any news on the 2017 mdx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by sktn77a
I think all this talk about a new 2017 model is bogus. Acura's past product cycle time for the MDX was 7 years. Look for a new model in 2021/2022!
It is not a product cycle...it is sort of halfway between a mmc and refresh. In 2016 they did a minor revision with new transmission because the 2014 mdx was severely lagging behind competition in terms of gear number. So now in 2017, they are doing the semi-mmc but realizing that they have become bland generic asian-mobiles, acura is trying to bring some masculinity and aggression back.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:18 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
That picture ain't no MMC!

Jeff over at TOV says he was told Acura is calling it a 'major' MMC.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
Jeff over at TOV says he was told Acura is calling it a 'major' MMC.
It's a more extensive styling change than most Acura/Honda mid cycle re-do's, as the front and rear are all new, as are wheels, but the rest of the car is the same.

First one to get the new "look" of Acura, to follow by others later in years to come. Shield grille will remain on others like RDX and TLX until their next re-do's.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RDX10
Sh-awd is what will save the Acura brand. Without it we have fancy hondas. Seriously, look around, what differentiates a honda from acuras these days? Almost nothing.

They are doing a really poor job of being a "luxury" brand and simultaneously a poor job of being a "sporty" brand. Taking away shawd would give us slightly warmed over hondas. The new rdx is vanilla, the new mdx is hanging on, the rlx is a joke beside the e class and 5 series. The tlx (I actually like) but is also generic asian design. Ilx (I had a loaner hybrid) no further comment.

So I think they HAVE TO keep the shawd. But they need to expand, either go in towards luxury or sport. You can't do both unless you go up in pricepoint and NO ONE I know would spend 90k on an mdx or rlx.
I agree, I'm shopping and Sh-awd is one reason I like Acura. A little more modern exterior look would go a long way too. The leaders in sales, Lexus and Cad just did a major redesign with bold if not polarizing exteriors.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by randomRon82:
neoshi (03-10-2016), TSX69 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Looks like Trapezoid grill on a Adv model (roof rails). Maybe fogs are becoming standard or standard on Adv model. Can't tell if the rear is camo, looks like the exterior changes are only to the front end (dual exhaust?).
Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I agree, I'm shopping and Sh-awd is one reason I like Acura. A little more modern exterior look would go a long way too. The leaders in sales, Lexus and Cad just did a major redesign with bold if not polarizing exteriors.
To be honest, I find lexus and cadillac "too" polarizing. I liked the exterior looks of the last gen rx f-sport much more than the current one, but the interiors of curent lexus cars is amazing. Blow any acura straight out of the water.

But that front end is WAY too angular for me, I hate how it is so long, it looks good from some angles, but nasty from others to be honest.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Wait until everyone realizes that the 2016+ pilot uses the same components as the 2016+ mdx for shawd lol
Old 03-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neoshi
Wait until everyone realizes that the 2016+ pilot uses the same components as the 2016+ mdx for shawd lol
While this is true, I would bet that the mdx drives WAY better than a pilot.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While this is true, I would bet that the mdx drives WAY better than a pilot.
Why do you think this? While that may have been true for the previous generation Pilot, I think we are now looking at an RDX/CRV-like pairing. I guess we need to wait until someone test drives both.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
I like the wheels in that spyshot, glad the Tech model wheels in the 2014-16 will be leaving. Can't wait to see the (hopefully) sportier direction this car needs to be going in
Old 03-11-2016, 02:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Why do you think this? While that may have been true for the previous generation Pilot, I think we are now looking at an RDX/CRV-like pairing. I guess we need to wait until someone test drives both.
The pilot is higher than the mdx by quite a bit, both roof line and ground clearance. Therefore higher center of gravity, with typical honda tuning equals willowy, pillowy, rolling, brick.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:22 AM
Racer

The pilot is higher than the mdx by quite a bit, both roof line and ground clearance. Therefore higher center of gravity, with typical honda tuning equals willowy, pillowy, rolling, brick.
Ermm i think the 2016s are equal ground clearance but the pilot is only about 2" taller. The suspension springs are different by a bit, though the rest of the suspension is nearly identical. It's quite close this MY!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 Acura MDX Caught During Testing: Off-Road.com

Last edited by Kirill; 03-11-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:00 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
They really didni't try to hide too much did they lol.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
i see dual exhaust but holy, that's some ugly rims!
Old 03-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Ermm i think the 2016s are equal ground clearance but the pilot is only about 2" taller. The suspension springs are different by a bit, though the rest of the suspension is nearly identical. It's quite close this MY!
Really? Must be the cladding on the pilot makes it look higher than it is, and those 2 inches make a world of difference. Also the mdx is certainly tuned more towards sporty than the pilot.

Also I know the parts are the same for the awd system. But do we know if they function the same?

Originally Posted by jzhu625
i see dual exhaust but holy, that's some ugly rims!
I beleive those are pilot advance rims, most likely not staying.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Racer

The MDX has a more "wheels out" stance which makes it look lower. The Pilot is actually wider than the MDX but has the same track so it's wheels appear more inset which makes it look taller.
The following users liked this post:
LuvMyTSX (03-13-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
"The 2017 mdx will boast substantial design enhancements"

I dont think by only changing the grille and adding exposed exhausts qualifies as substantial... way to hype it, then kill it, acura!!!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Racer

Really? Must be the cladding on the pilot makes it look higher than it is, and those 2 inches make a world of difference. Also the mdx is certainly tuned more towards sporty than the pilot.

Also I know the parts are the same for the awd system. But do we know if they function the same?

I beleive those are pilot advance rims, most likely not staying.
Yeah I have to admit despite being pretty much mechanical twins, the programming they put into the Pilot makes it much more of a family vehicle than anything else. Not as responsive to throttle, more boaty (springs are definitely different and softer), but it definitely isn't as bad as before. Actually, it feels like a Highlander--pretty numb overall.

The programming for the SH-AWD and i-VTM4 are different for sure. Honda changed the torque vectoring behavior too but it's pretty decent IMO. Like when I drive the Highlander, I'm like urghhh I'm just rolling along in a boat. But the Pilot is bit more responsive to inputs than the Highlander, just not as much as the MDX.

And yep, those wheels...
Old 03-12-2016, 02:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah I have to admit despite being pretty much mechanical twins, the programming they put into the Pilot makes it much more of a family vehicle than anything else. Not as responsive to throttle, more boaty (springs are definitely different and softer), but it definitely isn't as bad as before. Actually, it feels like a Highlander--pretty numb overall.

The programming for the SH-AWD and i-VTM4 are different for sure. Honda changed the torque vectoring behavior too but it's pretty decent IMO. Like when I drive the Highlander, I'm like urghhh I'm just rolling along in a boat. But the Pilot is bit more responsive to inputs than the Highlander, just not as much as the MDX.

And yep, those wheels...
I would expect them to make the pilot softer though, it is meant to be a family car first, whereas the mdx is sort of intended to be a bit sporty first.

At the end of the day, there is only so much they could do to make a 3 row family crossover "sporty". I personally would want my 3 row crossover to be on the soft side.

I haven't driven the new highlander or pilot yet, I thought they fixed it up.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Racer

This is really specific, but does anyone see white piping in any of the pics?? I think I see what looks to be piping on the headrests, especially on the passenger headrest in the 4th pic on post #54.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by atl7
This is really specific, but does anyone see white piping in any of the pics?? I think I see what looks to be piping on the headrests, especially on the passenger headrest in the 4th pic on post #54.
Good eyes. The seats are indeed changed and include stitching.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by atl7
Wow really good eye! Yes it is white piping! Yes this is a really good thing! Has anyone here seen the black volvo xc90 r-design seata with the white piping? Looks stunning.

I hope Acura is starting to take it seriously.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
I wonder if the rear bumper is final. Looks like they placed the exhaust where the reflectors used to be. Where do the reflectors go?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mondster
I wonder if the rear bumper is final. Looks like they placed the exhaust where the reflectors used to be. Where do the reflectors go?
Iirc, they are going to be vertical and outside of the exhausts.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
To be honest, I find lexus and cadillac "too" polarizing. I liked the exterior looks of the last gen rx f-sport much more than the current one, but the interiors of curent lexus cars is amazing. Blow any acura straight out of the water.

But that front end is WAY too angular for me, I hate how it is so long, it looks good from some angles, but nasty from others to be honest.
Same here. I couldn't believe when I saw the new RX, I just about barfed in my mouth!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The MDX has a more "wheels out" stance which makes it look lower. The Pilot is actually wider than the MDX but has the same track so it's wheels appear more inset which makes it look taller.
Interesting this makes such a huge difference. One thing I dislike about the Pilot is how tall it looks....much more so than the MDX.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Same here. I couldn't believe when I saw the new RX, I just about barfed in my mouth!
I really wonder how well the current crop of lexus vehicles will do. It is like they were baking something and then accidentally added too much ugly in. You can't just push every crease at an extreme angle and then think that it makes it sporty.

I have not driven the new generation rx yet, but I am almost certain it has zero bite to match the bark.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I really wonder how well the current crop of lexus vehicles will do. It is like they were baking something and then accidentally added too much ugly in. You can't just push every crease at an extreme angle and then think that it makes it sporty.

I have not driven the new generation rx yet, but I am almost certain it has zero bite to match the bark.
It is almost as if they are saying "how can we change the design in order to alienate all of our current customers in order to attract a few new ones that probably can't afford it anyway."
Old 03-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Racer

Yeah the 3G RX was just pretty, the new gen seems too sporty (for their intended market) no matter what trim you get it in, Lexus just took a way different direction with the new exterior style. I think this new MDX will be a good combination of elegance and aggression.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
It is almost as if they are saying "how can we change the design in order to alienate all of our current customers in order to attract a few new ones that probably can't afford it anyway."
Thats exactly what I mean. Anyone who "really" wants a sporty crossover walks to the bmw, audi, or mercedes dealer. You can't just slap on a bunch of creases and then BAM you have a sporty car.

The people who buy lexus vehicles (generally) are not looking for sport. So why bother alienating the people who would actually buy it anf could afford it?

I don't know whats going to at lexus HQ. I feel that the next refresh will tone it WAY back.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:11 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
on the other MDX forum there's a MT that already saw it and a few members who have confirmed with their SA. All the dealerships were invited out a few weeks before Detroit to go see it.

- So advance grill (just not as extreme looking) lol
- LED fogs are vertical (not sure what that means but i'm thinking XC60 style)
- Exhaust will be visible and replace the rectangular reflectors and the rectangular reflectors get moved to the side a bit more.
- full LED tails
- a few more creases which i think were shown in the pictures above.

- headlights received a bit of a nip tuck - still 5 jewel led though

- confirmed that interior will be a bit more luxurious

- captains chairs for 2nd row as an option.

No real comments on engine or interior

although alot of us are hoping for a massive shift in MMI so it's more up to par with current cars and for Carplay / Android Car.

hopefully the rear seat entertainment system gets rehauled a bit.

folding mirrors for US spec? (lol i think this topic has been one since my 3G TL days)

also hoping to see a retooled 3.5L V6 making 320-300HP and 300-310 TQ.

also praying the SH-AWD stays.

WILL trade in S7 for MDX if these things are all true. the stuff above the hopes have been confirmed multiple times.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JCL622

also hoping to see a retooled 3.5L V6 making 320-300HP and 300-310 TQ.

WILL trade in S7 for MDX if these things are all true. the stuff above the hopes have been confirmed multiple times.
I'm not an expert but my understanding from reading other people who would know is that the J35 is pretty much tapped out at 310 hp and 276 lb-ft as in the RLX. The numbers you're talking about probably aren't achievable in an OEM application. I think the only known Honda engine that could hit those numbers in an OEM application is the 2.0T.

Also the specific language of the press release says: "advanced new powertrain technology" which seems too indicate a piece of the powertrain will be all new and not revised as you suggest. It also, unless they are being purposefully obtuse, doesn't seem to indicate a new engine because of the word "technology". My guess is the 10AT they've already shown will be on board. I suppose it could be a single turbo put on the J35 as that's been done in racing a bunch and would be "advanced" and "new". That engine could easily get 320 hp/310 lb-ft I would think but I highly highly highly doubt that will happen.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm not an expert but my understanding from reading other people who would know is that the J35 is pretty much tapped out at 310 hp and 276 lb-ft as in the RLX. The numbers you're talking about probably aren't achievable in an OEM application. I think the only known Honda engine that could hit those numbers in an OEM application is the 2.0T.

Also the specific language of the press release says: "advanced new powertrain technology" which seems too indicate a piece of the powertrain will be all new and not revised as you suggest. It also, unless they are being purposefully obtuse, doesn't seem to indicate a new engine because of the word "technology". My guess is the 10AT they've already shown will be on board. I suppose it could be a single turbo put on the J35 as that's been done in racing a bunch and would be "advanced" and "new". That engine could easily get 320 hp/310 lb-ft I would think but I highly highly highly doubt that will happen.
Why not 300 hp? Lexus has 305hp with their 3.5 v6, kia has 290hp with a 3.3 v6 (on regular!). But that torque? I really really doubt it. Probably closer to 280 (MAYBE).

A single turbo? Would be absolutely brilliant, imagine 350lb/ft at 2000rpm, would make the mdx an absolute rocket.

Fingers crossed here!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:30 PM
Racer

Why not 300 hp? Lexus has 305hp with their 3.5 v6, kia has 290hp with a 3.3 v6 (on regular!). But that torque? I really really doubt it. Probably closer to 280 (MAYBE).

A single turbo? Would be absolutely brilliant, imagine 350lb/ft at 2000rpm, would make the mdx an absolute rocket.

Fingers crossed here!
If you look at the performance numbers the MDX doesn't need more power across the board. C&D tested the 2016 at 5.9 seconds to 60 - the 6AT was 6.4 seconds. So it's somewhere in between those numbers. Which is plenty fast enough below $55k which is where the majority of MDX trims are - certainly below $50K the MDX has plenty of performance. The Kia you mention is 7.2 seconds to 60 - the new RX is somewhere in the mid 7s. The MDX is light and the transmissions put the power down.

It needs a Type-S option. If you look at the weight of the MDX the engine they would love to have is something like a 320 hp 315 lb-ft turbo 5 or 6. 30 more hp and 40 more torques would make it a low/mid 5 second SUV I think and Acura could price it, SHAWD only, $52/56/60K base/tech/advance.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neo1738
They really didni't try to hide too much did they lol.
Doesn't look like there was much to hide..... maybe a tarted-up front grill (?)
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

If you look at the performance numbers the MDX doesn't need more power across the board. C&D tested the 2016 at 5.9 seconds to 60 - the 6AT was 6.4 seconds. So it's somewhere in between those numbers. Which is plenty fast enough below $55k which is where the majority of MDX trims are - certainly below $50K the MDX has plenty of performance. The Kia you mention is 7.2 seconds to 60 - the new RX is somewhere in the mid 7s. The MDX is light and the transmissions put the power down.

It needs a Type-S option. If you look at the weight of the MDX the engine they would love to have is something like a 320 hp 315 lb-ft turbo 5 or 6. 30 more hp and 40 more torques would make it a low/mid 5 second SUV I think and Acura could price it, SHAWD only, $52/56/60K base/tech/advance.
I still don't see why they wouldn't be able to get more power, the only reason I see why they wouldn't want more power, is power equals worse fuel economy. But I like and completely agree with your thought process. They should absolutely have a type-s with a single turbo V6. Would put the q7 s-line in its' place. While not being too far being the gls63 amg.

Performamce is good, but to people who care about this stuff, not good enough. And eek really? The new rx takes roughly 7.5 to 60? Ouch! So much for "F-Sport" lol
Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Racer

I still don't see why they wouldn't be able to get more power, the only reason I see why they wouldn't want more power, is power equals worse fuel economy.l
It's also just not necessary for the money they start the MDX at. $43K is $12,000 less than what the X5 35 starts at and it has very similar performance numbers according to C&D. Braking is really the only thing that stands out as being weak on the MDX. If Acura is ever going to be taken seriously by the "big boys" and cross-shopped by those who buy and own them then they have to offer serious alternatives at prices that are a bit closer in line with what the German's charge while still offering value. A $60-62K MDX Type-S like I talked about would be a serious product at a serious price point with serious value that would actually make the German's sit up and take notice. Putting 300 hp in the MDX across the board does nothing for the brand and the German's won't blink or care.

So I just don't see any reason for the MDX to get more powerful across the board. The 3G debuted with less hp and less displacement than the 2G and it has sold in record numbers for Acura so going with 290 hp hasn't hurt the brand so far.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't be long now and the speculation will end. Got to be a change to the engine or transmission if you believe the press release!

Quick Reply: any news on the 2017 mdx?