any news on the 2017 mdx?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
I like the changes, much more aggressive then before. Man now i'm wondering if I should just hold onto my MDX a few years and buy a used 17+ model.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:43 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
It said it had an Active Suspension. Did Acura go back to magnetic struts/shocks. Does it include different front/rear stabilizer bar sizes? Does the Active suspension have addition settings other than sport and comfort?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Is the 7sp DCT on the 2017 MDX the same as the current RLX? Real tempting, but I can't see myself letting go of my 2nd gen.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 AM
mrgold35

The sport hybrid RLX sh-awd starts at $60k/tech and $66k/Adv. I don't see why the MDX version wouldn't be that far off in price.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:31 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I will say the new changes are pretty nice. I just got my 16 on 3 yr lease so when the 4th gen comes our or these are perfected I'll have a great option. Liking the option of captain chairs too.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
That grille. Are they stupid? Why does Acura absolutely struggle with making a grille???

I don't know. I kinda like it. Though somewhat plain, it looks clean and sophisticated to me. It will age well.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Im switching the A logo to an S. Lol

Very interested in the sport hybrid.

Now they need to do the same to the tlx... 325hp, 7 dct...
Old 03-23-2016, 12:06 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I kinda like it....

Old 03-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I like it. It looks more aggressive and at the same time not to overly done nor too tame/bland. The rear looks good enough and not without having to change the sheet metal itself. I like the option of the Captain's Middle Row which gives it a more luxurious feel for the passengers. The additional powertrain option is always good to have and it being a sport hybrid was a surprise yet not so much. I think Acura has always wanted to incorporate it with the MDX but wasn't sure how it was going to be taken by the consumers. I'm glad they did it. Just my .02

-DeL
Old 03-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I don't know if I like this or not. I like the front end more now, it is a lot more menacing now and has some visual appeal in terms of angles, I really don't like those rear exhausts however.

I also like and dislike the new powertrain. I like that they went for the true sport hybrid system and I also like that they added an adaptive suspension. I like that Acura FINALLY put in a DOHC engine into the mdx (the last gen rdx had them too) because honda uses dohc for perfomance engine and sohc for economy engines. I however hate that they gave us a 3.0 V6 and no turbos rather than just giving us the j35 and hybrid setup like in the rlx. But I feel that this being a perfomance engine, it probably achieves torque at a much lower rpm which would make it feel much more powerful than the high strung j35. I am really curious what the 0-60 time will be. Those electric motors will provide instant torque coupled with the (can't beleive they put a) dual clutch might even see the beast get to 60 in under 5....but with the added weight (which now that I think about it, may be why they downsized in engine size as well) it could very well only get a few 1/10's of a second advantage.

Now on to the interior....I like the orange-brown color, but was really expecting a nicer interior. Something like diamond stitching and even leather dashboard. Oh well, I guess leave that for the next gen.

Oh and double thumbs up to Acura for the first nice wheels in a LONG time
Old 03-23-2016, 01:43 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I don't know if I like this or not. I like the front end more now, it is a lot more menacing now and has some visual appeal in terms of angles, I really don't like those rear exhausts however.

I also like and dislike the new powertrain. I like that they went for the true sport hybrid system and I also like that they added an adaptive suspension. I like that Acura FINALLY put in a DOHC engine into the mdx (the last gen rdx had them too) because honda uses dohc for perfomance engine and sohc for economy engines. I however hate that they gave us a 3.0 V6 and no turbos rather than just giving us the j35 and hybrid setup like in the rlx. But I feel that this being a perfomance engine, it probably achieves torque at a much lower rpm which would make it feel much more powerful than the high strung j35. I am really curious what the 0-60 time will be. Those electric motors will provide instant torque coupled with the (can't beleive they put a) dual clutch might even see the beast get to 60 in under 5....but with the added weight (which now that I think about it, may be why they downsized in engine size as well) it could very well only get a few 1/10's of a second advantage.

Now on to the interior....I like the orange-brown color, but was really expecting a nicer interior. Something like diamond stitching and even leather dashboard. Oh well, I guess leave that for the next gen.

There is no way this is will be under 5 seconds. My guess will be 5.6 at best.

I like the changes, but it doesn't look like they updated the Navi/MMI - so i guess no carplay, and still alpine based system? That alone is a huge deal breaker.....

I want to be able to build it to see what it comes to.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JCL622

I like the changes, but it doesn't look like they updated the Navi/MMI - so i guess no carplay, and still alpine based system? That alone is a huge deal breaker.....

Thats what I also think. Initially said under 5, but then gave it more thought and no, just a few tenths better (which btw 5.6 would still be pretty damn good). I would take it lol!

I also looked at the navigation interface hoping they changed something, but you know its possible they migr have, though nothing mentioned in the info I have been able to find.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:26 PM

Thats what I also think. Initially said under 5, but then gave it more thought and no, just a few tenths better (which btw 5.6 would still be pretty damn good). I would take it lol!

I also looked at the navigation interface hoping they changed something, but you know its possible they migr have, though nothing mentioned in the info I have been able to find.
I would also be happy if this was faster than 5 second, but it's just not what Honda/Acura Does. Maybe in the future, but it's too hard to imagine that working.

I see they will bring power folding mirrors finally here, and adaptive suspension, however i don't see any mention of Air, so I wonder what set up it will truly be.

Glad to see SH-AWD is not gone.

I feel like if there was going to be an MMI update, they would've said something. The fact that it still shows the ghetto one where all the words are cut off is a huge let down. Not to mention they still will be using the "ultrawide" rear seat entertainment system...."

I'm hoping to be surprised, but i think the promo pics would have showed Android Auto or Car Play then.

Beyond that, no true update to the ELS system etc etc.... not sure if i'll be interested in this or not yet. I really want to be, i'm a huge fan of Honda, but i don't think this was enough.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I would also be happy if this was faster than 5 second, but it's just not what Honda/Acura Does. Maybe in the future, but it's too hard to imagine that working.

I see they will bring power folding mirrors finally here, and adaptive suspension, however i don't see any mention of Air, so I wonder what set up it will truly be.

Glad to see SH-AWD is not gone.

I feel like if there was going to be an MMI update, they would've said something. The fact that it still shows the ghetto one where all the words are cut off is a huge let down. Not to mention they still will be using the "ultrawide" rear seat entertainment system...."

I'm hoping to be surprised, but i think the promo pics would have showed Android Auto or Car Play then.

Beyond that, no true update to the ELS system etc etc.... not sure if i'll be interested in this or not yet. I really want to be, i'm a huge fan of Honda, but i don't think this was enough.
You gotta remember that this is just a mid cycle refresh and not a redesign. So to be honest, they did WAY more than I expected. Most manufacturers will slap on a new front bumper, more or less plastic in the tail lights, a couple new colors and wheel options and call it a day.

Granted, what you are asking for isn't stuff that they couldn't easily add becusss I think there is apple carplay and android auto on the new civic, correct?

Acura is waking up though. For example, the new rdx has cooled seats and a suite of advanced collision tech that should have been available but wasn't on the 2013-2015 models. The steps they are taking for each models' mmc are rather large, I feel like the next gen will finally be a step ahead. Right now the interior tech is WAY behind.

But thankfully shawd is still here, hopefully they bring it back in the rdx.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:28 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
The sport hybrid RLX sh-awd starts at $60k/tech and $66k/Adv. I don't see why the MDX version wouldn't be that far off in price.
I think of it this way:

The RLX Sport hybrid is $5500 over RLX FWD.

The current MDX FWD starts at $43k. Adding Sport hybrid for $5500 would bring it to $48.k. But this sport hybrid configuration is less costly (smaller engine without direct injection), so it might only be a $5k premium, so..roughly $48k. The current MDX SH-AWd starts at $45k. That means the sport hybrid has a $3k premium over the SH-AWD system.

The top of the line MDX is $57k right now (SH-AWD with Advance and Entertainment Packages), adding sport hybrid will probably bring it to $60k even.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:35 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Can someone tell me what's the difference in the inside / dash of new MDX. It still looks the same to me.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I would think the acceleration will be similar to the current setup. The added power helping to offset the additional mass of the batteries. Adding the Garmin based infotainment system is fantastic. Looks Like I got everything I wanted in the MMC. Now bring on a compact SUV and Sport Hybrid TLX.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:53 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
the new grille looks like Kia. at least the beak was an Acura trademark, can't mistaken that, not sure about the new front end. rest of the car look the same, i thought Acura gonna make the refreshed MDX more sporty look, still looks like a luxury wagon.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink C&d

2017 Acura MDX

In announcing the updated-for-2017 MDX, Acura has a little bit for everybody. For the typical luxury three-row crossover shopper, there is delight to be had in Acura making its AcuraWatch safety features—including automatic emergency braking—standard on every MDX. For driving enthusiasts who need an MDX because their litter of kids won’t fit in a Mazda MX-5 Miata, Acura now is offering its “3-motor” Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system.

More Super Handling

The Sport Hybrid’s SH-AWD setup shares its basic layout with that of the NSX supercar, albeit flipped 180 degrees to suit the front-engine MDX. As in the NSX, there is a V-6 engine with a supplemental electric motor at 1 end of the car and 2 electric motors located at the opposite end. Here, the layout mimics that of the Acura RLX sedan’s Sport Hybrid variation, with the gas-fed V-6 and its integrated electric motor powering the front wheels and the twin electric motors feeding the rear wheels. Instead of the 3.5-liter engine in the regular MDX, the Sport Hybrid’s V-6 engine displaces 3.0 liters and incorporates a fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation feature. (We’re told the MDX’s packaging precluded the bigger 6’s fitment together with the electric bits.)

With all 3 electric motors and the smaller V-6 working together, the MDX Sport Hybrid puts out 325 horsepower—35 more than the regular MDX’s 3.5-liter 6. The V-6 itself contributes 257 horsepower, and the rest comes from the electric motors. Other differences? The Sport Hybrid’s front electric motor is incorporated within a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission while the standard MDX uses a conventional 9-speed automatic. At the rear axle, the Sport Hybrid’s dual electric motors deliver torque-vectoring, while the all-wheel-drive gas model does the same via a rear differential. Compared with the RLX sedan, the MDX’s Sport Hybrid system is down 52 horsepower and lacks the ability to propel the car solely on electricity using the rear motors. Still, the sport-oriented MDX looks to have other hybrid crossovers such as the Lexus RX450h and the Infiniti QX60 thoroughly beat on the excitement front.

The Sport Hybrid system also offers fuel-economy benefits. Although official EPA figures are still to come, Acura estimates that the 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid will get 25 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. That city figure is a full 7 mpg higher than the all-wheel-drive 2016 MDX’s EPA estimate, and 6 mpg better than the AWD 2016 model with the optional stop-start system. (The highway figure is unchanged.) We expect the EPA ratings for the non-hybrid 2017 MDX won’t change from the 2016 model’s 19/27 mpg city/highway with front-wheel drive and 18/26 with all-wheel drive.

Where’s the Beak?

For all the under-the-skin changes to the 2017 MDX, the most evident difference is right on its face. The MDX becomes the 1st mainstream Acura to ditch the brand’s signature metal “shield” grille; besides resembling an avian snout, the old design was more brutal than beautiful. The new grille is a streamlined, pentagon-shaped piece derived from that on the Precision concept that debuted at January’s Detroit auto show. Acura also reshaped the LED headlights, the hood, and the fenders to accommodate the new look. Elsewhere, there’s a splash of chrome on the rocker panels, a new rear bumper, and integrated dual exhaust outlets. Overall, the updates give the MDX a cleaner, lower, and wider look. As to the aforementioned safety gear, every MDX buyer now gets automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning, forward-collision warning, lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, and road-departure mitigation.

In adding new tech, ditching the beak, and offering a hybrid model, Acura has made effective improvements to its popular 3-row family hauler that should only expand its appeal. The standard model launches this summer, while the Sport Hybrid arrives a few months later.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:19 PM
Honda OG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Noeshi at mdxer.org: 20" wheels on upper trim.. Real wood!.. Capt seats 2nd row... Electronic parking brake... New cameras... New 3.0L v6 sport hybrid 3 motor!! 325 hp!!... New active sport suspension with sport+!... Awp standard!!... And the new facia, rear bumper, and dual exhaust.

Pics from Nelson iPhone at mdxer.org at the autoshow:

Thanks for the photo credit

I am working on the better pics now, will post asap.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (04-03-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 06:49 PM
mrgold35

I'm a little disappointed the 3.0L engine+7DCT hwy mpgs are the same. I figured there would be a 1-2 mpg hwy bump with the engine/hybrid tech. We have to see real world mpgs might be higher. I wonder if they eliminated stop/start and cylinder deactivation for the hybrid MDX?

Looks like there isn't a drive shaft driving the rear wheels along with the electric motors for the hybrid version. It would be cool if the hybrid sh-awd works on and off the gas pedal on the curves to vector the torque as needed. That is the only thing I don't like about my 11 MDX and 08 RDX, sh-awd only works with engine power applied on a curve.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Honda OG

Some of my pictures from the press conference:

The following 2 users liked this post by NelsonLee:
pilozm (04-03-2016), Ron.s (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 PM
mrgold35

Looks like Conti DWS 06 tires for the Adv model. Those are my favorite tires, I have them on all three of my Acuras.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a lot to like. Did they set an intro date, have read several reports no mention! Assume it will be available this fall.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Looks like Conti DWS 06 tires for the Adv model. Those are my favorite tires, I have them on all three of my Acuras.
I do wonder if those will show up on the production model. Honda has a habit of showing/testing with really nice tires and then selling with really cheap ones. I'm guessing they're maybe 255/50/20? So hard to find good stuff in the current 19 spec.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Well done Acura. New grill, exhaust tips, seats are super cool with those stitches and the advance package with pilot seats. New engine, standard AcuraWatch and etc.

For a MMC, this is a lot. When I saw Audi Q7, Volvo XC90 and Acura MDX's review, I felt Acura MDX is behind them. But with these changes, Acura is back. I hope they keep the number one position in 3 row SUV sales.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm a little disappointed the 3.0L engine+7DCT hwy mpgs are the same. I figured there would be a 1-2 mpg hwy bump with the engine/hybrid tech. We have to see real world mpgs might be higher. I wonder if they eliminated stop/start and cylinder deactivation for the hybrid MDX?

Looks like there isn't a drive shaft driving the rear wheels along with the electric motors for the hybrid version. It would be cool if the hybrid sh-awd works on and off the gas pedal on the curves to vector the torque as needed. That is the only thing I don't like about my 11 MDX and 08 RDX, sh-awd only works with engine power applied on a curve.
In the post right above yours, the press release mentions that cylinder deactivation will still be present. While stop-start is not mentioned, though I can't see them not implementing this on the hybrid model.

In terms of shawd functionality, it really sucks that it won't be able to run only the rear wheels like in the rlx.

But this really is a HUGE step in the right direction. For the longest time ever acura has only offered one engine choice per vehicle. The mdx has only ever gotten the standard j-series V6. Nice to see them taking this luxury thing more seriously and offering more options.

Whats the chances of this same setup making it to the rdx? That would truly be amazing. I think would put the audi q5 and x3 in their place (along with the sport suspension of course)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:47 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 exhaust system

hello just want to know any members here have put an aftermarket exhaust system on a 2014 and up mdx i have a 2015 mdx and was wondering which one would be best to get
Old 03-23-2016, 09:00 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bhaktac5
hello just want to know any members here have put an aftermarket exhaust system on a 2014 and up mdx i have a 2015 mdx and was wondering which one would be best to get

This is posted in the wrong spot. Check for DIY forums or just post a new thread on the main 3G MDX forums.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts

look you have one of the ugliest suvs of all time. how can you not like the new mdx?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nexx
look you have one of the ugliest suvs of all time. how can you not like the new mdx?
Says who? Mind your own business. You like it, cool, good for you. I don't like it. Does that bother you? I really don't care, move along!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Says who? Mind your own business. You like it, cool, good for you. I don't like it. Does that bother you? I really don't care, move along!
you hate on everything Acura produces now so why not mind your own business.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:09 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Looks like the upcoming MMC MDX is more than capable of upholding the crown for continuing being the best selling Acura model.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nexx
you hate on everything Acura produces now so why not mind your own business.
I didn't comment on your post, you commented on mine. So yes, mind your own business. I have my opinion, don't like it, too bad.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
With those close up shot of the captain chairs, the seat design with the stitching looks really good. If I were in the market for one, I would really consider the ebony interior option, and I don't like black interiors.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:43 AM

i'm still kind of hoping if there was a switch internally that Apple Play will still be added in. (Although at this point probably not). I mean....the 2017 GT-R looks like it'll get Apple Play...LOL

But even if I did bite the bullet with this car, I think all those Chromes pieces would have to be wrapped black day 1
Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 AM
mrgold35

Since the 17 MDX refresh will most likely stay unchanged from 17-19; I will be looking to upgrade to an used hybrid sh-awd 17-18 MDX version 2-4 years down the road. I figure the reliability data should be out, the return on gas savings -vs- hybrid cost should be less, and the styling will remain current for another 4-6 years afterwards. I'm fine with my 11 MDX Adv/Ent until then.

You got to give Acura credit to offer pretty much 90%-99% we all been screaming for on these forums. Hopefully, we don't start to scream again once we see the prices for all these improvements or reliability slip even more with Acura. There is a larger line in the sand between Honda and Acura IF you go for the Adv hybrid model (lower trim Acura's are still a trim level option to the Honda Pilot). This might bring down used car prices for the Adv and/or hybrid model down the road to cluster around the sweet spot MDX tech+Acura watch sh-awd area.

Since there isn't a rear drive shaft for the hybrid MDX, I figure towing is limited to 3000lbs like the fwd version? It might be even less since the engine is only +250hp 3.0L. Don't know if the rear electric motors work or are effective at +70-75 mph?

Last edited by mrgold35; 03-24-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 MDX owner - really like the new look, no beak, exhaust outlets -- all positives!

I like the idea of the captain's chairs in the 2nd row - but for anyone who has sat in the car (or will during the week when the NYAS opens to the public) - can you tell me if its possible to climb in between the 2nd row seats to the 3rd row?

The Highlander has a collapsable center console for the 2nd row so you can squeeze between the seats to the 3rd row and Pilot's center console looks lower than on the MDX so you can climb over it. I'm not sure I see the advantage of the captain's chairs if you can't do that. The MDX also appears to only have seating for 2 in the 3rd row - while the Highlander / Pilot could seat 3 (3 small people obviously - but there are at least seatbelts for 3).

Other question is - would it be possible to move the 2nd row seats forward for 3rd row access with a car seat installed? Other 3-row SUVs can slide the 2nd row all the way forward without the back needing to tilt forward, so you can do it with a car seat installed.

As a parent, being able to install 2 car seats in the 2nd row with the 3rd row still accessible either between the 2 seats in the 2nd row or being able to move the seats forward with a carseat installed would be really nice. One of the things I dislike most about the 2014 MDX - but at least with the 2014 I can put 2 seats in the longer bench seat and still access the 3rd row on the passenger side.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 AM

wow, its' not DOHC, it's SOHC... totally underwhelmed
Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Honda OG

i'm still kind of hoping if there was a switch internally that Apple Play will still be added in. (Although at this point probably not). I mean....the 2017 GT-R looks like it'll get Apple Play...LOL

But even if I did bite the bullet with this car, I think all those Chromes pieces would have to be wrapped black day 1
Don't hold your breath. If anything, the 4th gen "may" have it. Doesn't look like they're ready to ditch their proprietary horrific software yet.

Quick Reply: any news on the 2017 mdx?