any news on the 2017 mdx?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too was really hoping for Apple CarPlay. Honda has it. You would think Acura would offer at least the same if not more than Honda. Disappointed.....

Originally Posted by NelsonLee
Don't hold your breath. If anything, the 4th gen "may" have it. Doesn't look like they're ready to ditch their proprietary horrific software yet.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Since the 17 MDX refresh will most likely stay unchanged from 17-19; I will be looking to upgrade to an used hybrid sh-awd 17-18 MDX version 2-4 years down the road. I figure the reliability data should be out, the return on gas savings -vs- hybrid cost should be less, and the styling will remain current for another 4-6 years afterwards. I'm fine with my 11 MDX Adv/Ent until then.

You got to give Acura credit to offer pretty much 90%-99% we all been screaming for on these forums. Hopefully, we don't start to scream again once we see the prices for all these improvements or reliability slip even more with Acura. There is a larger line in the sand between Honda and Acura IF you go for the Adv hybrid model (lower trim Acura's are still a trim level option to the Honda Pilot). This might bring down used car prices for the Adv and/or hybrid model down the road to cluster around the sweet spot MDX tech+Acura watch sh-awd area.

Since there isn't a rear drive shaft for the hybrid MDX, I figure towing is limited to 3000lbs like the fwd version? It might be even less since the engine is only +250hp 3.0L. Don't know if the rear electric motors work or are effective at +70-75 mph?
I was thinking the same thing, I give Acura credit for pretty much implementing 95% of what the forum members have been talking about. They should market the hybrid as a type-s model with that adaptive suspension have a sport+ setting only on the hybrid!

Originally Posted by JCL622
wow, its' not DOHC, it's SOHC... totally underwhelmed
The article mentioned that it was DOHC, where does it SOHC?

Originally Posted by NelsonLee
Don't hold your breath. If anything, the 4th gen "may" have it. Doesn't look like they're ready to ditch their proprietary horrific software yet.
Yup, this pretty much! They worked so hard designing crap that they wouldn't ditch it just yet. But in theory, the system is not bad, just needs some work like fords sync and touch technology (current version 3)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I was thinking the same thing, I give Acura credit for pretty much implementing 95% of what the forum members have been talking about. They should market the hybrid as a type-s model with that adaptive suspension have a sport+ setting only on the hybrid!

The article mentioned that it was DOHC, where does it SOHC?

Yup, this pretty much! They worked so hard designing crap that they wouldn't ditch it just yet. But in theory, the system is not bad, just needs some work like fords sync and touch technology (current version 3)

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - 2017 Acura MDX updated with available 325hp 3.0L V6 Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system!

"UPDATE. The press release erroneously noted the V6 as being DOHC. We only found out that it was in fact SOHC during our video interview with Gary Robinson, manager of Acura Product Planning."
Old 03-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - 2017 Acura MDX updated with available 325hp 3.0L V6 Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system!

"UPDATE. The press release erroneously noted the V6 as being DOHC. We only found out that it was in fact SOHC during our video interview with Gary Robinson, manager of Acura Product Planning."
Oh....well that really sucks! Acura uses DOHC in their performance engines....SOHC in their economy engines. Remember how I said 0-60 was going to beat the standard mdx? I now take that back, I think the hybrid might even be slower!

At least we got vtec! Oh wait.....everyone has vtec lol
Old 03-24-2016, 02:21 PM

Oh....well that really sucks! Acura uses DOHC in their performance engines....SOHC in their economy engines. Remember how I said 0-60 was going to beat the standard mdx? I now take that back, I think the hybrid might even be slower!

At least we got vtec! Oh wait.....everyone has vtec lol
yeah, it is what it is. Maybe next time. No MDX for me this time, gonna go with the Q7 i most likely.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah, it is what it is. Maybe next time. No MDX for me this time, gonna go with the Q7 i most likely.
True. Good choice! Though to be honest, I am not a huge fan of the new exterior, but the new interior is beautiful! And at least with the q7, you would know that they are at the cutting edge of tech. It also has one if my favorite options, air suspension!

Good kuck
Old 03-24-2016, 05:53 PM

I have air now on the S7 and it's great, but here is where i'm kind of lost in the MDX...

no wifi connection over LTE....or even 3G/4G (depending on carrier)
no car play
engine choice is strange -
no additional ELS upgrade
SOHC still...
at this point if they simply slot it up (it's missing alot of creature comforts and the top of the line model will start inching into better luxury brands.)

If this hits 70,000 - now you're looking at fully loaded Jeep SRT territory LOL which gets kind of saturated with other options. 70,000 also can get you a nice appointed F-Pace, etc etc
Old 03-24-2016, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I have air now on the S7 and it's great, but here is where i'm kind of lost in the MDX...

no wifi connection over LTE....or even 3G/4G (depending on carrier)
no car play
engine choice is strange -
no additional ELS upgrade
SOHC still...
at this point if they simply slot it up (it's missing alot of creature comforts and the top of the line model will start inching into better luxury brands.)

If this hits 70,000 - now you're looking at fully loaded Jeep SRT territory LOL which gets kind of saturated with other options. 70,000 also can get you a nice appointed F-Pace, etc etc
I had air on my Touareg. Simple amazing feature! The S7 is by far my favourite sedan on the market, BY FAR.

No, but I totally get what you are saying. A fully loaded mdx hits 68k here, I imagine this hybrid will hit 72k, thats really close to some of the top dog luxury players, though to be honest, they will come much more basic than the mdx.

The mdx has always lagged behind in tech. I would maybe buy a mdx used, but wouldn't spend 72k on a MDX new and my opinion is if you will spend 72k, what is a few extra k really?

Acura doesn't have reliability like they used to either. They are starting to fail in simple things like the noisy rdx shocks and noisy mdx shocks, the 9 speed at, while mostly smooth, still has some moderate teething issues. But at the end of the day, will "probably" outlast the audi or other german of the same class.

I have my eye on the new f-pace, but I really hate that it won't be had with the beautiful jag V8. At least not yet.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Kbb

Old 03-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
At first it felt like it didnt flow but the more i see the new grille, the more im liking it. Im thinking how it would look like if the V portion of the grille wasnt too deep.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:27 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
At first it felt like it didnt flow but the more i see the new grille, the more im liking it. Im thinking how it would look like if the V portion of the grille wasnt too deep.
Agreed. Some of the early press photos looked like they taped the thing over the beak. However, in the video, it looks a lot better, IMHO.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Agreed. Some of the early press photos looked like they taped the thing over the beak. However, in the video, it looks a lot better, IMHO.
I really like the stitching on the seats. But I don't feel like they really did anything in terms of tech and features. In Canada, we already had real wood trim, surround view cameras, heated steering wheel, and power fold mirrors.

Makes me think, what will the Canadians get with this new gen?
Old 03-25-2016, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Makes me think, what will the Canadians get with this new gen?
A built in Tim Horton's coffee dispenser? A "Maple Syrup" car interior scent? A horn that when you press it yells "get of out my way eh?!" A 'hockey stick' shaped gear knob?
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
RDX10 (03-25-2016), TacoBello (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Talking Pricing

In this vid, Acura says that the price should stay about the same. Elsewhere, they said expect ~10% premium for the hybrid - so the expected $5-6k:

Old 03-25-2016, 08:22 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I would be curious to see a side-by-side performance comparison of the MDX sh-awd -vs- the sh-sh-awd (0-30, 0-60, stopping distance, road handling course, towing, real world mpgs, etc...). I would hate to pay +$5K more for the same or similar performance.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Was really hoping for Carplay
Old 03-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
A built in Tim Horton's coffee dispenser? A "Maple Syrup" car interior scent? A horn that when you press it yells "get of out my way eh?!" A 'hockey stick' shaped gear knob?
Hahahaha I really like you! You must be canadian to have come up with those ideas. I approve the maple syrup scent and the tim hortons dispenser. I would also like to see an, "I am sorry" light that could light up on the rear bumper when doing something impolite.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
TacoBello (03-25-2016), weather (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I would be curious to see a side-by-side performance comparison of the MDX sh-awd -vs- the sh-sh-awd (0-30, 0-60, stopping distance, road handling course, towing, real world mpgs, etc...). I would hate to pay +$5K more for the same or similar performance.
I agree as well. You would think that with the mdx being so large, they would want it to make it have at least as much power as the rlx. I feel that with the added weight of the batteries, this model may be just as fast or possibly slower than the standard mdx.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I'm actually really surprised there is no carplay either. Can't have everything though, I guess.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

I agree as well. You would think that with the mdx being so large, they would want it to make it have at least as much power as the rlx. I feel that with the added weight of the batteries, this model may be just as fast or possibly slower than the standard mdx.
I think it will be slightly faster. It does have a weight bump, but don't underestimate the instant torque of the electric motors. I think the additional 35hp will be enough to move the extra weight in line with the previous loaded MDX, but the instant torque will make it just a tad bit faster. It's the braking that will likely suffer a bit, though.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Here's a tidbit from TOV http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1274493

"The addition of the hybrid system means that the Sport Hybrid MDX is roughly 200lbs heavier than the SH-AWD MDX. We were told that the MDX Sport Hybrid's 0-60 performance is essentially the same as the conventional 3.5L SH-AWD powertrain with 9-speed automatic transmission, but the Sport Hybrid system delivers better performance than the 3.5L powertrain in passing maneuvers. "
Old 03-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
No more delay in down shifting and no more gear hunting plus better fuel economy. The 5.9sec 0 to 60 on the current mdx is actually not too shabby.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Hahahaha I really like you! You must be canadian to have come up with those ideas.
Yep...100% Canadian, a Maritimer actually, from NB.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
the more and more I check thew new MDX, the more I want to buy one
Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I'm actually really surprised there is no carplay either. Can't have everything though, I guess.
And why not? If this stuff is available on the civic, it should have been available on the mdx first.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I think it will be slightly faster. It does have a weight bump, but don't underestimate the instant torque of the electric motors. I think the additional 35hp will be enough to move the extra weight in line with the previous loaded MDX, but the instant torque will make it just a tad bit faster. It's the braking that will likely suffer a bit, though.
Read a post below your post, looks like it is the same speed as I expected. I don't undervalue electric instant torque ever (look at the monster times posted by teslas). But the biggest issue with electric propulsion right now is weight. If they could make batteries out of lighter materials, it would make a world of difference. Another thing I am wondering about is if the added weight will make the mdx less nimble and increase body roll/ruin decent handling.

Originally Posted by neoshi
Here's a tidbit from TOV Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Update from New York - 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid information

"The addition of the hybrid system means that the Sport Hybrid MDX is roughly 200lbs heavier than the SH-AWD MDX. We were told that the MDX Sport Hybrid's 0-60 performance is essentially the same as the conventional 3.5L SH-AWD powertrain with 9-speed automatic transmission, but the Sport Hybrid system delivers better performance than the 3.5L powertrain in passing maneuvers. "
At least there is less delay in downshifting, but disappointing to see no real gain in going with a system that will inevitably cost an arm and a leg to repair later on.
Originally Posted by weather
Yep...100% Canadian, a Maritimer actually, from NB.
Haha I knew it! Only a Canadian can understand another Canadian like that. Another 100% fellow canadian here, Albertan though!
Old 03-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Was really hoping for Carplay
Right now, it's not quite a deal breaker, but the mainstream car buyer is going to demand it sooner than later, I fear.

Acura needs to get on this.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (03-28-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Right now, it's not quite a deal breaker, but the mainstream car buyer is going to demand it sooner than later, I fear.

Acura needs to get on this.
I agree but I may know what's holding this up for some manufacturers. My new GMC Sierra Denali has both-I use Android Auto. On a recent trip I noted that maps moved to satellite when there was no cell phone reception. I had assumed that most of the map would download to the vehicle but not true. GM Onstar may be more advanced since its been around for years so GM might have a leg up.
Google maps can be downloaded and saved for off cell use so this seems strange and may be temporary. I can't believe how nice and simple to use. There are a lot of useful features but one I like most is the ability to ask by voice questions! How far to... Closest gas station.... Navigate to Costco.... For many businesses you don't need an address, just the name. After having it I don't want another vehicle unless AA and CP are included.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I agree but I may know what's holding this up for some manufacturers. My new GMC Sierra Denali has both-I use Android Auto. On a recent trip I noted that maps moved to satellite when there was no cell phone reception. I had assumed that most of the map would download to the vehicle but not true. GM Onstar may be more advanced since its been around for years so GM might have a leg up.
Google maps can be downloaded and saved for off cell use so this seems strange and may be temporary. I can't believe how nice and simple to use. There are a lot of useful features but one I like most is the ability to ask by voice questions! How far to... Closest gas station.... Navigate to Costco.... For many businesses you don't need an address, just the name. After having it I don't want another vehicle unless AA and CP are included.
Huh? What download?

Google maps (as you mentioned) has a download feature for maps so that a cell connection is no longer required, but what are you talking about?
Old 03-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ceb
Huh? What download?

Google maps (as you mentioned) has a download feature for maps so that a cell connection is no longer required, but what are you talking about?
Android Auto-Google Maps feature-No cell service-Uses Satelite for map updating...
The connection notification bar changes from cell to satellite when you no longer have cell service. I had a dark spot of 50 miles at one point. (Dark=No cell service)
Old 03-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I took a picture under the rear end of the mdx while at the car show this Saturday.

It shows the dual exhaust
The following 4 users liked this post by 007Acura:
Curious3GTL (03-28-2016), neo1738 (03-28-2016), pilozm (03-28-2016), Timmy18 (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 06:46 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
When will MDX have a panoramic sunroof?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:25 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Acura
I took a picture under the rear end of the mdx while at the car show this Saturday.

It shows the dual exhaust
Is that the Adv sh-sh-awd or tech sh-awd model?

Can't see why Acura couldn't add a supercharger down the road to the 3.0L sh-sh-awd if the 3.5L was too big for this gen or the next gen MDX. Honda's old 3.0L V-6 were about 195-212lbs of TQ. I imagine with DI the TQ might get bumped up to 220-230lbs of TQ range. Towing might be less than the 3.5L fwd MDX?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
That was the white hybrid on display
Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
are 16s gonna get blown out with the 17 changes?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
are 16s gonna get blown out with the 17 changes?
If they are then I'm first in line.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:14 PM
Team Owner

lol.. honda putting on a supercharger... that'll be the day.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ceb
If they are then I'm first in line.
Find dealers with lots of lots of 16 inventory...

RX350 2015 model were blown out for 8500-10,500$ per unit, due to 2016 changes....
Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad the US '17 will have folding mirrors and auto high beams. It's about time. Now we need all-speed for the ACC, or at least 20 mph instead of the silly 25 mph. It's just a simple software change.

I don't see the '17 being a big seller. Acura will have to the rush the 4 Gen to market. Customers could care less that the MDX is the all-time sales leader in three row SUVs/crossovers.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:33 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

If the current 3G MDX is still selling relatively well, there's no need to launch the 4G MDX earlier than the planned 5-year Acura product cycle.

It is the RLX that needs the attention to speed up the full model redesign.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Safety Car

17 MDX will sell just fine, till the new RX long wheel base gets released.....

Quick Reply: any news on the 2017 mdx?