spd tranny that is def slow to go when trying to move lanes etc but otherwise rides very nice. Having come from a Turbo RDX I'm used to some lag before going so I suppose it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Overall still LOVE my MDX. These are really minor issues for most but only you can decide how major it has to be.

RDX10 07-03-2016 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by neo1738 (Post 15791752)
Am I the only one who likes the look and feel of the button shifter? Having 7k miles on my MDX I would say the buttons are a nice look and feel fine. I normally used the shifter as a hand rest in the past as well but this was surprisingly quick to get over. It is paving the way for auto parking break and the like. Either way I like it. Now the 9 spd tranny that is def slow to go when trying to move lanes etc but otherwise rides very nice. Having come from a Turbo RDX I'm used to some lag before going so I suppose it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Overall still LOVE my MDX. These are really minor issues for most but only you can decide how major it has to be.

Everyone has different opinions and likes/dislikes. I am sure there is a huge number of people who like the buttons like yourself. I see the button selector in a number of super cars, so to see it in a 7 passenger family crossover is pretty damn cool.

I just really like a normal shifter. Could I get used to the buttons after some time? Yes absolutely. The somewhat surprising 9-speed on the other hand, I could have done without. Surprising in that it is like a lucky draw if you will get power asap of if it will take a couple seconds too long. The 9 speed has a couple dog clutches incorporated to allow it to fit in such a small package. So if you happen to be on a gear just above the dog clutch, it takes some time, but if you are lucky and on a gear above another normal gear, power is pretty snappy. I beleive the 4th and 8th gears use the dog clutches.

E92Vancouver 07-04-2016 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by bell2 (Post 15790259)

It is time for the Volvo XC90. Do it to be cool. Do it to be cool.

Midnight Mystery 07-04-2016 06:33 AM

I'd advise you to avoid any European automakers... They have gotten better in terms of reliability, but it's not up to par with Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus, Consumers Reports says otherwise though, but still...

That being said, you're leasing so reliably may not even be a problem yet unless the SUV you're looking at was plagued from the start...

If you cannot live with the push button gear selector of the new MDX, go to a different automaker...

Go check out the RX350 F-Sport, as someone recommend above...

I think the Ford Explorer handles pretty well, but I don't even know...

Now here's where I think you should go... Look at the new Mazda CX-9, it looks really nice, all of the interior materials are supposed to be real, i.e. aluminum, wood, and an upgraded leather on a new trim package above GT...

Nothing else looks good right now, but Mazda has been doing really well since separating from Ford in 2012 I think...

Be ready to learn that the MDX is huge in comparison to any of these vehicles... The competition is much smaller unless you want to go full-sized or go to GMs Lambda and throw away sportiness all together...

I'm going to stop you right here, the next part is boring⤵️

Nissan and Infiniti have their Pathfinder Platnum and JX35, duh, I mean QX60 as its called now...

My sister has had a Pathfinder since August 2013 and hasn't had any problems other that both sun-visors failing last year, replaced under warranty...

As well as recalls and regular maintenance...

The ride is really good, can't speak for handling which is middle of the line from what I understand... There has been reliability issues on the early 2013 CVTs, doesn't apply to you for 2016-17 models...

Oh, it's a CVT and it isn't that great...

Lots of torque, but the RPMs tend to bounce up a bit...

End Boring Part

Really, I don't know where else to point you...

There isn't much in terms of "BIG" crossovers at this time...

Just go look at what the competition has to offer...

I hope I could help...

E92Vancouver 07-04-2016 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 15792230)
I'd advise you to avoid any European automakers... They have gotten better in terms of reliability, but it's not up to par with Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus, Consumers Reports says otherwise though, but still...

That being said, you're leasing so reliably may not even be a problem yet unless the SUV you're looking at was plagued from the start...

If you cannot live with the push button gear selector of the new MDX, go to a different automaker...

Go check out the RX350 F-Sport, as someone recommend above...

I think the Ford Explorer handles pretty well, but I don't even know...

Now here's where I think you should go... Look at the new Mazda CX-9, it looks really nice, all of the interior materials are supposed to be real, i.e. aluminum, wood, and an upgraded leather on a new trim package above GT...

Nothing else looks good right now, but Mazda has been doing really well since separating from Ford in 2012 I think...

Be ready to learn that the MDX is huge in comparison to any of these vehicles... The competition is much smaller unless you want to go full-sized or go to GMs Lambda and throw away sportiness all together...

I'm going to stop you right here, the next part is boring⤵️

Nissan and Infiniti have their Pathfinder Platnum and JX35, duh, I mean QX60 as its called now...

My sister has had a Pathfinder since August 2013 and hasn't had any problems other that both sun-visors failing last year, replaced under warranty...

As well as recalls and regular maintenance...

The ride is really good, can't speak for handling which is middle of the line from what I understand... There has been reliability issues on the early 2013 CVTs, doesn't apply to you for 2016-17 models...

Oh, it's a CVT and it isn't that great...

Lots of torque, but the RPMs tend to bounce up a bit...

End Boring Part

Really, I don't know where else to point you...

There isn't much in terms of "BIG" crossovers at this time...

Just go look at what the competition has to offer...

I hope I could help...

Nissan CVTs are awful. Avoid like the plague.

atl7 07-05-2016 01:07 AM

Yeah the most direct MDX competitor is the QX60 with the CVT, which imo is worse than the 9spd. Now it does help that I like the 9spd in my MDX. Our MDX is for my wife, who isn't an enthusiast like me but is still a little picky on her car. She did comment on the push button gear selector since it was something new to her, but now she likes not having a gear shifter in the way of drinks and is used to the buttons. As far as the 9spd, I don't think she even knows what a gear is lol, she did say the new car feels quicker than her 2010 MDX. She isn't a fan of not having a knob/switch for fan strength for HVAC, but doesn't complain about it enough to be a problem. So to the average driver, the new MDX is an improvement over the old one.

rsutoratosu 07-06-2016 09:57 AM

I'm in the same market, went to see qx60 and mdx yesterday. qx is a bit smaller, feels very tight inside. Another customer at the dealer walked up to me and told me whatever you do, do not buy the 9 gear crap.. I was like damn, even a customer is warning me

RDX10 07-06-2016 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by rsutoratosu (Post 15793868)
I'm in the same market, went to see qx60 and mdx yesterday. qx is a bit smaller, feels very tight inside. Another customer at the dealer walked up to me and told me whatever you do, do not buy the 9 gear crap.. I was like damn, even a customer is warning me

Must have been another person caught up in the 9-speed crap. This transmission is rather notorious for problems (some of which are unavoidable and inherent in the design), glitches, and electronic issues.

It has been used across quite a few brands now....I still don't understand why Honda was so willing to change over to it when they could have easily stayed with their current transmissions and perfected their own 7 or 8 speed.

atl7 07-06-2016 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by rsutoratosu (Post 15793868)

How did you like the MDX? Don't let that customer scare you off. My MDX's 9spd is perfect, zero complaints.

CTNYC 07-07-2016 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by atl7 (Post 15794149)
How did you like the MDX? Don't let that customer scare you off. My MDX's 9spd is perfect, zero complaints.

I don't own an MDX, but I had one as a loaner (9sp) for a few days -- I loved it and the transmission wasn't as jerky like the 2015 TLX i4, V6, or 2016 ILX in stop and go traffic in DC. I really loved it that I'm seriously thinking about buying/leasing one soon (We'll see if Pohanka plays ball with the leftover 2016s later this year) even though I'm a single male and have absolutely no need for an SUV.

neoshi 07-07-2016 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by CTNYC (Post 15794954)
I don't own an MDX, but I had one as a loaner (9sp) for a few days -- I loved it and the transmission wasn't as jerky like the 2015 TLX i4, V6, or 2016 ILX in stop and go traffic in DC. I really loved it that I'm seriously thinking about buying/leasing one soon (We'll see if Pohanka plays ball with the leftover 2016s later this year) even though I'm a single male and have absolutely no need for an SUV.

It's all about the flexibility!

Example:
Go to Costco, see a really cheap chest freezer unit that could totally store all the large Tuna you catch during those warm summers, and voila your SUV totally fits the box!

Ok a bit of a Southern California example, but you get my drift.

Hopefully you live in Virginia where parking is abundant and won't have to squeeze the MDX into a spot around Dupont Circle...

DBConz 07-08-2016 08:15 AM

i've been driving a 2016 MDX for a week now as a loaner. the push button gear selector seems to prevent someone from banging down gears from Drive <--> Reverse.

my GF likes it, because the shifter isnt in the way anymore when giving road head.

CTNYC 07-08-2016 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by neoshi (Post 15795232)
It's all about the flexibility!

Example:
Go to Costco, see a really cheap chest freezer unit that could totally store all the large Tuna you catch during those warm summers, and voila your SUV totally fits the box!

Ok a bit of a Southern California example, but you get my drift.

Hopefully you live in Virginia where parking is abundant and won't have to squeeze the MDX into a spot around Dupont Circle...

I do technically live in Virginia (but in Rosslyn, where the parking situation isn't much better than a lot of parts of DC proper) However, my unit has a garage spot and whenever I drive into work, I simply garage it, so at least parking wont' be too much of a hassle for me.

No matter how "flexible" I want to be, the only time in the last year I wished I had an SUV for legitimate reasons was this past weekend when the trunk of my TL was a bit small for my friends' and my luggage and cooler lol -- But I could justify it by the fact that SUVs are "safer" in the event of an accident ;)

rsutoratosu 07-08-2016 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by atl7 (Post 15794149)

I probably went to the worse dealer in the world paragon acura to take a look. I'm pretty much set on mdx. Wife just wants to check the 3rd row access on all the cars before we finalized.

I google a lot on the 9spd tranny, a lot of people didn't have problem.. plus I saw there was a new firmware that came out few months ago ?

Next step is hybrid or gas... I'm currently on a rx450h, 33mpg highway is hard to beat :) i'm gonna miss those days

DaChef320 07-08-2016 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver (Post 15792218)
It is time for the Volvo XC90. Do it to be cool. Do it to be cool.

my cousin owns one and so does his friend nothing but issues and the material feels kind of cheap

DBConz 07-08-2016 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rsutoratosu (Post 15796184)
I probably went to the worse dealer in the world paragon acura to take a look.

i bought a TL from them. awful experience, but worth the amount of money i saved from buying there.

LuvMyTSX 07-09-2016 01:21 PM

6000 miles so far on my 2016 and no transmission problems so far. I'm relieved.

Midnight Mystery 07-09-2016 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 15794142)
Must have been another person caught up in the 9-speed crap. This transmission is rather notorious for problems (some of which are unavoidable and inherent in the design), glitches, and electronic issues.

It has been used across quite a few brands now....I still don't understand why Honda was so willing to change over to it when they could have easily stayed with their current transmissions and perfected their own 7 or 8 speed.

Hopfully this is just temporary as Honda may be designing something better on their own!!!

Honda has always used Their Own transmissions in all of their vehicles, that's why it's always matched well for the egine... This saddens me a lot...

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX (Post 15796835)
6000 miles so far on my 2016 and no transmission problems so far. I'm relieved.

That was quick!!!

RDX10 07-09-2016 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 15796898)
Hopfully this is just temporary as Honda may be designing something better on their own!!!

Honda has always used Their Own transmissions in all of their vehicles, that's why it's always matched well for the egine... This saddens me a lot...

That was quick!!!

Right now honda has the 6 speed auto, 7/8 speed dct, 6 speed manual, and cvt as possibilites. The new mdx is moving to a 7 speed dct (at least so far only confirmed for the hybrid model) which is interesting to me. I wonder if they will be using it more broadly across the board with mdx and then eventually on go the rdx and tlx. I think the 9 speed was a quick patch but not the right solution.

Midnight Mystery 07-09-2016 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 15796949)
Right now honda has the 6 speed auto, 7/8 speed dct, 6 speed manual, and cvt as possibilites. The new mdx is moving to a 7 speed dct (at least so far only confirmed for the hybrid model) which is interesting to me. I wonder if they will be using it more broadly across the board with mdx and then eventually on go the rdx and tlx. I think the 9 speed was a quick patch but not the right solution.

I have the same feeling... Maybe there was a lot of pressure to upgrade to more gears, so they temporarily contracted out the ZF-9 for a "quick fix", then they'll go out and build a "real" Honda 9 speed DCT or something,..

Maybe they had plans to use the TLX 8 speed DCT, then quickly aborted after seeing the reliability issues in that vehicle, now using the ZF-9 while ironing out those issues...

They must be up to something as Honda/Acura never use generic parts and powertrains...

So I guess the 2016-2019-ish MDX will be a bit of a "black sheep" so to speak...

LuvMyTSX 07-09-2016 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery

That was quick!!!

Long commute 😝

SavageRDX 07-10-2016 10:42 PM

Damn. I love my 2016 MDX. I just leave it in Sport and it hauls ass. I actually don't mind the shift buttons, it's not a manual trans. anyways so it doesn't matter to me. It's a great car overall.

RDX10 07-10-2016 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SavageRDX (Post 15797387)
Damn. I love my 2016 MDX. I just leave it in Sport and it hauls ass. I actually don't mind the shift buttons, it's not a manual trans. anyways so it doesn't matter to me. It's a great car overall.

It is especially fun to put the mdx into sport mode and force it to hold second gear with the paddles, it really hauls some serious ass that way. I imagine with the new instant torque of the hybrid it must be really fun to drive.

iutodd 07-11-2016 08:40 AM

Honda has a 10AT that seems to be about ready for prime time.

There was also a patent for a 8 speed automatic. Not a DCT.

RDX10 07-11-2016 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 15796977)
I have the same feeling... Maybe there was a lot of pressure to upgrade to more gears, so they temporarily contracted out the ZF-9 for a "quick fix", then they'll go out and build a "real" Honda 9 speed DCT or something,..

Maybe they had plans to use the TLX 8 speed DCT, then quickly aborted after seeing the reliability issues in that vehicle, now using the ZF-9 while ironing out those issues...

They must be up to something as Honda/Acura never use generic parts and powertrains...

So I guess the 2016-2019-ish MDX will be a bit of a "black sheep" so to speak...

Yeah they were running 5 speed when everyone else was running 6 and 7 speeds. They started running 6 when everyone else had 7-8 gears. So they had to try and jump the curve and went to 9. I hope they get rid of it soon though, this thing sucks.

Originally Posted by iutodd (Post 15797520)
Honda has a 10AT that seems to be about ready for prime time.

There was also a patent for a 8 speed automatic. Not a DCT.

Yes good point, they do have a 10 speed coming up, I didn't know about the 8 speed auto though, I can almost gaurentee that is going to the next gen rdx.

iutodd 07-12-2016 07:34 AM

Here's a link to TOV talking about the 10 AT and 8 AT.

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > Strictly Technical > > Re: Honda patent application for 10-speed automatic (planetary)

RDX10 07-12-2016 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by iutodd (Post 15798564)

Thanks for this, I am excited to see where Acura goes with all of this. I know the next gen crv is growing, I wonder if they are going to put a bigger engine in.

Midnight Mystery 07-12-2016 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 15799261)
Thanks for this, I am excited to see where Acura goes with all of this. I know the next gen crv is growing, I wonder if they are going to put a bigger engine in.

I really love the current CR-V, well at least until 2015, it's ugly now...

I guess give it an optional turbo 4, and I hope they don't make it too big...

musty hustla 07-16-2016 11:31 PM

I had an MDX loaner for a few days. I'm baffled how the navigation system is actually worse than the one in my '11 TSX. It is incredibly laggy and I think the graphics are worse.

I'm beginning to think the similar interior layout of the interiors between Honda and Acura vehicles is great for loaners but terrible for buying a new car.