Couldn't be MORE displeased with the new 14 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Couldn't be MORE displeased with the new 14 MDX

I am a longtime and 10+ new Acura owner. I recently traded in my MY12 MDX Advance in for the 14 MDX SH-AWD Tech. I have owned 3 2G Mdx's (2011, 2011, 2012) I absolutely HATE it! Here's why:

-Seats are totally uncomfortable. The leather feels like freaking sandpaper. Not enough cushioning or lateral support for legs. I would have gotten the SH-AWD Advance, but they are nearly impossible to get AND I don't want an antiquated TV screen in the back and to spend $58K for an MDX.
-Steering wheel does not tilt down nearly as far as 12 MDX.
-Ergonomics are terrible. When you do find a position that you can live with, you are so far from the touchscreen, dial, and steering wheel it makes operation of anything difficult
-The wheels do not fit the look of the MDX. They are too narrow and the choices are not pleasing aesthetically (I know this is subjective)
-Quality: the leather stitching was so bad on mine they had to replace the "leather" seat covers. The seams were so poor they were raised up in places throughout the vehicle. Panels don't line up properly. Rattles all over the place.
-Sound System: does not have nearly the bass and power as the 12 MDX Advance.
-Touchscreen - don't even get me started. You have to press 2-3 times to turn a heated seat on?
-Problems: Constantly get acuralink messages that the FCW system doesn't work, the VSA & ABS doesn't work, and dealer hasn't been able to fix even with the latest firmware update
-Looks: Front and rear styling is sharp - from the side, it looks like a lifted wagon and NOT an SUV

I could go on but I'm sure I'll get flamed. Absolutely ridiculous that a $50K+ car doesn't even have power folding side mirrors. My latest problem today the car simply refuses to play my iPOD. Changed the cable, rebooted the ipod, checked the ipod. Nothing. Just states "Unsupported".

I am absolutely fed up with this car and have informed the dealer already. Actively searching for a replacement, be it a new 2013 MDX Tech or Advanced or SQ5, Q5, or ML. It's really sad as I have owned Acura products forever. Completely over Acura. They mom-ified this MDX and then executed it poorly.

Flame over.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Racer

I will say that the fuel economy is great, and I do enjoy the LED headlights. But I'd trade the headlights and fuel economy for a second to relive the comfort and likability I had in my 12 Advance. The rain sensing wipers are also a nice plus on the 14. The IDS system is very nice as well. But, all in all this evolution of the MDX is a fail for the enthusiast, and a win for soccer moms and profits for Acura. I had many TLs and I feel they ruined it. I had a couple of TSX's and they are doing away with them. The RLX is a 'nice car' but that's it. Can't begin to compete with the 5 series, A6, etc.

So disappointed. But feel a bit better after the rant.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
1. Sand paper? Really? Are you sure we aren't over exaggerating a bit? I think the new semi-smooth leather feel awesome!
Can't find a sh-awd advance? Your dealership should source one for you.
2. Id probably hate my car too if the steering wheel didnt tilt enough.
3. Ergonomics of what? Your seat? You can't be in the same position scooted up a bit?
4. You're entire post so far has been subjective but lets keep going shall we.
And 18x8 is too narrow? What do you want 9in wheels? Go buy an m6.
5. Why did you pick up a car that has such bad upholstery it had to be replaced? Do you go shopping for lemons on purpose?
6. Got me there. I never turn my stem up past 20. Never had the need to blast my music so loud I couldn't differentiate the guitar from the drums.
7. If you have issues like that you should demand a new car for fear that your ABS and VSA system isnt working properly. If you drive off the lot with it that is your own choice.
8. If you thought it looked bad why did you buy it?

Glad my $30 thousand ilx runs smoother!
The following users liked this post:
99blackhatch (09-23-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
I will say that the fuel economy is great, and I do enjoy the LED headlights. But I'd trade the headlights and fuel economy for a second to relive the comfort and likability I had in my 12 Advance. The rain sensing wipers are also a nice plus on the 14. The IDS system is very nice as well. But, all in all this evolution of the MDX is a fail for the enthusiast, and a win for soccer moms and profits for Acura. I had many TLs and I feel they ruined it. I had a couple of TSX's and they are doing away with them. The RLX is a 'nice car' but that's it. Can't begin to compete with the 5 series, A6, etc.

So disappointed. But feel a bit better after the rant.
I now drive a 2011 advance and I think I am going to keep it vs getting a 14. I do agree the seats in the gen 2 advance are awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stu's2004TL:
Fabvsix (06-18-2014), Vegas_TL04 (09-19-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I am sorry that you are so upset. Just a question though - many of the concerns that you have are typically things that you would have noticed when you test drove the car before you purchased it. Did they not bother you then? I would have noticed all of those things myself (the side profile, wheels, sound system etc) before I purchased the vehicle - after all, it's a big investment! Or were you one of those people who pre-purchased it BEFORE it arrived at the showroom???
The following 7 users liked this post by ostrich:
99blackhatch (09-23-2013), Gen4MDX (07-08-2014), hadokenuh (09-19-2013), honda_nut (09-20-2013), nj2pa2nc (09-19-2013), thunderbt3 (09-30-2013), TLtrigirl (09-19-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
If you don't like your car; dump it, sell it, trade it, or get ride of it ASAP.

Buy the ones that you really like/enjoy.

Life is short, my friend.

There is nothing more worse in life than to force yourself everyday to drive around in a vehicle that you hate so much.
Vegas_TL04 (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by usdmJON
1. Sand paper? Really? Are you sure we aren't over exaggerating a bit? I think the new semi-smooth leather feel awesome!
3. Ergonomics of what? Your seat? You can't be in the same position scooted up a bit?
5. Why did you pick up a car that has such bad upholstery it had to be replaced? Do you go shopping for lemons on purpose?
6. Got me there. I never turn my stem up past 20. Never had the need to blast my music so loud I couldn't differentiate the guitar from the drums.
7. If you have issues like that you should demand a new car for fear that your ABS and VSA system isnt working properly. If you drive off the lot with it that is your own choice.

1. Yes. Sandpaper. 400 Grit Ultra Fine. Try it out. have you sat in the new tech? Doubtful. SH-AWD Advance are very rare and hard to come by.
2. Agreed.
3. Ergonomics is a broad term used in general to describe the relationship from the position of the driver to the controls, wheel, etc. When you are 6'4" and 198lbs, "scooting the seat up a bit" doesn't solve the problem.
4. Maybe so, but I thought the purpose of a forum is discussion, opinions, comments, information, etc? Apparently not in your mind. Sounds like you don't welcome any opinions differing from your own. If you knew the vehicles, 14 tech package comes with 19x8. Yes, I believe that as a MINIMUM a vehicle of this size with AWD and in this class SHOULD have at least 19x9. The 10-13 advance was provided with 19x8.5.
5. Yes, you got me, I purposely go shopping for lemons! Really?
The demo car my dealer had only for weeks (because of delayed delivery problems from new factory) was a BASE FWD. They were taking orders off of that. The 10-13 MDX Base had pleather-like, stiff, uncomfortable seats in them. The tech package added softer leather/seats. The Advance added even softer Milano leather with ventilated seats. I had an expectation (though false) as a previous multi-MDX owner that the tech package would have nicer/better seats than the Base - I was wrong. Further, they had to source my car from the midwest since SH-AWD in the SW/Sunbelt were very hard to come by in June. So when the car was finally delivered, I was shocked at the quality of the leather and the execution of its assembly. Not having seen a 14 tech or advance, it was very disappointing. When you purchase from a manufacturer over and over again, you have a certain expectation of materials. Is it ultimately my fault I bought a car sight unseen? yes.
6. Didn't realize I was talking to a sound engineer/expert. Multiple people that rode in my 12 Advance and the 14 Tech have commented that the sound system does not sound nearly as good or powerful.
7. They have made multiple attempts to fix the car. There are LAWS in place that govern "lemons" and "buybacks." One cannot arbitrarily walk into the dealer and demand they replace a car unless they have attempted a minimum # of attempts at fixing it. So far I'm at 3. Laws vary state to state. If the dealer doesn't have to replace the car, they won't. It's common sense.
8. I assumed (again, incorrectly) that with the 19s the vehicle would look more aggressive and have a slightly higher stance. Again, only had seen a base FWD.

ILX to MDX is a massive apples to oranges comparison, so I'm not going to comment on the ILX other than to say I drove one as I was going to purchase as a commuter car. I felt the TSX was a tremendously better car and value, esp for the price point. But to each his own.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by usdmJON

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
If you don't like your car; dump it, sell it, trade it, or get ride of it ASAP.

Buy the ones that you really like/enjoy.

Life is short, my friend.

There is nothing more worse in life than to force yourself everyday to drive around in a vehicle that you hate so much.
You couldn't be more right, and I agree! Thanks. I am working on the replacement car today as we speak. It's so very disappointing and hard to accept the quality that this vehicle was delivered with. I have owned better than 12 new Acuras since 1999. Never had one problem except for a couple window regulators and a power steering pump. This new 14 reminds me of my 2002 745i that LIVED in the shop and was plagued with a new problem every day.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ostrich
I am sorry that you are so upset. Just a question though - many of the concerns that you have are typically things that you would have noticed when you test drove the car before you purchased it. Did they not bother you then? I would have noticed all of those things myself (the side profile, wheels, sound system etc) before I purchased the vehicle - after all, it's a big investment! Or were you one of those people who pre-purchased it BEFORE it arrived at the showroom???
The demo car my dealer had only for weeks (because of delayed delivery problems from new factory) was a BASE FWD. They were taking orders off of that. I had an expectation (though false) as a previous multi-MDX owner that the tech package would have nicer/better seats than the Base - I was wrong. Further, they had to source my car from the midwest since SH-AWD in the SW/Sunbelt were very hard to come by in June. So when the car was finally delivered, I was shocked at the quality of the leather and the execution of its assembly. Not having seen a 14 tech or advance, it was very disappointing. When you purchase from a manufacturer over and over again, you have a certain expectation of materials. Is it ultimately my fault I bought a car sight unseen? yes. I realize this probably sounds like a rant from someone who is picky or unrealistic. Ultimately I realize that it was foolish to not wait until the cars were more in supply to see and drive them. Lesson learned.
Also, it's quite difficult on a test drive of Base FWD to hookup your ipod and crank it up with a sales person. Also really hard to get a great feel for a car in a 20 minute test drive. Buyer's remorse sucks.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I am glad you learned the lesson.

Though you seem to flip cars pretty often going from a '11, to a '11, and to a '12. What were the reasons and what did you learn each time? If only you found something you didn't like about the car each time, my friend, you have a problem. Just saying. No offend.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I am glad you learned the lesson.

Though you seem to flip cars pretty often going from a '11, to a '11, and to a '12. What were the reasons and what did you learn each time? If only you found something you didn't like about the car each time, my friend, you have a problem. Just saying. No offend.
No problems with the Gen 2 MDXs. Had an 11 MDX Tech. Then decided I wanted a 12 TL stick. TL was in an accident. Replaced with 11 MDX Tech. Then wanted 12 MDX Advance and made me a smoking deal. Also had a couple of TSX's in there as daily drivers in addition to the MDX's. Loved the TSX's and Gen 2 MDX's. Didn't care for the 12 TL, preferred the 2007 & 2008 TL-S much more over the 12 TL. Only thing I liked better about the 12TL was power and AWD over the TL-S.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

No problems with the Gen 2 MDXs. Had an 11 MDX Tech. Then decided I wanted a 12 TL stick. TL was in an accident. Replaced with 11 MDX Tech. Then wanted 12 MDX Advance and made me a smoking deal.
That right there is your problem It's great that you can financially afford to switch cars like that. Most people don't have that luxury. But at the same time, it will hard for you to find something you really like and keep for a long time.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Racer

That right there is your problem It's great that you can financially afford to switch cars like that. Most people don't have that luxury. But at the same time, it will hard for you to find something you really like and keep for a long time.
Very true - and I can't argue that
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
-Seats are totally uncomfortable. The leather feels like freaking sandpaper. Not enough cushioning or lateral support for legs. I would have gotten the SH-AWD Advance, but they are nearly impossible to get AND I don't want an antiquated TV screen in the back and to spend $58K for an MDX.
Nearly impossible to get != impossible. If you wanted the seats in the advance you should have waited and got an advance. I will say that I think it was a shitty move to have lower quality seats on the lower trim levels as even my 2012 base TSX had perforated seats. However, knowing I wanted perforated in the MDX was one of many reasons I wanted an advance.

Tilts down plenty for me and telescopes out further than the competition.

-Ergonomics are terrible. When you do find a position that you can live with, you are so far from the touchscreen, dial, and steering wheel it makes operation of anything difficult
I have noticed that something does seem a little off about the car. I feel like the driver doors are very short or are shifted towards the front of the car or something. With my initial position I found myself staring at the pillar between the doors when I turned my head to the left. I have finally found a comfortable position for myself (6'2" 200lbs), but it did take a bit of finagling.

-The wheels do not fit the look of the MDX. They are too narrow and the choices are not pleasing aesthetically (I know this is subjective)
The wheels on the tech are horrid looking. I like the wheels on the base model better than the tech. Another reason why I went with the advance which look great.

-Quality: the leather stitching was so bad on mine they had to replace the "leather" seat covers. The seams were so poor they were raised up in places throughout the vehicle. Panels don't line up properly. Rattles all over the place.
I've only owned the car for 5 days now, but no quality issues so far.

I have the bass at +2 and subwoofer at +2 now and find it pretty good. I had the sub at +7 and had to turn it down. Again, the advance has a better system though.

-Touchscreen - don't even get me started. You have to press 2-3 times to turn a heated seat on?
It's one extra press. For heated and cooled seats in other cars you normally press once for full blast and then additional times to turn it down. I actually like how the mdx starts low. So for me it's the same number of presses. Additionally, the MDX has auto cooling and heating which I find to work quite well, requiring 0 presses. Never seen auto before.

-Problems: Constantly get acuralink messages that the FCW system doesn't work, the VSA & ABS doesn't work, and dealer hasn't been able to fix even with the latest firmware update
Never seen a acuralink message yet.

-Looks: Front and rear styling is sharp - from the side, it looks like a lifted wagon and NOT an SUV
I actually like it from the side the best Back a close second.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by syntax53
Nearly impossible to get != impossible. If you wanted the seats in the advance you should have waited and got an advance. I will say that I think it was a shitty move to have lower quality seats on the lower trim levels as even my 2012 base TSX had perforated seats. However, knowing I wanted perforated in the MDX was one of many reasons I wanted an advance.

MY DEALERSHIP HAS ONLY TAKEN DELIVERY OF 1 ADVANCE THAT WAS PRESOLD. THEY CANNOT GET THEIR HANDS ON ONE. DEALERS THAT HAVE THEM WON'T LET THEM GO. ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON THE DOWNGRADE OF THE LEATHER. VERY SHITTY. IT'S ALSO RIDICULOUS BECAUSE ACURA KNOWS THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN A 50K CAR WANT AND EXPECT VENTILATED SEATS. SO THEY FORCE YOU TO BUY THE TOP PACKAGE WITH A TV TO GET VENTILATED SEATS. I'VE READ PLENTY OF BAD PRESS ABOUT THE OPTION PACKAGE STRUCTURES ON THE 14. PLUS, IF I CAN ADD REAR PARKING SENSORS AS AN ACCESSORY, WHY NOT FRONT? DON'T EVEN GO TO ACURA CANADA'S WEBSITE. THEY HAVE A BASE MDX. MDX NAVI. MDX TECH THAT HAS MILANO LEATHER AND HEATED STEERING WHEEL, AUTO LEVELING HEADLIGHTS, ETC. THEN THE ELITE THAT ACTUALLY HAS REAL WOOD, 360 SURROUND CAMERA, HEADLIGHT WASHERS.

Tilts down plenty for me and telescopes out further than the competition.

I have noticed that something does seem a little off about the car. I feel like the driver doors are very short or are shifted towards the front of the car or something. With my initial position I found myself staring at the pillar between the doors when I turned my head to the left. I have finally found a comfortable position for myself (6'2" 200lbs), but it did take a bit of finagling.

I HAVE ADJUSTED, UPON ADJUSTED THE SEAT. IF I GET TO WHERE LEGS ARE COMFORTABLE, I'M SO FAR FROM THE STEERING WHEEL IT'S RIDICULOUS - AND THEN THE B PILLAR IS TOTALLY IN THE WAY. THEN YOU ARE SO FAR FROM THE TOUCH SCREEN AND CONTROL KNOB IT'S RIDICULOUS.

The wheels on the tech are horrid looking. I like the wheels on the base model better than the tech. Another reason why I went with the advance which look great.

SO TRUE! I THINK THE BASE 14 WHEELS 18'S LOOK WAY BETTER THAN THE TECH 19'S. STILL HAVE NOT SEEN THE ADVANCE 19'S IN PERSON

I've only owned the car for 5 days now, but no quality issues so far.

MINE STARTED 2 WEEKS IN AND HAVEN'T STOPPED. VSA/ABS/FCW FAILURES EVERY DAY. HAD SEVERAL FIRMWARE UPGRADES. DRIVER WINDOW BROKE TWICE, RATTLES FIERCELY. PASSENGER FRONT SPEAKER BLOWN/RATTLES. IPOD WON'T WORK NOW. NAV SYSTEM LOCKS UP, REBOOTS. TOUCH SCREEN GETS CONFUSED/LOST/FROZEN. SEAT SEAMS TERRIBLE.

I have the bass at +2 and subwoofer at +2 now and find it pretty good. I had the sub at +7 and had to turn it down. Again, the advance has a better system though.
ADVANCE ONLY HAS TWO MORE SPEAKERS ON THE ROOF FOR EXTRA 40 WATTS. NOTHING TO DO WITH BASS OR POWER REALLY.

It's one extra press. For heated and cooled seats in other cars you normally press once for full blast and then additional times to turn it down. I actually like how the mdx starts low. So for me it's the same number of presses. Additionally, the MDX has auto cooling and heating which I find to work quite well, requiring 0 presses. Never seen auto before.

IT'S NOT FUN TO TRY AND TURN YOUR HEATED SEAT (OR VENTILATED) WHEN YOU ARE GOING 75 MPH DOWN THE HIGHWAY AND BUMPS ARE OCCURING AND TRYING TO PUT YOUR FINGER EXACTLY IN THE RIGHT SPOT. NOT TO MENTION IF YOU WEAR POLARIZED SUNGLASSES YOU GET HUGE BROWN AND BLACK SPLOTCHES ALL OVER BOTH SCREENS. DIDN'T ACURA STUDY CONSUMER COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE INITIAL IDRIVE SYSTEM ETC? HOW BASIC FUNCTIONS SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE A BUTTON AND NOT BE BURIED INTO A MENU OR SUBMENU? I THINK THEY CAVED TO THE AUTOMOTIVE PRESS ABOUT THEIR BUTTON BITCHING.

Never seen a acuralink message yet.

I HOPE YOU NEVER DO. EVERYTIME I START MY CAR - 2 MINUTES INTO MY DRIVE I GET FCW FAILURE MESSAGE. THEN VSA FAILURE MESSAGE. THEN ABS FAILURE MESSAGE.

I actually like it from the side the best Back a close second.
OF COURSE LOOKS ARE ALWAYS SUGGESTIVE. BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEERHOLDER, RIGHT?

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 09-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree it looks a bit like a van from side view. But if you add running boards and roof rails, it will look so much better. So much that I had to install mine a week after I bought it.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Racer

I agree it looks a bit like a van from side view. But if you add running boards and roof rails, it will look so much better. So much that I had to install mine a week after I bought it.
Haven't seen one with roof rails yet. I did see one with the running boards, and IMHO I thought it made the car look even lower to the ground. But what's important is what YOU like
Old 09-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Here you go:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/2014-mdx-accessories-890169/
Vegas_TL04 (09-23-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I am a longtime and 10+ new Acura owner. I recently traded in my MY12 MDX Advance in for the 14 MDX SH-AWD Tech. I have owned 3 2G Mdx's (2011, 2011, 2012) I absolutely HATE it! Here's why:

I could go on but I'm sure I'll get flamed. Absolutely ridiculous that a $50K+ car doesn't even have power folding side mirrors. My latest problem today the car simply refuses to play my iPOD. Changed the cable, rebooted the ipod, checked the ipod. Nothing. Just states "Unsupported".

I am absolutely fed up with this car and have informed the dealer already. Actively searching for a replacement, be it a new 2013 MDX Tech or Advanced or SQ5, Q5, or ML. It's really sad as I have owned Acura products forever. Completely over Acura. They mom-ified this MDX and then executed it poorly.

Flame over.
It does seem that you bought the car because it has Acura written on the front of it and not because of the "normal" reasons for buying a car. I do not think that you are the only one though because there are many posts regarding disappointment in the 2014. I had numerous reservations regarding the 2014 and this forum seals it, my 2010 Advance is a well executed progression of the theme whereas the 2014 appears to have been ruined by the bean-counters and the attorneys.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by db22
It does seem that you bought the car because it has Acura written on the front of it and not because of the "normal" reasons for buying a car. I do not think that you are the only one though because there are many posts regarding disappointment in the 2014. I had numerous reservations regarding the 2014 and this forum seals it, my 2010 Advance is a well executed progression of the theme whereas the 2014 appears to have been ruined by the bean-counters and the attorneys.
You are mostly correct about why I bought it. As I previously said, when you are loyal to a manufacturer and dealership and they treat you well and previously have provided you with several products that are quality and well executed, you develop an expectation (be it correct or incorrect).
Never would I have dreamed a TSX would have better quality and comfortable 'leather' than a 50K MDX. I believe you are also correct on the bean counters - they try to pull the wool over the sheep's eyes by enticing you with all these cool things like LED headlights, etc. But Acura seems to stop short. Where is the auto leveling and active cornering on the lights? Where is a sport package with upgraded wheels/looks, etc. Hell I had cars 10 years ago that had rain sensing wipers - and Acura just now includes them? I had cars 5 years ago with keyless ignition. Acura just adds it to the MDX? Just doesn't make sense. They also try to sell you on the 'value' of all they added to the 14 MDX. However, when one takes a closer looks, it's all gimmick and poorly executed. It's fine and dandy that the car has better headlights. But then you cheapen the materials in lieu of more gadgets (that don't work or don't work properly) and you alienate your buyer. Funny thing is my sister and my mom each also bought a 2014 MDX Tech. They did NOT like the 2010-2013 as they complained about how hard it was to get in and out, it was "too high", etc. I should've known that if it appeals to my sister and mom, it wouldn't appeal to me. But; in the end, I am ultimately responsible for my decision to purchase and have clearly aimed to rectify my mistake. In retrospect, I guess I am no longer Acura's core buyer. My family has also owned several Lexus and they never appealed to me. Funny that now the new ES & LS really start appealing to me. Now my parents and sister are completely turned off by the new Lexus designs, and Acura appeals to them. HA!

The 2014 will be gone next week and I am done with Acura. It's been a long road of several TL's, MDX's, TSX's. It's a shame. I know I'll pay more going to Audi but I was very happy with my 2008 A5 and 2009 S5. I didn't have any problems, the cars had stunning looks, great features, and options stand-alone or grouped that just made sense. The SQ5 appeals to me right now. Maybe the new 15 Q7 will spark my interest as well.

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 09-20-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
If your looking to something else, you'd be amazed as to what you can get a Q7 for these days. Especially in light of the upcoming redesign. I went through the same debacle not to long ago and ended up getting a 2014 S-Line for the same price as i got quoted on 2014 sh-awd advanced with a number of accessories. Its been a month now and just under 1k miles and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Good luck with your next move!
Vegas_TL04 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Racer

I thought about the Q7, and please don't take offense, but the interior looked dated. The SQ5 has a fresher feel to me. Now the Q7 SLine is HOT looking - I'll give you that, especially with the 21's! Glad to hear you made a good choice. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The 2014 will be gone next week and I am done with Acura. It's been a long road of several TL's, MDX's, TSX's. It's a shame. I know I'll pay more going to Audi but I was very happy with my 2008 A5 and 2009 S5. I didn't have any problems, the cars had stunning looks, great features, and options stand-alone or grouped that just made sense. The SQ5 appeals to me right now. Maybe the new 15 Q7 will spark my interest as well.
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of a hit will you take between the purchase and sale price of the MDX?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought about the Q7, and please don't take offense, but the interior looked dated. The SQ5 has a fresher feel to me. Now the Q7 SLine is HOT looking - I'll give you that, especially with the 21's! Glad to hear you made a good choice. Thanks!
Looks like mdx really pissed you. Real sloppy quality work based on your descriptions. Choices that one has to make these days. Whiles I like the external design of the Q5, I drove one owned by a friend and completely wrote it of my list. I did not like the interior and the drive. Looked at the interior of the Q7 and did not even test drive it. Have a 2014 mdx elite in Canada and I will make the same choice over again. My spouse is looking at getting the new X5 early next year and that would serve as a good comparison for me as I have read some nice things abt it.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lalin
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of a hit will you take between the purchase and sale price of the MDX?
Thankfully only $4.5K...but it took some work!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by blackman
Looks like mdx really pissed you. Real sloppy quality work based on your descriptions. Choices that one has to make these days. Whiles I like the external design of the Q5, I drove one owned by a friend and completely wrote it of my list. I did not like the interior and the drive. Looked at the interior of the Q7 and did not even test drive it. Have a 2014 mdx elite in Canada and I will make the same choice over again. My spouse is looking at getting the new X5 early next year and that would serve as a good comparison for me as I have read some nice things abt it.
EVery day the more I look at this MDX I am baffled how they could get it so wrong. My newest problem this morning is the driver window is rattling violently when going down the freeway. If you roll it down while driving, it wobbles so bad it almost acts like it is going to come out! My detailer was at the office on Friday and he pointed out some things I hadn't even noticed. Half of the exterior body panels don't even line up, and there are some WIDE gaps and the gaps are not even. It's so incredibly disappointing how they could get the drive/engine/powertrain so right and everything else SO wrong! I was looking at the SQ5. The interior gets some cool extras that the Q5 doesn't get. I agree - while I LOVE the exterior look of the Q7, the interior looked far too dated for me.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
EVery day the more I look at this MDX I am baffled how they could get it so wrong. My newest problem this morning is the driver window is rattling violently when going down the freeway. If you roll it down while driving, it wobbles so bad it almost acts like it is going to come out! My detailer was at the office on Friday and he pointed out some things I hadn't even noticed. Half of the exterior body panels don't even line up, and there are some WIDE gaps and the gaps are not even. It's so incredibly disappointing how they could get the drive/engine/powertrain so right and everything else SO wrong! I was looking at the SQ5. The interior gets some cool extras that the Q5 doesn't get. I agree - while I LOVE the exterior look of the Q7, the interior looked far too dated for me.
Can we get some pictures of these seat seam quality issues and body panel issues?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cagilber
Can we get some pictures of these seat seam quality issues and body panel issues?
Sure. I have several pictures of the problems. I don't have anywhere to host them though.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Sure. I have several pictures of the problems. I don't have anywhere to host them though.
www.imageshack.us
Vegas_TL04 (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Racer

Daily AcuraLink Messages about failures

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/9475/ura4.jpg

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 09-23-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Racer

Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Racer

Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

When you check these messages, what do they say? Are they just obnoxious explanatory things about the features? Or error messages?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
When you check these messages, what do they say? Are they just obnoxious explanatory things about the features? Or error messages?
It tells you that you must go to the dealer. They are actual failures. Not informative. The 2nd Gen MDX used to deliver you daily (annoying) informative Acuralink messages. The new AcuraLink in the 14 only sends you problem notices (so far).

Dealer has twice tried to apply firmware update without success. They haven't even attempted to try and fix the problem with the ipod. My nav system freezes/reboots often. The touchscreen gets confused/lost and is slow.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Racer

There is a +1/4" gap on this panel separating the driver side fender from driver door. Also note the crease/styling line doesn't line up between the door and fender.

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 09-23-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Racer

Same situation on passenger side.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Racer

Front bumper doesn't meet fender correctly. +1/8" gap
Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Racer

Close-up of crease line not meeting properly
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Racer

I don't have any pictures of the seats as originally delivered to me. Dealer already replaced the 'leather' seat covers that had the lifted/poor/incomplete seams.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

The crease not meeting properly I can understand, that's legitimately sloppy.

The others might be done by design. Wondering how much expansion/contraction goes on with these body panels in extreme climates (looking at you Canada!) and if I recall, the MDX front doors do open quite widely and may need that freedom. Tight clearances can sometimes be a bad thing. I'm not a designer though, so I'm merely speculating.

Quick Reply: Couldn't be MORE displeased with the new 14 MDX