Can't Decide: 15 MDX Base AWD vs Tech FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:36 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Decide: 15 MDX Base AWD vs Tech FWD?

(Trading in my '08 RDX AWD) Since they are both in my price range, trying to decide between a 2015 MDX Base with AWD or 2015 MDX Tech with FWD.

I live in South Texas where it snows once every 100 years and about average rainfall. I hate the navi and voice recognition in my '08 Acura and usually use Google Maps instead, but I imagine system has improved since '08.

I just can't decide between the two. Help!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 AM
10th Gear

Believe me, you'll still be using Google Maps with the 2015. :-)
Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Tech also brings with it other stuff, like ELS audio. SH-AWD is also more than just AWD...it improves handling. So, it up to your priorities.

IMHO, life is short...get TECH AWD.

And yeah, i still use my iPhone for navigation....
Old 12-30-2014, 07:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Unless you need to tow 3500lbs to 5000lbs, the tech would give you the most bang for the buck in the south.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Tigmd99
Tech also brings with it other stuff, like ELS audio. SH-AWD is also more than just AWD...it improves handling. So, it up to your priorities.

If I could get close to some of the deals I see in this forum, I would definitely go for both.

Do y'all find the lane change warnings useful? Didn't even notice it in test drive.

Also, this is a trivial question but on the base models or when you're not using nav, what displays on the top screen? Seems silly to have two screens with the exact same info.

Thanks so much for answering my questions!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm shopping for an MDX as well and am trying to make a similar decision, but more with regards to tech or non tech. The only options that I would consider paying more for in the tech package is the Blind Spot Warning and Forward Collision Warning. The Lane Departure was pretty useless for me (and annoying, so I would like turn it off anyway). The other features such as navigation and upgraded sound system isn't something I would want to pay extra for, but they lumped it all together. So, for now, the extra $4k for tech package isn't really worth it to me, at least for the few features that I would have wanted to get.

Originally Posted by longhorntx
If I could get close to some of the deals I see in this forum, I would definitely go for both.

Do y'all find the lane change warnings useful? Didn't even notice it in test drive.

Also, this is a trivial question but on the base models or when you're not using nav, what displays on the top screen? Seems silly to have two screens with the exact same info.

Thanks so much for answering my questions!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Racer

Top display can display: time/date, navigation, audio selection, and phone calls.

Blind spot has been amazing for me...never had a car with it...but love it!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Don't buy a FWD MDX. When driven at anything more than slow the AWD is superbly more adept in all handling parameters. Not only that it has better traction in all circumstances. If you are thinking of a FWD one buy an odyssey instead, a lot more space, just as comfortable and the same or better tech. If you are going to tow anything the AWD is vastly superior too. The AWD tech is the bargain of the entire lineup. You get all the essentials of the Touring for a significantly smaller price.

Again just to make it patently clear DO NOT BUY A FWD MDX its a silly alternative to a much more useful and just as comfortable and equally handling Odyssey.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced

You mentioned the towing is better with AWD than in FWD. Can you elaborate? I thought they were the same in terms of tow capacity.

Originally Posted by RL06tech
Don't buy a FWD MDX. When driven at anything more than slow the AWD is superbly more adept in all handling parameters. Not only that it has better traction in all circumstances. If you are thinking of a FWD one buy an odyssey instead, a lot more space, just as comfortable and the same or better tech. If you are going to tow anything the AWD is vastly superior too. The AWD tech is the bargain of the entire lineup. You get all the essentials of the Touring for a significantly smaller price.

Again just to make it patently clear DO NOT BUY A FWD MDX its a silly alternative to a much more useful and just as comfortable and equally handling Odyssey.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have owned 3 mdx's and I wouldn't buy one without sh-awd. It's one of those things that are there when you need it. The Blind Spot warning is great. I have never had it before but now I am more aware of what is next to me. I think if you contact some dealers by email you could offer $45,000 and find one who would sell it. I would start at $44,500 and hold there until the end of the month and see what happens. Just don't get caught buying any extras. The awd with tech is the way to go if you can swing it.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 PM
3rd Gear

Blind spot warning system can be very useful on MDX, since it's a rather wide car, even with your head turned, there still is a large 'blind area' behind C pillar.

I believe you won't find much use of AWD in south Texas anyway. Though SH-AWD is what makes Acura stands out.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:02 PM
9th Gear

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely leaning towards AWD as of now. Still on the fence about tech package. Waiting for dealer to get some more stock in.

Also now that I have to wait a while, I've been looking more and more at the new Land Rover Discovery Sport. Dealer said coming out late February. Hmmm
Old 12-30-2014, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Are the AWD base models very high in demand? Doesn't seem like many dealerships carry it. Or, it is just one of the configurations that isn't as popular?

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely leaning towards AWD as of now. Still on the fence about tech package. Waiting for dealer to get some more stock in.

Also now that I have to wait a while, I've been looking more and more at the new Land Rover Discovery Sport. Dealer said coming out late February. Hmmm
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 PM
9th Gear

Dealer told me they don't get many AWD since there isn't a high demand in Texas and I have to wait about a month for an AWD base to come in. They claim 9 out of 10 buyers get FWD. Don't know about that stat.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Advanced

I see plenty of the AWD with Tech or more at dealerships, but not much of the AWD base models.

Dealer told me they don't get many AWD since there isn't a high demand in Texas and I have to wait about a month for an AWD base to come in. They claim 9 out of 10 buyers get FWD. Don't know about that stat.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by paigoomein
I see plenty of the AWD with Tech or more at dealerships, but not much of the AWD base models.
I would imagine that this is true...most who buy base want to keep price low (as possible)...thus, most would opt for FWD.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:36 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Due to the fact that both the FWD and the AWD MDX's are having the identical 290hp V6 engine, the FWD will be faster than the AWD off the line (dry roads) and in going straight (dry roads), because of :

-- the FWD is 230 lbs lighter in curb weight than the AWD,
-- the FWD has more usable hp, without the parasitic gear loss incurred by the extra AWD mechanics.

However, the AWD will runaway from the FWD when going around curves and corners, due to the better AWD cornering traction and the thicker set of suspension sway bars.

Especially in the wet and on snow/ice, the FWD is no match for the AWD's four wheel traction capability.

The best scenario would be the AWD to have 20-30 more hp than the FWD, in order to compensate for the AWD's excess curb weight and parasitic gear loss. Then the AWD would be able to outrun the FWD in all dry/wet conditions, whether it is starting off the line, going straight, or going around corners.

But very unfortunately, the AWD MDX doesn't.

Thus, if the geographic location has hardly any rain, then the FWD MDX is more than sufficient.

But if rain or snow/ice is the norm, then the AWD MDX is the only logical choice.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:39 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If life is short philosophy is so important, then don't buy an Acura.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Due to the fact that both the FWD and the AWD MDX's are having the identical 290hp V6 engine, the FWD will be faster than the AWD off the line (dry roads) and in going straight (dry roads), because of :

-- the FWD is 230 lbs lighter in curb weight than the AWD,
-- the FWD has more usable hp, without the parasitic gear loss incurred by the extra AWD mechanics.

However, the AWD will runaway from the FWD when going around curves and corners, due to the better AWD cornering traction and the thicker set of suspension sway bars.

Especially in the wet and on snow/ice, the FWD is no match for the AWD's four wheel traction capability.

The best scenario would be the AWD to have 20-30 more hp than the FWD, in order to compensate for the AWD's excess curb weight and parasitic gear loss. Then the AWD would be able to outrun the FWD in all dry/wet conditions, whether it is starting off the line, going straight, or going around corners.

But very unfortunately, the AWD MDX doesn't.

Thus, if the geographic location has hardly any rain, then the FWD MDX is more than sufficient.

But if rain or snow/ice is the norm, then the AWD MDX is the only logical choice.
Sorry but SH-AWD is not magic. Go take it around a slippery or snow curve at speed... Make sure your insurance payment is current.

FWD is more than adequate in snow states. RWD is the main problem but manageable.

The SH-AWD pedestal is way too high. Back to Earth, people.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 AM
Instructor

That statement drips with hyperbole. And borders on ridiculous. Plus the better traction is negligible and likely nonexistent in most circumstances. Again SHAWD is not magic.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LongBallLarry
If life is short philosophy is so important, then don't buy an Acura.
What should you buy then? Help me out.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:44 AM
Racer

Sorry but SH-AWD is not magic. Go take it around a slippery or snow curve at speed... Make sure your insurance payment is current.

FWD is more than adequate in snow states. RWD is the main problem but manageable.

MDX SH-AWD system test:

Last edited by Tigmd99; 01-02-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by paigoomein
You mentioned the towing is better with AWD than in FWD. Can you elaborate? I thought they were the same in terms of tow capacity.
FWD is 3500lbs. AWD is 5000lbs. AWD is better simply because the power distribution is shifted around to maintain much better traction and stability while towing. Note for the 5000 bs you require the transmission oil cooler.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Racer

Doesn't SH-AWD models have some sort of trailer stabilizing programming? I thought that i read that somewhere.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Pro

It depends where you live, up north its the opposite. Don't let the dealer shove you a model you don't want probably because its just sitting on the lot. There are a ton of MDX's in the market, order what you want, aside from the touring and navigation models you should get any other one in less than a mth. The FWD MDX is simply a marketing ploy for those that simply hate the idea of a minivan. Personally, if an SHAWD minivan existed I would buy it over the MDX any day. An odyssey is twice the cargo and people carrier than an MDX is.

Last edited by RL06tech; 01-02-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Advanced

I agree. My preference was for the Odyssey just in terms of family-friendly features, practicality, spaciousness, comfort, and price-point. I felt like I pulled a leg muscle when trying to get in and out of the third row seat in the MDX at the dealership.

Wife wanted the MDX because she feels better sitting higher up from a visibility perspective. From that aspect I like the Odyssey better as well--you do sit higher up than in a sedan, but not so much that your center of gravity is significantly higher (I feel less secure when changing lanes or making turns).

At the end of the day, since it was going to be my wife's primary car, she needs to feel comfortable with driving it. The Odyssey was just a bit too large for her taste (about 1 ft longer than the MDX).

It depends where you live, up north its the opposite. Don't let the dealer shove you a model you don't want probably because its just sitting on the lot. There are a ton of MDX's in the market, order what you want, aside from the touring and navigation models you should get any other one in less than a mth. The FWD MDX is simply a marketing ploy for those that simply hate the idea of a minivan. Personally, if an SHAWD minivan existed I would buy it over the MDX any day. An odyssey is twice the cargo and people carrier than an MDX is.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

I too agree that the SH-AWD is not magic, especially when coupled with the shitty OEM all-season tires in snow and on ice.

However, when paired with some dedicated high performance winter tires, the SH-AWD will significantly raise the handling limits in the wet/snow/ice, and will do wonders around slippery and snowy curves; as long as the driver doesn't drive the way as if the MDX is on dry roads.

The only issue is braking performance.

Even with winter tires, an AWD vehicle will slow down or stop in the exact same way as a FWD/RWD vehicle also with winter tires, and SH-AWD is no exception.

SH-AWD excels in getting the vehicle going and in attacking curves/corners, but is no better than 2wd vehicles in stopping or slowing down.

The key to high performance driving is to "know your vehicle's limits".

With dedicated winter tires, even a FWD vehicle can run rings around an AWD vehicle that is equipped only with all-season tires, in the snow and on ice.

I keep telling members how importance it is for tire choice.

No matter how good it is the factory suspension tuning, and how advanced it is the torque-vectoring AWD system, it all comes down to the 4 small patches of tire rubber that come in contact with the roads.

Please read my review on this high performance winter tires. The combination of SH-AWD and high-perf winter tires is virtually invincible on snow/ice, as long as the ground clearance will allow. But ground clearance is one that the MDX is particularity excel in.

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...in-pa4-879471/

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 01-02-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:23 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
My RDX and MDX were my first awd vehicles after living in the southwest most of my life. Mostly travel from TX to Cali and far as Utah or Colorado all 4 seasons. I still don't get full use from the sh-awd system 99% of the time 12 months out of the year. I put around 15,000 -20,000 miles per year on my vehicles avg. The tech and adv features get used more than the sh-awd system. Don't get me wrong, I love sh-awd and I do push my RDX/MDX to see the little bars on the M.I.D. move when I hit the corners. The downside can be the added vehicle weight, extra rear tire wear, decrease mpg, and you sometimes have to hit corners 10-20 mph faster to turn awd into sh-awd.

Unless you are planning to tow +3500lbs, sh-awd in the southwest is not a requirement like other states with real 4 seasons. Around here, if you need awd to drive the local streets, the schools/work is usually shut down anyways. I would lean toward the available technology first because that will get more use than sh-awd on a daily basis. My BSI, CMBS, ELS, Navi and ACC got used a lot on my +24hr drive to/from ABQ to LA over X-mas holiday on my 11 MDX. The added capabilities of 'sh' of the awd or even the awd was needed way less than that or even needed (even with +8 inches of fresh snow in Flagstaff with Conti DWS tires).

Last edited by mrgold35; 01-03-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Cute video but it is a staged demonstration by Honda. See how it says "Temple of VTEC" in the corner? It is easy to make competitors fail if you are the administrator of the demo. Was traction control on (looks like Audi's was "off"!, what type of tires were used (because a FWD with winter tires easily goes up the hill also), type of test chosen will lend itself best to showcase specific strength of AWD system, etc, etc, etc.

I hope you are smart enough to understand that demonstrations are staged and stacked in the favor of who is conducting them. If Audi were to administer the test, they would make sure to give it every advantage and competitors every disadvantage.

To believe the quattro is so inferior to SH-AWD is akin to believing in Santa. SH-AWD is a great system but it isn't magic and it isn't superior in snow.

FYI - Easter bunny isn't real either.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I too agree that the SH-AWD is not magic, especially when coupled with the shitty OEM all-season tires in snow and on ice.

However, when paired with some dedicated high performance winter tires, the SH-AWD will significantly raise the handling limits in the wet/snow/ice, and will do wonders around slippery and snowy curves; as long as the driver doesn't drive the way as if the MDX is on dry roads.

The only issue is braking performance.

Even with winter tires, an AWD vehicle will slow down or stop in the exact same way as a FWD/RWD vehicle also with winter tires, and SH-AWD is no exception.

SH-AWD excels in getting the vehicle going and in attacking curves/corners, but is no better than 2wd vehicles in stopping or slowing down.

The key to high performance driving is to "know your vehicle's limits".

With dedicated winter tires, even a FWD vehicle can run rings around an AWD vehicle that is equipped only with all-season tires, in the snow and on ice.

I keep telling members how importance it is for tire choice.

No matter how good it is the factory suspension tuning, and how advanced it is the torque-vectoring AWD system, it all comes down to the 4 small patches of tire rubber that come in contact with the roads.

Please read my review on this high performance winter tires. The combination of SH-AWD and high-perf winter tires is virtually invincible on snow/ice, as long as the ground clearance will allow. But ground clearance is one that the MDX is particularity excel in.

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...in-pa4-879471/
Good post on tire selection. People underestimate the importance of winter tires on snow and overestimate the effectiveness of AWD alone.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Racer

Cute video but it is a staged demonstration by Honda. See how it says "Temple of VTEC" in the corner? It is easy to make competitors fail if you are the administrator of the demo. Was traction control on (looks like Audi's was "off"!, what type of tires were used (because a FWD with winter tires easily goes up the hill also), type of test chosen will lend itself best to showcase specific strength of AWD system, etc, etc, etc.

I hope you are smart enough to understand that demonstrations are staged and stacked in the favor of who is conducting them. If Audi were to administer the test, they would make sure to give it every advantage and competitors every disadvantage.

To believe the quattro is so inferior to SH-AWD is akin to believing in Santa. SH-AWD is a great system but it isn't magic and it isn't superior in snow.

FYI - Easter bunny isn't real either.
Prove it. Show me Audi's system outperforming Acura's. Easy to do i am sure.

BTW, you may want to learn more about TC vs. stability control vs. torque/power distribution before calling others out...HINT: i am no stranger to AWD/4wd systems.

EXPLAIN to me how Quattro is better than SH-AWD. Give me some theories of yours. Tell me the benefits of Quattro over SH-AWD.

PLEASE educate me.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 AM
Instructor

Prove it. Show me Audi's system outperforming Acura's. Easy to do i am sure.

BTW, you may want to learn more about TC vs. stability control vs. torque/power distribution before calling others out...HINT: i am no stranger to AWD/4wd systems.

EXPLAIN to me how Quattro is better than SH-AWD. Give me some theories of yours. Tell me the benefits of Quattro over SH-AWD.

PLEASE educate me.
LOL at 'prove it'. How about you prove it...

You posted a video that is obviously stacked in favor of the MDX and left it as 'proof' so I doubt you know much about AWD nor icy condition traction factors.

SHAWD isn't meant to be a slippery condition champion. It is developed for better handling on dry conditions. I am very well versed in AWD systems and can tell within a second if someone is being an internet genius about it. You exposed yourself to the wrong person and got caught.

Keep playing that video and keep believing that SHAWD is that much of a better performer in icy conditions. LOL, you really believe that?!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:42 AM
Racer

LOL at 'prove it'. How about you prove it...

You posted a video that is obviously stacked in favor of the MDX and left it as 'proof' so I doubt you know much about AWD nor icy condition traction factors.

SHAWD isn't meant to be a slippery condition champion. It is developed for better handling on dry conditions. I am very well versed in AWD systems and can tell within a second if someone is being an internet genius about it. You exposed yourself to the wrong person and got caught.

Keep playing that video and keep believing that SHAWD is that much of a better performer in icy conditions. LOL, you really believe that?!
LOL...ahhh, can't tell me one thing why Audi's quattro is better than SH-AWD?????? Cat caught your tongue BigL??

Was traction control on (looks like Audi's was "off"!)

I am very well versed in AWD systems

Ok...let's play some more...WHY do you think the Video turned OFF traction control on Quattro? Why do you think that?

Can you turn off traction control on Quattro? Or do you mean turn off stability control? Do you know the difference?!

Are the differentials open on Audi's system? If so, how are torque routed to each wheel?

Once you answer that via googling ( ), now, explain to me how that is superior to SH-AWD. By now, you probably realize your error....

Why do you think FWD with snow tires will make it up the hill? NOTE: in the video, the LEFT side of the car has NO traction. ONLY the right side has traction.

These are SIMPLE QUESTIONS that surely a person well versed in AWD (as YOU claimed) can answer.

I am sure Larry will come back with some more insults...but let's play with facts only larry. Cat got your tongue?

Background on me Larry boy: i have been in the 4wd / AWD business a long long time....

Last edited by Tigmd99; 01-06-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:38 AM
Instructor

LOL...ahhh, can't tell me one thing why Audi's quattro is better than SH-AWD?????? Cat caught your tongue BigL??

Ok...let's play some more...WHY do you think the Video turned OFF traction control on Quattro? Why do you think that?

Can you turn off traction control on Quattro? Or do you mean turn off stability control? Do you know the difference?!

Are the differentials open on Audi's system? If so, how are torque routed to each wheel?

Once you answer that via googling ( ), now, explain to me how that is superior to SH-AWD. By now, you probably realize your error....

Why do you think FWD with snow tires will make it up the hill? NOTE: in the video, the LEFT side of the car has NO traction. ONLY the right side has traction.

These are SIMPLE QUESTIONS that surely a person well versed in AWD (as YOU claimed) can answer.

I am sure Larry will come back with some more insults...but let's play with facts only larry. Cat got your tongue?

Background on me Larry boy: i have been in the 4wd / AWD business a long long time....
Yet you believe that the SHAWD system is so much superior to anything else?! Stop trying to avoid the fact that you think the video is a fair representation. You aren't worth the time to have an adult discussion with because every time you default to strawman or hyperbole. Sorry you were exposed as a fraud but I had to do it for the sake of others reading this board.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Racer

Yet you believe that the SHAWD system is so much superior to anything else?! Stop trying to avoid the fact that you think the video is a fair representation. You aren't worth the time to have an adult discussion with because every time you default to strawman or hyperbole. Sorry you were exposed as a fraud but I had to do it for the sake of others reading this board.

Those are BASIC questions about AWD..."I am very well versed in AWD systems"

LOL...I think that this is the classic example of you getting OWNED!

Too easy...you're an idiot.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:58 AM
Instructor

Those are BASIC questions about AWD..."I am very well versed in AWD systems"

LOL...I think that this is the classic example of you getting OWNED!

Too easy...you're an idiot.
Sorry, if I hurt your feelings and exposed you.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 AM
Racer

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings and exposed you.

Still no answer(s)? Not even one question you can answer? Dude, basics basics basics.

Me exposed? Yeah, ok....
Old 01-07-2015, 05:20 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM
2015 MDX SH-AWD TECH

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Old 01-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX FAN
Absolutely. This guy is obsessed with me. On the other MDX forum he is following me around, then copy and pasted, his exact post about the Audi Quattro verbatim in a completely different thread on a completely different board It is hilarious and creepy. LOL

Quick Reply: Can't Decide: 15 MDX Base AWD vs Tech FWD?