Back after a short hiatus!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Back after a short hiatus!

After getting out of our 2010 TL Type SH to accommodate a growing family and crossing over to the Lexus world, my wife and I decided to come back to a Honda/Acura product. We picked up this 2016 MDX w/ Advanced. This time we opted not to go with the AWD since we didn't utilize it here in Texas. So far ownership has been great. I've read a lot of complaints about the 9 spd tranny. I personally can't seem to figure out what the big deal is. The only issue that has annoyed me is having to turn off the auto stop/start every time I get into the car. Other than that we've been happy with this purchase.

Name:  6DF9E678-C714-4D12-9832-74F2990994CF_zpsfkofdhbh.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  199.0 KB
Old 12-19-2015, 06:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome back!Hope you have a great experience with your mdx.I have a 2014 awd tech,and I love the car,but I have the dreaded rear thumping noise over potholes at low speed.Other than that,it has been a great car!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010_Type_SH
After getting out of our 2010 TL Type SH to accommodate a growing family and crossing over to the Lexus world, my wife and I decided to come back to a Honda/Acura product. We picked up this 2016 MDX w/ Advanced. This time we opted not to go with the AWD since we didn't utilize it here in Texas. So far ownership has been great. I've read a lot of complaints about the 9 spd tranny. I personally can't seem to figure out what the big deal is. The only issue that has annoyed me is having to turn off the auto stop/start every time I get into the car. Other than that we've been happy with this purchase.

Congrats!! I love the 9 speed too. The biggest complainers about the 9 speed transmission are people who own 6 speeds and don't even own a 2016 MDX.

I don't like the infotainment system's lag and slow boot up. Your thoughts?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:27 PM
TL SL ML :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey congrats...have you been having/hearing the suspension noise that others have been dealing with? If not, do you know the production date on yours? I ask because I'm also considering picking up a 2016 in the next few days and would be nice to hear if late production cars were problem free in this regard
Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by funtogo
Welcome back!Hope you have a great experience with your mdx.I have a 2014 awd tech,and I love the car,but I have the dreaded rear thumping noise over potholes at low speed.Other than that,it has been a great car!

No I have not experience the rear thumping sound. Our old 2013 Odyssey had this issue in the front and Honda fixed it with a TSB. I haven't had the chance to review the current gen MDX TSB listings so I don't know if this is being addressed by Acura.

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Congrats!! I love the 9 speed too. The biggest complainers about the 9 speed transmission are people who own 6 speeds and don't even own a 2016 MDX.

I don't like the infotainment system's lag and slow boot up. Your thoughts?
Yeah it's not the fastest. From what I can tell it's the same system carried over from the RL and trickled down to several Honda products like the 2015 Accord EX-L+. The boot up on those are pretty much the same. I am disappointed that the 2016 MDX didn't offer Apple/Android car play like the 2016 Accords. Watch the 2017 will have it.

I did my research before I bought the car and paid attention to it during the test drive. After we brought the car home my wife and I continued to pay close attention to the transmission's behavior from stop/start and all speeds. Is it different than a traditional 5 or 6spd? Yes, but it's nothing like what people are saying. To a degree because of all the negative tranny comments on forums, facebook, etc I'm now paranoid about the tranny. However my personal experience still hasn't told me that there's an issue and I'm seeing MDX sales still going strong. SO is it really that bad?

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Hey congrats...have you been having/hearing the suspension noise that others have been dealing with? If not, do you know the production date on yours? I ask because I'm also considering picking up a 2016 in the next few days and would be nice to hear if late production cars were problem free in this regard
Is there an easy way to tell the production date like on the sticker or door jam? Or do I have to decode the VIN?

Last edited by 2010_Type_SH; 12-23-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Instructor

So after 500 miles of ownership here are a few things about this car that I have observed:

Electronic push button transmission select without a physical shifter is so hard to get use to. I'm constantly grabbing air.

The jewel headlight are interesting. The spread is a lot wider than my Lexus GS and the light that is projected is like a soft white. My GS, and most current Lexus products that I have experienced, have a much distinct cutoff and sharper light. I'm not saying either one is better or worse, just different.

Back seat of the car actually doesn't ride very well compared to the previous generation MDX. I've checked my air pressure and had the car in comfort mode. For a luxury car I was expecting a better ride in the rear. Oh well sucks for my kids

I see a lot of interior pieces being interchangeably used in this car with many Honda's I've owned/ridden in. My Lexus is the same as well, but it seems like Acura is more liberal than Lexus.

As a former owner of an Infiniti FX, I have to say the driving position for this car seems better.

The floor mats are garbage. They are like paper thin and of the same quality that I've seen in the 9th gen civics. I'm going to be putting in all weather mats since these don't appear to have a very long life span.

The upgraded milano leather that comes with the advance package I think is worth it. It's a nice touch.

Having the street name displayed under the compass is a simple but very nice feature. It constantly tells you which road you are on.

The front seat belt pre tensioner system catches me off guard every time I get in and out of the car.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:38 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
About 450 miles in I can say I agree initially the shifter was just air. Since then I've gotten used to it and it is much nicer to not have to reach around a shifter to get your drink or whatever you are doing.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010_Type_SH
So after 500 miles of ownership here are a few things about this car that I have observed:

Electronic push button transmission select without a physical shifter is so hard to get use to. I'm constantly grabbing air.

The jewel headlight are interesting. The spread is a lot wider than my Lexus GS and the light that is projected is like a soft white. My GS, and most current Lexus products that I have experienced, have a much distinct cutoff and sharper light. I'm not saying either one is better or worse, just different.

Back seat of the car actually doesn't ride very well compared to the previous generation MDX. I've checked my air pressure and had the car in comfort mode. For a luxury car I was expecting a better ride in the rear. Oh well sucks for my kids

I see a lot of interior pieces being interchangeably used in this car with many Honda's I've owned/ridden in. My Lexus is the same as well, but it seems like Acura is more liberal than Lexus.

As a former owner of an Infiniti FX, I have to say the driving position for this car seems better.

The floor mats are garbage. They are like paper thin and of the same quality that I've seen in the 9th gen civics. I'm going to be putting in all weather mats since these don't appear to have a very long life span.

The upgraded milano leather that comes with the advance package I think is worth it. It's a nice touch.

Having the street name displayed under the compass is a simple but very nice feature. It constantly tells you which road you are on.

The front seat belt pre tensioner system catches me off guard every time I get in and out of the car.
Your mdx does not have adaptive shocks like the last generation did. Therefore putting it into comfort mode will not alter ride comfort whatsoever. I think they should bring back the adaptive shocks, it was a really cool feature, but it seemed like 50% of people could feel nothing, 25% hated the complexity, and 25% really liked it.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Your mdx does not have adaptive shocks like the last generation did. Therefore putting it into comfort mode will not alter ride comfort whatsoever. I think they should bring back the adaptive shocks, it was a really cool feature, but it seemed like 50% of people could feel nothing, 25% hated the complexity, and 25% really liked it.
And the fact that the previous gen shocks would go out prematurely and cost a lot to replace. If Acura would have revised the reliability of the shocks like they did for the revision of a lighter SH-AWD then I'm sure it would be much desired. But I've driven the 2015 and 2016 MDX's as loaners for a few days when my 2011 was in for services, I like the overall feel compared to my truckish ride of my MDX.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
And the fact that the previous gen shocks would go out prematurely and cost a lot to replace. If Acura would have revised the reliability of the shocks like they did for the revision of a lighter SH-AWD then I'm sure it would be much desired. But I've driven the 2015 and 2016 MDX's as loaners for a few days when my 2011 was in for services, I like the overall feel compared to my truckish ride of my MDX.
I agree, they need to address reliability. GM has a very similar system in the escalade and srx, I don't know how reliable it is there either, but they have had it for years, so I assume it is good now.

I also got to drive a 2016 mdx tech and a 2007 tech. Have not gotten to drive a 2007-2013 model with the adaptive shocks yet (though have ridden in one and I swear I could not feel the difference between comfort and sport). I agree that the new mdxs are much more crossover like than the previous gen (but the previous gen was really quite a looker and edgy!)
Old 03-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Wife and I keep the transmission in sport mode and love the steering feel and think the transmission is fine. no complaints besides disabling the auto start/stop feature. Wonder if i can get acura to disable it through a CPU flash... doubt it.

I love that it rides like a nice sedan instead of the SUV truck feel...