Bullbar & Rear Bumper Protector or hitch w/ hitch step?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bullbar & Rear Bumper Protector or hitch w/ hitch step?

Wanted to get some opinions from members in Acurazine regarding Bullbars, rear bumper protector bars or a hitch with hitch steps?

Had my 16 MDX for a few months and looking to dress it up as I park in the street. Just a matter of time before the bumper will get scratch up. I put a class III/IV hitch already. In doing some research on the rear bumper protection on those tube bars that go around the bumper, looks like I have to remove the hitch to get the rear on. For the front, I was looking at the bullbar but those doesn't really cover the left & right front bumper.

I'd people tell me that the guards can sometimes cause damages on other part of the car if you are in a small fender bender accident.
Others told me that it will protect all around from careless drivers hitting your car when they park.

I live in NYC and parks in the street all day.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
OE Hitch + either a folding hitch step or a real hitch step. At least for the rear, I'm covered.

The tube bars are uuuuugly (imo anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and while I don't particularly like to have a step hanging from the rear, its been quite useful in all the activities i do, plus it's saved me from a few moron parallel parkers.
(I had the smittybuilt folding hitch step, which required a new hitch pin hole to be drilled (easy) )

For the front, options are limited - the best might be the thick hard foam license plate shrouds
Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
remember that some of these devices may interfere with the factory nannies that rely on sensors in the grille or bumper. Many of the manufacturers of these devices fail to warn consumers of that.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone.

I purchased an aftermarket hitch which I was able to install this weekend along with a double tube hitch step that is 30" wide. Hope it serves the purpose as the width doesn't covers the 2 corners of the bumper.

As for the side, I actually got the OE type running boards installed for a decent price except that it doesn't have the MDX logo on the board.

For the front, I went with the bumpshox xl.