Notices

Could Acura sell a 70K MDX?

 
Old 06-28-2019, 06:59 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 20
Posts: 36
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could Acura sell a 70K MDX?

I was wonder if the next gen MDX comes out with all the features that on the RDX and better, (for example the traffic jam assist that Acura only offers on the RLX sport hybrid.) would it be feasible that Acura could charge 70k for an adv MDX sport hybrid/ adv MDX Shawd or MDX type-s
WTF.Acura is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 08:12 AM
  #2  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,694
Received 592 Likes on 493 Posts
My 19 sh-sh-awd MDX Adv came out to around $65,000 with all the options I put on her. Car buying service and Costco accessories discounts got prices into the mid 50s. Acura would have to up the luxury, tech, and power just to knock on the door of the luxury brands. +$70,000 SUVs depreciate way more than SUVs in the Honda Pilot/Acura MDX price range. I think the market is trending down range in the CR-V, Passport, and HR-V range compared to the upper end. Acura would sell 5X-10X more 1.5T CDXs compared to a Type-S MDX with 400hp.
mrgold35 is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 38,436
Received 5,938 Likes on 4,760 Posts
Sure why not



Would anyone buy it is a different question, however.
thoiboi is online now  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:25 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 20
Posts: 36
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
My 19 sh-sh-awd MDX Adv came out to around $65,000 with all the options I put on her. Car buying service and Costco accessories discounts got prices into the mid 50s. Acura would have to up the luxury, tech, and power just to knock on the door of the luxury brands. +$70,000 SUVs depreciate way more than SUVs in the Honda Pilot/Acura MDX price range. I think the market is trending down range in the CR-V, Passport, and HR-V range compared to the upper end. Acura would sell 5X-10X more 1.5T CDXs compared to a Type-S MDX with 400hp.
Isn’t the the CDX based on the HR-V platform which has like a twist beam suspension. I would think Acura would have to shrink the the RDX platform because if they just import the CDX from China without an interior and exterior change while it’s still based on the HR-V it would get eaten alive by the new Q3, X1, UX, XC40. The current CDX doesn’t have the precision cockpit it still use the one form the civic with the touch sensitive buttons on the side. It would be a better idea to redesign the CDX before they bring it to the US market
WTF.Acura is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:26 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 20
Posts: 36
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Sure why not



Would anyone buy it is a different question, however.
I think people would but it you could option out a current MDX in the mid to high 60k region
WTF.Acura is offline  
Old 07-01-2019, 11:30 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Age: 47
Posts: 1,015
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've taken to checking MSRPs of the various Uber vehicles I ride in, just because the first time I did it I was shocked. Volvo XC90 over $100k, BMW X5 in the $80ks, Escalade almost $100k, even a Chevy Suburban goes for $70k!

In my opinion the MDX is already competitive with if not superior to those vehicles in many (most) respects, so if the marketplace priced just based on me, I'd absolutely pay more for an MDX than any of those other vehicles.
DJ Iceman is offline  
Old 07-01-2019, 12:45 PM
  #7  
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)
iTrader: (1)
 
gatrhumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 39
Posts: 33,733
Received 1,210 Likes on 814 Posts
Turbo V6 or V8, massaging seats, rear ventilated seats, and you might be knocking on the door to $70K.
gatrhumpy is online now  
Old 07-01-2019, 01:00 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Type34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,133
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by WTF.Acura View Post
Would it be feasible that Acura could charge 70k for an adv MDX sport hybrid/ adv MDX Shawd or MDX type-s
I think the way you stated your question, yes it's possible and just a matter of time. But you stated it properly because it's a $50K-ish car that creeps into $70K territory with package / options.

If you asked if Acura could sell an MDX (or another SUV) starting at $70K, I'd say the answer is no, not long-term. It's about brand identity at the $70K+ region and Acura is not in that brand category. If you argue that Tahoe and Suburban survive in that upper echelon, it's because "Tahoe" and "Suburban" have more brand equity than "Chevrolet".

And I think Acura is comfortable in its luxury niche and as a loyal Acura owner, I'm fine with Acura's position as a value-packed luxury automaker. I think they're the best value in the marketplace.
Type34 is offline  
Old 07-06-2019, 06:42 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,126
Received 254 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by WTF.Acura View Post
Isn’t the the CDX based on the HR-V platform which has like a twist beam suspension. I would think Acura would have to shrink the the RDX platform because if they just import the CDX from China without an interior and exterior change while it’s still based on the HR-V it would get eaten alive by the new Q3, X1, UX, XC40. The current CDX doesn’t have the precision cockpit it still use the one form the civic with the touch sensitive buttons on the side. It would be a better idea to redesign the CDX before they bring it to the US market
Acura doesn’t have a plan to bring CDX to North America for now. I think they will bring it one day with smaller RDX engine/platform rather than HRV.

Its a good segment to introduce CDX. But Acura can’t screw up like Infiniti. Look at the fate of QX30
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 07-06-2019, 05:51 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Age: 31
Posts: 276
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman View Post
I've taken to checking MSRPs of the various Uber vehicles I ride in, just because the first time I did it I was shocked. Volvo XC90 over $100k, BMW X5 in the $80ks, Escalade almost $100k, even a Chevy Suburban goes for $70k!

In my opinion the MDX is already competitive with if not superior to those vehicles in many (most) respects, so if the marketplace priced just based on me, I'd absolutely pay more for an MDX than any of those other vehicles.
Sure, you can option those cars up to sky high prices where they have features well above and beyond what a fully optioned MDX has. However, if you compare like-to-like, the premium for an XC90 or X5 is a few thousand, not tens of thousands.
fiatlux is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mikeucla
Member Cars for Sale
6
08-29-2012 04:52 PM
kandwsmom
1G & 2G MDX Discussion (2001-2013)
14
12-01-2011 03:37 PM
spoiler900
Member Cars for Sale
1
04-28-2010 08:32 AM
legendguy
First Generation TSX Discussion (2004-2008)
28
11-19-2005 03:29 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could Acura sell a 70K MDX?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.